Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
At this time of year, it's tough. You have to make a decision on who is and isn't part of the projected roster.

Capwages for example, decided to fill out a 23 man roster with Roos, Gaudette and Hodgeson on the roster. Basically filling out the roster with the cheapest options

Puckpedia includes Crookshank and Kleven but only has a 21 man roster, perhaps making a judgement call on what the roster will likely look like.

Cap Spaces inexplicably has a 27 man roster with everyone under the sun...
Too many cooks

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
I wonder if we trade Sogaard now that he is cost controlled? Something like Sogaard to the Kings for Kaliyev.

Kuemper will be almost 38 at the end of his contract. They don't have a goalie of the future that fits with that timeline. Sogaard's contract makes him a good fit there because it gives them 2 years to figure out if he can transition to the NHL and play for them. He is also cost controlled at league minimum.

They have multiple fringe backup goalies this year, so he would have to win the job or start in the AHL, and then become their backup or 1B goalie next year.

I doubt Sogaard has a lot of trade value. We have been tied to Kalieyev, who also likely doesn't have a lot of value. It seems like a fair change of scenery swap. If we intend to sign Ullmark, Sogaard is completely blocked here anyways (if he even puts it together).

I see this contract as a sign that they don't want to lose him on waivers. That second year is a deterrent.

If they were going to do a Sogaard for Kaliyev trade (why they would do that I have no clue), they would just let the Kings trade for him and sign him. It's not like he needed to be signed for them to make that trade.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
I don’t see how Sogaard is blocked by Ullmark. Being a back-up for your first 2-3 seasons in the NHL is reasonable and probably preferable. It allows him to develop without the pressure of being the #1. By the time he’s theoretically ready to take the reins, Ullmark would be 34-35 years old. Then he backs up Sogaard for the last ~2 years of his deal, or you move him if Sogaard is really THAT good by then.

If LA wants to give us Kaliyev for a mid pick, then sure. We don’t need him, I’d certainly rather keep Sogaard as if he does pan out it gives us a goalie post-Ullmark.

I have my doubts on Sogaard but Kaliyev is not the player I’m moving him for. It’s sort of a waste.

If Ullmark extends, he will get at minimum 5 years, and likely a NMC.

Sogaard only has a few more years of team control. If he steals the starting job here, or at least competes for it and is blocked by Ullmark, he will be priced out here cap wise and may not even want to sign here long term.

If he doesn't get to the point where he is competing for the starting job, both sides likely move on mutually, the Senators because they aren't wasting the one spot to develop a goalie behind Ullmark on someone with no future here, and Sogaard because he will be approaching free agency and a change of scenery would make more sense than a team he hasn't made it on.

It's more of a prediction than a suggestion. I understand why people would value Sogaard more than Kaliyev.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010

Sogaard only has a few more years of team control. If he steals the starting job here, or at least competes for it and is blocked by Ullmark, he will be priced out here cap wise and may not even want to sign here long term.

If he doesn't get to the point where he is competing for the starting job, both sides likely move on mutually, the Senators because they aren't wasting the one spot to develop a goalie behind Ullmark on someone with no future here, and Sogaard because he will be approaching free agency and a change of scenery would make more sense than a team he hasn't made it on.

It's more of a prediction than a suggestion. I understand why people would value Sogaard more than Kaliyev.
All the Sens would have to do is sign Sogaard to a 3 year deal after this one expires and it would cover us up until the last year of Ullmark’s five year contract. I think it’s pretty unlikely he a) steals the job before the end of this contract or b) turns down a 3 year deal considering the financial security it will offer him.

If Sogaard is highly valued by the org, this is likely the path they take. If not there’s still not a ton of risk in utilizing him until a guy like Merilainen is ready.

We also should consider expansion in the equation here. As we’re not able to protect more than one goalie we are probably going to lose someone along the way should it occur and I wouldn’t be eager to move anyone as we could find ourselves thin there quickly.

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site

I don't follow this logic at all.

Because he could, in a best case scenario, develop into a starter-level goalie at the NHL level and become blocked a few years from now... they might be open to trading him right now?

Going into this year he's the number 3 goalie in the organization. If things go well this year, he has a chance to be the number 2 goalie in the organization going into 2025-26, which would be great for him and great for the team because he'd be a young, cheap backup for Ullmark (assuming Ullmark stays). If he continues to prove himself in the years after, then that's just a great problem for an organization to have.

All this contract says to me is that they're not ready to give up on the player, and don't want him to be claimed on waivers this year.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007

So Sogaard becomes the backup to Ullmark and gets tougher duty if Ullmark gets hurt. I love the thought of developing a kid slowly and having him backup, then having him either take the starting job or not.

Reactions: Bileur

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Sogaard has 4 more seasons under team control, I believe. If he gets to the point that he is challenging for the starter role, but blocked by Ullmark, it seems to me we'd be better off trading him at that point rather than doing a change of scenery trade now.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Forsberg has one more yr left, unless he has an incredible yr, it's most likely he walks after next season & Sogaard at that point should be in a position to replace him at a much cheaper salary opeing up some space to pay Ullmark.

Last edited:

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Forsberg has one more yr left, unless he has an uncredible yr, it's most likely he walks after next season & Sogaard at that point should be in a position to replace him at a much cheaper salary opeing up some space to pay Ullmark.
That’s the plan

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I find Puck Pedia pretty good ... different interface but plenty of detail. CapWages has a similar look and feel to the basics.

For me its the data quality. CapFriendly was the boss. Their data was trusted. I am going with PuckPedia to take the reigns .. now you can look at the CapWages and CapSpace and Puckpedia and get 3 different answers to Cap space. The site called capspace has the Sens at Projected Cap Space: $-8,262,380; CapWages is $2,500,953 and Puckpedia is $1,909,285. So who do we trust? Oddly CapSpace makes no attempt to project a realistic roster and provide the Cap Space. CapWages also has us at 22/23 re the roster and PuckPedia at 21/23. CapWages managed to save capspace with an additional roster player.

Data is King. We need to be able to trust the data
Some of those sites need to be more careful at estimating the teams' salaries/AAV and the roster players. Capfriendly was very good at doing it. These other sites don't seem to know what to do; their staff must be green or not that interested in getting things right (i.e., not serious hockey fans).

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

I think it was reported that he blocked a trade.
I have now listened to the interview with Kaplan. Based on what she said, it appears Detroit was on Trouba's No Trade list and thus he was able to block the trade to Detroit. She did not say anything about when Trouba submitted his no trade list to NYR.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
I have now listened to the interview with Kaplan. Based on what she said, it appears Detroit was on Trouba's No Trade list and thus he was able to block the trade to Detroit. She did not say anything about when Trouba submitted his no trade list to NYR.

He didn't have a no trade list before July 1st because he had a full NMC.

He would have had to submit a trade list for July 1st when his full NMC changed to a partial-NMC.

Reactions: Cosmix

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
We have almost no cap space.
I thought we had about $3.6 M left to fill the 12th and 13th F and 7th D positions. I agree it is not a lot and we are unlikely to get a good RD unless we trade another D such as JBD or Hamonic. I know Hamonic has a NMC clause.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Forsberg has one more yr left, unless he has an incredible yr, it's most likely he walks after next season & Sogaard at that point should be in a position to replace him at a much cheaper salary opeing up some space to pay Ullmark.
it depends on forsbergs play and sogaards play. If sogaard is meh we will need a good backup and he will most likely get waived next year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad