Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I think Staios is scared to lose a trade and its gonna cost us eventually..
Ironically, it won’t cost us?
Haha, guy wins a trade by being patient and people still dont like it. Cant win around here I guess. Only trade I think he missed on was Marino so far. But they dont have the draft capital really do they... Not with the way Dorion handled this team the last 7 years.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I still think we're going to end up resorting to something like Chychrun and Joseph for Ekblad and a cheap bottom 6 forward. It just makes too much sense if we fail to get a RHD and the market for Chychrun doesn't materialize. It is going to be difficult for us to go into the season with Chychrun on the roster after he has been shopped for so long. It would be a distraction. I don't think there would be a big market for Ekblad because of his injuries, drop in play, and cap hit.

It's possible that he wouldn't waive his NTC if we are on it, but I could also see the possibility of Florida giving him the option of waivers or a trade destination that they can find.

Maybe I am completely off, and teams still value Ekblad highly.

In terms of cap space, while it is cap in/cap out, Florida fills two key rolls with that cap space instead of 1. Otherwise, I think we'd need a third party team to retain on Ekblad or to take Joseph.

I just think it's unlikely that Ekblad will agree to leave Florida and waive his NTC unless the team acquiring him is giving up a big extension to make it worth his while.

Didn't think we should do that prior to drafting a RD in Yakemchuk, and now it certainly should be off the table.

I think the more likely trade scenario is Chychrun for Jensen/TVR +. Caps get the better player and balance out their D, we accept a worse older player but get the defensive RD we need with an extra plus attached.

Not a home run but that's the kind of swap for a RD I'd be expecting if we can't sign a decent one in free agency.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Only Roy and Carrier left on FA market that can be a solid partner for Chabot

Tanev to TOR and Pesce to NJ basically done now.
I didn’t know about pesce to New Jersey.

Well it’s all in on Roy and move chychrun.

Option 2 is carrier and another cheap solid guy to simply support our two lefties.

Get to have kleven in the A for a little bit longer.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Staois finding out the GM game is hard work. As a rookie GM, im sure every other team is trying to screw you on deals. Hope he can improve this team.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
If Toronto signs Tanev, Ottawa needs to respond and trade for the rights to Matt Roy IMO.

Pesce to NJD seems imminent, and after that there's no viable options.
The reason why they traded for his rights was to offer him an 8 year deal (that will eventually get LTIR’d).

If we don’t feel like there’s a chance we’re getting Roy, I don’t think it’s worth it to trade for his rights.

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster
It's an odd scenario.

On one hand, I feel like we've all gotten used to big splashes from Dorion where we would bring in big name busts and guys that don't want to be here.

On the other hand, running back the same team will result in another basement finish.

I'm willing to be patient.

SensFanInMTL

Apr 25, 2020
What's incarcerated Bob's track record on rumours?

Apart from spitting chicklets, haven't heard any Brady rumours.

We must expected the unexpected. Whatever happens, let's not get fleeced in the event he has to be moved. Let's actually do the fleecing for once.

So Batherson not good enough for Robert Thomas from St. Louis?

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
Well he didn’t seem too scared when he fleeced Boston.

Haha, guy wins a trade by being patient and people still dont like it. Cant win around here I guess. Only trade I think he missed on was Marino so far. But they dont have the draft capital really do they... Not with the way Dorion handled this team the last 7 years.

Buying players is a lot different then clearing out the players you don't want to make room for players you do want..

It's very clear he doesn't want Joseph or Chychrun on the team. He has big ambitions and no cap space.

So yes. I think by not being able to sell those guys off at a price teams were willing to pay, is going to cost us guys in free agency and maybe even trade who we do actually want. This is not as controversial as people think it is.

Patience is risky.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Kelly is not worth $1.3 & Brannstrom isn't worth $2 mil, remains to be seen if Hamonic is worth $1.1 mil although most probably don't think so. That's $4.4 mil which is approaching what a RD might cost us.

Reactions: Relapsing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad