Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
12F + 8D + 2G = 22 man roster?

I can see a benefit from having 8D on the roster versus extra Fs: those 8 can play D and substitute in as a 4th line F if necessary when on road trips where callups from Belleville might not be able to arrive in time for games.

Usually forwards cannot skate backwards well enough to play D. Only a few Fs have ever also played D on a regular basis. The one that comes to mind was Red Kelly. There were a few others. Even the Great One, Gretzky, could not play D as he could not skate backwards well enough.

Capfriendly had the $850,000 amount to be charged against the cap in the 2024-25 season.
If its charged this year .. I misunderstood the info they showed. I never saw the Capfriendly page ; Can we still see that?

On PuckPedia... it is clearly charged in 24/25 .. If you go to their PuckGM section and then Cap Projections .. its listed there

1721232337767.png

Last edited:

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Well, if we sign Clutterbuck, he's a better vet. I think signing Kylington would open up moving JBD as an option too.

The reality is we only have capspace for 2 scratches, Hamonic likely takes one, the other could either be MacEwen or JBD but if we waive JBD he's more likely to get claimed.
Kylington shoots left.

What about Bortuzzo? Is he a better Hamonic at this stage?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Kylington shoots left.

What about Bortuzzo? Is he a better Hamonic at this stage?
He does shoot left but plays both sides, and was borderline top4 caliber before having some mental health issues. I really like him so I may be biased, but I think he's a good third pair RD candidate that can move up into the top 4 in a pinch.

I've never liked Bortuzzo, I'd rather run with JBD

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Kylington + Clutterbuck would improve the team and add two great names, including an "Uck" to replace Katchouk.

I would have been wary about adding Kylington before bringing in Ullmark, but I feel like Ullmark is about as good of a veteran support for Kylington as there is out there

Reactions: NB613 and bicboi64

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Kylington + Clutterbuck would improve the team and add two great names, including an "Uck" to replace Katchouk.

I would have been wary about adding Kylington before bringing in Ullmark, but I feel like Ullmark is about as good of a veteran support for Kylington as there is out there
plus having Clutterbuck on our team + Brady means we'll be throwing out even more hits than we already do, which is insane.

Clutterbuck would bring the perfect amount of vet toughness to the bottom 6 but only on a league min deal

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
With Kuznetsov's contract being terminated, the Caps are almost under the cap now.

May still need to move somebody. With Carlson, Roy and TVR at RD, I wonder about Ethan Bear.

Had some struggles and was put in the Player Assistance Program, but he's probably a better RD than JBD or Hamonic.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
With Kuznetsov's contract being terminated, the Caps are almost under the cap now.

May still need to move somebody. With Carlson, Roy and TVR at RD, I wonder about Ethan Bear.

Had some struggles and was put in the Player Assistance Program, but he's probably a better RD than JBD or Hamonic.
I'd take Bear in a heartbeat over JBD or Hamonic. Plus he's got the skillset to still get the puck out of our zone

Reactions: Bileur and NB613

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Giroux was asked about an extension on Coming in Hot today, just said there have been no discussions yet and basically doesn't really want the distraction.

Good in Osgoode

Jan 15, 2018
Osgoode
Giroux was asked about an extension on Coming in Hot today, just said there have been no discussions yet and basically doesn't really want the distraction.
New contracts for Giroux & Ullmark could become a big distraction for this team over the season.
Hopefully, we can work something out for both of these guys, especially Ullmark.

I can't see Giroux wanting to go somewhere else but at the same time, if there are issues between him and the young core (Tkachuk), this will be something to watch for sure.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
New contracts for Giroux & Ullmark could become a big distraction for this team over the season.
Hopefully, we can work something out for both of these guys, especially Ullmark.

I can't see Giroux wanting to go somewhere else but at the same time, if there are issues between him and the young core (Tkachuk), this will be something to watch for sure.

If neither side is close, a good policy would be to say that they aren't going to talk extensions until closer to the new year.

Most people know the score with where this team is at. This is a "show me" year for everybody. Giroux and Ullmark not re-signing only becomes a distraction if we're firmly contending for a playoff spot in the new year, and they still won't put pen to paper.

I could be in the minority, but I didn't expect Giroux to re-sign before the season with how the last two years have played out here. I could see Ullmark possibly signing because goaltending is always volatile, especially when joining a new system, and securing the bag could be important. At the same time, it wouldn't surprise me if he wants to play out at least half the season to get a feel for what he would be committing to.

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
We should not forget that these are human beings with lives & when athletes are traded it upends all of their lives,. Their children are forced to change schools & lose their friends & their wife's life if she has a job that is entrenched loses her job & friends as well, their lives are turned upside down in an instant. Yes, they are millionaires & will survive, but they are also people with their own problems & their own lives outside of hockey & big moves are difficult on everyone associated with the family.
Did you listen to Jensen's interview? Has two kids and expecting the third Sept 21. Amadio...he has a 7 month old. Ullmark..2 little ones.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
If its charged this year .. I misunderstood the info they showed. I never saw the Capfriendly page ; Can we still see that?

On PuckPedia... it is clearly charged in 24/25 .. If you go to their PuckGM section and then Cap Projections .. its listed there

View attachment 895453
I did not take a screenshot of it but I remember seeing it. Mickelbot mentioned the $850,000 bonus having to be charged against the cap for 2024-25. I had not seen it so I looked at Capfriendly to see where it was. I found it. I have tried to get it using Wayback Machine. I will try.

I can find some pages but not the one for Ottawa Senators roster AAV

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013

Unfortunately if we miss the playoffs yet again, then I think Giroux is good as gone.

Reactions: scout20

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Nor to discuss it in public. :)
Unfortunately if we miss the playoffs yet again, then I think Giroux is good as gone.
I am not certain of that; his family might want to live here rather than move to another city.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013

there are a lot of rumors that oshie is going to be ltir'd at least to start the season

so they may actually have cap space to add another piece or two

their gm has done a great job this offseason

Reactions: NB613

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I wouldn't sign G early. Wait to see how he does this season. He lost a step last year and he is not young anymore

These guys hit walls and fast

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
plus having Clutterbuck on our team + Brady means we'll be throwing out even more hits than we already do, which is insane.

Clutterbuck would bring the perfect amount of vet toughness to the bottom 6 but only on a league min deal

He also contributes to Andlauer’s French speaking player mission.

• Haha
Reactions: bicboi64

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
He does shoot left but plays both sides, and was borderline top4 caliber before having some mental health issues. I really like him so I may be biased, but I think he's a good third pair RD candidate that can move up into the top 4 in a pinch.

I've never liked Bortuzzo, I'd rather run with JBD
Yeah, they kinda said that about Chychrun! Playing both sides...I really like Kylington as well, but I would think the management's mentality is to have that right shot.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Yeah, they kinda said that about Chychrun! Playing both sides...I really like Kylington as well, but I would think the management's mentality is to have that right shot.
Yeah, that's fair. I'm a bit more comfortable with a guy playing 3rd pair on his offside though, especially when imo he's borderline 2nd pair caliber.

I think he's better than some of the RHD options that remain, even on his offside, and can be sheltered more in a 3rd pair role than we could Chychrun in the top 4.

Ideal world though, we find a good RHD.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Yeah, that's fair. I'm a bit more comfortable with a guy playing 3rd pair on his offside though, especially when imo he's borderline 2nd pair caliber.

I think he's better than some of the RHD options that remain, even on his offside, and can be sheltered more in a 3rd pair role than we could Chychrun in the top 4.

Ideal world though, we find a good RHD.
What happens if Jensen's decline starts/continues (I guess depending on your perspective of how his season went last year) and you have to shelter him a bit too?

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019

View attachment 895453

I did not take a screenshot of it but I remember seeing it. Mickelbot mentioned the $850,000 bonus having to be charged against the cap for 2024-25. I had not seen it so I looked at Capfriendly to see where it was. I found it. I have tried to get it using Wayback Machine. I will try.

I can find some pages but not the one for Ottawa Senators roster AAV
I saw the Sanderson $850 k for 2024-25 on CapFriendly when the site was still live fwiw.

I made a few of my spreadsheets with that figure included as well.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
What happens if Jensen's decline starts/continues (I guess depending on your perspective of how his season went last year) and you have to shelter him a bit too?
If the top 4 D we acquired regresses to the point that he is no longer suitable for top 4 duties, then we're in trouble, having more depth at the 3rd pair isn't really going to impact that unless you have a 3rd pair option that is capable moving up. Those aren't readily available though, if they were, people would be advocating grabbing one of them.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Jensen was a risky pickup. The fact that they went with him should illustrate the situation. They struck out on all the top RHD UFAs. They were also in a tricky situation where they needed to move Chychrun off the book for value, and then use that value to acquire a RHD because of how few assets they had.

It's difficult to say how well they played it without knowing what kind of offers were on the table for Chychrun at the draft, and whether they had to take back cap for a player who didn't fit their needs.

Jensen is the type of player they needed, but his supposed decline in Washington is a slight concern. If he stinks, I don't think the second year will matter, because if we don't sort our defense out we probably miss the playoffs and then if we miss the playoffs we might be forced into a re-tool regardless.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad