Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
We should not forget that these are human beings with lives & when athletes are traded it upends all of their lives,. Their children are forced to change schools & lose their friends & their wife's life if she has a job that is entrneched loses her job & friends as well, their lives are turned upside down in an instant. Yes, they are millionaires & will survive, but they are also people with their own problems & their own lives outside of hockey & big moves are difficult on everyone associated with the family.
Sure, but when they take the job of being an NHL player, they accept what goes with that. If he no longer wants to deal with being traded, he can negotiate a full NMC in his contract next time, or retire and work in a different profession,

Nobody is forced to do anything, he just need to choose what is more important to him and his family, his job or his ability to stay in NY without the potential of his employment moving elsewhere.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
I think the blocking a trade to Detroit thing is that he had a NMC until July 1st that became a partial NTC on July 1st.

I think people are implying that because he knew Rangers and Detroit were talking, he deliberately put Detroit on his list when he had to submit it.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
I know absolutely nothing about Chiasson but Bourgault seems like a better player than Jarventie to me. I watched him on that Shawinigan team quite a bit. I was a bigger fan of Bourque but Bourgault was impressive as well and seemed a bit more consistent.

Beech

Nov 25, 2020
That would be absolutely terrible.
HUH!!

It happens all the time. You get my mistake, I take yours.

Edmonton's two are seemingly busts.. Jar. may be injured. Take a look at his last 2 season. He has played in only 1/2 of the games.

Mid summer, this is when the cleaning lady comes out

Reactions: aragorn

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I know absolutely nothing about Chiasson but Bourgault seems like a better player than Jarventie to me. I watched him on that Shawinigan team quite a bit. I was a bigger fan of Bourque but Bourgault was impressive as well and seemed a bit more consistent.
I've never been a fan of Jarventie, always felt like a long shot.

For what it's worth (not a lot) the Athletic had Bourgault as edmonton's 2nd best prospect, here's their write up on him,

Though the numbers haven’t come in the AHL yet (Bourgault was actually one of a poor Bakersfield team’s most productive players as a rookie last year but has hit a bit of a wall this season), I still believe Bourgault will figure it out. He was one of the QMJHL’s best forwards two years ago when I was consistently impressed by him in double-digit live viewings split between three Hockey Canada events and the Memorial Cup.

Though his late-October birthday was always a factor in contextualizing his three standout seasons in junior, Bourgault’s tools almost all grade out highly. He does a great job improvising under pressure to slide pucks around defenders, switch from a two-hand carry to a one-hand carry or pick up his pace. His handles and edges as he adjusts to pressure both look easy (he was one of the better stickhandlers in the QMJHL as well). He has developed into a quick skater in straight lines. I like his change of direction with the puck. And his game has deception, with little stutters in his release that force the goalie down early and fake passes that force defenders to bite. He hides the puck on his stick and sends mixed signals beautifully because his hands, feet and eyes do different things. He’s dangerous in a variety of ways, with a release that comes off his blade early in his shooting motion and stance to surprise goalies (off either foot or from awkward postures, too), a hard one-timer and smart instincts inside the offensive zone.

And though he’s neither big nor small, his detail has made him an able penalty killer at various points in his career, he holds his own defensively, and he plays through contact consistently thanks in part to good core balance over a wide skating stance.

He does have work to do to get to the middle third against pros more than he has, though. And while he, like Holloway, played some centre coming up, he projects as a winger. Still, there’s a path for him to develop into an impactful secondary playmaker as a top-nine winger with power-play upside.

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site

Their AHL numbers say otherwise.

A guy like Bourgault should look great in junior. The first real test for a prospect with that profile is whether he can perform in the AHL. Granted, I'm not watching his games, but the numbers suggest he hasn't made the jump to pro hockey.

Meanwhile, Jarventie - after some early growing pains struggles - has. He's even looked decent for a rookie at the NHL level.

Same age. Same contractual statuses. One guy is bigger and has better production. We gave that guy up plus a 4th. I don't get this, but am willing to see how it plays out.

Last edited:

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
I don't think we should have had to give up a pick.

With that said, maybe the logic is that Jake Chiasson was taken 4 years before when that 2025 pick will be taken and we need players who can possibly compete for spots on ELCs/cheap RFA deals.

I know of Bourgault as he was a high pick, but I am not familiar enough to really comment. The way I always look at these change of scenery swaps like this one or the Sokolov one, is that if one of these players becomes a superstar with the change of scenery, it's irrelevant. They probably weren't trending in that direction here, and they had no real trade value.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

A guy like Bourgault should look great in junior. The first real test for a prospect with that profile is whether he can perform in the AHL. Granted, I'm not watching his games, but the numbers suggest he hasn't made the jump to pro hockey.

Meanwhile, Jarventie - after some early growing pains struggles - has. He's even looked decent at the NHL level.

Same age. Same contractual statuses. One guy is bigger and has better production. We gave that guy up plus a 4th. I don't get this.
He seemed to have a fairly good first year, then took a step back production wise this past season. There may be some context to consider that doesn't come through just checking out Hockey DB.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison

Meanwhile, Jarventie - after some early growing pains struggles - has. He's even looked decent for a rookie at the NHL level.

Same age. Same contractual statuses. One guy is bigger and has better production. We gave that guy up plus a 4th. I don't get this.

The numbers aren't apples to oranges as this is Jarventie's third pro season and only Bourgault's second pro season.

They had fairly comparable first pro seasons just in terms of production. Because I don't follow or watch the AHL, I would wait to hear the logic behind the acquisition and why Bourgault's production dropped. He could have been used a certain way, he could have dealt with injuries, we don't know.

Ultimately, unless someone is coming from a position of knowledge about the players and their development curve so far, everybody is just guessing. There are a few people here who watch the AHL closely and might be able to chime in.

Reactions: Senator Stanley

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
I love when people immediately flip out over small trades like this like they actually watch Bourgault in the AHL or know anything about him.

Jarventie had promise but it was a long shot for him to make this team and he had been getting passes by several players in the AHL in the depth chart. His chances of finding a full time spot on this team were getting smaller and smaller, so hopefully Bourgault impresses and shows there's a spot for him on this team.

Reactions: Relapsing

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Well... Staios def knows these guys and maybe he saw something in Bourgault during his time there. So we are swapping a low chance winger for another low change winger. I know my opinion of this trade is swayed by my opinion of Jarventie. I just never saw it with him at all. Not good enough to be a top 6 and doesn't have the game to fit into a bottom 6 role (all imo and I admit I am wrong plenty).

I don't really get the 4th and Chaisson unless it was Edm wanting a sweetener and then Staios coming back with another asset as a lottery ticket or help for Belleville.

Reactions: DrEasy

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Huge no to Trouba unless he's bought out and then wants to come here for league minimum.

I'm surprised the Rags haven't been able to make a deal work with the Isles or Devils (both of those teams are close enough to where his Wife wants to work that it wouldn't ruin Trouba's personal life unless he really doesn't want to play there.

Trouba feels like the kinda guy Lou would want and even a swap of Trouba for Pageau, Palmieri, Mayfield, etc., and whatever draft picks prospects needed to balance it out.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison

We also like to add second generation players. Chiasson's dad played here, so that might factor in.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Bourgault was very good in the Mem Cup. Not sure he is overall a better prospect than Jarventie though. Very good hands. I thought Jarventie was really starting to come in to his own from when he was moved to C on. Still young... 2 knee injuries in consecutive years .. no info on that.

Hopefully its a good change for both.

Chiasson is a grinder. A shoulder injury requiring surgery in 2021 oilers dev camp has seemed to derail him or at least set him back from that time.

I'd like to know the big motivation for this move.

Ad

Ad

Ad