Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
I know crossride is just stirring the soup, but it does make sense for Vegas. Whitecloud is redundant and it could get them compliant with a 21 player roster without having to go into LTI, so they could bank cap space. We would be compliant with a 21 player roster.

On paper, it makes sense. I don't think Whitecloud would have a lot of value or be easy to move. So JBD having no value is irrelevant.

Also, we never should have traded Bob Kudelski.

Beech

Nov 25, 2020
I know crossride is just stirring the soup, but it does make sense for Vegas. Whitecloud is redundant and it could get them compliant with a 21 player roster without having to go into LTI, so they could bank cap space. We would be compliant with a 21 player roster.

On paper, it makes sense. I don't think Whitecloud would have a lot of value or be easy to move. So JBD having no value is irrelevant.

you got way too much time on your hands

Loach

Jun 9, 2021

Didn't Whitecloud and Chabot work at the worlds? Bob "f***n" Kudelski! Bravo sir!

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Not sure I'd want to add Whitecloud, he's a 6/7 at close to 3 million for another 4 years

Better than JBD surely, but not a meaningful difference where we would be happy adding 2 million to the cap for the next 4 years

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
Not sure I'd want to add Whitecloud, he's a 6/7 at close to 3 million for another 4 years

Better than JBD surely, but not a meaningful difference where we would be happy adding 2 million to the cap for the next 4 years
Thanks. I didn't know the contract.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

I mean, he played 18:40 a night on a SC winning teams playoff run,

There's certainly some risk with the contract, but he's got the potential to be a good value contract.

To me, the bigger issue is I don't think we can make the cap work, we just don't have the space.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019

There's certainly some risk with the contract, but he's got the potential to be a good value contract.

To me, the bigger issue is I don't think we can make the cap work, we just don't have the space.
Yep, only $1.9 m of cap space with 21 players under contract apparently.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

He’s a bottom pairing/pressbox guy, like he was for them this year in the regular season and playoffs, they were terrified to have him out there in this years playoffs.

We can grab him and hope for him to become that guy, but it’s very likely he’d be an expensive player you could replace a guy like JBD and not miss much.

He got incredibly overrated from January 2022 through the 2022-23 playoffs.

We definitely can’t make the cap work, and adding a ~3 million dollar bottom of the lineup type player would be absolutely horrible for the Sens

He's likely to be out of the lineup a lot this year with Pietrangelo, Theodore and Korzcak signed to 1 way deals, he could potentially find himself on waivers, a guy who is out of the lineup a lot that's got a cap of 2.75 isn't appealing to a team like Vegas

McCrimmon has already stated that Korzcak will be a regular this coming season, barring a Theodore trade which is very possible, Whitecloud is just going to be an expensive pressbox/bottom pair guy, and if you're forced to play him in your top 4, I don't think you're very happy

Last edited:

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011

Yup. He's better than JBD but I'd prefer to just have the cap flexibility of being able to move on from Bernard-Docker after this year if he doesn't up his game.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
He’s a bottom pairing/pressbox guy, like he was for them this year in the regular season and playoffs, they were terrified to have him out there in this years playoffs.

We can grab him and hope for him to become that guy, but it’s very likely he’d be an expensive player you could replace a guy like JBD and not miss much.

We definitely can’t make the cap work, and adding a ~million dollar bottom of the lineup type player would be absolutely horrible for the Sens

The cap works but we would have to roll with a 21 player roster, which is far from ideal.

Puckpedia has us at 1.9M with 21 players, JBD out brings that up to 2.7M. So we'd have to find less than 50k somewhere by swapping a depth player for one who makes a bit less.

It makes more sense if it turns out that Hamonic will go on LTIR and won't be ready to start the season. It's still doable without that, it just requires some fiddling.

I don't think it makes sense to take that contract. So I agree with you there.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Whitecloud has been an excellent bottom pairing D for years. Wasn't as good in 23/24 as previous years, but 2.75M looked like a bargain for him before last season.

Only reason he hasn't played higher up in the lineup is because Vegas had the best D in the league, so it's a dumb criticism.

Having solid defensive D like Whitecloud on their bottom pair is part of why Vegas was able to win a cup without having elite offensive gamebreakers.

I was all for trading for him, but now we don't have the cap space and there's little reason for Vegas to trade him unless they are getting a good forward in return, which we don't have.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
The cap works but we would have to roll with a 21 player roster, which is far from ideal.

Puckpedia has us at 1.9M with 21 players, JBD out brings that up to 2.7M. So we'd have to find less than 50k somewhere by swapping a depth player for one who makes a bit less.

It makes more sense if it turns out that Hamonic will go on LTIR and won't be ready to start the season. It's still doable without that, it just requires some fiddling.

I don't think it makes sense to take that contract. So I agree with you there.
Agreed, he's not very good, especially with that contract

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I hated the trade the day it happened so not hindsight on my part. Had the same dislike when we signed Matt Murray. Was fading fast in Pittsburgh once Fleury went to Vegas. Some moves speak for themselves.

But who knows if he wouldn't have accepted less if Hossa was still in the line-up? That core wanted to win.
Web do know what he did do. The rest is conjecture.

If not for George Kennedy intervening when we tried to keep Sprague Cleghorn, Tommy Gorman would not have backed out from purchasing Frank Ahearn's share of the team, and they would have stayed at the Ottawa Auditorium well into the 1930s.
So, you are really old with a mind of a steel trap!

Beech

Nov 25, 2020
@BondraTime

what was the buzz around the 2018 draft and K'Andre Miller versus JBD?

The Sens gave up the #22 pick, to slide down 4 spots and to get a 2nd round pick, which is Johnny Tyc.

As of now, Miller is the 5th best D man of that class. And is a rock solid 2nd pair guy. JBD is a 6/7 Dman. And as of now, at best the 15th or so best D man of that class.

Was it just the Left shot versus right shot issue?

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
@BondraTime

The Sens gave up the #22 pick, to slide down 4 spots and to get a 2nd round pick, which is Johnny Tyc.

As of now, Miller is the 5th best D man of that class. And is a rock solid 2nd pair guy. JBD is a 6/7 Dman. And as of now, at best the 15th or so best D man of that class.

It was Dorion and his scouting staff!

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
@BondraTime

I am actually curious, who are your top 4 d above him?

I assume dahlin Hughes Bouchard and Dobson?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

We definitely can’t make the cap work, and adding a ~3 million dollar bottom of the lineup type player would be absolutely horrible for the Sens

He's likely to be out of the lineup a lot this year with Pietrangelo, Theodore and Korzcak signed to 1 way deals, he could potentially find himself on waivers, a guy who is out of the lineup a lot that's got a cap of 2.75 isn't appealing to a team like Vegas

McCrimmon has already stated that Korzcak will be a regular this coming season, barring a Theodore trade which is very possible, Whitecloud is just going to be an expensive pressbox/bottom pair guy, and if you're forced to play him in your top 4, I don't think you're very happy
I mean, he still played 17 mins a night in the playoffs, for a team with as good a top 4 as Vegas has, if they were actually scared to put him out there, they could have shortened the bench more. For comparison, Florida shortened the bench giving Kulikov 13 mins a night, Dallas gave Lundqvist 4 mins a night and Petrovic 12,
@BondraTime

Miller was seen as a more high risk high reward pick as I recall. Seen as a bit of a project.

He was the guy I wanted that draft, then we traded back... Oh well.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
@BondraTime

I have no clue if it was a left shot vs. right shot, I would assume they just had JBD higher on thier list, but I haved absolutely no clue one way or the other.

They in all likelyhood fell in love with him at the World Junior A tournament in Truro, so it was right in the wheelhouse of Mann and co in the Maritimes, and the Sens love Junior A in Canada.

They took 3 guys from Team West at that tournament in Truro in the 2018 draft in JBD, Tychonik and Crookshank.

It's my belief they became fixated from that tournament.

I mean, he still played 17 mins a night in the playoffs, for a team with as good a top 4 as Vegas has, if they were actually scared to put him out there, they could have shortened the bench more. For comparison, Florida shortened the bench giving Kulikov 13 mins a night, Dallas gave Lundqvist 4 mins a night and Petrovic 12,

Miller was seen as a more high risk high reward pick as I recall. Seen as a bit of a project.

He was the guy I wanted that draft, then we traded back... Oh well.
He played 15 mins a night in the playoffs, 13 a few times; only game he reached 17 was the one that went to 17 minutes of an OT, and he was also a healthy scratch for Ben Hutton, another guy they never wanted to play, in game 5.

Yeah, those guys are also bottom pairing/pressbox players you don't want out there. Petrovic was out of the league for 4 years until injuries forced him into Dallas' lineup, he has 1 regular season game from 2019-2024, and Lundqvist will be on waivers in no time.

Last edited:

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Just read this interesting article on tax differences between Canadian teams and USA teams.

They have a lot of things right, in the article, but some are wrong.
As pointed out Tavares was in Canada for more than a 183 days that year. That’s why he was denied the signing bonus tax discount.

The tax calculation is wrong, they make it sound like he only pays NY state taxes.
He pays taxes in all 32 tax jurisdictions in league. So probably paying taxes in 20+ states and provinces.
So players get the no tax state allowance in the states that have it, when games are played there.

Reactions: Joeyjoejoe

Beech

Nov 25, 2020
I am actually curious, who are your top 4 d above him?

I assume dahlin Hughes Bouchard and Dobson?
yup

Dahlin is the best all around, while having an offensive edge
Dobson is the second best all around, while having an offensive edge

Hughes is the best offensive defenseman, with low defensive expectations
Bouchard is the second best offensive defenseman, with low/mid defensive expectations

Miller is the best all around, while having a defensive edge

Durzi floats in between.

1) Hughes
2) Dahlin
3) Bouchard
4) Dobson
5) Miller
6) Duruzi

then a drop off.. the 2018 draft is 6 dmen deep

Reactions: Guy Tetreault

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
yup

Dahlin is the best all around, while having an offensive edge
Dobson is the second best all around, while having an offensive edge

Hughes is the best offensive defenseman, with low defensive expectations
Bouchard is the second best offensive defenseman, with low/mid defensive expectations

Miller is the best all around, while having a defensive edge

Durzi floats in between.

1) Hughes
2) Dahlin
3) Bouchard
4) Dobson
5) Miller
6) Duruzi

then a drop off.. the 2018 draft is 6 dmen deep
I feel dahlins defensive game is overrated af same goes for Dobson. Hughes has been better defensively than both imho.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad