Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
If there's a team that Hamonic might agree to go to its EDM given its in Canada and he doesn't have to uproot his family completely. I just hope we're getting paid by EDM if they're sending Ceci back
Sure that would be nice, but that seems very unlikely (dream). Ceci is not a great defender, but he’s become a whipping post for some. He’s managed to play as a NHL regular for 11 years for four different organizations/GMs/coaches. I guess he’s managed to fool a lot of actual NHL people over the years. I think there can be too much of a preoccupation with lopsided trades where one GM gets hosed, at least with some people.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Sure that would be nice, but that seems very unlikely (dream). Ceci is not a great defender, but he’s become a whipping post for some. He’s managed to play as a NHL regular for 11 years for four different organizations/GMs/coaches. I guess he’s managed to fool a lot of actual NHL people over the years. I think there can be too much of a preoccupation with lopsided trades where one GM gets hosed, at least with some people.
I want us to get paid to take Ceci, not because Ceci is shite (he'd be a great 3RD for us) but because EDM is tight in capspace, have this season to contend while McDrai are on affordable deals, and us taking on Ceci helps them capwise.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I want us to get paid to take Ceci, not because Ceci is shite (he'd be a great 3RD for us) but because EDM is tight in capspace, have this season to contend while McDrai are on affordable deals, and us taking on Ceci helps them capwise.
That'll be their big move this year imo. They'll upgrade on Ceci mid season and deal with it then. Someone will take on the expiring contract without much issue by that point in the season and with his deal expiring. Until then he's probably still their best option in that role unless Broberg keeps playing the offside and shows more growth.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Sure, but that doesn’t mean that Edmonton has to deal with us, or that they would be interested in Hamonic. Ceci only has this year remaining on his current contract. There’s probably a lot more trades in which both sides get something of value versus trades that are heavily lopsided which some seem to preoccupied with.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
It would not surprise me if Ceci has negative or at best neutral value at his full cap hit. Maybe that would be different 2 months ago when there was more cap flexibility throughout the league.

If Edmonton retains and/or takes back a player, he should have value.

If Edmonton were to do a Ceci (retained) for Harmonic swap, it's a cap move, not a move because they like Harmonic.

With that said, Kane is now going on LTIR, so all you weirdos pining for us to bring Ceci back will have to move on!

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I hated Ceci so much when he was here I can remember clearly just how bad he was. The guy was not able to make an outlet pass and was basically just rimming it off the boards to the opposing team. Just couldn't get out of the zone when he was on the ice. He's still making boneheaded mistakes on the regular and I don't see him being the calming presence that a guy like Kleven would need.

I would not want this guy on the team at all. I'd much rather go for a steady eddy average defensemen on the 3rd pair. Ceci is the type of player that regularly costs you a goal by himself and we don't need that.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
It would not surprise me if Ceci has negative or at best neutral value at his full cap hit. Maybe that would be different 2 months ago when there was more cap flexibility throughout the league.

If Edmonton retains and/or takes back a player, he should have value.

If Edmonton were to do a Ceci (retained) for Harmonic swap, it's a cap move, not a move because they like Harmonic.

With that said, Kane is now going on LTIR, so all you weirdos pining for us to bring Ceci back will have to move on!
Sure, the Oilers are unlikely to want Hamonic. That was the point in the first place I think, no? It's not like Edmonton is forced to deal with just one team who has only one option to offer. And, all that’s left on the Ceci contract is this year, so its not like the term in onerous.

To be clear though, I’m not pushing for Ceci, or even a swap of Hamonic for Ceci. It's just that there has to be interest from both parties in a trade and that typically there are options.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Sure, the Oilers are unlikely to want Hamonic. That was the point in the first place I think, no? It's not like Edmonton is forced to deal with just one team who has only one option to offer. And, all that’s left on the Ceci contract is this year, so its not like the term in onerous.

To be clear though, I’m not pushing for Ceci, or even a swap of Hamonic for Ceci. It's just that there has to be interest from both parties in a trade and that typically there are options.

Both JBD or Hamonic for Ceci with or without retention have been proposed throughout the last two pages of this thread.

Edmonton was perceived to be in a cap crunch. They have a few unsigned RFAs (Broberg, etc). The logic behind a Ceci for Hamonic swap isn't, Edmonton wants Hamonic, it is that Edmonton needs cap space, Hamonic has a lower cap hit, and Ceci may not be moveable as/is to clear cap.

It has now been made clear that Kane is likely to start the season on LTIR. So Edmonton does not need cap space right away.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Both JBD or Hamonic for Ceci with or without retention have been proposed throughout the last two pages of this thread.

Edmonton was perceived to be in a cap crunch. They have a few unsigned RFAs (Broberg, etc). The logic behind a Ceci for Hamonic swap isn't, Edmonton wants Hamonic, it is that Edmonton needs cap space, Hamonic has a lower cap hit, and Ceci may not be moveable as/is to clear cap.

It has now been made clear that Kane is likely to start the season on LTIR. So Edmonton does not need cap space right away.
Yes, I understood that point the first time you made it. But all roads and options that Edmonton has doesn’t lead them to Ottawa & Hamonic. This was already explained in the post you replied to.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
Honestly, if I'm Edmonton I would probably trade Kane instead of Ceci to gain cap space(assuming the former is healthy).

Ceci ain't perfect, but if you trade him your defense becomes super thin, unless you expect Broberg to take a big step this year(which tbf maybe Edmonton is expecting that).

Reactions: Icelevel

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Honestly, if I'm Edmonton I would probably trade Kane instead of Ceci to gain cap space(assuming the former is healthy).

Ceci ain't perfect, but if you trade him your defense becomes super thin, unless you expect Broberg to take a big step this year(which tbf maybe Edmonton is expecting that).

Kane has a NMC. Next year, it turns into a modified no trade clause. So it is unlikely that they can trade him before next offseason.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Ceci sucks, he has matured and gotten more experience since leaving Ottawa but hockey sense is still poor, decision making hasn’t gotten quicker/better. JBD-Kleven-Hamonic are not good as pairs, Kleven has potential but is a rookie.

Please, no Ceci. This team needs a smart and physical bottom pairing veteran RD to really shore up the line up, something Staios will have to address at some point in the upcoming season.

In the meantime, training camp will tell us how much JBD has improved and how a healthy Hamonic looks for the 6/7 D position.

If Hamonic is LTIRed, then a Guennette or a
waiver pick up may come into play. Otherwise, the line up looks pretty locked at the backend and the crease. The cap space will come more handy closer to the trade deadline.

A couple of spots are open at forward which will make for a very intriguing training camp.

Reactions: DrEasy

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Ceci sucks, he has matured and gotten more experience since leaving Ottawa but hockey sense is still poor, decision making hasn’t gotten quicker/better. JBD-Kleven-Hamonic are not good as pairs, Kleven has potential but is a rookie.

Please, no Ceci. This team needs a smart and physical bottom pairing veteran RD to really shore up the line up, something Staios will have to address at some point in the upcoming season.

In the meantime, training camp will tell us how much JBD has improved and how a healthy Hamonic looks for the 6/7 D position.

If Hamonic is LTIRed, then a Guennette or a
waiver pick up may come into play. Otherwise, the line up looks pretty locked at the backend and the crease. The cap space will come more handy closer to the trade deadline.

A couple of spots are open at forward which will make for a very intriguing training camp.

I don't think Ottawa could take Ceci now, unless it is a 3-way trade with the third team holding back cap. If Edmonton moves Ceci to keep Broberg, they cannot retain or take back a contract (unless it is an LTIR contract).

If a 3rd party retains half of Ceci, that's 1.625 in dead cap along with the value of burning a retention spot, which is usually a 4th round pick at the deadline. I could see that costing a 2nd round pick just because of Edmonton dealing from a position of weakness. So Edmonton could possibly find a team willing to take half of Ceci's cap hit for a 2nd, and then Edmonton could shop Ceci at 1.625M to see what they could recoup in terms of picks, if any.

If Edmonton doesn't match Broberg, they aren't moving Ceci because they need him.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
They can't keep Broberg, way too much for them.

Especially with them being 2 years and both Bouchard and Drai needing new contracts, then McDavid a year after.

The Oilers cap is completely screwed, and their team is going to be in big trouble adding a Bouchard like contract for what he is

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
They can't keep Broberg, way too much for them.

Especially with them being 2 years and both Bouchard and Drai needing new contracts, then McDavid a year after.

The Oilers cap is completely screwed, and their team is going to be in big trouble adding a Bouchard like contract for what he is
Can they trade Broberg? Say they can get a higher second from SJ, trade him there and SJ signs the offer....? It would still suck, you'd get a better draft pick and a fu to St. Louis though.

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
The Blues writer on the Athletic, Rutherford, called it a "deal". Lol. What a dbag.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Can they trade Broberg? Say they can get a higher second from SJ, trade him there and SJ signs the offer....? It would still suck, you'd get a better draft pick and a fu to St. Louis though.
Nope, can either match it or accept the 2nd, and matching is nearly impossible for them.

If they weanted to trade Broberg they could have easily gotten a 1st+ at the draft, they were just caught with their pants down.

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
Nope, can either match it or accept the 2nd, and matching is nearly impossible for them.

If they weanted to trade Broberg they could have easily gotten a 1st+ at the draft, they were just caught with their pants down.
Once the players sign the offer sheet, is it set im stone? Could Edm trade them to St. Louis for more and then St. Louis could sign them for less money?

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison

If I recall, they can't trade him for 365 days from when he signs the offer sheet.

That is why overpaying in cap is so effective here. Unless Edmonton thinks Broberg is on the cusp of breaking out as a top pairing defenseman, they would be idiotic to match this.

The bigger discussion is probably around what to do with Holloway, who is less of an overpayment, but still might be difficult for them to fit in if Kane will be back during the regular season.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Once the players sign the offer sheet, is it set im stone? Could Edm trade them to St. Louis for more and then St. Louis could sign them for less money?
The contract has been signed already, he’s essentially St. Louis property unless Edmonton match the contract he has signed with the Blues.

Reactions: Loach

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad