Proposal: Savard 50% retained to Oilers for '26 1st pick?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think the Oilers could use Barron on that RD side but Barron has been kept in the shadows in Montreal by asking him to play AHL and groom his defensive game. It's pretty clear to anybody who follows the situation well.Barron's offensive game is very underrated. Great skater, Great shot, and has well above average goals scored for someone who is not a full time NHL player yet.

I think the Habs want to see how both Barron and Mailloux look in camp, pre season, and to start the regular season. The thing with Barron's value is it could get higher if he shows D zone maturity. I think he made gains in that area last year. Barron knows what is holding him back. Might get him for a 20-32 range 1st now but the price could increase come November/December. I think he might be managed like Primeau was last year due to the waivers issue. I just don't see Hughes unloading for cheap.

Savard will not be traded. Maybe at the TDL if the Habs are out of the bubble mix.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Been talk Oilers interested in Barron? What could Montreal get back? When we put Carey Price on LTIR we have 10 million spare caproom.

I think the Oilers could use Barron. West is not as strong as the East and I think Barron would do well with Nurse.

Habs could loose the trade if we get a 20-32 range 1st for Barron and he becomes the top 4D and reaches his potential. It's a question of how long it takes him to show maturity vs his ability. His offensive ability is already top 4D quality.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I think the Oilers could use Barron. West is not as strong as the East and I think Barron would do well with Nurse.

Habs could loose the trade if we get a 20-32 range 1st for Barron and he becomes the top 4D and reaches his potential. It's a question of how long it takes him to show maturity vs his ability. His offensive ability is already top 4D quality.
I don’t think anyone is trading a first for Barron

Reactions: nturn06

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don’t think anyone is trading a first for Barron

We don't know. What I do know is Hughes not not trading him for a 2nd rounder and B prospect either. I do think Barron is underrated. He's a rare RD with size/skating/shot. I think he is going to increase his trade value this coming season. Should be an interesting battle between Barron, Mailloux, Reinbacher. Habs are only throwing Barron's name out there because we have Reinbacher and Mailloux. For all we know, Barron gets the job over the other two this season and they play AHL because they can clear waivers.

What might shock you is Hughes might be asking for a 1st and B prospect. That's likely the price and if a team don't want to pay it. Sure. We are not desperate to trade him. Barron is a later 1st round pick who is NHL ready and has not decreased his draft spot value. I think a lot of fans are sleeping on him.... including some Habs fans.

Laugh or not, I do think the Oilers could use him and he ends up being a top 4D for them. I don't care if they say no. I can see some others crapping on Barron now.

If Sandin got a 1st, Barron can return a 1st.

Last edited:

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
We don't know. What I do know is Hughes not not trading him for a 2nd rounder and B prospect either. I do think Barron is underrated. He's a rare RD with size/skating/shot. I think he is going to increase his trade value this coming season. Should be an interesting battle between Barron, Mailloux, Reinbacher. Habs are only throwing Barron's name out there because we have Reinbacher and Mailloux. For all we know, Barron gets the job over the other two this season and they play AHL because they can clear waivers.

What might shock you is Hughes might be asking for a 1st and B prospect. That's likely the price and if a team don't want to pay it. Sure. We are not desperate to trade him. Barron is a later 1st round pick who is NHL ready and has not decreased his draft spot value. I think a lot of fans are sleeping on him.... including some Habs fans.

Laugh or not, I do think the Oilers could use him and he ends up being a top 4D for them. I don't care if they say no. I can see some others crapping on Barron now.

Sandin was good

Is MTL planning on offering Barron 5 mill a year?

Reactions: Xirik

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Emberson played a whooping 30 games, got injured thrice, one a significant injury. Had a -4.2 expected goals for, 42% corsi which was neutral relative to his terrible teammates. PDO was a 99.6 so basically Emberson is exactly what the stats say he was. A bad player on a bad team. He hits a lot, perhaps why he's hurt and blocks shots ok (also why he's injured). And he turns the puck over a good amount given the few games he played in his only NHL season.

Emberson is going to surprise a lot of people. Those people will be Oilers fans that are expecting he'll step in for Ceci and not be a downgrade.

Emberson made this play though

Look at his relative numbers and get back to me. He was arguably San Jose’s best defenceman when he was healthy. He played on a historically shitty team and did pretty well at it, and he won the AHL’s defensive defenceman of the year trophy under Knoblauch.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Emberson played a whooping 30 games, got injured thrice, one a significant injury. Had a -4.2 expected goals for, 42% corsi which was neutral relative to his terrible teammates. PDO was a 99.6 so basically Emberson is exactly what the stats say he was. A bad player on a bad team. He hits a lot, perhaps why he's hurt and blocks shots ok (also why he's injured). And he turns the puck over a good amount given the few games he played in his only NHL season.

Emberson is going to surprise a lot of people. Those people will be Oilers fans that are expecting he'll step in for Ceci and not be a downgrade.

Emberson made this play though

Savard 43% corsi and 45% xGoals share on a bad team: Flirting
Emberson 42% corsi and 43% xGoals share on by far the worst team in hockey: Harassment

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Savard 43% corsi and 45% xGoals share on a bad team: Flirting
Emberson 42% corsi and 43% xGoals share on by far the worst team in hockey: Harassment
Just a couple bottom pair guys there , ho hum . One was a complete afterthought in a trade , the other some are expecting a 1 st round draft compensation . Doesn’t really add up

Reactions: dgibb10

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Just a couple bottom pair guys there , ho hum .
NHL fans figuring out new ways to blame everyone on their team without actually blaming anyone.

Our goaltenders just need more help, they're actually great.
Our dmen are actually great, they just have no help
Our forwards are actually great, they just have no help

Repeat cycle.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

Actually I think Barron could be an ace pickup for offensive team like Oilers. He has good shot, mobility and size.

Barron for Ceci and '26 first pick I think something like that.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Actually I think Barron could be an ace pickup for offensive team like Oilers. He has good shot, mobility and size.

Barron for Ceci and '26 first pick I think something like that.

I could be wrong but I do think Hughes is shooting higher than a 2nd rounder. I've seen this before many times. Habs fans and media create their own problems... we throw out names into trades and because the name is out there over and over again, their value goes down but that is internet value bud. It means nothing.

I agree. I do see Barron as a good fit for the Oilers. Probably fits well with Nurse (sort of). Watch the Oilers scramble when Emberson can't handle a top 4D role.

Isn't Ceci with the Sharks now?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Ceci plays for the Sharks.

Really shows how much your opinion is worth when you don’t even know what team a guy plays for. Good job.

The 2nd paragraph is why I dislike HF boards and talking in a open chat forum on the internet. You couldn't resist throwing insults.

So because someone didn't see the Ceci trade during the summer, they don't know trade values? That's your reasoning? Way too many of you have fallen to the bad apple in the bag. You see someone else do it and think you can as well. It's a very bad culture

Why couldn't you just say Ceci is with the Sharks now?

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
The 2nd paragraph is why I dislike HF boards and talking in a open chat forum on the internet. You couldn't resist throwing insults.

So because someone didn't see the Ceci trade during the summer, they don't know trade values? That's your reasoning? Way too many of you have fallen to the bad apple in the bag. You see someone else do it and think you can as well. It's a very bad culture

It’s not an insult, it’s the truth. If someone can’t take two minutes to have the basic simple facts about what they’re discussing then their opinion isn’t worth anything.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Just a couple bottom pair guys there , ho hum . One was a complete afterthought in a trade , the other some are expecting a 1 st round draft compensation . Doesn’t really add up
Oilers would have won the cup last year if they had traded for Savard. A solid right shot defensive guy on offensive team like that. Savard good shot blocker. He should fit like a glove

TheKrebsCycle

Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Defensive guru like him he's going to be worth a few goals saved in playoffs. Tampa paid big price for him but they got the cup.
He was a bottom pairing guy for them and contributed very little . They won with Luke Schenn in a similar role( and no one is paying a first or anywhere near it for him ) … It was seen as an overpay then and certainly would be now . His game had already slipped , and the slide has continued . Defensive guru lol . Give it a rest . Guy can block shots , you know why he blocks so many ? He never has the puck/ constantly behind the play .

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017

The funny thing is that the reason why everyne tries to sell their crap D to the Oilers for a first rounder is because the Ceci trade created a hole in the Oilers D. This entire thread is basically up because of the Ceci trade.

Oilers would have won the cup last year if they had traded for Savard. A solid right shot defensive guy on offensive team like that. Savard good shot blocker. He should fit like a glove
Yikes.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
I'm not even gonna question Savards worth being a 1st +. Habs fans on these boards always make the most outrageous valuations of their players at the deadline and somehow they are actually always f***ing right.
They thought Desmith was worth a 2nd, they wanted a 1st from the Pens to take on Petry, a 1st from EDM for Ceci. A 1st for Allen, a 1st Xhekaj. Other than that, 100% right.

TheKrebsCycle

Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
The funny thing is that the reason why everyne tries to sell their crap D to the Oilers for a first rounder is because the Ceci trade created a hole in the Oilers D. This entire thread is basically up because of the Ceci trade.

Yikes.
Furthermore potentially going from Ceci to Savard provides very few if any gains . Ceci is better than his reputation would suggest ( still not good of course but has played top 4 for several playoff teams ) while Savard is just the opposite . Ideally neither is part of your d core but maybe you can get away w one . And certainly not at the cost of a 1 st . Particularly at this juncture in the season . Even during the silly season that is the trade deadline I don’t see more than a 2 nd coming and even that to me is too steep for what he would provide . Ie replacement level play . I think GMs have learned from past mistakes of overpaying for these types of guys but maybe I’m giving them too much credit .

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

Sandin is a lot better than barron and showed a lot more…. I don’t see barron grabbing a 1st. Montreal is in a weird spot where barron prob won’t get a chance to show his value until he is moved tho.

Chances are he’s moved for a similar value prospect, or packaged for a better player.

I would like barron in Anaheim tbh, we’re kinda weak on the right side, but I think we’re just going to throw zell/lacombe on the right side and go from there

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014

Actually no, because Ceci was traded with a 3rd, not a 1st round pick. So he was pretty far off actually.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad