Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Kelly is not worth $1.3 & Brannstrom isn't worth $2 mil, remains to be seen if Hamonic is worth $1.1 mil although most probably don't think so. That's $4.4 mil which is approaching what a RD might cost us.
Except you need bodies to place those guys, and those guys will eat into that money too

Reactions: xVolchenkov

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
Can't sign Roy unless we move Chychrun, or we may lose Pinto to an offer sheet.

I don't understand what the issue is here. Why can't we have all of Roy, Chychrun and Pinto on the books for some amount of time this summer?

Even if we can't, it's not like Chychrun is some impossible to move contract. If for some reason we absolutely had to dump him (e.g. between Pinto being offer sheeted and when we had to match), I'm sure we could do it, it might just impact the value of the return.

And of course, none of this matters unless Pinto gets an offer sheet, which is extremely unlikely.

ottawagm

May 6, 2023
Probably going to run it back with new 4th liners and a 2-3M RHD instead of Brannstrom.

Lets hope Ullmark and new coaching can improve things enough.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Monday should be interesting.

Wonder if any teams will circle back to Chychrun if they strike out at free agency.

I’m not optimistic with him not moving at the draft, but here’s hoping someone is looking for an offensive LD.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
The reason why they traded for his rights was to offer him an 8 year deal (that will eventually get LTIR’d).

If we don’t feel like there’s a chance we’re getting Roy, I don’t think it’s worth it to trade for his rights.

They can't offer him 8. They can only offer 7 because he wasn't on the team at the deadline.

xVolchenkov

Jun 21, 2011
Ottawa
I can’t think of a single reason why he’d pick us over them, and they have more cap space.

Let’s just accept that we’re not going to fix the RD by UFA. Get TVR from Washington and call it a day.
I personally think Ottawa is a lot closer to being a playoff team than Detroit is. Our goaltending is a lot better as well.

Reactions: aragorn

xVolchenkov

Jun 21, 2011
Ottawa
Kelly is not worth $1.3 & Brannstrom isn't worth $2 mil, remains to be seen if Hamonic is worth $1.1 mil although most probably don't think so. That's $4.4 mil which is approaching what a RD might cost us.
While I’m all for going in a different direction than the 3 you have listed, they need to be replaced so to act like we’d suddenly have $4.4m for one guy is disingenuous.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Hamonic is staying, and a top 4 RD in free agency is going to fost way more than 4.4 mil.
Yes, that's obvious, that's why I used the word "approaching", regardless freeing up some of that money will help to pay for a new RD. $3.3 mil for Kelly & Bransstrom & Kubalics $2.5 mil all help pay for something.
Ryan Johansen? He's cooked, I wouldn't want any part of him.
Chychrun to LA for Kaliyev and Spence
Johansen is a salary dump to make the money close & we still have Greig who can play 3rd line C with Ostapchuk & Halliday behind him.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Staois finding out the GM game is hard work. As a rookie GM, im sure every other team is trying to screw you on deals. Hope he can improve this team.

I think people are panicking right now because there were a lot of trades today. Thing is free agency hasn't even come yet and there's a lot of time left in the offseason, majority of teams don't have their roster set-up - including us.

Realistically we all knew this offseason would be a major challenge for this team. Not only because we don't have a ton of assets to trade, but also because we were trying to fill two massive holes at key positions. Trading for Ullmark got us one of the best goalies on the market. We need a RHD which is the most coveted position in hockey.

Then we need to round out the bottom 6 which should be the easiest one.

I think we will get our Dman and figure it out. We just passed the draft. There's a ton of time left here and many moves to come.

Reactions: aragorn

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
In fairness, he did address out biggest issue last season, goaltending, in the past week.

Of course that was a good move, but considering where we finished in the standings, if we don't also seriously address defense I don't see us anywhere near the playoffs next season. Moving some minor pieces around won't cut it.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
It's an odd scenario.

On one hand, I feel like we've all gotten used to big splashes from Dorion where we would bring in big name busts and guys that don't want to be here.

On the other hand, running back the same team will result in another basement finish.

I'm willing to be patient.
If Ullmark plays better than korpisalo it won’t be another basement finish.

Can Ullmark save league average low danger shot attempts?

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
No worries apparently it's not a big deal not to find what you need before July 1st. Don't mind how all the available top-4 Ds are being traded this weekend.

The only realistic option out there that was traded is Marino but he also had a NTC.

Sergachev was a no go. Tanev was unlikely at his age there's no incentive to come here. Demelo re-signed. Otherwise nothing has moved.

Have to keep in mind not all players want to be here when we are not even a playoff team.Need to be realistic...

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I think if you can't perpetually find players to play on your 4th line at basically league minimum, you're doing it wrong.
You can find 4th liners for league minimum; however, they likely are not very good.

You might get an old vet (Perry) who wants to sign with a SC contender though; however, the Senators are not near that level of team.

I like Kelly but he is worth maybe $1M; he is effective on the PK because he is quick enough and smart enough defensively. Offensively though he lacks offensive skills.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Except you need bodies to place those guys, and those guys will eat into that money too
Obviously we replace those guys with cheaper options from our prospect pool. Ostapchuk can replace Kelly or Kastelic & maybe Halliday is ready for prime time after a good showing in Belleville to end last season.

Kleven obviously replaces Brannstrom & I expect when Hamonic's contract is done that Yakemchuk might be ready to step in & to replace him next season. And each of the guys I mentioned will be much harder to play against than the guys they are replacing.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I’m perfectly fine with the slow approach.

We were never getting Tanev, that was a hope and a dream.

I’m not too high on Marino so I’m probably a little biased saying I’m not upset about missing out on him.

I think all the guys the Sens actually had on the table are still there. They were never going to be in the hunt for Tanev, and likely not Roy either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad