OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Sneaking up onto training camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
1725839226318.png

2a5662a25de3a724f5ac08965d275233.gif

Rave7215

Mar 12, 2010
Hopefully Atlanta gets a TD and the second guessing can begin lol
Andy. You have been such a mainstay poster but lately you have been such a sour apple about everything. Now actively rooting for the teams to fail? Sorry bud but you've lost the plot. To the ignore list you go.

Good win today. Love seeing TJ continue to dominate. Maybe this year he will get his deserved second DPOY.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
The refs really put the screws to the Steelers today:
ATL OL was tackling Watt & Co., nothing called
Offsides that led to ATL's only TD was obvious missed call.
PI on Pickens - "that never gets called" Greg Olson
Holding on Killebrew when ATL defender made beeline for Punter with no roughing... obtuse

Amazing with all of that, they still won by 8 on the road.

Note to Arthur Smith. Throwing on 1st down makes it easier for your qb........especially when their stacking the box with 8/9 defenders. WAKE UP

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
There can't be any other NFL team that plays and wins more games in the teens than the Steelers. That said, if not for a couple of horrendous calls, that game is a double-digit road win against a decent team - can't complain even if it wasn't perfect.

Given the back end of this schedule, really feels like they need to win at least 2 of the next 3 (Denver, LAC, Indy) and be no worse than 3-1 when they play Dallas.

Cincinnati wiped out my and probably most people's Survivor pools but it was nonetheless a hilarious result today.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
There can't be any other NFL team that plays and wins more games in the teens than the Steelers. That said, if not for a couple of horrendous calls, that game is a double-digit road win against a decent team - can't complain even if it wasn't perfect.

Given the back end of this schedule, really feels like they need to win at least 2 of the next 3 (Denver, LAC, Indy) and be no worse than 3-1 when they play Dallas.

Cincinnati wiped out my and probably most people's Survivor pools but it was nonetheless a hilarious result today.
Yeah I had us losing this game, but winning the next 3 to go to 3-1 before playing Dallas in my optimistic 9-8 season projection. We absolutely need to bank some wins early.

Denver looks terrible and I don't want to get ahead of myself given this teams propensity to lose "easy" games, but I'll be disappointed if we're not 2-0. The defense should give Nix nightmares.

Our game vs LAC is going to have like a 35 point over/under lol. Harbaugh is going to neuter Justin Herbert but they'll win more games this year.

Didn't really see much of the Colts game but they gave Houston a tough game by the looks of the box score.

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
Yeah I had us losing this game, but winning the next 3 to go to 3-1 before playing Dallas in my optimistic 9-8 season projection. We absolutely need to bank some wins early.

Denver looks terrible and I don't want to get ahead of myself given this teams propensity to lose "easy" games, but I'll be disappointed if we're not 2-0. The defense should give Nix nightmares.

Our game vs LAC is going to have like a 35 point over/under lol. Harbaugh is going to neuter Justin Herbert but they'll win more games this year.

Didn't really see much of the Colts game but they gave Houston a tough game by the looks of the box score.
I had Red Zone Channel on my iPad so I saw bits and pieces of the Colts game. Was a quality game but Richardson missed a lot of throws and also hit some big plays down the field - he's a wild card. I do like the fact they basically get 2 rookie QB's the next 3 weeks, something this D generally fares well against.

New OC, new QB, but...

Reactions: WickedWrister

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I had Red Zone Channel on my iPad so I saw bits and pieces of the Colts game. Was a quality game but Richardson missed a lot of throws and also hit some big plays down the field - he's a wild card. I do like the fact they basically get 2 rookie QB's the next 3 weeks, something this D generally fares well against.

New OC, new QB, but...

It has to be Tomlin—he’s probably telling everyone it’s too risky to throw in the middle of the field, that and he probably has stock in a defibrillator company…

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
I just saw the play where he slipped and threw a 70 yard dime to Pierce lol. Caught more of the Denver game.

The Ben game was his final home game against Cleveland 24/46 for 123 yards :laugh:, Najee had 188 rushing yards.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
It has to be Tomlin—he’s probably telling everyone it’s too risky to throw in the middle of the field, that and he probably has stock in a defibrillator company…
It was basically the same offense as last year plus Fields legs.

The only time in 4 years it hasn't looked like the same offense was when Rudolph started.

Reactions: Andy99

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
Yeah Nix was a mess. Seattle dropped about 3 picks in what portions of play I saw. Playing at home instead of a tough road stadium will help him, and God I can't recall the last time the Steelers won in Denver (was it the AFCC in 2005?), but it's a game they really should win.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Yeah Nix was a mess. Seattle dropped about 3 picks in what portions of play I saw. Playing at home instead of a tough road stadium will help him, and God I can't recall the last time the Steelers won in Denver (was it the AFCC in 2005?), but it's a game they really should win.
Hard place to play in Denver with the thin air …Tomlin hates to go early to acclimate too so the D is often gassed in the fourth quarter…we really should win that game though and the Raiders game too, but we also suck playing them on the road lol

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
It was basically the same offense as last year plus Fields legs.

The only time in 4 years it hasn't looked like the same offense was when Rudolph started.
No it wasn’t the same offense but they only completed 17 passes and 10 went to Muth and Gp. Unless they are going to do some seem to the te teams will just play zone to limit Fields running ability and RW doesn’t use the middle of the field

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019

They will be 5-2 heading to the bye

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Think it’s clear Smith is major upgrade over Canada. He may not be a top 16 OC in the league either :laugh:

That performance did not leave me feeling rosy about Fields ever being a true QB1 but I also didn’t think he was bad at all.

Fields and Smith were middling IMO, but both are upgrades on last year and it was refreshing to move the ball some and have NFL caliber OC and QB.

I loved the third down play call - screen out to Jefferson - right before the failed 4th and 1. Issue was both receivers didn't block. Pickens likely because he has zero drive to block for others and Austin because hes 5'5". Still thought he could have gotten the first despite all that. There was no need to rush to the line afterwards. A good coach would have taken a TO to settle stuff down. TD there and game is over.

Agreed on Najee - liked how he ran for the most part.
Yeah agree and to add- thought Van was really weak through contact there. He had all momentum and was pretty much stopped in his tracks. Agree it was a decent call because you still basically had a 1v1 in space despite poor blocking.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Fields has to learn how to read a field. He also showed the same accuracy issues today.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
That performance did not leave me feeling rosy about Fields ever being a true QB1 but I also didn’t think he was bad at all.

Fields and Smith were middling IMO, but both are upgrades on last year and it was refreshing to move the ball some and have NFL caliber OC and QB.

I think it sums this up perfectly. Just based on today, I think Smith is a mediocre OC and Fields is just a high end backup, but a mediocre OC with a high end backup is still way better than what they had last year.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
This is comical. Entire offense from Boswell is just comically bad. I want to give the OC time for sure but this isn't exactly giving me confidence at all.

I think it sums this up perfectly. Just based on today, I think Smith is a mediocre OC and Fields is just a high end backup, but a mediocre OC with a high end backup is still way better than what they had last year.
This team should never have to even say that though. Hiring the idiots they did before Smith has long term damage that these Tomlin hype freaks keep ignoring.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
When I saw the offensive line today I just shook my head in disgust. They actually didn't do too bad. Frazier makes a massive difference. Cole was atrocious.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
- Defense was lights out. Only gift after gift from the refs (and Watt getting held every other play with no calls) kept this game close.
- Pickens is incredible. Truly gifted hands and compete level for contested catches.
- Fields was good enough. More deep passes and designed QB draws next game please.
- Bos is the new Boz!

Reactions: td_ice

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad