Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
MTL is still behind us, but that's because our rebuild has taken so damn long. Hughes has been better than Dorion, but thankfully we've been lucky with superstar picks in Sandy and Stu. Plus Brady being a unicorn that only Wifi on the Habs can deal with.

Habs are in a good position, but I hope we sweep our season series with them and Brady sends Caufield flying into the boards the first time we play MTL.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
So which d men are we bringing it last minute? I would bring in a lefty and a righty.
Pickings are kind of thin on D.

My list right now for PTO D

Travis Dermott L LD/RD
Mark Giordano LD
Justin Schultz RD
Mark Pysyk RD
Robert Bortuzzo RD

I think LD is where they really should add a depth piece given what they have in the pipeline. Losing Larsson and Heatherington hit them there. Dermott could make a good 8th D because he has played both L and R and he could live with the situation. Giordano is older but was effective enough for that role. RD Sens have callup depth in Guenette and Matinpalo . A top 4 injury away from JBD and Hamonic both in on the Right side. I like Kleven but we are relying heavily on Chabot staying healthy.

Last edited:

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton

Travis Dermott L LD/RD
Mark Giordano LD
Justin Schultz RD
Mark Pysyk RD
Robert Bortuzzo RD

I think LD is where they really should add a depth piece given what they have in the pipeline. Losing Larsson and Heatherington hit them there. Dermott could make a good 8th D because he has played both L and R and he could live with the situation. Giordano is older but was effective enough for that role. RD Sens have callup depth in Guenette and Matinpalo . A top 4 injury away from JBD and Hamonic both in on the Right side. I like Kleven but we are relying heavily on Chabot staying healthy.
Didn't even realize Dermott was still available.

I'd be fine with him. He'd be fine for the 3rd pairing as a stop gap

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Travis Dermott L LD/RD
Mark Giordano LD
Justin Schultz RD
Mark Pysyk RD
Robert Bortuzzo RD

Wrt RHD, If you are including Schultz, why not consider guys like Klingberg, Shattenkirk or Barrie?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Wrt RHD, If you are including Schultz, why not consider guys like Klingberg, Shattenkirk or Barrie?
Schultz is more mobile bigger and has been better than all three of them. Klingberg and Barrie are just big no's for me way too easy to play against. Klingberg was comically bad last year. Shattenkirk is a possibility but I think Schultz is definitely the best of the group.

Shattenkirk has been working with Adam Oates alot, he is in amazing shape apparently I would certainly be open to them bringing him in he's pretty heavy and can make a quick out pass.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Schultz is more mobile bigger and has been better than all three of them. Klingberg and Barrie are just big no's for me way too easy to play against. Klingberg was comically bad last year. Shattenkirk is a possibility but I think Schultz is definitely the best of the group.
Hmm, I haven't been impressed with Schultz watching him, maybe I'm just lower on him than you. To be honest I wouldn't target any of them, but I guess as a PTO...

Any of them are probably better than Hamonic was last year though...

Reactions: bert

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Hmm, I haven't been impressed with Schultz watching him, maybe I'm just lower on him than you. To be honest I wouldn't target any of them, but I guess as a PTO...

Any of them are probably better than Hamonic was last year though...
Yeah I mean non are anything special hence the PTO. I actually think im leaning more towards Shattenkirk I think he can play both sides. He's the heaviest of the bunch, has a cup. Apparently he is motivated to get to 1000 games.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Leafs still for me but Habs are a close second. I actually find the online community of Montreal fans to be far more unhinged than leafs fans.
Fair. I guess the sting of the Leafs has dissipated for me without the intense rivalry we had back in the day. Feels like forever since we had a game that mattered against them. Habs feels fresher with the couple semi recent playoff rounds.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Yeah I mean non are anything special hence the PTO. I actually think im leaning more towards Shattenkirk I think he can play both sides. He's the heaviest of the bunch, has a cup. Apparently he is motivated to get to 1000 games.
Klingberg might be better after surgery but he was never the type of guy we really need, I think his potential to bounce back is highest though, I just think we shouldn't be targeting that type of Dman.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Klingberg might be better after surgery but he was never the type of guy we really need, I think his potential to bounce back is highest though, I just think we shouldn't be targeting that type of Dman.
End of the day it’s the 6th d man. I *think* klingberg can fill that roll. Shartenkirk probably my first choice tho. We need some more puck movement on that pair.

I never hated dermott. And in a bit role when he just has to not screw up. Should be fine.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
End of the day it’s the 6th d man. I *think* klingberg can fill that roll. Shartenkirk probably my first choice tho. We need some more puck movement on that pair.

I never hated dermott. And in a bit role when he just has to not screw up. Should be fine.
To me the third pair is bend don't break, so I don't really care if they can move the puck so long as they can keep it out of our net. I guess I worry about a guy that's -60 over his last 155 games,

Would I like someone who can advance the puck more efficiently than JBD and Kleven, sure, but that's a secondary concern for the third pair, they are there to slow everything down to a crawl until the top 4 are ready to get back on the ice

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I would want someone that can defend in that 3rd pairing role. These guys are all more offense than defense and would be lower on my list. Shattenkirk is a possibility but I would prefer the ones I listed I am not fond of his defensive game. Both Dermott and Gio can play the right side and offer depth on the left as well.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I would want someone that can defend in that 3rd pairing role. These guys are all more offense than defense and would be lower on my list. Shattenkirk is a possibility but I would prefer the ones I listed I am not fond of his defensive game. Both Dermott and Gio can play the right side and offer depth on the left as well.
Maybe I just don't have a good read on Schultz, because I never found he defended well. I haven't paiduch attention to him in Seattle but he was bad in Washington and Pittsburgh from what I remember.

Edit: as an aside, I totally agree about preferring someone who can defend.

Last edited:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Maybe I just don't have a good read on Schultz, because I never found he defended well. I haven't paiduch attention to him in Seattle but he was bad in Washington and Pittsburgh from what I remember.
I agree he is more offense than defense as well so not ideal. I'd rather take him off my list than add the others you mentioned.. but of those 4 I'd take Schultz and this is for a PTO. My preference would go towards stronger defensive abilities.

Reactions: bert and Micklebot

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Agreed they do not need a one dimensional offensive D man in the slightest. They need to get harder to play against in general. Even when he was very good he was still below average defensively, he's never getting back to that level obviously which means the D will never really be there.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
They should bring one or two players to camp on D, even if they aren't ideal fits. There needs to be competition for those spots.

As of now, Kleven, JBD, and Guennette are fighting for two roster spots since Hamonic is guaranteed one due to his NMC. If it turns out Hamonic isn't ready for the start of training camp, each of those three are nearly guaranteed an NHL spot.

I suppose that you can argue a few players like Matinpalo, or Davies might be fighting for those spots, but I don't think they realistically are in the conversation unless there are injuries. They seem to be AHL hires.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
They should bring one or two players to camp on D, even if they aren't ideal fits. There needs to be competition for those spots.

As of now, Kleven, JBD, and Guennette are fighting for two roster spots since Hamonic is guaranteed one due to his NMC. If it turns out Hamonic isn't ready for the start of training camp, each of those three are nearly guaranteed an NHL spot.

I suppose that you can argue a few players like Matinpalo, or Davies might be fighting for those spots, but I don't think they realistically are in the conversation unless there are injuries. They seem to be AHL hires.
I think Mantipalo is a potential NHL player, last year was his first in NA and he adapted pretty well, he led Belleville in +/- for whatever that's worth, and at least imo was way better than Larsson or Thompson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad