Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Ok... so this is where we stand:

Tkachuk-Stu-Giroux
Greig-Pinto(RFA)-Batherson
???-Norris-Joseph
Kelly(RFA)-Ostapchuk-MacEwen

Sanderson-Zub
Chabot-??? (Chychrun for now)
Kleven?-JBD
Hamonic

Ullmark
Forsberg

Assuming Chychrun is moved, we have ~14 mil to:
1. Re-sign Pinto, and Kelly
2. Sign/acquire a top 4 RHD
3. Get a middle 6 winger
4. Add depth to create competition for the 4th line and bottom pair D.

Pinto likely costs ~3-3.5 for a bridge, 5-5.5 with some term
Kelly about 1 Mil
A top 4 RHD 4.5-5.5?
A middle 6 winger ~3.5?

I could see Joseph, JBD getting moved as well.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I still can’t shake the feeling Chabot could move by July 1st. Culture change, Jacques comments, 8M AAV, trade protection coming. I prefer him to Chychrun but ….

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
I still can’t shake the feeling Chabot could move by July 1st. Culture change, Jacques comments, 8M AAV, trade protection coming. I prefer him to Chychrun but ….

It's a new era with a beefed up front office looking to make an impact. One with no loyalties to anyone on the roster, and a desperation to get to the playoffs.

I think it's going to be a busy summer.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I think we might also replace Forsberg.
It's possible, although he has a yr left on his $2.750 mil deal which is managable. He could also be a deadline deal next season if a team needs a goalie & who knows if or when Sogaard can be an NHL backup. Regardless, I doubt he is re-signed after his deal is done, I expect a new backup to start the following yr.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Ok... so this is where we stand:

Tkachuk-Stu-Giroux
Greig-Pinto(RFA)-Batherson
???-Norris-Joseph
Kelly(RFA)-Ostapchuk-MacEwen

Sanderson-Zub
Chabot-??? (Chychrun for now)
Kleven?-JBD
Hamonic

Ullmark
Forsberg

Assuming Chychrun is moved, we have ~14 mil to:
1. Re-sign Pinto, and Kelly
2. Sign/acquire a top 4 RHD
3. Get a middle 6 winger
4. Add depth to create competition for the 4th line and bottom pair D.

Pinto likely costs ~3-3.5 for a bridge, 5-5.5 with some term
Kelly about 1 Mil
A top 4 RHD 4.5-5.5?
A middle 6 winger ~3.5?

I could see Joseph, JBD getting moved as well.
This is pretty solid projection as we sit here at this time.

That fourth line will be interesting this year. Do they go heavy and wear opposition down or go fast and wear them out.??

I can see guys like Ostapchuk, Kelly, Crookshank, MacEwen, Smejkel getting a solid look. I remember Jarventie getting some good results as a centre last year, and guys like Rees, Halliday and Highmore, even Chartier, will have lots of motivation to show they belong as well.

Going to be interesting to witness who steps up.

Blotto71

Okay, maybe the worst is behind us...?
May 12, 2013
Over There
Don't know what kind of dollars will be available once the dust clears, but what are thoughts on Sam Lafferty as a UFA target? Can fill out the 3rd line and move up on occasion if needed.

Reactions: Wallet Inspector

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Lafferty would be a good get. I'm wondering how ticked off the Jets are with McGroarty. Package him with a D like Demelo? What would we give back?

Blotto71

Okay, maybe the worst is behind us...?
May 12, 2013
Over There
Lafferty would be a good get. I'm wondering how ticked off the Jets are with McGroarty. Package him with a D like Demelo? What would we give back?
Would Chychrun + Joseph get McGroaty + Barron? Sens need to add pick?

Edit: I don't think the Jets have an abundance of D to trade.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Chris Tanev signed 5 x $7 million

Ott: Brandon Tanev
Sea: 3rd 2026 Florida

Ott: 18th overall, 2nd 2025
Chi: Chychryn

Ott: 3rd round pick
Mtl: Mathieu Jospeph

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Chris Tanev signed 5 x $7 million

Ott: Brandon Tanev
Sea: 3rd 2026 Florida

Ott: 18th overall, 2nd 2025
Chi: Chychryn
That’s crazy for Tanev. 4.5M x 4 or 5.5M x 3

Why would Chicago want Chychrun.

CallSaul

Jun 19, 2024
I wonder if Carolina could be a good landing spot for Chychrun.

Good team, low taxes, he'd probably be open to re-signing at a nice rate.

Sounds like they're moving on from Pesce and Skjei, and they only have Orlov for 1 more season. Plus Burns is 39.

Jack Drury could be a nice add for the bottom 6, alongside some picks.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison

If they successfully move Chabot, the interesting part is that they would turn over the entire D core in one season, except for Sanderson and Zub.

As far as we know, Hamonic, Brannstrom, JBD, and Chychrun are not coming back.

I think that Chabot's AAV might look less unappealing on the trade market after GMs see what UFA defenseman get under the rising cap. More importantly, Chabot doesn't require a 5-8 year type commitment like the top UFA D. He only has 4 years remaining.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison

This is good for the Senators if they are going after Tanev. It is a bit lower than expected. He is 31 years old. Tanev is 34.

Unless a team like Utah offers Tanev an inflated 1 year deal, I can't see him costing much more than that. He also may not want to take a 1 year deal because then he will have to sign next year as a 35+ player.

The big selling point will be term. I think he comes in somewhere between 4.5-5.5, but we offer him more years and security than another team.

Have to think that sets the market for Tanev, Pesce and Roy. Those guys are looking at ~6M now.

I agree with Tanev and Roy. I don't think for Pesce. I think perception wise, Pesce is considered a tier above Demelo.

I think that Demelo is still hurt by his odd career trajectory, where he put it together late in his career after being a 7th D on the Sharks. He is coming off of a very strong year, but his usage in WPG has been up and down throughout his time there, while Pesce has consistently been a top pairing defenseman for the better part of the past decade.

Pesce will get 7M+ with term.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
That’s crazy for Tanev. 4.5M x 4 or 5.5M x 3

Why would Chicago want Chychrun.

Church run to Chicago is a hot rumour because of the Chychryn/Richardson family connection and how many draft picks can Chicago have? They need a LD a on a big way and Chychryn seems like a perfect fit there.

Tanev is getting north of $6 - it’s the market not the stats. And to bring him from Dallas no taxes etc I don’t think you get him to Ottawa for $5 - and Staois seals the deal with a promise to unite him with his brother

Sens Vader

Jan 23, 2016
I feel like we gotta go the trade route anyway with our cap situation

Unless we move Chychrun and Joseph for picks

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I wonder if there are hockey trades to be made with some of the teams excess now. This seems like a regime that wants to hoard draft picks and keep most of the prospects currently in the system.

Something around Joseph/Boucher/Sokolov/Brannstrom/JBD/Forsberg for some of the rumoured names (Laughton/Farabee/B.Tanev/Kaliyev/ect) seems like something that could still make sense for Ottawa.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad