Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Obviously we replace those guys with cheaper options from our prospect pool. Ostapchuk can replace Kelly or Kastelic & maybe Halliday is ready for prime time after a good showing in Belleville to end last season.

Kleven obviously replaces Brannstrom & I expect when Hamonic's contract is done that Yakemchuk might be ready to step in & to replace him next season. And each of the guys I mentioned will be much harder to play against than the guys they are replacing.
I suspect Yak will take a few seasons before he is ready to play at the NHL level.

If we cannot trade Chychrun to get a top 4 RD, I still think we should try Sanderson at RD; he is smart, skilled and young enough to make the switch.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
I’m perfectly fine with the slow approach.

We were never getting Tanev, that was a hope and a dream.

I’m not too high on Marino so I’m probably a little biased saying I’m not upset about missing out on him.

I think all the guys the Sens actually had on the table are still there. They were never going to be in the hunt for Tanev, and likely not Roy either.

Who are those top-4 Ds who are realistic for us to acquire?

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I’m perfectly fine with the slow approach.

We were never getting Tanev, that was a hope and a dream.

I’m not too high on Marino so I’m probably a little biased saying I’m not upset about missing out on him.

I think all the guys the Sens actually had on the table are still there. They were never going to be in the hunt for Tanev, and likely not Roy either.

Agreed. Marino had a bad season, hence why he was on the block. He would've been a decent add if he bounced back but he also had some control with his NTC.

From the trades that happened so far I don't see anything realistic we could've done.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Obviously we replace those guys with cheaper options from our prospect pool. Ostapchuk can replace Kelly or Kastelic & maybe Halliday is ready for prime time after a good showing in Belleville to end last season.

Kleven obviously replaces Brannstrom & I expect when Hamonic's contract is done that Yakemchuk might be ready to step in & to replace him next season. And each of the guys I mentioned will be much harder to play against than the guys they are replacing.
Kastelic was traded, and your cheaper options eat up ~800k each time, the point is you don't have ~4 mil when you use up 2.4 mil for league min contracts.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Maybe Carrier? Don’t think anyone else is really top 4 worthy that’s available after Tanev and Roy.

Maybe we get our top 4 through trade but no idea who that would be.
Jensen or TVR from Washington. Both have a year left on their deals though. Maybe they can be had for a reasonable price.

Most definately a longshot (and risky), but Ekblad?

Montour is probably a UFA but I honestly think that could be a bad signing.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Who are those top-4 Ds who are realistic for us to acquire?
I don’t think they were in on, or going to get one of the top 4 lynchpins in Roy, Pesch or Tanev.

They are in the Carrier, Haakanpaa, Lybushkin territory. Carrier is the only one who is an actual top 4 D, the others are guys who would be thrust over their Head, though Haakanpaa would likely be fine for 1-2 years.

Those are the UFA guys we will be in on imo, and barring a trade for another guy, I’m not sure we’re going to get a big piece.

Maybe a guy like TVR type trade. Not ideal in any stretch

Carrier is best case, realistic scenario for me

Reactions: vandelay

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Kastelic was traded, and your cheaper options eat up ~800k each time, the point is you don't have ~4 mil when you use up 2.4 mil for league min contracts.
Brannstrom $2 mil - Kleven $.9 - difference $1.1
Kelly $1.1 mil - Ostapchuk $.8 - difference $.3
Kubalik $2.5 - Halliday $.9 - difference $1.6
Kastelic & Katchouk $1.5 - Nobody yet - $1.5 = $4.5 mil

Then they have Chychrun & Joseph at $7.550 mil to do something with. Korpisalo was $4 mil we kept $1 mil of that, Ullmark is $5 mil so we have $2 mil to make up. The Cap when up to $88 mil & we need to sign Pinto which should come in around $4 or $5. They can make it work with a RD like Schultz who made $3 mil last yr & is a UFA & given his age I don't expect him to be worth more. Carrier too if he will come here made $2.5 mil last yr & will likely get a raise. Maybe they get Matt Roy & maybe not.

Tkachuk - Stutzle - Giroux - $23
Norris - Pinto ($5)- Batherson - $18
??? - Greig - ??? - $1
Ostapchuk - Halliday - MacEwan - $2.5 = $44.5

Chabot - Zub - $12.6
Sanderson - UFA Schultz ($3) - $11
Klevn - Hamonic/JBD - $3 = $26.6

Ullmark - Forsberg - $7.750 = $78.850 leaves about $7 mil for two 3rd line forwards. Laughton & Johansen are exactly $7 mil & would fit on the 3rd line.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I don’t think they were in on, or going to get one of the top 4 lynchpins in Roy, Pesch or Tanev.

They are in the Carrier, Haakanpaa, Lybushkin territory. Carrier is the only one who is an actual top 4 D, the others are guys who would be thrust over their Head, though Haakanpaa would likely be fine for 1-2 years.

Those are the UFA guys we will be in on imo, and barring a trade for another guy, I’m not sure we’re going to get a big piece.

Maybe a guy like TVR type trade. Not ideal in any stretch

Carrier is best case, realistic scenario for me
I think Carrier and Haakanpaa would be a great haul.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I suspect Yak will take a few seasons before he is ready to play at the NHL level.

If we cannot trade Chychrun to get a top 4 RD, I still think we should try Sanderson at RD; he is smart, skilled and young enough to make the switch.
With Hamonic's contract ending after next season, Yakemchuk just might push for a his spot. He is an older birthday & I don't expect him to spend the next two seasons in junior. Who at RD in this org is going to be able to challenge him for Hamonic's spot?

Reactions: OttawaSenators11

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
Agreed. What else has he done?

Revamped the entire management staff, hired a new coach, replaced the head of pro scouting.
Clearly looking to jettison the deadweight.

and it isnt even July 1st yet.
It’s almost as if we don’t have a ton of assets with value to trade, and that players have NTCs’
You’re probably right though, panicking and dumping our 1 valuable asset for very little is the best option…you know to appease the fans.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad