Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Laine might turn his career around with the help he has received. Martin St Louis might be the tonic he needs as a coach.

For Laine to work out he’ll need significant PP opportunities as the shooter.

I’m not the biggest Caufield guy but do they really want to give Laine his minutes?

Reminds me of the sens adding DeBrincat when our PP was already clicking. Could be a good player but is there really a fit? Not clear.

That said the price is right for a gamble.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Laine had 108 points in 111 games from 2021-2023.

This is an excellent add for Montreal at no cost other than cap space. Laine is 26 and has the talent to be a top player in the NHL. St-Louis hopefully can give him some confidence and he'll be a good player.

This should give Montreal two good scoring lines. If they can be healthy and have a bit of luck on their side they could surprise this year. Some question marks with Dach, Laine and Hutson but there's potential for them to surprise.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
real good move for Mtl

These are the types of moves ottawa should have done earlier in their rebuild

Watch them flip him next deadline for another pick like they did with Monahan

Or better yet they could have traded for a stepan for a 2nd rounder

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
real good move for Mtl

These are the types of moves ottawa should have done earlier in their rebuild

Watch them flip him next deadline for another pick like they did with Monahan

Or better yet they could have traded for a stepan for a 2nd rounder
Habs were the only team, that didn’t want retaining on the contract, so Waddell went with that one.

milkbag

Jul 31, 2018
Not sure if sending a guy with mental health difficulties to one of the most intense and scrupulous hockey markets on the continent is the right play.

I'm rooting for Patrik though.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
For Laine to work out he’ll need significant PP opportunities as the shooter.

I’m not the biggest Caufield guy but do they really want to give Laine his minutes?

Reminds me of the sens adding DeBrincat when our PP was already clicking. Could be a good player but is there really a fit? Not clear.

That said the price is right for a gamble.
I think Caufield could really fit well in the bumper spot he has a quick release and he is elusive at getting away from checks and getting shots off in tight situations. Really thats about all he does well, I am not a Caufield guy either paying him that much is crazy to me. Unless he is scoring he isnt doing much.

Not sure if sending a guy with mental health difficulties to one of the most intense and scrupulous hockey markets on the continent is the right play.

I think there is a reasonable argument that he could flourish in that type of market if he's given the right opportunity. For how long though? I dont know.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison

I had the thought when they made the trade that Columbus was angry at him for nerfing the market, so they gave Montreal a 2nd to take him out of spite.

Obviously, I don't think that actually happened.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
I think Caufield could really fit well in the bumper spot he has a quick release and he is elusive at getting away from checks and getting shots off in tight situations. Really thats about all he does well, I am not a Caufield guy either paying him that much is crazy to me. Unless he is scoring he isnt doing much.

I think there is a reasonable argument that he could flourish in that type of market if he's given the right opportunity. For how long though? I dont know.

Bumper isn’t the front of the net or anything but he’d definitely be in a higher traffic area. We’ll have to see whether he’s willing to hang out there. Not convinced lol.

ChurchOfAlfie

Dec 4, 2016
Depending on what's going on with his health/grievance, I wouldn't mind signing Johansen to a cheap deal. One more centre option to cover for Norris' shoulder, depth on the wing otherwise. Could be a decent bottom six piece.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Bumper isn’t the front of the net or anything but he’d definitely be in a higher traffic area. We’ll have to see whether he’s willing to hang out there. Not convinced lol.
I think he would be in a similar role to Point on Tampa.

Depending on what's going on with his health/grievance, I wouldn't mind signing Johansen to a cheap deal. One more centre option to cover for Norris' shoulder, depth on the wing otherwise. Could be a decent bottom six piece.
I dont think you want this guy in the dressing room at all. Not on the culture this organization is trying to build.

Silky Johnson

I wish you all the bad things in life.
Mar 9, 2015
London, UK

Laine is doing nothing when not scoring. That's alot of nothing in your top 6.

I know the habs are rich but paying 19M this season for two guys who play a very 1 dementional game seems... gratuitous.

Laine may have off ice issues but his on ice issues are a bigger red flag. The guy has all the physical gifts but has zero compete and zero fire.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Laine is doing nothing when not scoring. That's alot of nothing in your top 6.

I know the habs are rich but paying 19M this season for two guys who play a very 1 dementional game seems... gratuitous.

Laine may have off ice issues but his on ice issues are a bigger red flag. The guy has all the physical gifts but has zero compete and zero fire.
He has alot of talent almost a ppg over his last 120 games. I agree not a High compete level but the Habs lack talent and size. I think it's worth the risk on their end. I dunno about 0 fire. He has shown it in the past. I think it's a risk worth taking in that teams current development cycle. Maybe he finds his game again. If he can stay healthy is likely a 35 70 player. Which they essentially got for nothing.

Silky Johnson

I wish you all the bad things in life.
Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
He has alot of talent almost a ppg over his last 120 games. I agree not a High compete level but the Habs lack talent and size. I think it's worth the risk on their end. I dunno about 0 fire. He has shown it in the past. I think it's a risk worth taking in that teams current development cycle. Maybe he finds his game again. If he can stay healthy is likely a 35 70 player. Which they essentially got for nothing.

It's not a terrible risk I suppose considering they are not likely to make the playoffs either way.

There is a reason why no one offered more, or offered be paid less to take him. He is expensive, a liability in his own end and has pushed himself off two teams already.

Maybe they flip him for picks or maybe he is a trainwreck and does damage to a young teams culture.

If I had Montreals prospect pool, I don't know if I would take the risk.

ChurchOfAlfie

Dec 4, 2016
I dont think you want this guy in the dressing room at all. Not on the culture this organization is trying to build.

Yeah, that's the worry. On the other hand, I always take "locker room cancer" type rumours with a healthy grain of salt.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Yeah, that's the worry. On the other hand, I always take "locker room cancer" type rumours with a healthy salt.
Look up Toews comments last year. Nashville straight up ate half his salary just to get rid of him. Philly immediately sent him to the minors. More than a grain of salt on this player.

ChurchOfAlfie

Dec 4, 2016
Look up Toews comments last year. Nashville straight up ate half his salary just to get rid of him. Philly immediately sent him to the minors. More than a grain of salt on this player.

He played in Nashville for 7.5 seasons and wore a letter for 6 of those. He was overpaid which is why they got rid of him. That's not evidence of anything beyond his play regressing.

The Toews comments and whatever's going on with Philly, fine. But that's why I said to wait and see what comes out of the grievance. Regardless of what happens, it's gonna be interesting to see what material breach Philly is alleging.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
He played in Nashville for 7.5 seasons and wore a letter for 6 of those. He was overpaid which is why they got rid of him. That's not evidence of anything beyond his play regressing.

The Toews comments and whatever's going on with Philly, fine. But that's why I said to wait and see what comes out of the grievance. Regardless of what happens, it's gonna be interesting to see what material breach Philly is alleging.

Trotz got rid of multiple players when he took over, because he identified them as being bad for the team culture. It was a similar situation to the one we had this offseason, where Staios has tried to reshape the roster to change the complexion of the room.

Trotz did this despite having to eat significant salary to get rid of players like Johansen and Duchene.

Johansen went to Colorado, and Duchene went to Dallas. Both those teams already have established rooms with veteran leaders that are entrenched. Still, it didn't work out in Colorado for Johansen.

I think for the way our team is right now, we have to be careful about the compete and type of person we bring in. I obviously can't say if Johansen would be a negative presence, other than anecdotal evidence, but assuming he isn't the best for a less established room, they shouldn't bring him in.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

They retained 50% and gave him away and you're ignoring it. Maybe he was the culture problem. They had a great year last year without him. Clear addition by subtraction.

They aren't gonna sign him. Not sure why you're defending it. Staios has made a concerted effort to add quality people and get rid of the most inconsistent players.

Waiting to see the obvious?... There are players that are bad for team culture it's certainly a real thing.

ChurchOfAlfie

Dec 4, 2016
They retained 50% and gave him away and you're ignoring it. Maybe he was the culture problem. They had a great year last year without him. Clear addition by subtraction.

They aren't gonna sign him. Not sure why you're defending it. Staios has made a concerted effort to add quality people and get rid of the most inconsistent players.

Waiting to see the obvious?... There are players that are bad for team culture it's certainly a real thing.

They retained 50% and gave him away *because he wasn't worth 8 million*. If you think they were happy with his play for that money, and instead dealt him away because after almost 600 games with the franchise they suddenly discovered attitude issues, we'll agree to disagree.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad