Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
plus having Clutterbuck on our team + Brady means we'll be throwing out even more hits than we already do, which is insane.

Clutterbuck would bring the perfect amount of vet toughness to the bottom 6 but only on a league min deal

Assuming Hamonic and MacEwen as extras, there are two forward spots open with Gregor on the fourth line and one defensive spot that is Kleven's to lose. JBD is the de facto RD at the moment, although that is where we are lacking a physical/stay-at-home veteran RD (who can shelter young Kleven).

I am not sure he signs for league minimum, but I would definitely extend an invite to Clutterbuck for a PTO tryout if he is still without a job come training camp. I like Clutterbuck and he just had a full season scoring 19 points. However, players of his style of play typically takes a steep fall when they become a liability very rapidly, he is 37 in November. Unfortunately, unless they have takers, MacEwen is that guy on the team with two more seasons left in his contract. I thought he was looking better as he was getting comfortable before getting injured last season. He is still a speed bag for opposing fighters, so I like him off ice.

Essentially, I want everyone fighting for those two spots show what they got and win the job in training camp. I am rooting for young Ostapchuk in the C position. Halliday, Crookshank, Gaudette, PTO invitees, et. al fighting for the other spot.

Last edited:

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I'm surprised nobody has signed Kylington yet, he missed some time due to mental health issues, but was a promising player before that.

I'd gladly give him a show me deal if that's why he's looking for,
Apparently he’s looking for 3. And sort of back stabbed the flames. From listening to a biased flames podcast

Reactions: Micklebot

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
In terms of PTO options, from some players that played outside of North America last season and still aren't signed, there is Nick Ritchie, Brett Ritchie, Anthony Camara, Scott Kosmachuk, Nail Yakupov, Luke Witkowski and Patrice Cormier.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
In terms of PTO options, from some players that played outside of North America last season and still aren't signed, there is Nick Ritchie, Brett Ritchie, Anthony Camara, Scott Kosmachuk, Nail Yakupov, Luke Witkowski and Patrice Cormier.
Yakopov has really fallen off the map as a former #1 OA pick, I can remember getting into arguements with people when I said I wouldn't draft him. I wanted Tom Wilson in that 2021 draft when Ott had the 15th OA.

Reactions: Icelevel

senswon

Quo Tendimus
Aug 1, 2007
Kingstone
I kinda want to keep him at center with that large frame.
Id move pinto to the wing before Halliday.
Imo Norris' shot is better used from the wing and halliday appears to be more of a distributor.
Only questions I have are
1. How's his D coverage?
2. Him got speed? Any bite to his game?
3. How to ease him into the lineup

Gotta think he's a next year problem

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
Id move pinto to the wing before Halliday.
Imo Norris' shot is better used from the wing and halliday appears to be more of a distributor.
Only questions I have are
1. How's his D coverage?
2. Him got speed? Any bite to his game?
3. How to ease him into the lineup

Gotta think he's a next year problem

Really? Pinto isn't your classic playmaking centre, but he's going to be a great 200 foot centreman. I'd be shocked if Halliday can ever do what Pinto does at the NHL level, and what Halliday does really well he should be able to do from the wing (assuming he even makes it).

Look at what Dallas does with Hintz and Robertson. Twenty years ago, Robertson might have been a centre, in the classic Jason Spezza/Jason Allison mold. These days, guys with his vision but slower pace are better suited to the wing, while a guy like Hintz, who's more of a shooter but can skate, is better suited to the demands of the middle.

Last edited:
Reactions: LiseL

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
What's wrong with putting Halliday on the 4th line to start. There's no rule that says you can't have playmaking ability on your bottom line. Pair him up with a couple speedy crashers and bangers and we might have something.
It’s not really playing to his strengths. He’s a playmaker, putting him with guys who typically don’t score much and are really just there to provide energy and wear down the opposition isn’t ideal because his role should be to produce. You can find better players for energy and defensive play for your 4th line.

You CAN do it, I’m just not really sure why you would. I don’t see this being much of an issue though - the reality is we aren’t gonna have a healthy top 9 most of the year and whether it’s at wing (where he’ll likely be long-term if he makes the NHL) or at centre, if he proves to be NHL ready he will get to play plenty of top 9 minutes in call-ups.

Giroux and Perron aren’t getting any younger, so eventually he’d settle into a permanent spot. In the meantime if you can’t give him top 9 minutes just keep him in the AHL.

SensFanInMTL

Apr 25, 2020
1721415820866.png

Reactions: bicboi64

senswon

Quo Tendimus
Aug 1, 2007
Kingstone
Really? Pinto isn't your classic playmaking centre, but he's going to be a great 200 foot centreman. I'd be shocked if Halliday can ever do what Pinto does at the NHL level, and what Halliday does really well he should be able to do from the wing (assuming he even makes it).

Look at what Dallas does with Hintz and Robertson. Twenty years ago, Robertson might have been a centre, in the classic Jason Spezza/Jason Allison mold. These days, guys with his vision but slower pace are better suited to the wing, while a guy like Hintz, who's more of a shooter but can skate, is better suited to the demands of the middle.
I mean you make some good points, but I saw pinto in a 2c role and he plays it like a checking center imo. He's not a distributor, and does more banging. A bigger Mike Fisher. Imo pinto, atm suffers a similar situation. Really great 3C, ok 2C.

Imo Halliday is more a playmaker, which the 2nd line could use--- more next season, than this season. I'm not saying his ceiling is higher, but his strengths are different and welcomed. Happy to watch him continue to develop in Belleville as his early returns are promising coming out of college where he was a standout and continued that play in the Ahl

It's kinda a great problem to have and as was mentioned, Perron and G are gonna be here a short while longer.

Sorry for the novel.
Either way glad Halliday is looking like a player.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
The Giroux’s are about to have another baby doubt they want to leave but can Ottawa make it work financially?
Giroux is going nowhere, both sides will make it work. He is 100% retiring a Senator. It's either Ottawa or nothing at this point for him.

He even said "I haven't even thought about a new contract". That's because he knows as long as he wants to play, it's going to be here in Ottawa no matter what. He's made his big money, his agent will get him a fair contract, but he's not moving anywhere at this point.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
It’s not really playing to his strengths. He’s a playmaker, putting him with guys who typically don’t score much and are really just there to provide energy and wear down the opposition isn’t ideal because his role should be to produce. You can find better players for energy and defensive play for your 4th line.

You CAN do it, I’m just not really sure why you would. I don’t see this being much of an issue though - the reality is we aren’t gonna have a healthy top 9 most of the year and whether it’s at wing (where he’ll likely be long-term if he makes the NHL) or at centre, if he proves to be NHL ready he will get to play plenty of top 9 minutes in call-ups.

Giroux and Perron aren’t getting any younger, so eventually he’d settle into a permanent spot. In the meantime if you can’t give him top 9 minutes just keep him in the AHL.

Havlat broke on on the 4th line with Fisher and Neil and it was still to this day the best 4th line Ottawa has ever had

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
Havlat broke on on the 4th line with Fisher and Neil and it was still to this day the best 4th line Ottawa has ever had
But where are Fisher and Neil on the current Sens? Halliday would be playing with Gregor and MacEwen. Havlat was also a great skater and Halliday isn’t, so I’m not sure his game is as adaptable to a 4th line role.

Reactions: bert

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Havlat broke in a year before Neil was in the league (and scored 42 pts, 28 at ES while doing it), he played with Zammner and Prospal/Fisher who were the third line. Occasionally he moved up with Hossa,

The fourth line would have been guys like Emmons, Forbes and Andre Roy.

The next year when Neil joined the team, guys like Muckalt, Roy, Ciernek, Steve Martin, Jody Hull, and Neil rotated through the fourth line, Neil however get some shifts up the lineup to play with Fish and Havlat.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Havlat broke in a year before Neil was in the league (and scored 42 pts, 28 at ES while doing it), he played with Zammner and Prospal/Fisher who were the third line. Occasionally he moved up with Hossa,

The fourth line would have been guys like Emmons, Forbes and Andre Roy.

The next year when Neil joined the team, guys like Muckalt, Roy, Ciernek, Steve Martin, Jody Hull, and Neil rotated through the fourth line, Neil however get some shifts up the lineup to play with Fish and Havlat.
Was gong to say.. I don't remember Fisher and Havlat on the 4th line much if at all.... but my memory is shite so can't really rely on it. (too many hits to the head and/or too much partying) either way it is what it is.

Reactions: Micklebot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad