Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
No fcning way bud those two are legit worse. Like 2x as bad. Or 1.5. They're all shiite tho so no to the lot! Get that spaceX 🚀 ready for sun.
Considering neither of the 2 mentioned is in the NHL, while the other guy was just holding his own (well enough anyways) in the finals, I think that's obvious hyperbole. Ceci is a 3rd pairing NHL miscast as a 2nd pairing guy. Cowen and Zaitsev are not capable of that.

Reactions: Bjornar Moxnes

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
i rather bring back zaitsev or cowen

Cowen is retired due to injury. I don't think it would be advisable to bring him back. I could maybe see a Ring of Honor induction based on him spending the entirety of his playing career with the Senators and then trying to screw the Leafs on his way out.

Had he won his grievance over the buyout and cost them some cap space, I could at least see us doing a promotion where the first 3000 fans get a commemorative Jared Cowen x Star Wars beer koozie.

Duncstar

Sep 1, 2017
Ottawa
Talking about bringing Ceci home, are we bored out of our minds or what! We got nothing to talk about. We'll try to snag a waiver wire pickup early season to shore up the 3rd pair. About the only thing left is line combos and pp1/pp2 and even that's been done. I need to go read a book...

Reactions: bert and Ice-Tray

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
Tbh I wouldn't mind something around Hamonic for Ceci. Edmonton might do it since they can put Hamonic in the AHL and save some cap space.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
If Harmonic would waive, would you guys do Ceci for Harmonic?
Edmonton is not doing this, Ceci is too important to the PK and their only defensive awareness on the right hand side. He just played the 3rd most minutes on the D side in games 5/6/7 of the Stanley cup final. He is far far better than Hamonic in pretty much every category. Not that they wouldn't replace him, but they need to shed salary while keeping some equivalence. Hamonic is not it.

Reactions: Sensators

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
Tbh I wouldn't mind something around Hamonic for Ceci. Edmonton might do it since they can put Hamonic in the AHL and save some cap space.
Isn't it possible that Hamonic was nursing an injury all of last year and comes back this year in the same form as the 22-23 season? If Hamonic is good to go, then ironically we'd need to acquire either a LD or one that can play either side if we don't want to use a call-up from Belleville.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
If a team trades for Hamonic, it's going to be a cap trade. He will not waive to go to the AHL.

The logic of any Hamonic trade would be, yes, he has to stay in the NHL, but the team that acquires him clears cap space by moving a player out for him.

I still suspect that he will end up permanently on LTIR. That Staios is saying the right things publicly, both because it's not productive to say "we all think Hamonic stinks!", and because Staios waxing poetic about Hamonic being a good veteran presence who they are happy to have gives them some plausible deniability when his knee or whatever it was is a bit too banged up to play and he ends up LTIRetired.

People will say, "why would Hamonic agree to that!". Realistically, there is no reasonable way that playing this season is going to prolong his career. Playing in the NHL is both mentally and physically a grind. Also, our room is filled with young hooligans who are obsessed with shoes and hanging out at the market, that probably is annoying considering he is 34. I think it's one of those things where if the guy is hurting from a long career, and knows he isn't going to factor in much, psychologically it's really easy to justify taking the money and retiring a year early if the opportunity exists for him "not to get cleared" at training camp.

Obviously, all just speculation. He could be the most hyper-competitive guy in the world who would never think of staying home when he could earn his rightful place in our top 4...but all I am saying is the idea that he and the team would both be complicit in allowing him to go on LTIR if he is banged up enough to justify it isn't that crazy.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Why tf did Dorion give a NMC to a bottom-pair defenseman?
dumoulin_nick - 1764760420890382521.gif

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Why tf did Dorion give a NMC to a bottom-pair defenseman?

Dorion had to know last offseason that he was most likely gone when the new regime settled in.

Not getting the team before last offseason did major damage. They had a GM in charge who didn't seem to entirely be making moves for the long-term benefit of the team, but rather to save or audition for a new job.

Giving Hamonic the security of 2 years with a NMC in order to persuade him to stay, and giving Korpisalo 5 years were both moves that fit that. If Korpisalo was bad, Dorion was never going to be here to deal with him. He also apparently offered Tarasenko 5 years at over 5M per. If that is true, that is another move that fits into that, because as good as Tarasenko was last year, that is way above any reasonable market value (more so with term than AAV).

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
If there's a team that Hamonic might agree to go to its EDM given its in Canada and he doesn't have to uproot his family completely. I just hope we're getting paid by EDM if they're sending Ceci back

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad