Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Value aside, who’s everyone’s preference between Roy, Tanev and Marino? Mine would be as listed.
Roy, but he’s also the least realstic out of the three I think.

To me, that's below their asking price of a 1st and a 2nd. No way am I valuing Kaliyev as a 2nd.
We got Chychrun for 12th overall and a 2nd (I think?) with 2.5 years left on his deal. 21st and Kaliyev for 1 ywar of Chychrun is pretty good value if we’re basing it off that.

Sens Vader

Jan 23, 2016
Dallas has plenty of room to keep Tanev. Not sure why he'd leave that team to join Ottawa when the Stars are going to be right in the thick of it for at least the next 2-3 years.

Would the addition of Ullmark entice Parayko to waive his NTC and join the Sens? Is there any possibility of a Chychrun for Parayko deal? Chychrun/Faulk would be a great 1st pairing for the Blues.

Then target the likes of Jani Haakanpa or Sean Walker for 3rd pairing RD.

Sanderson - Parayko
Chabot - Zub
Kleven - Haakanpa

That's difficult to play against.

I was thinking Parayko too, our new head pro scout would have good intel

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
Roy, but he’s also the least realstic out of the three I think.

We got Chychrun for 12th overall and a 2nd (I think?) with 2.5 years left on his deal. 21st and Kaliyev for 1 ywar of Chychrun is pretty good value if we’re basing it off that.

I just don't value Kaliyev. To me, he's a guy you take a flyer on knowing you might be waiving him within the year. He doesn't move the needle for me in a Chychrun package.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
Value aside, who’s everyone’s preference between Roy, Tanev and Marino? Mine would be as listed.
Tanev is exactly the dman we need, moreso than any of them. Marino the least. Roy is the middle ground.

The thing with Tanev is he’s going to need to slide to the third pairing at some point in his contract. So if you can develop a young top 4 RD (big if), he can probably still be effective as a vet lower down the line-up as he ages. I think he could really help Chabot/Sanderson in the meantime.

Reactions: xVolchenkov

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
B. Tanev, C. Tanev, Konecny, Laughton, Matt Roy, Carrier, Pesce..all of these guys would be great options for Ottawa
Even if they move Chychrun to accommodate a RD acquisition, they will only have enough cap for a middle six forward for about $3 m. If they move another contract out in addition to Chychrun, they’d have more cap to work with of course.

JackieDaytona

regular human hockey fan.
Oct 21, 2007
Why do folks want to jettison JBD? I get that he’s not a spectacular solution to the d corps woes, but I think he's started to look fairly steady in a limited role. He’s a RHD who’s cheap and under team control. The minute we give him away we’re looking for something just like him.

Package him up for an improvement in RHD? Sure, but I don’t understand looking for a mid round pick for this guy just to get rid of him. It’s like a less idiotic ‘get rid of deMelo for a third so we can spend 3 years looking for an rhd that will cost more than a third’ move imo.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Even if they move Chychrun to accommodate a RD acquisition, they will only have enough cap for a middle six forward for about $3 m. If they move another contract out in addition to Chychrun, they’d have more cap to work with of course.
I think Joseph is on the move, Hamonic bought out too.

Reactions: Samboni

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Why do folks want to jettison JBD? I get that he’s not a spectacular solution to the d corps woes, but I think he's started to look fairly steady in a limited role. He’s a RHD who’s cheap and under team control. The minute we give him away we’re looking for something just like him.

Package him up for an improvement in RHD? Sure, but I don’t understand looking for a mid round pick for this guy just to get rid of him. It’s like a less idiotic ‘get rid of deMelo for a third so we can spend 3 years looking for an rhd that will cost more than a third’ move imo.
Sounds like the org wants to move him, so probably just moving along under that assumption.

Reactions: JackieDaytona

Good in Osgoode

Jan 15, 2018
Osgoode

I agree.

If we are trading/walking from Bran and we are buying out Hamonic, is there really a need to move JBD as well To me, he improved nicely over the course of the season and while I don't think there is tremendous potential still in his game and I definitely think he has another level, where he can be a very reliable 3rd pairing RHD and can bump up to play in the top 4 with injuries. At $805k, you are not going to find a better option for what he brings.

CallSaul

Jun 19, 2024
I agree.

If we are trading/walking from Bran and we are buying out Hamonic, is there really a need to move JBD as well To me, he improved nicely over the course of the season and while I don't think there is tremendous potential still in his game and I definitely think he has another level, where he can be a very reliable 3rd pairing RHD and can bump up to play in the top 4 with injuries. At $805k, you are not going to find a better option for what he brings.

If a guy like De Haan is willing to take league minimum to be a #7 D here, he's probably a better option.

Reactions: LiseL and BigRig4

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010

I think maybe the Sens want an experienced #7, and JBD definitely shouldn’t be in our top 6.

I think a lot of it comes down to the fact that Chabot (assuming he’s still here), Sanderson, Zub and Kleven have a combined 0 playoff games experience. Plus it avoids a scenario where you’re rolling out a Kleven - JBD pairing. I’d be okay with keeping him as I actually think he can be a legit bottom pairing guy eventually, but I don’t think it matters too much either way.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
There were very few everyday defensemen in the league last year that were worse than Jacob Bernard-Docker - Jarred Tinordi, Travis Hamonic, Travis Dermott, a few others. He's in that tier of really awful players, though.

The team gets dreadful on-ice results when he's playing, and it's not even like he has high upside. There are no puck skills here to speak of, and doesn't have the feet or the length or the IQ or the nastiness to be a quality defender. He's just pure filler. If he weren't a 1st round pick he'd probably be sitting somewhere around a dozen games played just like Max Guenette.

Staios and Poulin have made no secret of their belief that the support players on this team can't be guys in their mid-20's that aren't very good/are trying to find their own way in the league. That's why Kastelic is gone, and it's why guys like Bernard-Docker, Brannstrom and Joseph probably aren't far behind.

There are plenty of decent vets that you can plug-in as a 6/7.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad