Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Figured the demand of playing time was just BS so McGroarty could force his way out of Winnipeg to a more attractive destination (pretty much anywhere else).

If he's actually insisting on an NHL spot in order to sign we should stay far away. Entitled is an understatement.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
I just want Braden Schenn
LOL. He has a $6.5 m cap hit and we have $3.6 m of projected cap space. Might as well say something like I want Connor McDavid.

Looks like it's the end of CapFriendly now at least for the service that once existed for the general public.

Last edited:

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
LOL. He has a $6.5 m cap hit and we have $3.6 m of projected cap space. Might as well say something like I want Connor McDavid.

Looks its the end of CapFriendly now at least for the service that once existed for the general public.

It only makes sense if Norris questionable and might be done as a top 6 forward and the Blues are willing to take that contract.

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
sounds like major character issues.

i mean if you know you so good that you deserve NHL playing time you should be able to go to the AHL dominate and be called up quickly?

like how he plays, not sure we should have him near our core though. they are entitled as isI could no
I could not agree more with this. This guy sounds like a poison and a room killer. I am quite sure Staois is quite in tune with this character and know to steer very far away. Dorion on the other hand would see it as a new shiny toy and destroy the dynamic of the room lol

Reactions: Agent Zub

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
Not really. Him and Shattenkirk. We need to stumble upon another Zub

On opening night of Zub's rookie season he wasn't in the lineup (or even on the active roster), despite impressing during training camp, because DJ insisted on playing the guys he knew - veterans Zaitsev and Gudbrannson, and his OHL favourite, Josh Brown.

We could go out and sign a vet like Shattenkirk, but the way you uncover another Zub is by giving a guy who's knocking on the door a chance. I'm comfortable going into the season with Guenette, Matinpolo and JBD fighting it out for the job, and Hamonic there for a bit of veteran insurance.

Reactions: Max Milk

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
On opening night of Zub's rookie season he wasn't in the lineup (or even on the active roster), despite impressing during training camp, because DJ insisted on playing the guys he knew - veterans Zaitsev and Gudbrannson, and his OHL favourite, Josh Brown.

We could go out and sign a vet like Shattenkirk, but the way you uncover another Zub is by giving a guy who's knocking on the door a chance. I'm comfortable going into the season with Guenette, Matinpolo and JBD fighting it out for the job, and Hamonic there for a bit of veteran insurance.
I'm not confident that's a good idea, especially when you have a raw rookie on the left side as it is, but...I don't see much of a choice.

And, if you listen to the people who hate green, he does the same as Smith.

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
I'm not confident that's a good idea, especially when you have a raw rookie on the left side as it is, but...I don't see much of a choice.

And, if you listen to the people who hate green, he does the same as Smith.

All the more reason to avoid another veteran who's trending towards "can't do it anymore" territory.

Realistically, we're going to see a fair bit of Kleven-Hamonic. It if it's me, I'm saving the 7th spot (for when Green concedes that they can't keep playing Hamonic) for whichever of Guenette, Matinpolo and JBD comes in and wins the job.

Last edited:

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
All the more reason to avoid another veteran who's trending towards "can't do it anymore" territory.

Realistically, we're going to see a fair bit of Kleven-Hamonic. It if it's me, I'm saving the 7th spot (for when Green concedes that they can't keep playing Hamonic) for whichever of Guenette, Matinpolo and JBD comes in and wins the job.
Perhaps. There'll be no way to know until the puck drops if Staios is comfortable with that or not. I wouldn't be personally - if only because I don't hold JBD in huge regard and we all see Hamonic on the massive decline (although injuries may have played a part in that last year].

For example, when inevitable injuries hit - Kleven might be able to move up and be ok with say, Zub, but if a righty top 4 goes down can JBD or Hamonic handle top 4 minutes? The answer seems to be no to me, but again, I guess we have to wait and see

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
sounds like major character issues.

i mean if you know you so good that you deserve NHL playing time you should be able to go to the AHL dominate and be called up quickly?

like how he plays, not sure we should have him near our core though. they are entitled as is.
The optics of this situation don't look good at the very least. There has been some speculation that McGroarty may have been given bad advice by his agent and this is the consequence of it.

Before the Sens signed Brady Tkachuk he was skating with the USNTDP and McGroarty was the captain of the team so Brady should be pretty familiar with him. Staios and Poulin should ask Brady what they think of Rutger's character and whether Brady could talk some sense into him if they acquired him. Staios and Poulin can also talk to Tyler Boucher who was his teammate and possibly Jake Sanderson and Tyler Kleven might have some familiarity with him as well. Sens management at least have some players in the organization who could probably give a good read on McGroarty's character.

If McGraorty's character can be properly vetted and the players that know him think he can be reasoned with then the Sens could take advantage of this situation to acquire him for a discounted price. If Tkachuk, Boucher, Sanderson and Kleven can't vouch for him then they really shouldn't attempt to acquire him.

Reactions: Crosside

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The optics of this situation don't look good at the very least. There has been some speculation that McGroarty may have been given bad advice by his agent and this is the consequence of it.

Before the Sens signed Brady Tkachuk he was skating with the USNTDP and McGroarty was the captain of the team so Brady should be pretty familiar with him. Staios and Poulin should ask Brady what they think of Rutger's character and whether Brady could talk some sense into him if they acquired him. Staios and Poulin can also talk to Tyler Boucher who was his teammate and possibly Jake Sanderson and Tyler Kleven might have some familiarity with him as well. Sens management at least have some players in the organization who could probably give a good read on McGroarty's character.

If McGraorty's character can be properly vetted and the players that know him think he can be reasoned with then the Sens could take advantage of this situation to acquire him for a discounted price. If Tkachuk, Boucher, Sanderson and Kleven can't vouch for him then they really shouldn't attempt to acquire him.
If a deal fell through with Minnesota because the prospect they wanted was available at their pick, then I suspect the price is higher than I'd be willing to pay. They took Biuim at 12oa, and while McGroarty might be worth that (idk that I'd go that high myself), we don't have anything expendable we could offer to compare imo.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
If a deal fell through with Minnesota because the prospect they wanted was available at their pick, then I suspect the price is higher than I'd be willing to pay. They took Biuim at 12oa, and while McGroarty might be worth that (idk that I'd go that high myself), we don't have anything expendable we could offer to compare imo.
I am assuming that the price will drop now that it is being reported that teams are backing off. What is reported is that McGroarty's camp wants a clear path to the NHL or possibly even a guaranteed role. Earlier speculation was that this was potentially just posturing to get traded but now it seems like his camp is seeking that from any team he gets traded to.

Given the fact that he is still unsigned and playing in the NCAA he can technically use the same pressure tactics on any team that acquires him and threaten to walk as a UFA once his NCAA career is done if he doesn't get what he wants.

Any team looking to acquire him now would need to consider that fact and question whether McGroarty has character issues and is going to be a headache to deal with or whether he has just got bad advice from his agent and now suffered the consequences of a reputation hit from it.

That is why I said that if the Sens can vet his character through players like Tkachuk, Boucher, Sanderson and Kleven, then they could take advantage of the market perception of him and try to acquire him at a discounted rate. If his character can't be sufficiently vetted then they should avoid making any offers to the Jets for him.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
I am assuming that the price will drop now that it is being reported that teams are backing off. What is reported is that McGroarty's camp wants a clear path to the NHL or possibly even a guaranteed role. Earlier speculation was that this was potentially just posturing to get traded but now it seems like his camp is seeking that from any team he gets traded to.

Given the fact that he is still unsigned and playing in the NCAA he can technically use the same pressure tactics on any team that acquires him and threaten to walk as a UFA once his NCAA career is done if he doesn't get what he wants.

Any team looking to acquire him now would need to consider that fact and question whether McGroarty has character issues and is going to be a headache to deal with or whether he has just got bad advice from his agent and now suffered the consequences of a reputation hit from it.

That is why I said that if the Sens can vet his character through players like Tkachuk, Boucher, Sanderson and Kleven, then they could take advantage of the market perception of him and try to acquire him at a discounted rate. If his character can't be sufficiently vetted then they should avoid making any offers to the Jets for him.
The problem is you can be pretty entitled and still well-liked. I don’t know how relevant a player reference is in this instance, McGroarty might be perfectly fine as a teammate and still have demands that end up causing us issues if things don’t go as planned.

Reactions: RAFI BOMB

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
I thought I’d ask for clarification on this.

Are you saying that the prospect that Winnipeg wanted was available at Minnesota’s 12th overall pick? I’m assuming that these trade talks between Minnesota and Winnipeg were occurring before the draft then, correct?

If that (per above) scenario is correct, yes I don’t see what prospect we’d offer that Winnipeg would find interesting.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I thought I’d ask for clarification on this.

Are you saying that the prospect that Winnipeg wanted was available at Minnesota’s 12th overall pick? I’m assuming that these trade talks between Minnesota and Winnipeg were occurring before the draft then, correct?

If that (per above) scenario is correct, yes I don’t see what prospect we’d offer that Winnipeg would find interesting.
See post 14561, apparently Minnesota plus two other teams had deals fall through in the first round, it's in the video

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Winnipeg had pick #37. If it was going to be 13 for McGroarty, I wonder if 37 would have gone back to Minnesota. I get McGroarty was picked high, but given the context of the trade I don't think they would get full value.

This is going to turn out similar to when we could have had 11th overall for Spezza. Just because one team put high value on the board, doesn't mean other teams will if the player vetoes trade destinations. In this case, he is vetoing them not by a NTC, but by imposing road blocks (a guaranteed role in the NHL) on signing with teams acquiring him.

I don't think he is as entitled as people are making it out as. At the end of the day, this is a business and he has leverage to negotiate for those things. You have to remember that it's not just about a willingness to work hard, he is basically negotiating for a possible 7+ figure difference in pay vs going to the AHL. I get being bummed out if you're a Winnipeg fan because they invested a high pick in him and they aren't getting that back, but I have nothing against players using their leverage the same way I have nothing against a team using their leverage, like last year when we told Pinto to take a cheap contract because he screwed himself with the gambling and otherwise was a 10.2(c).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad