Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Oct 10, 2010
I’m going all in on Roy tbh
A top 4 RHD who does that…which one of those is available?

To Cal: 7th OA
To Ott: 9th OA & 41st OA

To Philly: 9th OA, Chychrun LD, Greig C/LW & Joseph LW/RW--- ($8. 413 mil out)
To Ott: 12th OA, Bonk RD, Foerster RW, Laughton LW & Johansen C/RW ($7.863 mil in)
- difference $.55K out

UFA: Justin Schultz RD

- Ott - 12th OA, 39th OA, 41st OA, Bonk RD & Foerster RW

Tkachuk - Stutzle - Foerster - 17.5
Norris - Pinto 5 - Batherson - 18
Laughton - Johansen - Giroux - 13.5
Kelly - Ostapchuk - MacEwan - 3 = $52

Sanderson - Schultz (3)
Chabot - Zub
Kleven - Hamonic/JBD - $26.6

Ullmark - Forsberg/Sogaard - $7.750 = $86.350
That D is awful

Go all in! 8x7.5 if need be

Now’s the time to win

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

To Ott: 12th OA, Bonk RD, Foerster RW, Laughton LW & Johansen C/RW ($7.863 mil in)
- difference $.55K out

Sanderson - Schultz (3)
Chabot - Zub

Schultz is not the answer, I am really suprised you want him. He is soft and small.

Reactions: OttawaSenators11

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
if saros gets 7's we should be getting ullmark in the 6's at most.

saros has three straight years of 60+ games.
Nashville is a no tax state, how much of his salary included that discount? I think we'll have to be close to 7 especially because Ullmark wants to play more games than he previously did.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I don't think he is.

Good 2nd pairing D but people are hyping him up too much.
I don't think he is.

Good 2nd pairing D but people are hyping him up too much.
I don’t want to get too caught up in that first pair second pair argument. You need 4 good defenders. He’s defended against top comp and come out with good results

Beech

What A Wonderful Day
Nov 25, 2020
The signing was annulled the day after it was signed and the penalty imposed
this is different.

Stamkos can still be signed to a CBA approved 8 year max. Consistent with other contracts, he can be front loaded to as much as 3x without it being out of line... see a whole host of contracts (T. Chabot is one example)

and so an 8 year at 3 M AVV, paid as 5, 5, 4, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, would be difficult to contest.

By year 4, you buy him out, and take the penalty hit for the remaining 10 years. The Cap should be 92 M and growing and you would barely feel it. He moves into management/front office/public relations and all is well.

Reactions: Blotto71

h2

Mar 26, 2002
Should be all over Carrier.

Going to make some team look very smart July 1st.

This is the way.

Pesce/Roy/Tanev will be too expensive. We need to be smart with UFA. We just got out of Korpi, no need to get another bad contract.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Should be all over Carrier.

Going to make some team look very smart July 1st.
I'd rather Roy or Pesce, but I think I'd prefere Carrier over Tanev assuming they get the deals I expect...

If we do go after Carrier though, I'd want to get someone like Hakanpaa for the third pair

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
this is different.

Stamkos can still be signed to a CBA approved 8 year max. Consistent with other contracts, he can be front loaded to as much as 3x without it being out of line... see a whole host of contracts (T. Chabot is one example)

and so an 8 year at 3 M AVV, paid as 5, 5, 4, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, would be difficult to contest.

By year 4, you buy him out, and take the penalty hit for the remaining 10 years. The Cap should be 92 M and growing and you would barely feel it. He moves into management/front office/public relations and all is well.
The Kovalchuk contract followed all the rules at the time, league still saw it as cap circumventing.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Marino could be a play, but I feel like there looking for someone with more bite on the back end vs an 180 lb RD. Maybe as a fallback.

I agree, but I also think we are in a scenario where we aren't going to be able to tick all the boxes with whoever we acquire. I'd love a big mean RHD who could stabilize Chabot in their own end, but I don't think that will be an option for us unless we draft them.

Isn't this basically what got NJD fined 3 mil and a first round pick (later returned to them as 30oa) for?

No, because there are now cap variance rules that prevent teams from front loading contracts too much.

I use the words circumvention, but it isn't really circumvention unless there is a preplanned deal for Stamkos to retire after a certain year.

I posted an example of a 7 year 4M AAV contract for Tanev a few pages back. It's not like back in the day where the final few years are completely fake, but most of the money can still be paid in the first half of the contract with an expectation that the player probably ends up LTIRetired or bought out.

Stamkos isn't going to play until 42, so their selling point is probably play for the next 2-3 years and end up on LTIR, you will walk away with the same overall salary than it you signed somewhere else for 2-3 years and then retired.

They probably can't say "you will end up on LTIR lol don't tell anyone we said that ;)" but it's an implied and obvious conclusion of the pitch, especially given the age and injury history of Stamkos.

Blotto71

Okay, maybe the worst is behind us...?
May 12, 2013
Over There

- difference $.55K out

Sanderson - Schultz (3)
Chabot - Zub

f*** no.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I agree, but I also think we are in a scenario where we aren't going to be able to tick all the boxes with whoever we acquire. I'd love a big mean RHD who could stabilize Chabot in their own end, but I don't think that will be an option for us unless we draft them.

No, because there are now cap variance rules that prevent teams from front loading contracts too much.

I use the words circumvention, but it isn't really circumvention unless there is a preplanned deal for Stamkos to retire after a certain year.

I posted an example of a 7 year 4M AAV contract for Tanev a few pages back. It's not like back in the day where the final few years are completely fake, but most of the money can still be paid in the first half of the contract with an expectation that the player probably ends up LTIRetired or bought out.

Stamkos isn't going to play until 42, so their selling point is probably play for the next 2-3 years and end up on LTIR, you will walk away with the same overall salary than it you signed somewhere else for 2-3 years and then retired.

They probably can't say "you will end up on LTIR lol don't tell anyone we said that ;)" but it's an implied and obvious conclusion of the pitch, especially given the age and injury history of Stamkos.
It's pretty clearly a cap circumventing strategy, just using planned buyouts instead of adding extra years.

The exact mechanisms differ, the goal and impact are the same.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012

1719608717960.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad