Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
I like Parker Kelly as a 12/13th forward who plays half the games but I’d like him better if he did what he does and was 3” taller and 20lbs heavier.
Hardworking guy but absolutely could not care less if if we lose him in UFA
League minimum/close to it or no thanks.

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
I get it. Spend the money on a more effective 4th liner, or open a spot for a Crookshank or someone else with a better future.

I think the message to our 3rd pair and 4th liners is... you are lucky to be in this league, you should play like it every shift of every game.

What bothers me about Kelly is that he brings it when he knows his job is on the line. He did it late in the preseason last year, when it was looking like he was getting passed by guys, and he did during the season after Jacques Martin arrived.

When he's fighting for his NHL life, he's a perfectly fine 4th liner on the league minimum. When he gets comfortable - and a guy with his abilities should never, ever play comfortable - he belongs in the AHL.

Yak

Jun 30, 2009
Los Angeles
www.androidheadlines.com
I called it last season that that fourth line needed to be blown up. It wasn't bringing any positive value to the team. It was a weak link on our team and was no longer producing Or trusted after DJ was gone. Kelly was just a body until someone filled his role. Replaceable. Fourth liner that no one should even be excited with him here and more excited with him gone. Time to move on. These are guys that are wasting roster spots and money on the cap. Even though they're small hits. It's still a hit for a guy who's not even fulfilling his role. He got comfortable and complacent with his play and his ceiling of his play was reached and peaked and were moving on.

Let's face it. If Joseph was going to get traded, it would probably have been at the deadline last year, but I don't think his services are in demand that much and no one's Even offered a mid-grade pic to acquire him. Has a lot to say about the marketplace for him. I think we're stuck with him till he improves or retake backup, bad contract or he's part of a larger trade.

Speaking of that, I think we're going to have one UFA defenseman signing and one veteran defenseman traded for Chych with the return being a defenseman in the same contract status or maybe one of less caliber but more of a stay-at-home defenseman that may not be as as much of a household name as a steady Eddie on defense. I think market is probably soured a bit Chych Because Staios probably overplayed it trying to be cautious and thinking he would get some better deals around the draft. At this point with free agency coming up unless something happens before free agency, any deal with Chych is probably going to happen once some of the free agent defense start falling off the board and there's only left overs. Who knows. He may even end up at training camp and we see a deal happen during the season or we do a deadline swap where he would probably fetch more for a team. Looking to do a deep playoff run and Chych is going to be playing his heart out this year. Looking for a big fat payday and he is going to be firing away at the nets.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Unless there's a drastic change in the next 48 hr, I think Chychrun is running it back as the second pair RHD.

I think there's 0 chance of that happening.

I don't think Tanev was a realistic target either. I don't know what this changes about our situation.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Kelly actually was a good 4th liner last year though, change for the sake of change is just a dumb mentality.
I mean with 0 context sure but if he is asking for 2 million a year see you later. They have missed the playoffs for 7 seasons change for the sake of change actually makes sense. I guess you like all the losing though?

If Katchouk is going to sign for half the price thats a better investment. They are probably going to invest 6 million into a RD if they are serious about it. Cant be paying replacement 4th liners more than a million maybe 1.5 max.

CallSaul

Jun 19, 2024
Lyubushkin full time second pair is not good

But I think it’s smart to just get both chychrun and chabot solid partners if we can’t get tanev Roy or pesce

It’s good enough for a team that will be fighting for a wildcard, which is what we’ll be.

Could also see either van Riemsdyk or Jensen from Washington.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
The issue with Kelly is similar to Brannstrom. He got more opportunity in Ottawa because we were a thin rebuilding team. With the stats they allow in arbitration, he has case to get awarded a salary that is higher than what he would get on the actual open market. It also won't be high enough for the Senators to walk away from.

It is not guaranteed that he gets a high settlement, but the issue is that the Senators have no over what he could get, and for a player in his role it makes no sense to jump through those hoops and risk overspending. Brannstrom is similar.

h2

Mar 26, 2002
I'm not as high on Kelly as others and view him as a borderline NHLer that looks like a great 4th liner at times. He's a league minimum contract and not a cent higher. Good on Steve for drawing the line on 4th line salaries.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Garrioch said we are talking to LA. We will circle on ROy. Which is obvious. It yzerman usually gets his guys

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
To Philly: Chychrun LD & Joseph LW ($7.550 mil out)
To Ott: Laughton LW, Foerster RW & Johansen C/RW ($7.863 mil in) - difference $.313K
- this could be their new 3rd line & Greig could be their rover

UFA: Justin Schultz RD

Tkachuk - Stutzle - Foerster
Norris/Greig - Pinto (4) - Batherson
Laughton - Johansen - Giroux
Ostapchuk - Halliday - MacEwan - $52

Chabot - Schultz (3)
Sanderson - Zub
Kleven - Hamonic/JBD - $26.6
- Yakemchuk could replace Hamonic as soon as next season

Ullmark - Forsberg - $7.750 = $86.350
- next yr they will need to find a new cheaper backup, if Sogaard hasn't improved in Belleville

Ryan Johansen? He's cooked, I wouldn't want any part of him.
Chychrun to LA for Kaliyev and Spence

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
We have depth. It’s shitty. That’s why they are trying to replace it.
Or were you happy with our shit team last year and want to roll it all back?

It feels like you’d hate them if they made few changes, you’d hate them if they made a lot of changes.
What is it exactly that you love about our bottom six and bottom 3 D that everyone shit all over as useless depth last year lol

To specifically answer your question here is who is playing for us next year, and I suspect it will be a mix of UFAs and/or players we trade for who fill in the depth (that everyone wanted changed) that our new director of pro scouting rob dimaio feels are the right fit for the vision of this team.

Tkachuk Stutzle Giroux
Norris Pinto Batherson
Greig

Sanderson Zub
Chabot
Kleven

Ullmark
Forsberg.

You misunderstand. I'm not upset we've let go of Kastelic and may do the same with Kelly.

I'm just surprised by how much turnover there's going to be this off-season.

For a team that normally has trouble attracting free agent talent, we must be pretty sure we can add players this off-season.

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
You misunderstand. I'm not upset we've let go of Kastelic and may do the same with Kelly.

I'm just surprised by how much turnover there's going to be this off-season.

For a team that normally has trouble attracting free agent talent, we must be pretty sure we can add players this off-season.

It's hard for us to attract the higher end free agents, but at the lower end of the market it should be less of an issue. Guys want jobs. Guys want opportunities. We're in a position to offer that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad