Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
I'm assuming Colin White.

I just noticed that he played 28 games last year and didn't record a single point. This is a guy who once put up 41 points (playing next to Stone but still). Something ain't right there and though I liked the guy when he was here I wouldn't even give him a two-way at this point. Something has gone very wrong in his career.

That one outlier season aside, his career reminds me a lot of Curtis Lazar. Mid teens pick by that same Sens scouting staff. Both offensive players coming up, but once they got to the NHL level their lack of puck skills was exposed and their games imploded. Like Lazar, I could see White eventually establishing himself in a 4th line checking role if he can stick with it. Like Lazar, he's big enough, he skates well enough, and he's a good character guy.

Reactions: bert

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
That one outlier season aside, his career reminds me a lot of Curtis Lazar. Mid teens pick by that same Sens scouting staff. Both offensive players coming up, but once they got to the NHL level their lack of puck skills was exposed and their games imploded. Like Lazar, I could see White eventually establishing himself in a 4th line checking role if he can stick with it. Like Lazar, he's big enough, he skates well enough, and he's a good character guy.
Both guys boosted by Stone. Zack Smith another guy. We should have used the Stone effect to trade these players, instead we signed them ourselves and we traded Stone...

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Both guys boosted by Stone. Zack Smith another guy. We should have used the Stone effect to trade these players, instead we signed them ourselves and we traded Stone...
So many players we had the chance to sell high on. Where we should have known who they were but we just ended up fooling ourselves

Reactions: DrEasy

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
Sounds like the overhaul on the development side could be happening shortly per Martian/LOSP. Hinted it could include someone from the CiH podcast. Possibly Yorkie? Simmer?
Nope and nope for those two.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Are we just hiring people that cover the sens lol.

Is this the same position that Winchester and Donovan had?
Seems a bit strange. Not a huge fan of Jason York but seems like a good guy at least.
The hires are getting progressively less impressive, for me anyway. Won’t judge to early though.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Player development staff is always filled with guys who played, like others have said.

York has had a 20+ year hockey career, knows what he's doing and talking about, has been involved with developing junior aged kids on and off for the past decade, from the city, and has family ties in the organization.

Not a surprising hire, and one that fits

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Player development staff is always filled with guys who played, like others have said.

York has had a 20+ year hockey career, knows what he's doing and talking about, has been involved with developing junior aged kids on and off for the past decade, from the city, and has family ties in the organization.

Unlike Redden, he lives in the city, so that seems like a plus.

Reactions: gab6511 and BigRig4

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa

First NHL game in 1992-93, last NHL game in 2006-07. How is that a 20+ year career? Also, he's been out of the NHL for 17 years now. I mean he's a smart guy (even beyond that incredibly irritating nickname Wallace gives him) but he's not exactly relevant to the modern NHLer.

• Wow

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
First NHL game in 1992-93, last NHL game in 2006-07. How is that a 20+ year career? Also, he's been out of the NHL for 17 years now. I mean he's a smart guy (even beyond that incredibly irritating nickname Wallace gives him) but he's not exactly relevant to the modern NHLer.
Well he did broadcasting in the NHL, then coached at the junior level. Not like he hasn’t been involved.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
BondraTime said hockey career, not NHL, which is basically accurate if you include his OHL and AHL years.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
5 years Major Junior
3 years AHL
11 years NHL
2 years Switzerland

5 years coaching/GM of Junior A

He's had well over 20 years involed in hockey

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
BondraTime said hockey career, not NHL, which is basically accurate if you include his OHL and AHL years.
Ah yes, the same meaning we've always had when talking about a player's career.

I mean if you really think about it, his "career" could extend back to the first time he skated. You know? And if he's still skating in a beer league these days, we could extend his career to that time too. So, Jason York is bringing somewhere around 50 years of career experience in hockey to the role. Really, it's one of those things that makes sense when you think about it and also makes sense when you don't think about it.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
They got the donuts? Excellent....

I mean if you really think about it, his "career" could extend back to the first time he skated. You know? And if he's still skating in a beer league these days, we could extend his career to that time too. So, Jason York is bringing somewhere around 50 years of career experience in hockey to the role. Really, it's one of those things that makes sense when you think about it and also makes sense when you don't think about it.

Why are you being so pedantic about this?

A career is what you've done to make a living. Playing beer league hockey doesn't count. Nor does tying up your skate laces for the first time.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon

Just pointing out the distinction of the claim that you were disputing. Agree or disagree, their statement was correct is all. As to the merit of the hire, I like what I hear from York but couldn't possibly weigh in on his fit for the position.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018

York played hockey for over 20 years at a level that maybe .1% of athletes ever reach. Wtf are you talking about.

Ad

Ad

Ad