Cal Clutterbuck
Kevin Labanc
Pitlick brothers
Mikhail Abramov
Sammy Blais

Reactions: DrEasy

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
If a deal fell through with Minnesota because the prospect they wanted was available at their pick, then I suspect the price is higher than I'd be willing to pay. They took Biuim at 12oa, and while McGroarty might be worth that (idk that I'd go that high myself), we don't have anything expendable we could offer to compare imo.
We likely could have if we wanted to go that route with a trade down I mean the guy we picked was ranked outside the top 10 by McKenzie's scouts and several others. I agree with the premise proposed in the video that McGroarty's value has increased from his DY (14OA) .. given none of the push for a guaranteed roster spot .. if that is the case. Still a team that wants him and evaluates him highly enough to see him on the roster and can get an agreement that he'll sign .. they are getting a very good player with less risk than he had in his DY and less risk than many of the top 15 picks in this years draft.

If the wants a guaranteed spot talk is true .. I can see it turning off a lot of teams which should mean a knock in value .. but all it takes as one team to jump.
12 OA would not be far off the mark . I would rather him than the players picked at 7-9 , 11, 13,14,15... And I like a few of them. Not because I can't project a couple there to end up better but McGroarty needs less projection to know how he'll turn out

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
Free agents left that Ottawa should look into:

Shattenkirk
Calen Addison
Robert Bortuzzo
Justin Schultz

Nick Cousins
Jujhar Kaira
Tanner Pearson
Liam Foudy
Cal Clutterbuck
Kevin Labanc
Pitlick brothers
Mikhail Abramov
Sammy Blais
Foudy sign with Islanders

Reactions: coladin

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
We likely could have if we wanted to go that route with a trade down I mean the guy we picked was ranked outside the top 10 by McKenzie's scouts and several others. I agree with the premise proposed in the video that McGroarty's value has increased from his DY (14OA) .. given none of the push for a guaranteed roster spot .. if that is the case. Still a team that wants him and evaluates him highly enough to see him on the roster and can get an agreement that he'll sign .. they are getting a very good player with less risk than he had in his DY and less risk than many of the top 15 picks in this years draft.

If the wants a guaranteed spot talk is true .. I can see it turning off a lot of teams which should mean a knock in value .. but all it takes as one team to jump.
12 OA would not be far off the mark . I would rather him than the players picked at 7-9 , 11, 13,14,15... And I like a few of them. Not because I can't project a couple there to end up better but McGroarty needs less projection to know how he'll turn out
I agree with you in principle, I may not value him quite as high as you but once Buying was off the board I'd be happy swapping the pick for him in a vacuum.

That said, he isn't getting traded in a vacuum, just the fact that he's on the block before signing his ELC makes me wary, and makes me not willing to give full value. The risk switches from his development to things like is this guy going to want to fast tract his way to picking his destination the way DBC did to us.

I'm happy we kept our pick, we didn't grab the guy I wanted, but I still believe we got a very good prospect. In hindsight I wish we'd traded back, mostly because two of guys I thought would be gone and the other guy I expected to land ended up going 10-12th so there's a good chance I'd either have been thrilled with who we got either way.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

Shattenkirk
Calen Addison
Robert Bortuzzo
Justin Schultz

Nick Cousins
Jujhar Kaira
Tanner Pearson
Liam Foudy
Cal Clutterbuck
Kevin Labanc
Pitlick brothers
Mikhail Abramov
Sammy Blais
How much cap space do we have? Around 2 million?

I doubt we make any more moves.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
If we were prospect/asset rich I’d gamble on Mgroarty. A prospect a couple years along ready to on an ELC for 3 years for us right now would be pretty great.
Some team will bite for sure.

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
Apparently Montreal offer Mesar + 25 Panthers + Barron and Chevy said no. I doubt we can beat that

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
I agree with you in principle, I may not value him quite as high as you but once Buying was off the board I'd be happy swapping the pick for him in a vacuum.

That said, he isn't getting traded in a vacuum, just the fact that he's on the block before signing his ELC makes me wary, and makes me not willing to give full value. The risk switches from his development to things like is this guy going to want to fast tract his way to picking his destination the way DBC did to us.

I'm happy we kept our pick, we didn't grab the guy I wanted, but I still believe we got a very good prospect. In hindsight I wish we'd traded back, mostly because two of guys I thought would be gone and the other guy I expected to land ended up going 10-12th so there's a good chance I'd either have been thrilled with who we got either way.
Concur, except the DeBrincat comment. He didn’t do anything to us, he was traded for without us even talking to his camp, and was willing to play out his contract. I was excited to get him at the time, but I’m not a GM, and in hindsight it was an awful move by a bad GM trying to save his job in challenging circumstances (or just plain stupid, who knows)

Reactions: Hale The Villain

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Concur, except the DeBrincat comment. He didn’t do anything to us, he was traded for without us even talking to his camp, and was willing to play out his contract. I was excited to get him at the time, but I’m not a GM, and in hindsight it was an awful move by a bad GM trying to save his job in challenging circumstances (or just plain stupid, who knows)
I didn't mean to suggest he did us dirty, at the end of the day, it's his right, but I just suspect a guy having a contact dispute before signing his ELC, it increases the odds he'll be thinking about his future landing spots while still under contract here.

Reactions: Butchy Dakkar

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
No way Foudy was an FA. I remember during the Duchene trade some here thought he was an absolute stud

Apparently Montreal offer Mesar + 25 Panthers + Barron and Chevy said no. I doubt we can beat that
No we cannot. there is no path where we acquire McGroarty unless we get that 26 pick back

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012

Shattenkirk
Calen Addison
Robert Bortuzzo
Justin Schultz

Nick Cousins
Jujhar Kaira
Tanner Pearson
Liam Foudy
Cal Clutterbuck
Kevin Labanc
Pitlick brothers
Mikhail Abramov
Sammy Blais

Labanc and Shattenkirk would be clutch

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Just curious as to why you would think Blais would cost too much.
I am thinking that he would be a candidate for a 1-year deal at the $750k min.
Made $ 1million last year and figured he'd want the same lol

I think I made that post with more consideration of how much Schultz would make. He just came off a $3 million aav deal, and even with a pay cut because his last season was crap, he might look for a similar cap hit

Reactions: Good in Osgoode

Good in Osgoode

Jan 15, 2018
Osgoode
Made $ 1million last year and figured he'd want the same lol

I think I made that post with more consideration of how much Schultz would make. He just came off a $3 million aav deal, and even with a pay cut because his last season was crap, he might look for a similar cap hit
Yeah, that was my thinking as well. Likely that Schultz is going to be out of our range.
I think that we will look to fill the 4th line with internal options, which I think there are many potential candidates, namely Ostapchuk, Crookshank, Halliday, Gaudette & Jenik.

I think they still have another depth move coming on D but maybe that comes in Sept/Oct with waivers.

Reactions: bicboi64

Duncstar

Sep 1, 2017
Ottawa
Yeah, that was my thinking as well. Likely that Schultz is going to be out of our range.
I think that we will look to fill the 4th line with internal options, which I think there are many potential candidates, namely Ostapchuk, Crookshank, Halliday, Gaudette & Jenik.

I think they still have another depth move coming on D but maybe that comes in Sept/Oct with waivers.
Well the team was looking to move JBD and you have to think they still would if an affordable option was there to replace him. That's where your pickup should be and it'd be great if he could play both sides for injury security.

I'm not seeing many options that excite though so maintaining cap flexibility is critical right now.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Well the team was looking to move JBD and you have to think they still would if an affordable option was there to replace him. That's where your pickup should be and it'd be great if he could play both sides for injury security.

I'm not seeing many options that excite though so maintaining cap flexibility is critical right now.
There was an article from Garrioch just prior to the draft that said they were looking to move x, y, z, etc. and I think everyone of those guys is now gone other than JBD. Who knows if that was just speculation on BG's part, but I would not be at all surprised to still see JBD being replaced as the move left.

Reactions: Duncstar

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
There was an article from Garrioch just prior to the draft that said they were looking to move x, y, z, etc. and I think everyone of those guys is now gone other than JBD. Who knows if that was just speculation on BG's part, but I would not be at all surprised to still see JBD being replaced as the move left.
St. Louis has 9 dmen or something crazy on the roster.

Reactions: BonHoonLayneCornell

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
Actually....was the Joseph and a 3rd for futures a prelude to another deal with them?

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Are we really going to enter this season with JBD/Hamonic as the RDs + Kleven penciled into a spot with Roos/Davies being the next best LD behind him?

I don't really care if we add any depth at forward. We got a dozen guys who can play 4th line minutes without hurting the team much, if at all.

The D is a different story. Absolutely need to add another good depth D or two otherwise we're going to be in trouble.

Ruhwedel is still available? Damn I would take him for sure.

Just re-signed with the Rangers.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Are we really going to enter this season with JBD/Hamonic as the RDs + Kleven penciled into a spot with Roos/Davies being the next best LD behind him?

I don't really care if we add any depth at forward. We got a dozen guys who can play 4th line minutes without hurting the team much, if at all.

The D is a different story. Absolutely need to add another good depth D or two otherwise we're going to be in trouble.

Just re-signed with the Rangers.
Yep just saw that. Damn. He would hav been nice to play with kleven and also teach jbd a few things

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad