Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Cousins and Clutterbuck are two guys I'd target to push MacEwen to the 13th forward spot.
Cousins easily Plays over a few players. He was a regular for a Stanley Cup champ. When they went to the SCF he played top 9.
The leafs also hate him as he eliminated them in overtime. It's perfect make it happen.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Jensen's contract is for two yrs right? JBD replaces Hamonic full time after this season & Yakemchuk takes Jensen's spot after his contract is done the following season. I think this is the plan, if it works out.

Sanderson - Zub
Chabot - JBD
Kleven - Yakemchuk
I hope Kleven becomes the big physical D we both want on this team. I don't see JBD becoming that type of D, nor an offensive D. I have high hopes for Yakemchuk.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Any of Clutterbuck, Schultz, or Klingberg would be awesome, but I doubt we have the capspace for any of them if they want more than league minimum.

No to cousins unless we're using him as fodder against the Rempe's of the league.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
No one else had a rhd. Play the market or it plays you. Let's actually see some games before all this preseason panic at the disco sets in
I would have tried Sanderson at RD instead; there was no need to trade for an old declining vet RD who is obviously trending down fast to probably 3rd pair RD.

Any of Clutterbuck, Schultz, or Klingberg would be awesome, but I doubt we have the capspace for any of them if they want more than league minimum.

No to cousins unless we're using him as fodder against the Rempe's of the league.
I disagree with the "awesome" part; might be "interesting" though! :)

Reactions: bicboi64

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I would have tried Sanderson at RD instead; there was no need to trade for an old declining vet RD who is obviously trending down fast to probably 3rd pair RD.

That's a tough one after a season of Lefties failing on the right side. Who steps up to play LD in that scenario of Sanderson sliding over? Chychrun for 1 year with his awful play and then?

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Forsberg + Ostapchuk for Askarov?

It doesn't make sense. If the Senators wanted Askarov, they would have traded for him instead of Ullmark. He was without a doubt available, and the trade request is obviously the player forcing the team to move him after patiently waiting for years. Remember, they offered him up at the 2023 draft.

Not to mention, I doubt Askarov wants to come to a team with a starter already set in place that the Senators will no doubt re-sign, and it doesn't make sene for Ullmark to sign here long term and willingly enter into what will eventually become a goalie controversy.

Nashville is not going to get full value for Askarov, but they will get a better piece than Ostapchuk. They will still get a 1st+, they just aren't getting 11th overall in 2020 type value, which with how deep that draft was is probably like a top 5 pick some years.

Reactions: ChurchOfAlfie

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison

Chychrun trade was about more than handedness. It was clearly about on ice fit stylistically. Look at the pattern with the RHD they were attached to other than Jensen. Tanev was the big one, and then Roy. Ironically, Washington signing Roy as an upgrade is likely what made Jensen expendable.

They also aggressively tried to reshape the roster because whatever was going on in the room wasn't working. They did not have many avenues to reshape the roster. Dorion locked everybody in with contracts that either had big money or big term relative to the role of the player. They aren't moving Sanderson, Tkachuk, Stutzle, Pinto, etc - unless forced to by outside circumstances. Any of the players that people suggest they move (Chabot, Norris, etc) aren't moveable because of their contracts. So they either could have gone into the season with the same top 4 as last year, which clearly didn't work, or they could change the complexion of the lineup in one of the few ways they were able to.

On paper, I don't think it was a good trade. A team in a different spot that is more secure likely doesn't feel the need to do that. Given our situation, it made sense. It's difficult to evaluate the value of it without knowing what offers were made for Chychrun at the TDL or later at the draft. I look at some of the ridiculously low prices that players went for at the TDL, and then I look at Marino (who had term) go for two 2nd round picks, and it tells me that the market for Chychrun was likely very soft.

Reactions: LiseL

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
If those are the players then within a year of it I wouldn’t be surprised if the third pair outplayed the second pair. (Not sure you have them in any order).
Of course, we expect that eventually the young guys will replace the older guys & Ott has a couple of guys on defence who have potential to move up such as Andonoski LD & Stanley RD, two dark horses who have NHL potential.

I’d do that trade but Askarov wants an NHL deal. Unless he’s be good with next year.
Yes, maybe we could move Forsberg in another deal or try to trade him throughout the yr & get something back for him too getting Askarov into the backup spot sooner.

Reactions: Cosmix

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Fantastic deal by MTL. Laine would not work there if they paid a big price to acquire him, but the opposite is true, too - the fact that they basically got paid to add him will lead to an abundance of goodwill from fans and media... at least to start out with. As long as he tries hard and is healthy, this is a can't-lose deal.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Fantastic trade for Montreal? They're paying $17.4M for a 2nd round pick and a lottery ticket that this guy's career isn't dead dead.
He had mental health issues but he's scored 61 points in his last 73 games.

With only two years of term, a track record as a high end goal scorer and only 26 years old it's a very good gamble by the Habs. Not much risk at all.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Fantastic trade for Montreal? They're paying $17.4M for a 2nd round pick and a lottery ticket that this guy's career isn't dead dead.
It's certainly a very good deal from the perspective of a small market like Columbus. They clear the entire 18.2M of real cash owed to Laine, get a serviceable NHL defenseman in return and all it costs them is a 2nd round pick? Makes a lot of sense for them. What Laine does in Montreal is totally irrelevant to them; the well was already poisoned.

It's funny to me when I read about this being no-risk for Montreal. That's an easy thing to say when it's not your 18M dollars on the line, I guess. Though I suppose it is essentially no-risk for a money printing franchise like Montreal. Realistically there can't be very many other teams that would ever consider taking on this kind of risk.

Good illustration of the difference between the two tiers of teams in this league.

Reactions: 2CHAINZ

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
It isn't a no risk move. There is a large opportunity cost attached to taking on that contract. 17.4M in cap over 2 years is a massive asset to give up. The Penguins just got a 3rd+5th for 2.5M in cap to take Joseph, San Jose got a 3rd to take 3.25M in Ceci, St.Louis got a 3rd to take about 6M in Joseph. That isn't to say those players are all exactly equal.

The risk is that if Laine doesn't bounce back, and slogs through the rest of the contract, the Canadiens are losing out on major assets that they could have acquired with that 17.4M in space.

The reward is that if Laine bounces back and is a big body 30-40 goal scorer, they will either get a big return for him in a trade, or extend him as a member of their core.

I do not like Canadiens fans because they are the worst, which is a valid reason to dislike them, but I'm not going to be surprised that a fan base in a rebuild is excited about the idea of acquiring a massive former superstar who is only 26, and is a year removed from point-per-game status.

I am unsure what his personal/health issues were or if it has come out, but I would guess it played a factor, combined with his poor commitment to his overall game. This isn't his first "change of scenery", but I get Canadiens fans just enjoying the acquisition.

People here are just salty because all these moves remind us of how badly the asset acquisition portion of our rebuild went due to our inability to weaponize our cap space under Melnyk, and the directive for Pierre Dorion to "win now" by giving up a 2nd for Derick Stepan because is signing bonus was already paid.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Except Laine REALLY sucks. He is done.
Laine might turn his career around with the help he has received. Martin St Louis might be the tonic he needs as a coach.

That's a tough one after a season of Lefties failing on the right side. Who steps up to play LD in that scenario of Sanderson sliding over? Chychrun for 1 year with his awful play and then?
Would have liked to try it out. I think Sanderson is such a good skater and defensive player that he could have made the switch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad