Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
IMO the odds are pretty good that Tanev stays in Dallas. Better team and lower taxes.
If Ottawa is serious about getting Brandon then I wouldn't underestimate us being where Chris wants to play. He might really want to play with his brother before his career is over, and doing it not far from home in Ontario will be a big plus too.

If Ottawa wasn't trying to get Brandon then I'd say there's no chance he picks them over Dallas.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Dallas only has 16M of cap space with only 13 players signed.

Two of their free agents are Matt Duchene and Thomas Harley. Signing those two alone will take up a big chunk of that 16M, unless Harley takes a ridiculous bridge deal.

They could possibly make room for Tanev, but that's easier said that done. I think their offer to Tanev is probably something along the lines of we want you to stay, and we're Dallas where everybody wants to pay, so take a cheap 1 year deal with us and win a cup. To which, he will look at Ottawa's 15 million dollar offer and say "I don't want a cup that badly, I will settle for the Carp fair".

Johnson, Lindell, and Oettinger will all get massive raises next year as well. So while they have Benn coming off the books and some help with the cap probably going up again, those three players alone will cost them 20M+ if not more. So I don't they offer Tanev more than a 1 year contract, and they probably sell him on the idea of a fake 2 year deal, where he signs 1 year now and then signs a 1 year 35+ extension with the fake performance bonuses. That is the position they are in, they would have to be very creative to keep him, and he would have to take a haircut on money because they don't have the cap space to pay him 5M+ x 2-3 years.

Sens Vader

Jan 23, 2016
I don’t really see the point of getting picks back for Chychrun unless we have some big plans in free agency

We need to revamp the defence and upgrade the forward group so we need bodies back

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
I don’t really see the point of getting picks back for Chychrun unless we have some big plans in free agency

We need to revamp the defence and upgrade the forward group so we need bodies back
Exactly, I think they want pick to clear cap space. I think we gonna improve by free agent

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Dallas only has 16M of cap space with only 13 players signed.

Two of their free agents are Matt Duchene and Thomas Harley. Signing those two alone will take up a big chunk of that 16M, unless Harley takes a ridiculous bridge deal.

They could possibly make room for Tanev, but that's easier said that done. I think their offer to Tanev is probably something along the lines of we want you to stay, and we're Dallas where everybody wants to pay, so take a cheap 1 year deal with us and win a cup. To which, he will look at Ottawa's 15 million dollar offer and say "I don't want a cup that badly, I will settle for the Carp fair".

Johnson, Lindell, and Oettinger will all get massive raises next year as well. So while they have Benn coming off the books and some help with the cap probably going up again, those three players alone will cost them 20M+ if not more. So I don't they offer Tanev more than a 1 year contract, and they probably sell him on the idea of a fake 2 year deal, where he signs 1 year now and then signs a 1 year 35+ extension with the fake performance bonuses. That is the position they are in, they would have to be very creative to keep him, and he would have to take a haircut on money because they don't have the cap space to pay him 5M+ x 2-3 years.

I think they'd be smarter to re-sign Tanev instead of Duchene, given Stankoven is going to need a spot in the top 9 and they should make room for Bourque too.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Garrioch says FLA, Detroit, LA and Chicago are interested in Chychrun.

Not the list of teams I was hoping to see.

Florida has no good young assets, unless they deal someone like Bennett for futures and then offer those.

Chicago has assets but I see no fit there whatsoever. They aren't making the playoffs anytime soon and LD is their strongest position by far.

I think we're probably looking at offers of Kaliyev/Berggren + 2nd from LA and DET. Maybe a bit more.

Don't think either team would put their 1st on the table for Chychrun, but I would love to be wrong.

Reactions: kinghock and NB613

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
Not the list of teams I was hoping to see.

Florida has no good young assets, unless they deal someone like Bennett for futures and then offer those.

Chicago has assets but I see no fit there whatsoever. They aren't making the playoffs anytime soon and LD is their strongest position by far.

I think we're probably looking at offers of Kaliyev/Berggren + 2nd from LA and DET. Maybe a bit more.

Don't think either team would put their 1st on the table for Chychrun, but I would love to be wrong.
They have korchinski and vlasic signed for next year right?

CallSaul

Jun 19, 2024
Florida would make sense for Chychrun. They could use him to replace Montour (or Ekblad if they move on from him) at a lower price, and I bet Chychrun would be happy to sign a Forsling-like contract there.

Unfortunately they have no real good prospects or a 1st rounder for the next 2 years.

I wonder if they'd consider moving Luostarinen. Maybe if they want to re-sign Bennett.

Reactions: bicboi64

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
If Chicago does give us a 1st, I think it’ll be Toronto’s from next year which is likely to be lower than #18. I doubt they would trade up to 18 cause we needed a better pick in the return.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
If Chicago does give us a 1st, I think it’ll be Toronto’s from next year which is likely to be lower than #18. I doubt they would trade up to 18 cause we needed a better pick in the return.

You're right, but I think one thing to consider is that Chicago has the 34th overall pick which is not far off from a late 1st in value.

If the ask is a 1st+2nd, Chicago could give 34+50 in place of the 1st. That's similar value to a pick in the mid 20s. Then add in a 2025 or 2026 2nd.

There is also the alternative of getting a prospect in place of a 1st rounder. I am not entirely familiar with Chicago's prospect pool, but in the last 2 years alone they have selected over 10 times in the first two rounds, so they might have someone who Ottawa would value at an average 1st round pick.

For Philadelphia, I wonder if the trade would be for Oliver Bonk as the "1st round pick" piece.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
You're right, but I think one thing to consider is that Chicago has the 34th overall pick which is not far off from a late 1st in value.

If the ask is a 1st+2nd, Chicago could give 34+50 in place of the 1st. That's similar value to a pick in the mid 20s. Then add in a 2025 or 2026 2nd.

There is also the alternative of getting a prospect in place of a 1st rounder. I am not entirely familiar with Chicago's prospect pool, but in the last 2 years alone they have selected over 10 times in the first two rounds, so they might have someone who Ottawa would value at an average 1st round pick.

For Philadelphia, I wonder if the trade would be for Oliver Bonk as the "1st round pick" piece.
That would work too, I wouldn’t mind that trade. Best case scenario would be to try and target a RD prospect from Chicago or Detroit, but I don’t know who they have either.

I doubt Philadelphia would give us Bonk but I would do that any day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad