Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I don't think Tanev cap hit will be massive at this point in his career

He may look for term though

CallSaul

Jun 19, 2024
Tanev might want more term/security vs high cap

Yeah but as a guy who turns 35 during next season, there's only so much term that's possible.

Even on a 3-4 year deal that takes him to 38-39, I think he gets more than Demelo.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Analytics aside, I'd be shocked if Tanev doesn't get more than Demelo.
Age is a big factor, teams won't be willing to give Tanev term unless the cap hit is lower, so on a one or two year deal I'd agree, but if he gets 3 or even 4 it should greatly reduce the cap hit.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
I think that very few teams would go 3 years with a near 35 year old defenseman.

Especially if he gets signing bonuses and a NMC, year 3 is money he has a low chance of getting on his next contract it he goes 2 years. So if the offer from the Senators is 3 years 15M, and other teams are offering a higher AAV on 1 or 2 year deals, the 3 year deal might be better.

You also have to factor in any previous relationship with Green, and now much Staios covets Tanev, and if he can get 3 years here, that seems like a very good spot for him as an ageing player.

If he goes to a stacked contender, he isn't getting the superstar treatment that he will coming here as possibly our #2 D next to Sanderson.

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
There are rumours on every Sens D other than Sanderson and Zub.

If Stevey Wonder works his magic and unloads Chabot, Chychrun, Bernard-Docker, Branny and Hamonic, where does the team find the rest of the D corps?

Here’s a hypothetical using only free agent signings to supplement.

Sanderson/Zub
Ekman Larsson/ Matt Roy
De Haan/ Dumba
Kleven

I think that it’s more realistic for the team to acquire two D from trades and to sign two as free agents to supplement.

It’s going to be a VERY EXCITING next few days.

Blotto71

Okay, maybe the worst is behind us...?
May 12, 2013
Over There
Dallas has plenty of room to keep Tanev. Not sure why he'd leave that team to join Ottawa when the Stars are going to be right in the thick of it for at least the next 2-3 years.

Would the addition of Ullmark entice Parayko to waive his NTC and join the Sens? Is there any possibility of a Chychrun for Parayko deal? Chychrun/Faulk would be a great 1st pairing for the Blues.

Then target the likes of Jani Haakanpa or Sean Walker for 3rd pairing RD.

Sanderson - Parayko
Chabot - Zub
Kleven - Haakanpa

That's difficult to play against.

CallSaul

Jun 19, 2024
Dallas has plenty of room to keep Tanev. Not sure why he'd leave that team to join Ottawa when the Stars are going to be right in the thick of it for at least the next 2-3 years.

Would the addition of Ullmark entice Parayko to waive his NTC and join the Sens? Is there any possibility of a Chychrun for Parayko deal? Chychrun/Faulk would be a great 1st pairing for the Blues.

Sanderson - Parayko
Chabot - Zub
Kleven - Haakanpa

Dallas has Johnston, Oettinger and Harley all up for new deals either this offseason, or next year, and then Robertson after that.

I'm sure they want to keep Tanev, but it's probably going to be a 2-year deal on a discount there.

I could see him wanting 3-4 years and one last pay day.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
There are rumours on every Sens D other than Sanderson and Zub.

If Stevey Wonder works his magic and unloads Chabot, Chychrun, Bernard-Docker, Branny and Hamonic, where does the team find the rest of the D corps?

Here’s a hypothetical using only free agent signings to supplement.

Sanderson/Zub
Ekman Larsson/ Matt Roy
De Haan/ Dumba
Kleven

I think that it’s more realistic for the team to acquire two D from trades and to sign two as free agents to supplement.

It’s going to be a VERY EXCITING next few days.

I don't think we are going to attract multiple top UFA defenseman. De Haan makes sense as a #6-7 because he has ties to the area and is shouldn't cost a lot to sign.

I would say something like:

Sanderson-Tanev
WildCard-Zub
DeHaan-Wildcard2
Kleven

Wildcard1 is Chabot or another top 4 D that we trade him for, either directly or by proxy.

For WildCard2, I think we maybe pick up someone like a Ceci type. A veteran who is available because they have some shortcomings, but they have term and we don't have to play the game overpaying in free agency.

This isn't meant to start a whole Ceci discussion. It could be anybody. I just mean a #5 type defenseman who ideally is slotted in at 18-19 minutes a night, but could play up the lineup in a pinch when we have injuries. I am more trying to think of guys who aren't UFAs because realistically I think we have to go the trade route for this role. If New Jersey gets Pesce, then one of their D might fit the bill.

Reactions: BarberPole9

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I feel like we may target some lesser RHD, like Myers, Dumba, Carrier,

I'd also be ok with looking at Lybuskin or Hakanpaa for the 3rd pair if we move on from JBD

Reactions: Blotto71

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison

Sanderson - Parayko
Chabot - Zub
Kleven - Haakanpa

The only reason he would leave to go to Ottawa is money.

Dallas doesn't need to overpay him. They are one of the most attractive destinations in the NHL. If he doesn't sign, they will have less trouble than most teams attracting a replacement.

If Dallas offers 1-2 years and Ottawa offers 3-4, that's why he comes here. At his age, there is a very real risk that this will be his last contract. Extra term means 5-10 million in pre tax career earnings. Especially if he gets signing bonuses and a NMC from Ottawa, which he probably will.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Another thing about Dallas is that they only have 16 million. They need to sign Duchene, Harley, and they need a backup goalie. Then they need to fill out their roster.

Odds are, Dallas talking to Tanev is more like, we are the Dallas Stars, we want to keep you and this is what we can do if you want to stay and play for a contender. Not we are prepared to compete for your services at peak market value.

The Stars also only have three picks in the upcoming draft. With how many moving parts the Senators have, I wonder if Dallas approaches them to try and get a 4th or 5th round pick for the rights to Tanev.

That way, Ottawa can sign him now and clarify their situation before the draft where they will have all these other moving parts to deal with roster and cap wise.

I feel like we may target some lesser RHD, like Myers, Dumba, Carrier,

I'd also be ok with looking at Lybuskin or Hakanpaa for the 3rd pair if we move on from JBD

Myers is someone I thought of for the #5 role, because of his ties to Green, but he is coming off of a strong season relative to his role. He might have better options.

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark

Sanderson - Parayko
Chabot - Zub
Kleven - Haakanpa

Parayko probably only wants to go to Alberta.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Brazil vs Colombia
    Brazil vs Colombia
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $14,538.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $50.00