Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com please DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Honestly, if I'm Edmonton I would probably trade Kane instead of Ceci to gain cap space(assuming the former is healthy).

Ceci ain't perfect, but if you trade him your defense becomes super thin, unless you expect Broberg to take a big step this year(which tbf maybe Edmonton is expecting that).
Do you think Ceci is much better than broberg

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Do you think Ceci is much better than broberg

Based on what Broberg has shown to be so far at the NHL level, Ceci is a better player. Next year, or the year after, that could be different.

Even if you disagree, the other factor is that Ceci doesn't have term. In 2025-2026, Edmonton is going to have to give massive raises to both Draisaitl and Bouchard. That is likely a big reason why St.Louis opted to go 2 years instead of 1 year.

So if the choice is keep Ceci at 3.25Mx1Y or keep Broberg 4.5Mx2Y, cap flexibility is going to factor in. Add in the fact that Ceci likely costs an asset to dump without retention where as keeping Ceci gets them an asset via the Broberg compensation.

Which is more valuable for Edmonton? Broberg overpaid for 2 years, and giving up possibly two second round picks (the one from STL, and the one that it will likely take to dump Ceci in duress) - or Ceci signed for 1 year, and getting two second round picks (1 from STL, and 1 by proxy that they get to keep through not having to dump Ceci).

This is very well thought out by STL. I'll be shocked if Edmonton matches on Broberg.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Based on what Broberg has shown to be so far at the NHL level, Ceci is a better player. Next year, or the year after, that could be different.

Even if you disagree, the other factor is that Ceci doesn't have term. In 2025-2026, Edmonton is going to have to give massive raises to both Draisaitl and Bouchard. That is likely a big reason why St.Louis opted to go 2 years instead of 1 year.

So if the choice is keep Ceci at 3.25Mx1Y or keep Broberg 4.5Mx2Y, cap flexibility is going to factor in. Add in the fact that Ceci likely costs an asset to dump without retention where as keeping Ceci gets them an asset via the Broberg compensation.

Which is more valuable for Edmonton? Broberg overpaid for 2 years, and giving up possibly two second round picks (the one from STL, and the one that it will likely take to dump Ceci in duress) - or Ceci signed for 1 year, and getting two second round picks (1 from STL, and 1 by proxy that they get to keep through not having to dump Ceci).

This is very well thought out by STL. I'll be shocked if Edmonton matches on Broberg.
Can't believe I'm saying this, but keeping Ceci over Broberg seems like the right play.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Can't believe I'm saying this, but keeping Ceci over Broberg seems like the right play.

The issue though is that Edmonton is in a position where the term and AAV is too high for Broberg, they need the flexibility next year too. The 2nd year is really complicating the situation for Edmonton. They need to re-sign key pieces next offseason so in reality it's almost as if the flexibility of keeping Ceci (who has a 1 year deal at lower AAV) is appealing.

I would not have been surprised at all to see them trading Ceci and trying to keep Broberg around the same AAV or even lower. The amount of money he got is absurd and I'm sure Edmonton were offering 2M at the most.

Now they are essentially forced to potentially keep Ceci instead. Player for player they would take the younger and more promising option. Ceci was gone this offseason regardless and Broberg can play in the NHL.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Ceci is a little expensive at 3.25M if they don't retain, but Kulak at 2.75M could be a nice pickup if the Oilers are desperate to move him.

Left handed D but has spent some time in the right side.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Ceci is a little expensive at 3.25M if they don't retain, but Kulak at 2.75M could be a nice pickup if the Oilers are desperate to move him.

Left handed D but has spent some time in the right side.

If we can get a third party to retain, Ceci would be a better fit because of our current cap situation. It's less likely that we could find a team to retain on Kulak, because he has term beyond this season. Ceci would be a veteran for our bottom pair.

Hypothetically, I think if Edmonton could find a third party to retain, they could dump Ceci for less. Compensating a team for taking 1.625M of dead cap and burning one retention spot might be cheaper than compensating a team for taking Ceci at 3.25M when so few teams have free cap space who aren't a budget team.

If Utah is involved, and if they value getting Weber's LTIRetired contact off the books, Edmonton could also consider taking that contract to lower the cost of Utah being a third party for them. Utah doesn't need to dump that contract, and his 1M owed is apparently partly covered by insurance - but if they expect to spend closer to the cap next season they might value getting it off the books as to not have to worry about the added complication of going into LTI. Edmonton is already going into LTI this season with Kane. If he is going to be out for the entire season, adding another player on LTIR doesn't matter, it's more of a kick the can down the road problem.

Weber to EDM
Ceci (Utah retains 1.625M) to OTT
EDM 3rd+OTT 4th to UTA

I suspect one issue is that they have to dump BOTH Kulak and Ceci to make it work. Kulak will be harder to dump than Ceci because he has term.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
If we can get a third party to retain, Ceci would be a better fit because of our current cap situation. It's less likely that we could find a team to retain on Kulak, because he has term beyond this season. Ceci would be a veteran for our bottom pair.

Hypothetically, I think if Edmonton could find a third party to retain, they could dump Ceci for less. Compensating a team for taking 1.625M of dead cap and burning one retention spot might be cheaper than compensating a team for taking Ceci at 3.25M when so few teams have free cap space who aren't a budget team.

If Utah is involved, and if they value getting Weber's LTIRetired contact off the books, Edmonton could also consider taking that contract to lower the cost of Utah being a third party for them. Utah doesn't need to dump that contract, and his 1M owed is apparently partly covered by insurance - but if they expect to spend closer to the cap next season they might value getting it off the books as to not have to worry about the added complication of going into LTI. Edmonton is already going into LTI this season with Kane. If he is going to be out for the entire season, adding another player on LTIR doesn't matter, it's more of a kick the can down the road problem.

Weber to EDM
EDM 3rd+OTT 4th to UTA

I suspect one issue is that they have to dump BOTH Kulak and Ceci to make it work. Kulak will be harder to dump than Ceci because he has term.

Kulak is also a pretty good bottom pairing Dman though. I don't think they would have any issues trading him.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Why does everybody keep talking about Ceci?
I'd rather they sign Schultz to a league minimum deal. He's got decent skill, can he play LD? Any teams against the cap with extra d men that are actually good? Vegas had like 9 guys at one point. What's L.A's situation?

Kulak is also a pretty good bottom pairing Dman though. I don't think they would have any issues trading him.
He makes almost 3 million. That's alot for a bottom pair LD. That being said he's alot better than Ceci. There should be a taker but they may not get anything back.

Weber to EDM
EDM 3rd+OTT 4th to UTA

Why on earth would you want to pay Ceci 1.4 million and give up a 4th when you can have Schultz for free and for a million. You always have these wildly complicated trades where Ottawa takes a shitty player. Utah is in win now mode they have a million prospects and picks.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
In no world is that the play. Broberg is just scratching the surface. Legit 6'4 two way all situations d man that can fly and play both sides. Ceci is an average 3rd pair d at best making #4 money.

Did you not watch any of the playoffs? The skill set is obvious. Talent was obvious he was fantastic in the best hockey there is, he has it all and he has pedigree. Big d men take longer to develop and he found it. He won't be overpaid, there's a reason St Louis did what they did. Florida players even confirmed it.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
It is going to end up being something like Ceci+Kulak+2026 1st to Chicago or Utah, with some sort of bargain basement roster player going back to Edmonton, who makes 1M or less but can fill a spot in their lineup to offset Broberg and Holloway coming in at a higher cap hit than expected.

Then the team who gets them will flip one or both with retention.

An interesting thing about getting Edmonton's 2026 1st, is that a team could end up with the Tim Stutzle special. As in, if they aren't willing to settle for a 2027 1st, which most teams won't, they negotiate to get a double-unprotected 1st round pick.

Philadelphia owns Edmonton's pick, unless it's top 12 protected. If Edmonton keeps the 2025 pick, Philadelphia gets the 2026 pick. So if a team who will take Ceci+Kulak refuses to let them protect the pick until 2027, they could essentially have two shots for Edmonton to fail. The same thing happened with us and San Jose's 1st in the Karlsson trade (Buffalo owned it, the protection transferred to us).

I could also see something out of left-field, with Edmonton trading someone they signed this summer, and the justification being that they didn't sign the Broberg contract so moving Adam Henrique or Viktor Arvidsson was out of their hands. They didn't sign him just to flip him, but they were left with no choice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad