Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
@BondraTime

what was the buzz around the 2018 draft and K'Andre Miller versus JBD?

The Sens gave up the #22 pick, to slide down 4 spots and to get a 2nd round pick, which is Johnny Tyc.

As of now, Miller is the 5th best D man of that class. And is a rock solid 2nd pair guy. JBD is a 6/7 Dman. And as of now, at best the 15th or so best D man of that class.

Was it just the Left shot versus right shot issue?

They needed to rebuild the prospect pool, so they traded down to accrue picks.

Dorion apparently wanted to trade down again from the JBD pick, but Mann and/or the scouting staff insisted he use the pick on JBD because trading down again would not guarantee that one of their targets around that spot would still be on the board.

The value for the trade down was good value if I recall. That likely means that the Rangers had Miller high on their board. It just happens that the picks didn't work out.

Beech

Nov 25, 2020
I feel dahlins defensive game is overrated af same goes for Dobson. Hughes has been better defensively than both imho.
If Hughes was 6' 1" or taller, yea. But at 5' 10". He does tend to be shielded. And so, if asked to play a full 82 game season in physical battles. I doubt he holds up. Skill is one thing, playing defense in the NHL is another. Size, tenacity, roughness, are all huge and part of the picture. I still have him as my #1 overall D, but would drop him to 3 or 4 if this list was just based upon Defensive play.

Dobson is good enough... for me.. No, he is not Nick Lindstrom. In fact none are.

Dahlin is on Buffalo. Until Buffalo improves, it becomes difficult to truly asses him. Again, he is not Nick Lindstrom. Or Heddman. But I would trust him most of that group, to play defense, all the while contributing offense.

Bouchard.. it helps being in Edmonton. But offensive skill is still unique and he has to be given his due. A dman capable of 50 plus points is still worth gold.

Look at the 1 through 6 list. You can flip 3 and 4 and I have no argument.

Beech

Nov 25, 2020

Dorion apparently wanted to trade down again from the JBD pick, but Mann and/or the scouting staff insisted he use the pick on JBD because trading down again would not guarantee that one of their targets around that spot would still be on the board.

The value for the trade down was good value if I recall. That likely means that the Rangers had Miller high on their board. It just happens that the picks didn't work out.
a dangerous way to operate.

When you jump, you risk landing in a hole and not on a perch. I have learned that the hard way. Job jumping. From heaven to hell.

They vacated a spot and a pick that materialized into a solid player. All the while, they fell into a hole that produced nothing.

I would have felt more comfortable in a view point that: JBD was our target. We realized we can get him and acquire an added pick. But not the reverse.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

POOR scouting coupled with poor management.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Yep, only $1.9 m of cap space with 21 players under contract apparently.

I looked at CAPWAGES and wonder what the H they are thinking by including Filip Roos as the 7th D and Hayden Hodges and Adam Gaudette as the 12th and 13th Fs (both have 2-way contracts).

Then they say we have 21/23 players on the roster and include Norris's AAV in the cap $$ amount but not as a player roster count.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Whitecloud has been an excellent bottom pairing D for years. Wasn't as good in 23/24 as previous years, but 2.75M looked like a bargain for him before last season.

Only reason he hasn't played higher up in the lineup is because Vegas had the best D in the league, so it's a dumb criticism.

Having solid defensive D like Whitecloud on their bottom pair is part of why Vegas was able to win a cup without having elite offensive gamebreakers.

I was all for trading for him, but now we don't have the cap space and there's little reason for Vegas to trade him unless they are getting a good forward in return, which we don't have.
Pretty much this.

Whitecloud would be an upgrade on our 3rd pairing and still has potential to up his game and become a solid 2nd pairing guy if Jensen goes down.

He stays out of the penalty box, can hit, block shots, and move the puck out of our zone. He won't be scoring more than 20pts, but let's get a guy who does all the small things right on the 3rd pairing instead of old man Hamonic, rookie Kleven, or absolutely vanilla JBD.

Can't have him though unless someone like Hamonic waives to go to Vegas

I assume dahlin Hughes Bouchard and Dobson?
One of those names doesn't belong there.

Bouchard struggles to hit 40 points on any other team than EDM.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Pretty much this.

Whitecloud would be an upgrade on our 3rd pairing and still has potential to up his game and become a solid 2nd pairing guy if Jensen goes down.

He stays out of the penalty box, can hit, block shots, and move the puck out of our zone. He won't be scoring more than 20pts, but let's get a guy who does all the small things right on the 3rd pairing instead of old man Hamonic, rookie Kleven, or absolutely vanilla JBD.

Can't have him though unless someone like Hamonic waives to go to Vegas

One of those names doesn't belong there.

Bouchard struggles to hit 40 points on any other team than EDM.
i dont think he would struggle, i think if he gets the same minutes as he did this past year he probably ends up with 50-55 points but struggle more defensively since he wont be playing with two solo breakout stars (mcdavid and draisaitl)

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
JBD just turned 24 and as mentioned, has played just over 100 games in the NHL.
For me, he reminds me of Demelo. Not at all flashy, just an all-around solid game.
I think that it would be a mistake for us to give up on this player, just like we did with Demelo.

JBD has yet to show that he has any of DeMelo’s hockey sense, awareness or poise.

JBD always plays the game like it’s his first game in the league. He looks nervous with the puck, lost in coverage and plays it safe. Complete opposite of DeMelo.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
JBD has yet to show that he has any of DeMelo’s hockey sense, awareness or poise.

JBD always plays the game like it’s his first game in the league. He looks nervous with the puck, lost in coverage and plays it safe. Complete opposite of DeMelo.

He’s also less mobile/agile.

For a smaller guy JBD has surprisingly heavy boots.

Reactions: Joeyjoejoe

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton

Agreed, but I think he has the tools in the box, just has to put them on together. There's moments where he will use his positioning effectively, toss a nice strategic hit, get the puck on net, or just read plays but rarely is it happening for 3 periods of hockey.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Demelo at the same age wasn't really any better. Not saying JBD will be as good but Demelo struggled when he was a young d man. Disagree with your second paragraph. He's very strong at Defenisve reads. One of the few players that has the hockey sense to hold the blue line or read the play to initiate contact. He came across to the other side several times last year forcing a turnover.

D men take longer to develop. To me he just has to get stronger and I think he's a fine bottom pair d man. He's good at getting in lanes just lacks the physical tools to be a real shut down d man.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Bouchard on any other team isn’t in the conversation, is in the best situation for an offensive D in the past 30 years.
I think Bouchard would have done well onseveral teams such as Pitt, Tor, Flor or Colorado? He's clearly in a good position in Edm, but let's not forget that he was also a pt producer in junior & would have helped several NHL teams offensively, it's his defensive side that needs work. Even Ott could have used him on their right side as well as teams needing more offensive production from their right side.
Demelo at the same age wasn't really any better. Not saying JBD will be as good but Demelo struggled when he was a young d man. Disagree with your second paragraph. He's very strong at Defenisve reads. One of the few players that has the hockey sense to hold the blue line or read the play to initiate contact. He came across to the other side several times last year forcing a turnover.

D men take longer to develop. To me he just has to get stronger and I think he's a fine bottom pair d man. He's good at getting in lanes just lacks the physical tools to be a real shut down d man.
JBD also led the Sens in blocked shots, the more shots blocked the less chances that those shots end up in the net. I saw a lot of growth over the season with him & agree as he learns the game, matures & grows stronger should continue to improve.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Sounds like the overhaul on the development side could be happening shortly per Martian/LOSP. Hinted it could include someone from the CiH podcast. Possibly Yorkie? Simmer?

It's not surprising, given that the podcast has been featuring prominent figures from the organization for interviews all summer. They seem have been given a lot of access recently.

Reactions: BigRig4

Samboni

Jan 26, 2014
I was reading an article on the Hockey News site and it mentioned that Colin might not get any offers. What would you think about bringing him in on a PTO? I’m not an advocate but am throwing it out there for discussion.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I was reading an article on the Hockey News site and it mentioned that Colin might not get any offers. What would you think about bringing him in on a PTO? I’m not an advocate but am throwing it out there for discussion.
Colin who?

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

Not the brightest GM!

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Colin who?

I'm assuming Colin White.

I just noticed that he played 28 games last year and didn't record a single point. This is a guy who once put up 41 points (playing next to Stone but still). Something ain't right there and though I liked the guy when he was here I wouldn't even give him a two-way at this point. Something has gone very wrong in his career.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad