Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I'd be all for helping them out with Kulak if there's a deal to be made, but it seems like too much to fit at this point. He can play the offside well and would be a veteran to pair with Kleven over JBD. Doubtful this is realistic at all or fits in the cap (I'm too lazy to fact check that), but I'd be happy with something like Kulak + pick for Hamonic if he'd waive.

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021
I'd be all for helping them out with Kulak if there's a deal to be made, but it seems like too much to fit at this point. He can play the offside well and would be a veteran to pair with Kleven over JBD. Doubtful this is realistic at all or fits in the cap (I'm too lazy to fact check that), but I'd be happy with something like Kulak + pick for Hamonic if he'd waive.
We have $1.9 m of projected space and Kulak has a $2.75 m cap hit, so yes, something else would need to happen to accommodate him.

Reactions: BonHoonLayneCornell

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Buffalo didn’t own the SJ pick.

Buffalo owned the 2019 pick at the time of the Karlsson trade.

Ottawa traded for the 2020 pick unprotected, but the conditional protection from the 2019 pick also transfered to Ottawa. Meaning, if San Jose missed the playoffs in 2019, we had the option to take the 2019 pick and send Buffalo (or eventually Anaheim) the 2020 pick.

Whether intentional or not by Dorion, it was one element of targeting San Jose that you could at least say was a bonus. We got two shots at lucking into a top 3 pick with how volatile the lottery was at that point in history.

Doug Wilson's kid whose name escapes me was on their management team (he was a grown man, they didn't have a 12 year old helping with their hockey ops) and has gone on record that they obviously tried to get protection from the Sens but realistically San Jose didn't have the leverage to potentially make them wait until 2021 to get a 1st.

All I'm pointing out her is that while it's incredibly unlikely that Edmonton will finish bottom 12 this season, or miss the playoffs next season, of a team can get that 2027 pick unprotected, they get two shots at Edmonton handing them a high pick. It would be a similar situation to Ottawa and San Jose.

Last edited:

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Our pick transferred to unprotected 2020 because Kane re-signed and the 2019 pick went to Buffalo didn’t it?

Honestly can’t even remember how everything went down.
I thought the condition was if SJ made the playoffs in 2019 the pick became 2020.

@frightenedinmatenum2

Edit: found this
Ottawa receives San Jose's first-round choice in either 2019 or 2020 (not lottery protected). If the Sharks miss the playoffs in 2018-19, it will be a 2019 selection, otherwise it will be in 2020. Ottawa gets a second-round choice in the 2019 draft from San Jose (which will be the higher of the two picks the Sharks currently own — the Florida Panthers' and their own).

Screen shot from capfriendly on trade

Last edited:

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
I thought the condition was if SJ made the playoffs in 2019 the pick became 2020.

@frightenedinmatenum2

Edit: found this
Ottawa receives San Jose's first-round choice in either 2019 or 2020 (not lottery protected). If the Sharks miss the playoffs in 2018-19, it will be a 2019 selection, otherwise it will be in 2020. Ottawa gets a second-round choice in the 2019 draft from San Jose (which will be the higher of the two picks the Sharks currently own — the Florida Panthers' and their own).

Screen shot from capfriendly on trade

Buffalo owned the 2019 pick but it was protected. That condition with the Karlsson trade was the inverse of the protection San Jose had on the pick.

Ottawa basically got two shots at San Jose underperforming and giving them a higher than expected pick.

This all stems from Ottawa not being willing to accept a scenario where the main pick in the trade could be pushed to 2021.

Reactions: bicboi64

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Buffalo owned the 2019 pick but it was protected. That condition with the Karlsson trade was the inverse of the protection San Jose had on the pick.

Ottawa basically got two shots at San Jose underperforming and giving them a higher than expected pick.

This all stems from Ottawa not being willing to accept a scenario where the main pick in the trade could be pushed to 2021.
Not seeing Buffalo mentioned in any of the links I posted, not saying didn’t happen. Do you have any links for this. Maybe not explaining it well. How did Buffalo get SJ pick?

the conditions seemed to be about SJ making playoffs , where does Buffalo fit into the playoff part.

SJ misses playoffs pick is 2019 if not 2020.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Not seeing Buffalo mentioned in any of the links I posted, not saying didn’t happen. Do you have any links for this. Maybe not explaining it well. How did Buffalo get SJ pick?

the conditions seemed to be about SJ making playoffs , where does Buffalo fit into the playoff part.

SJ misses playoffs pick is 2019 if not 2020.

All the info about each transaction is cited on the entry draft page on Wikipedia, or google Evander Kane to San Jose trade.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
All the info about each transaction is cited on the entry draft page on Wikipedia, or google Evander Kane to San Jose trade.
What year wiki, just give some links, to the history

How would get Ottawa get San Jose pick in 2019, if it was Buffalo’s then.
What if san Jose missed playoff's in 2019
When Ottawas condition was playoff related.
I don’t see Buffalo making a pick with the San Jose pick in 2019

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
What year wiki, just give some links, to the history

How would get Ottawa get San Jose pick in 2019, if it was Buffalo’s then.
What if san Jose missed playoff's in 2019
When Ottawas condition was playoff related.
I don’t see Buffalo making a pick with the San Jose pick in 2019

My suggestion would be to go to the Orleans Buffalo Wild Wings and wait around until Pierre comes in. He would probably be happy to explain the genius of the trade to you, so long as you cover his wings. (You may have to spring for a drink, not sure if they charge for refills).

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Our pick transferred to unprotected 2020 because Kane re-signed and the 2019 pick went to Buffalo didn’t it?

Honestly can’t even remember how everything went down.

The Draft Picks​

It has been long-known that the Senators wanted a first-round pick in 2019 to replace the one sent to Colorado in the Matt Duchene trade. They didn’t quite get that in this trade though, as San Jose doesn’t really have a pick in the first round for 2019 after bringing the other EK – Evander Kane – to California.

The picks they did get will be interesting though. The second-round pick in 2020 is the only one set so far, but since the Sharks have two picks (theirs and the Florida Panthers selection), the higher pick goes to Ottawa. The 2019 or 2020 first-round pick is dependent on how the Sharks do this year. Their 2019 first-round pick was already conditionally traded to the Buffalo Sabres in the Evander Kane trade. If San Jose doesn’t make the playoffs this year, the 2019 pick goes to Ottawa. If they do, it goes to the Sabres and the Senators gets a 2020 first-round pick.

The 2021 conditional second-round pick becomes a reality if Karlsson re-signs in San Jose, and that pick becomes a 2021 first-rounder if the Sharks make the Stanley Cup Final in 2019. The final conditional first-round pick will become a reality no later than 2022 if Karlsson is on a reserve list of an Eastern Conference team during 2018-19. Basically, if Karlsson is traded back to the East this season, the Sens get another first-round pick.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
My suggestion would be to go to the Orleans Buffalo Wild Wings and wait around until Pierre comes in. He would probably be happy to explain the genius of the trade to you, so long as you cover his wings. (You may have to spring for a drink, not sure if they charge for refills).

Who did Buffalo draft with the first round pick from SJ in 2019 if it was theirs.?
Or Did Buffalo trade the SJ pick?

Last edited:

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Buffalo traded it to Anaheim for Brandon Montour. The Ducks drafted Brayden Tracey with it.
Thanks, that was so easy appreciate it.
as other poster wouldn’t say what happened to it, despite some questions, just go see wiki page for explanation or ask Dorian,

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
as other poster wouldn’t say what happened to it, despite some questions, just go see wiki page for explanation or ask Dorian,

That other poster is a jerk, there isn't even a Buffalo Wild Wings in Orleans. He sent you on a wild goose hunt.

It's probably the same guy who keeps making Ceci trade proposals during an otherwise nice quiet offseason.

• Haha
Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Duncstar

Sep 1, 2017
Ottawa
That other poster is a jerk, there isn't even a Buffalo Wild Wings in Orleans. He sent you on a wild goose hunt.

It's probably the same guy who keeps making Ceci trade proposals during an otherwise nice quiet offseason.
But we could be doing offersheets!

*checks notes* nahhh. Hamonic is going to come back 10 years younger after his surgery.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
But we could be doing offersheets!

*checks notes* nahhh. Hamonic is going to come back 10 years younger after his surgery.

I googled it, and there is actually a place in Orleans called Wild Wings.

I tried to figure out if it is the same franchise as Buffalo Wild Wings, just rebranded for wider consumption, but I couldn't find an answer.

So everything came full circle, and now I relate to the poster who couldn't find the information about Buffalo acquiring San Jose's pick. It was humbling, and I have grown as a person and as a hockey message board poster because of it. I can't see myself making a Ceci trade proposal for like a week now.

I thought you were messing with me. My apologies.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Dorion still screwing us even after he's fired, no Hamonic would make it a lot easier to trade for Kulak.
Dorion is a complete idiot for giving Hamonic that contract

That being said we had an opportunity to buyout that contract and gain the cap space. The contract is on dorion the no buyout/replacing him is on staios

Reactions: Wallet Inspector

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Dorion is a complete idiot for giving Hamonic that contract

That being said we had an opportunity to buyout that contract and gain the cap space. The contract is on dorion the no buyout/replacing him is on staios

I think with Korpisalo, Hamonic, and the original long term Tarasenko offer, he knew he wasn't going to be around to deal with the fallout of those contracts did not work out.

I'm sure he was as surprised as everybody else when Andlauer kept him around, then he started panicking when he realized he might have to deal with Korpisalo being signed another 4 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad