GDT: Free Agency Day 1: You're from Boston? Come on down

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

MayorofWBS

Apr 14, 2015
Mars
It was obvious he didn't. His camp had a high number that didn't make sense for the Penguins cap structure from the start, then the negotiations seemed very tense and stopped. It's not new for players to price themselves off to avoid the negative backlash of stating outright they want to test the market or request a trade. I don't hate any player that does that personally - it's their livelihood and if they are happy elsewhere, good for them.

Jake though, kept throwing darts about how he would have stayed etc but his camp never really made that effort to stay. He looked like he was always going to test the market and dubas had to get something for him. I wish we got a first out of it but it's done now.

There's 0% of that situation that makes me feel he ever wanted to stay. The writing was on the wall for the Penguins future as anything but a playoff missing team that has legends on it to sell tickets and Jake knew it.
The only Jake hindsight/regret I have is we should have sold that bitch the year before. Four-eyes better not screw up the EK and Petts trades.

• Haha
Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
We'll see. I'm surprised you of all people think the tiger changed it's stripes this fast. We all know who is still behind the bench. He almost always gets what he wants. Look who they just hired to run the powerplay.

But yes. It's very clear that they have at least shifted gears on being "all in." But that doesn't mean that they are simply going to do what you all want them to and start selling everything not bolted down or start adopting this philosophy of buying up players and then turning around and selling them off. I think the idea was to give the HC the kinds of players he wanted for ALL of next year but only at reasonable prices instead of multi-year deals for everyone who makes the list.
I think Sullivan's here until he doesn't want to be, and I'm hoping that coincides with his deal ending expiring after 2026-27 and being too proud to coach a rebuild.

I dunno. Definitely feels different to me. No wild spending, low cap hits, low term, working to remove guys (albeit slowly). I'll be annoyed when they re-sign Petts, if they do, but I'm fine with this off-season. I think it's a shitty but needed step in the right direction.

We've both posted numerous times about how unwatchable the team has been for years and how little we follow/watch anymore, so nothing's changed there. :laugh: /shrug

Reactions: HandshakeLine

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I honestly don't have a good read for what the Penguins will set up their bottom-6 to be next year. The easiest option is:

Beauvillier-Eller-Puustinen
Lizotte-Hayes-Acciari

But signing Lizotte for 2 years at $1.85 million to put him as a 4LW seems odd, both from the aspect of "he's more of a center" and "he's the obvious Eller replacement when Eller gets moved". This is especially true if the Penguins add another forward like I'm expecting them to.

At the same time, I think Lizotte and Acciari as a wing duo is pretty damn fast (or should be fast, if Acciari plays to his capabilities), so maybe they do just want to surround Hayes with a couple of speedy wingers. Still though, I like Lizotte more as a 3C than a 4LW.
I almost want to ask Dubas to put together a line combination (understanding that additional moves may come).

I just have to assume that Eller and Acciari are moved or even waived.

Beauvillier-Hayes-Puustinen
Poulin-Lizotte-Puljujarvi

could make sense. But the combinations get tough figuring out where they fit unless they want to do as I've suggested and build a pure defensive 4th line of Puljujarvi-Eller-Acciari and then run the best scoring line you can with the rest, likely Beau-Lizotte-Puustinen/Poulin.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I almost want to ask Dubas to put together a line combination (understanding that additional moves may come).

I just have to assume that Eller and Acciari are moved or even waived.

Beauvillier-Hayes-Puustinen
Poulin-Lizotte-Puljujarvi

could make sense. But the combinations get tough figuring out where they fit unless they want to do as I've suggested and build a pure defensive 4th line of Puljujarvi-Eller-Acciari and then run the best scoring line you can with the rest, likely Beau-Lizotte-Puustinen/Poulin.

Hayes shouldn't be playing above Lizotte as the 3C, no way. Lizotte should definitely be the 3C in this setup.

Hayes is bad and shouldn't be expected to be anything more than a 4th liner. He probably shouldn't even be playing to begin with, the perfect scenario is that he's healthy scratched and doesn't even play.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Hayes shouldn't be playing above Lizotte as the 3C, no way. Lizotte should definitely be the 3C in this setup.

Hayes is bad and shouldn't be expected to be anything more than a 4th liner. He probably shouldn't even be playing to begin with, the perfect scenario is that he's healthy scratched and doesn't even play.
I don't disagree necessarily but I'm trying to maintain balance. Not sure I dig a 3rd line of Beauvillier-Lizotte-Puustinen. I think that line will get pushed around quite a bit.

In my I'm essentially trying to make "two bottom 6 lines" without labels because I don't want to truly say "two 4th lines" which is where we are trending sans a trade.

Beau-Eller-Puustinen
Hayes-Lizotte-Acciari

Makes some sense if they keep everyone.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think what I'd be shooting for at this point is:

Robertson-Crosby-Rust
Bunting-Malkin-Rakell
O'Connor-Lizotte-Puustinen
Beauvillier-Eller-Acciari
Hayes-Puljujarvi

I don't think Hayes is a healthy scratch and I imagine them pulling off another top-9 winger is probably unrealistic. But this is what I'd be shooting for.

The issue with Hayes playing is the fact that he's slow as shit. He has to be playing center and be surrounded with speedy wingers, but their bottom-6 centers should be Lizotte (3C) and Eller (4C). There really isn't a combination I particularly like with Hayes playing 4C. Lizotte-Hayes-Acciari is the closest, but like I said, I like Lizotte much more as a 3C than a 4LW.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Reactions: Gurglesons

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
In my I'm essentially trying to make "two bottom 6 lines" without labels because I don't want to truly say "two 4th lines" which is where we are trending sans a trade.
That’s how Sully’s been running our bottom-6 post-2017. Two “scoring lines” and two lines that start in the DZ 80% of the time filled with PK bots.

Reactions: SEALBound

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't disagree necessarily but I'm trying to maintain balance. Not sure I dig a 3rd line of Beauvillier-Lizotte-Puustinen. I think that line will get pushed around quite a bit.

Beau-Eller-Puustinen
Hayes-Lizotte-Acciari

Makes some sense if they keep everyone.

From reading what others have said, I think you're ideally shooting for:

O'Connor-Eller-Puustinen
Lizotte-Hayes-Beauvillier

Lizotte and Beauvillier are both really fast and should add the speed around Hayes that he needs. You just need to get a guy that pushes O'Connor to L3.

The Lightning are going through the same breakup that the Penguins almost went through in 2022 with Malkin. I'm really curious to see how they progress differently now that they went the more cut-throat route rather than the sentimental route. At this point, it's a fairly easy argument to make that the Penguins made a mistake going the route they did, but Tampa is a good test to see the other side of it.

Reactions: Maninthebox87

Dennis Reynolds

I have to have my tools!
Jun 10, 2011
Paddy's Pub
IMG_6178.jpeg

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad