Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
A bunch of good FA's still available in mid july is good news for us as we only have 10 forwards that have spots for next year

Tkachuk-Stutzle-Giroux
Norris-Pinto-Batherson
Perron-Greig-Amadio
Gregor

Eventually it will be PTO/league minimum time and we could probably get someone to come in and compete with macewen/crookshank/ostaphcuk/halliday/jenik

Sprong/JVR/Johnson would be solid gets. Vrana would be a good one if we believe he is past his issues and are willing to give him a chance. Clutterbuck and Cousins would be typical 4th line options. So we have choices.

On Defense we have 4.5 spots locked (i think kleven is a lock considering the moves we have made but its not official)

Sanderson-Zub
Chabot-Jensen
Kleven

JBD and Hamonic dueling for that last spot. Defense has less options but can get Barrie/Kylington/Schultz/Shattenkirk/Bortuzzo.

Considering defense has less options ideally we would be able to pay more and secure someone on a guaranteed deal not but that would require moving JBD

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
I'm surprised nobody has signed Kylington yet, he missed some time due to mental health issues, but was a promising player before that.

I'd gladly give him a show me deal if that's why he's looking for,

I suspect he and his agent are still looking for too rich a contract. Word was he had an offer from Calgary but turned it down to test the market. You do that because your agent is telling you there's a better offer out there. Clearly that hasn't materialized, and so they're in wait and pray mode.

We saw something similar with Tarasenko last summer. He passed on July 1st offers, the market dried up, he fired his agent, and he settled for a one year deal in late July.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Was wondering what they were going to do with Mandolese.

Sogaard and Merilainen are splitting duties in Belleville and Simpson is probably going to be the ECHL starter who gets AHL time in case of injury.

I think it is the opposite. If I recall, Simpson is on a 1-way AHL contract. Merilainen in the ECHL gets him more reps, and he can play in the AHL when Sogaard gets called up to the NHL.

Merilainen is on his ELC, which allows the Sens to assign him to the ECHL. If the priority is to develop him, it makes sense for him to get reps in the ECHL instead of sitting on the bench on Belleville.

Sogaard signing at league minimum was really important. It removes any barrier from him being the first call up. It is unlikely that both our NHL goalies avoid injuries for an entire year, so there will be a chance for Merilainen to get some AHL reps.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I think it is the opposite. If I recall, Simpson is on a 1-way AHL contract. Merilainen in the ECHL gets him more reps, and he can play in the AHL when Sogaard gets called up to the NHL.

Merilainen is on his ELC, which allows the Sens to assign him to the ECHL. If the priority is to develop him, it makes sense for him to get reps in the ECHL instead of sitting on the bench on Belleville.

Sogaard signing at league minimum was really important. It removes any barrier from him being the first call up. It is unlikely that both our NHL goalies avoid injuries for an entire year, so there will be a chance for Merilainen to get some AHL reps.
Merilainen will be in Belleville, Simpson in the ECHL.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

I'm pretty sure the 1-way AHL contract just means that Simpson will get his agreed upon AHL salary even if he's playing in the ECHL.

Nothing wrong with Sogaard and Merilainen splitting starts at the AHL level.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I'm surprised nobody has signed Kylington yet, he missed some time due to mental health issues, but was a promising player before that.

I'd gladly give him a show me deal if that's why he's looking for,
Loved Kylington since the Flames drafted him and wanted Ottawa to pick him over Gagne and Chlapik in 2015.

Bring him home and watch him emerge as a top 4 talent while defending his countrymen Ullmark and Forsberg

Reactions: LiseL

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
A bunch of good FA's still available in mid july is good news for us as we only have 10 forwards that have spots for next year

Tkachuk-Stutzle-Giroux
Norris-Pinto-Batherson
Perron-Greig-Amadio
Gregor

Eventually it will be PTO/league minimum time and we could probably get someone to come in and compete with macewen/crookshank/ostaphcuk/halliday/jenik

Sprong/JVR/Johnson would be solid gets. Vrana would be a good one if we believe he is past his issues and are willing to give him a chance. Clutterbuck and Cousins would be typical 4th line options. So we have choices.

On Defense we have 4.5 spots locked (i think kleven is a lock considering the moves we have made but its not official)

Sanderson-Zub
Chabot-Jensen
Kleven

JBD and Hamonic dueling for that last spot. Defense has less options but can get Barrie/Kylington/Schultz/Shattenkirk/Bortuzzo.

Considering defense has less options ideally we would be able to pay more and secure someone on a guaranteed deal not but that would require moving JBD

I think we have enough depth at forward after adding Jenik, who unlike Sokolov is someone who I could see winning a 4th line spot in camp.

Worth noting that Travis Green coached both Gaudette and MacEwen in Vancouver. I suspect both will be given every opportunity to make the team.

Then there's Ostapchuk, Crookshank and Highmore, all of whom could play in a limited 4th line role without issue. Halliday and Bourgault are darkhorses but I imagine they'll need more time at the AHL level before making the jump.

Defense is where we need to add depth. JBD and Hamonic ideally are benchwarmers who come in after an injury. Beyond Kleven at LD we only have Roos and Davies, two guys who shouldn't see NHL ice unless there are numerous guys on the IR.

Considering Chabot's injury history, it's a risk entering the season with Kleven, a rookie with 17 games total, penciled into a spot with no good insurance behind him.

Definitely should be looking at adding a decent depth D or two.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Loved Kylington since the Flames drafted him and wanted Ottawa to pick him over Gagne and Chlapik in 2015.

Bring him home and watch him emerge as a top 4 talent while defending his countrymen Ullmark and Forsberg
I wonder if he's maybe holding out for too much, his last deal was 2.5 and he was playing 18 mins a night. He probably doesn't want to take a pay cut, but having missed a year hurts his leverage

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I thought we had about $3.6 M left to fill the 12th and 13th F and 7th D positions. I agree it is not a lot and we are unlikely to get a good RD unless we trade another D such as JBD or Hamonic. I know Hamonic has a NMC clause.

CapFriendly was showing 3.6M but once Kleven, and two of Gaudette/Crookshank/Jenik are called up we'd only have about 1.1-1.2M with a 22/23 man roster.

If we wanted to have two scratches and a full roster, we'd have almost no cap space.

If we're comfortable going with 13F/7D/2G, we could afford to add a guy for around 1M, but certainly not someone like Manson.

Reactions: Cosmix

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
I think we have enough depth at forward after adding Jenik, who unlike Sokolov is someone who I could see winning a 4th line spot in camp.

Worth noting that Travis Green coached both Gaudette and MacEwen in Vancouver. I suspect both will be given every opportunity to make the team.

Then there's Ostapchuk, Crookshank and Highmore, all of whom could play in a limited 4th line role without issue. Halliday and Bourgault are darkhorses but I imagine they'll need more time at the AHL level before making the jump.

Defense is where we need to add depth. JBD and Hamonic ideally are benchwarmers who come in after an injury. Beyond Kleven at LD we only have Roos and Davies, two guys who shouldn't see NHL ice unless there are numerous guys on the IR.

Considering Chabot's injury history, it's a risk entering the season with Kleven, a rookie with 17 games total, penciled into a spot with no good insurance behind him.

Definitely should be looking at adding a decent depth D or two.
i definitely agree that defense should be priority

that being said i think he need one more depth scoring option. I dont know if im fully sold on amadio being a consistent 3rd liner. We also need to factor in and take into account regression for giroux and perron. If we could get a JVR/Vrana/Johnson it would do a lot. I also expect Macewen to be the 13th forward on the team, rotating in.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Clutterbuck and Kylington would be great adds, offer them each 1.25 for as many years as you're comfortable with and see if they bite.

...LWCRWCap hit
L1Tkachuk, Brady "C"Stützle, TimGiroux, Claude "A"$ 23,055,714.00
L2Greig, RidlyPinto, ShaneBatherson, Drake$ 9,588,333.00
L3PerronNorris, JoshuaAmadio$ 14,550,000.00
L4GregorOstapchukClutterbuck$ 2,875,000.00
..LDRD..
P1Sanderson, JakeZub, Artem .$ 12,650,000.00
P2Chabot, Thomas "A"Jensen .$ 12,050,000.00
P3Kleven, TylerKylington .
$ 2,166,667.00
G1Ullmark . .$ 5,000,000.00
G2Forsberg, Anton . .$ 2,750,000.00
ExtraJBD . .$ 805,000.00
Hamonic
$ 1,100,000.00
CAP...$ 88,000,000.00
CAPHIT...$ 86,590,714.00
DEAD
.​
..$1,225,000
Space...
$ 184,286.00

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Clutterbuck and Kylington would be great adds, offer them each 1.25 for as many years as you're comfortable with and see if they bite.

...LWCRWCap hit
L1Tkachuk, Brady "C"Stützle, TimGiroux, Claude "A"$ 23,055,714.00
L2Greig, RidlyPinto, ShaneBatherson, Drake$ 9,588,333.00
L3PerronNorris, JoshuaAmadio$ 14,550,000.00
L4GregorOstapchukClutterbuck$ 2,875,000.00
..LDRD..
P1Sanderson, JakeZub, Artem .$ 12,650,000.00
P2Chabot, Thomas "A"Jensen .$ 12,050,000.00
P3Kleven, TylerKylington .
$ 2,166,667.00
G1Ullmark . .$ 5,000,000.00
G2Forsberg, Anton . .$ 2,750,000.00
ExtraJBD . .$ 805,000.00
Hamonic
$ 1,100,000.00
CAP...$ 88,000,000.00
CAPHIT...$ 86,590,714.00
DEAD
.​
..$1,225,000
Space...
$ 184,286.00
I dont see us sending down macewen. Last year was due to being strapped for cap but the team has made a point of having vets around. At least to start the year i expect him to be the 12/13th forward

• Haha
Reactions: NB613

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I dont see us sending down macewen. Last year was due to being strapped for cap but the team has made a point of having vets around. At least to start the year i expect him to be the 12/13th forward
Well, if we sign Clutterbuck, he's a better vet. I think signing Kylington would open up moving JBD as an option too.

The reality is we only have capspace for 2 scratches, Hamonic likely takes one, the other could either be MacEwen or JBD but if we waive JBD he's more likely to get claimed.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
If I recall, we have enough cap space to fill out a 21-23 player roster, with one of those players being a "luxury" player who makes maybe 2M-3M.

Puckpedia has us with 1.9M in cap space at 21 players. Granted, 1-2 of the players they show on our roster may not be on the final team, but whoever replaces them will have a similar six figure cap hit.

I also wonder if Hamonic ends up LTIRetired for the final year of his contract. They said he had an issue with his knee but was expected to be ready for camp, but maybe there will be a "set back" and he will be happy to sit at home and rest his knee while collecting paycheques vs sitting in the press box.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
If I recall, we have enough cap space to fill out a 21-23 player roster, with one of those players being a "luxury" player who makes maybe 2M-3M.

Puckpedia has us with 1.9M in cap space at 21 players.
No not enough room for a “luxury “ player.
If carry one spare forward and one spare D, (22 man), then leaves about 1 million or less for injuries/callups, future moves.

The above doesn’t include Sanderson’s 850k performance bonus, which I don’t see on, capwages or puckpedia.

Going by Staois, Hammer will be on team, assuming he’s ready like expected.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Well, if we sign Clutterbuck, he's a better vet. I think signing Kylington would open up moving JBD as an option too.

The reality is we only have capspace for 2 scratches, Hamonic likely takes one, the other could either be MacEwen or JBD but if we waive JBD he's more likely to get claimed.
I do agree clutterbuck is a better vet, im also on board with getting kylington. I just dont see staios treating a vet poorly off the bat and the team has made it a thing about keeping the vets around (main reason hamonic is still here)

Would prefer to be wrong as your plan sounds great

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Without moving out $ ; If we looking to sign 2 vets...at under 1m each. What does that list look like?
On D .. Bortuzzo, Tinordi, Giordano, Staal

At C .. Cousins, Cogliano, Bonino, T.Pitlick, Carpenter, Bellemare, Rourke ... more

At W ., JVR, Wheeler, Blais, Lucic , possibly convince one of (Martin, Clutterbuck, Yamamoto) to come in at 1m or less.

According to PuckPedia we have 1.9 cap space with 12-7-2 / 23 That's with Crookshank and MacKewen in the 23 at 775

If we go 22 and want to leave some powder dry e.g. 900k we could spend 1m adding to what's there,

We could upgrade and replace a couple of these guys but the $ can't increase substantially

The Isles don't have any space to sign Clutterbuck or Martin atm

Reactions: Cosmix

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Without moving out $ ; If we looking to sign 2 vets...at under 1m each. What does that list look like?
On D .. Bortuzzo, Tinordi, Giordano, Staal

At C .. Cousins, Cogliano, Bonino, T.Pitlick, Carpenter, Bellemare, Rourke ... more

At W ., JVR, Wheeler, Blais, Lucic , possibly convince one of (Martin, Clutterbuck, Yamamoto) to come in at 1m or less.

According to PuckPedia we have 1.9 cap space with 12-7-2 / 23 That's with Crookshank and MacKewen in the 23 at 775

If we go 22 and want to leave some powder dry e.g. 900k we could spend 1m adding to what's there,

We could upgrade and replace a couple of these guys but the $ can't increase substantially

The Isles don't have any space to sign Clutterbuck or Martin atm
I haven’t seen any site yet that has Sanderson’s ELC performance bonus overage, of 850k listed, that CF had.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I haven’t seen any site yet that has Sanderson’s ELC performance bonus overage, of 850k listed, that CF had.
Unfortunate. Puckpedia shows 850k in Bonus Overage. My understanding is that will be a cap charge next season.

1721179935821.png

See also; 12 will carry a performance bonus overage cap hit next season , Performance Bonuses and Carry Overs

Last edited:

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
We should not forget that these are human beings with lives & when athletes are traded it upends all of their lives,. Their children are forced to change schools & lose their friends & their wife's life if she has a job that is entrenched loses her job & friends as well, their lives are turned upside down in an instant. Yes, they are millionaires & will survive, but they are also people with their own problems & their own lives outside of hockey & big moves are difficult on everyone associated with the family.

BOO- f***ing - HOO

If any NHL players wants to trade jobs with me (and most people think I have a good job) I’ll do it in a heart beat and don’t mind if I’m traded 5 times a season.

Feeling sorry for the 1% while most families in Ottawa can’t afford to go to 1 NHL game a season is why society is sick

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I’d prefer to carry 12-8-2. Easier to play a game 7-11.
12F + 8D + 2G = 22 man roster?

I can see a benefit from having 8D on the roster versus extra Fs: those 8 can play D and substitute in as a 4th line F if necessary when on road trips where callups from Belleville might not be able to arrive in time for games.

Usually forwards cannot skate backwards well enough to play D. Only a few Fs have ever also played D on a regular basis. The one that comes to mind was Red Kelly. There were a few others. Even the Great One, Gretzky, could not play D as he could not skate backwards well enough.

Unfortunate. Puckpedia shows 850k in Bonus Overage. My understanding is that will be a cap charge next season.

View attachment 895394

See also; 12 will carry a performance bonus overage cap hit next season , Performance Bonuses and Carry Overs
Capfriendly had the $850,000 amount to be charged against the cap in the 2024-25 season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad