Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
He’s got a NMC
With the modernization of the training and medical departments over the last year, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if the team has less injuries and people perform better than expected. There may be a chance that when Hamonic does play, sharing time with JBD, he is servicable. There is so much structural work being done to the organization to support employees/players/staff to succeed it should show positive results. Right? Right? Please right.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
I still believe the Senspiracy that Hamonic will go on LTIR to create additional space to add a #5-6 defenseman.

I find it hard to believe that we are going to go into the season with this group. Our depth drops off a cliff after Sanderson, Zub, Chabot, and Jensen. While you can point to JBD, Kleven, Guennette, and say maybe one of them will take a big step forward and become a player we can trust to anchor the bottom pair, I don't think the team is in a position to gamble on that.

Even if we do not trade for Ceci or Kleven, there might be a trickle-down effect where if a team acquires one or both, they opt to move one of their own defenseman instead of acting as a third party.

Just an example, using a name that was brought up before in this thread - let's hypothetically say there is a team who would give up an asset for Whitecloud, even with the current cap constraints across the league, Vegas could approach Edmonton and say we'll take Kulak if he is bundled with a 3rd, then they could open up the cap by flipping Whitecloud to a third team for an asset. I am not saying that the two players are interchangeable, but with the depth Vegas has and where Whitecloud slots in, they could do something like that.

Maybe it's the wrong name to bring up, because I doubt they could move Whitecloud any more easily than Vegas can move one of their two D (it has nothing to do with him being good or bad, just cap dynamics).

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
I still believe the Senspiracy that Hamonic will go on LTIR to create additional space to add a #5-6 defenseman.

I find it hard to believe that we are going to go into the season with this group. Our depth drops off a cliff after Sanderson, Zub, Chabot, and Jensen. While you can point to JBD, Kleven, Guennette, and say maybe one of them will take a big step forward and become a player we can trust to anchor the bottom pair, I don't think the team is in a position to gamble on that.

Even if we do not trade for Ceci or Kleven, there might be a trickle-down effect where if a team acquires one or both, they opt to move one of their own defenseman instead of acting as a third party.

Just an example, using a name that was brought up before in this thread - let's hypothetically say there is a team who would give up an asset for Whitecloud, even with the current cap constraints across the league, Vegas could approach Edmonton and say we'll take Kulak if he is bundled with a 3rd, then they could open up the cap by flipping Whitecloud to a third team for an asset. I am not saying that the two players are interchangeable, but with the depth Vegas has and where Whitecloud slots in, they could do something like that.

Maybe it's the wrong name to bring up, because I doubt they could move Whitecloud any more easily than Vegas can move one of their two D (it has nothing to do with him being good or bad, just cap dynamics).

Jensen is not good, don't be fooled. He's fallen off a cliff; expecting him to bounce back is wishful thinking.
Ottawa is still missing the elusive top-4 RD to complement the other three you listed.

• Haha
Reactions: bert and Cosmix

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Jensen is not good, don't be fooled. He's fallen off a cliff; expecting him to bounce back is wishful thinking.
Ottawa is still missing the elusive top-4 RD to complement the other three you listed.
Jensen RD is a transition piece until one of Ottawa's RD shows they can pass him on the depth chart. Hamonic RD will be gone next yr & it is expected that Guennette RD at some point soon should be NHL ready & ready to replace Hamonic or Jensen. JBD RD should also get better as he gains more experience. & Matinpalo is decent depth.

Then there is Yakemchuk RD who will also be pushing for a roster spot in a yr or two & Stanley RD is a dark horse who had a very good development camp. If not they have the resources & assets to make another transition deal if they need to bring in another vet RD until their own prospects become NHL ready.

Reactions: Duncstar

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Jensen RD is a transition piece until one of Ottawa's RD shows they can pass him on the depth chart. Hamonic RD will be gone next yr & it is expected that Guennette RD at some point soon should be NHL ready & ready to replace Hamonic or Jensen. JBD RD should also get better as he gains more experience. & Matinpalo is decent depth.

Then there is Yakemchuk RD who will also be pushing for a roster spot in a yr or two & Stanley RD is a dark horse who had a very good development camp. If not they have the resources & assets to make another transition deal if they need to bring in another vet RD until their own prospects become NHL ready.
I agree with your comment about Yakemchuk but that will take 2 years to become a reality. The others are not inspiring a lot of confidence.

The Waffler

Smartest Man-Child on HF
Jul 10, 2009
Planet Earth
With the modernization of the training and medical departments over the last year, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if the team has less injuries and people perform better than expected. There may be a chance that when Hamonic does play, sharing time with JBD, he is servicable. There is so much structural work being done to the organization to support employees/players/staff to succeed it should show positive results. Right? Right? Please right.

They can rebuild him like new. Stronger, Faster, Better.

I’ll remain optimistic that he can play a bottom-six role at a similar level he was playing two seasons ago. He was a trainwreck last year but he was playing up in the lineup due to injuries and he wasn’t healthy himself either.

At 7-9 minutes a game I think if we’re blaming him for losses, we’re probably fooling ourselves….But with that said, he’d likely be around 12-15 mins/game.

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island

Not convinced with this approach. JBD and Guennette are long shots, probable career AHLers.
Yakemchuk needs two years to be NHL ready, at which point he will be good but not at his peak.
Ottawa needs to win now to avoid further deterioration of their locker room chemistry.
Banking on Kleven on the left is one thing, but doing that with no option on the right is a recipe for a terrible season.
Ullmark will definitely help us win more but the team is a Sanderson/Chabot/Zub injury away from disaster.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Not convinced with this approach. JBD and Guennette are long shots, probable career AHLers.
Yakemchuk needs two years to be NHL ready, at which point he will be good but not at his peak.
Ottawa needs to win now to avoid further deterioration of their locker room chemistry.
Banking on Kleven on the left is one thing, but doing that with no option on the right is a recipe for a terrible season.
Ullmark will definitely help us win more but the team is a Sanderson/Chabot/Zub injury away from disaster.
Staois seems to be taking this path since we have seen no other deals since early in July. You may not like it, but it's clear they believe in Jensen being their top 4 guy with the other three Sanderson, Chabot & Zub until someone in their prospect pool takes a spot.

Guennette & JBD are long shots, but they are the best we have at the moment as depth players unless another deal is made which doesn't seem likely until they see how their season transpires. If it's another slow start they may make a quick move. but Staois does not seem like a guy that makes impromptu moves & rather takes his time & evaluates his position. We'll see, but I think they are set now to start the season & are banking on their young guys to eventually take spots of veterans as vets age out.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I agree with your comment about Yakemchuk but that will take 2 years to become a reality. The others are not inspiring a lot of confidence.
Jensen's contract is for two yrs right? JBD replaces Hamonic full time after this season & Yakemchuk takes Jensen's spot after his contract is done the following season. I think this is the plan, if it works out.

Sanderson - Zub
Chabot - JBD
Kleven - Yakemchuk

Reactions: Duncstar

Loach

Jun 9, 2021

Which players are RD?

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
He had a not so great year last year. Fallen off a cliff is extreme. I don’t agree with the price we paid to acquire him tho

The Chychrun return was extremely disappointing. I am still reticent to judge the price of Jensen as anything close to what Chychrun originally cost us until we find out what kind of offers were made for Chychrun at the draft or the trade deadline.

John Marino and a 5th went for two 2nd round picks. Marino had term. So if it turns out that the return for Chychrun would have been something like two 2nd round picks, then a 3rd+Jensen is more tolerable.

I doubt Jensen was our first choice based on all the different names we were tied to via rumours, and I understand people who are not sold. I hope he bounces back and is a good fit here.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Oilers acquire Podkolzin from VAN.

I wonder if the Oilers will move one of the veteran wingers that they signed in July to help make room to match the offer sheets. The idea being, teams usually don't trade people they just signed, but their justification is that they were forced to by the Blues obstructing their cap situation. Someone like Jeff Skinner.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Oilers acquire Podkolzin from VAN.

I wonder if the Oilers will move one of the veteran wingers that they signed in July to help make room to match the offer sheets. The idea being, teams usually don't trade people they just signed, but their justification is that they were forced to by the Blues obstructing their cap situation. Someone like Jeff Skinner.
Don't think they can move Skinner

It seems like Holloway is gone

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018
And there goes Ceci

Some sens hfboards posters:

1000001575.gif

Everybody else:

1000001577.gif

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
And there goes Ceci

View attachment 901794

Everybody else:

View attachment 901796

San Jose doesn't have a retention spot either, so they aren't flipping him to us.

They could still flip him to another team while taking back a bad contract instead of retaining.

And there goes Ceci

View attachment 901794

Everybody else:

View attachment 901796

Why did you pluralise 'poster' when referring to me?

Reactions: Relapsing

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Jensen's contract is for two yrs right? JBD replaces Hamonic full time after this season & Yakemchuk takes Jensen's spot after his contract is done the following season. I think this is the plan, if it works out.

Sanderson - Zub
Chabot - JBD
Kleven - Yakemchuk
If those are the players then within a year of it I wouldn’t be surprised if the third pair outplayed the second pair. (Not sure you have them in any order).

Reactions: aragorn and bert

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Feels a bit like Lehner when we put Anderson and Bishop ahead of him and wanted Lehner in the minors. I guess Askarov feels ready for the NHL. Had we drafted him, he might be asking out because our defensive breakdowns were making him look worse. I wonder if only developing teams will take the risk on him playing this year and have the prospect and 1st rounder to pay? At least i am assuming that would be the price

Reactions: Bileur

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Trades aside, there is still Schultz and Klingberg available in the bargain bin.
Also, wouldn't mind taking a flyer Labanc
Doesn't like Jensen but wants Klingberg?....

Labanc is slow and soft no thank you.

I'd consider Schultz though.

I'd like to see Cousins get signed or be brought in on a PTO.

Forsberg + Ostapchuk for Askarov?
Maybe they're throw in Evangelista too!

And there goes Ceci

View attachment 901794

Everybody else:

View attachment 901796
It was never ever happening.

Reactions: Relapsing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad