Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
A lot of people were wondering what a rookie GM would do, so many weren't expecting much, others said they would wait till he made moves before judging (myself included). SS has hit a home run IMO. I didn't think there was any way of getting rid of Korpi without a huge sweetener. And if Ulmark works out and signs an extension after July 1st, this deal will be even better.

Can't wait to see what happens on the Chychrun front and UFA market this summer.
We are one RD UFA signing from unf***ing a lot of what was f***ed.
We’d still have our 7th, the return from Chychrun, and Ostapchuk.

That that is actually a possibility I would have thought umpossible until 52 minutes ago

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Just remembered we’re buying out Hamonic and freeing another 700k in cap space.

We love winning, don’t we?

Buying out Hamonic costs us cap space, it doesn't free up cap space. A replacement costs 775k at minimium. So it costs a bit extra to buy him out this season, and a few hundred k next season.

That tells you what they feel about him as a player.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Would Chychrun for Rutger McGroarty make sense?

Get a higher end prospect who is ready for the nhl

Trade the bos 1st and something else for Ulmark
this could still happen maybe another young player

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Does Utah make sense for a destination for one of our D? (JBD or brannstrom). They have infinite picks and 0 D under contract

Yes, it makes sense for JBD. They have so many draft picks, they could easily throw Ottawa a 6th rounder for him and he would be fine as their 6th-8th type NHL D who is signed at an appropriate cap hit.

Brannstrom doesn't make sense because he probably isn't worth his QO. I am not sure I buy that there is any market for him.

WallyD

Nov 20, 2022
Yes, it makes sense for JBD. They have so many draft picks, they could easily throw Ottawa a 6th rounder for him and he would be fine as their 6th-8th type NHL D who is signed at an appropriate cap hit.

Brannstrom doesn't make sense because he probably isn't worth his QO. I am not sure I buy that there is any market for him.
Not sure if I fully understand the myriad of intricacies around qualifying offers, but here's my limited understanding. Somebody more knowledgeable can please correct or amend. If Ottawa qualifies Branny (gives him his minimum offer entitlement under CBA) then Ottawa would be entitled to receive compensatory draft picks should another team provide an offer sheet matching or exceeding that offer price. QO price is minimum. If Ottawa does not qualifying his contract then his status would change from RFA to UFA making him free to sign any contract wherever he likes.

My guess is that if Ottawa does not believe they can recover at least the QO value in a trade then they simply elect to not qualify him which effectively removes his contract value from the books (aka team cap).

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Not sure if I fully understand the myriad of intricacies around qualifying offers, but here's my limited understanding. Somebody more knowledgeable can please correct or amend. If Ottawa qualifies Branny (gives him his minimum offer entitlement under CBA) then Ottawa would be entitled to receive compensatory draft picks should another team provide an offer sheet matching or exceeding that offer price. QO price is minimum. If Ottawa does not qualifying his contract then his status would change from RFA to UFA making him free to sign any contract wherever he likes.

My guess is that if Ottawa does not believe they can recover at least the QO value in a trade then they simply elect to not qualify him which effectively removes his contract value from the books (aka team cap).

The issue with qualifying Brannstrom is that
1) He can sign it and get a 2M salary. He is probably not worth 2M on the open market.
2) More importantly, he can not sign it and go to arbitration. Because he played bigger minutes on a rebuilding team, and because of the limited type of stats allowed in arbitration, he would probably get awarded something higher than 2M.

Teams cannot walk away from awards below 4.74M. So that is why you sometimes see prominent players like Brannstrom not qualified, because teams don't want to risk having to pay them more than they are worth and not be able to walk away.

If a team really likes Brannstrom, they could trade for his rights or offer a pick contingent on an extension. That is a catch 22 though because he is almost certainly hitting the open market, and if they like him enough to offer him something he would sign, they can probably get him as a UFA without giving up a pick.

I could be completely off, and maybe he's worth 2M+ and someone trades for him. I don't think that will be the case. JBD is a more marketable trade piece because he's a depth defender signed at appropriate money without term. A team who just needs an extra hand who has played NHL games before will give the Senators a 6th or 7th round pick for him. Similar to when we got one of those for Jaros.

Reactions: BigRig4 and WallyD

WallyD

Nov 20, 2022
Buying out Hamonic costs us cap space, it doesn't free up cap space. A replacement costs 775k at minimium. So it costs a bit extra to buy him out this season, and a few hundred k next season.

That tells you what they feel about him as a player.
Hamonic's age means he qualifies to be bought out at 2/3rds remaining contact value. Technically it does increase available cap space because you do not pay out the full amount to a player you are not playing. There is more gain factored in cap space wise as the team gets to spread that cap hit out over double the remaining contract term (1 year), meaning that dollar amount is split over 2 years (I hope!).

Example... if he had 1M remaining for 1 year the team would be obliged to pay him 666.66M but only 333.33M per year of that hits team cap space each of 2 years.

Nutshell... You need a secret decoder ring to figure this shit out!

Reactions: BigRig4

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad