Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
At this point I would just want to keep Stutzle/Sanderson and that's it. Start over

Reactions: Sting

Mark Stones Spleen

Trouba's elbow
Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
Would be awfully stupid to trade Batherson. At worst, he's worth close to his contract and at best he's the biggest steal on the team.

One of the LHDs probably need to go and be replaced with a top 4 RHD. Norris is overpaid, not sure what team would dedicate 8M to him. I still think we can get away with just keeping the forwards we have once they forget how to play DJ hockey.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
The fact is, and it's a very, very shitty one, that Dorion handcuffed this team so incredibly bad, it's going to take a lot of gymnastics to make moves that new owners and GM's would like to do.

They have no 1st's from the past 3 drafts, they have lost one of the next 3, they have zero prospects who are going to be targeted or looked at for an impact player or move.

They have very, very few assets outside the main roster. It's essentially non-existent. Which is utterly insane with finishing in the bottom ~10 for the past decade.

It's going to take trading guys with value who aren't deeply entrenched in the core, which essentially leaves Batherson, Chychrun and Zub, to get the needed assets to make the moves that Staios likely wants to.

For tradeable assts to get NHL talent, the Sens essentially have:
30th 2024
2 2nds over the next 3 drafts
Mid level prospects

That's about it. That's not going to cut it, and is extremely troubling with where the Sens are.
I think this is bit of an overreaction. The sens have talent which is hard to come by. I think they need a better vision about what the identity of the team is going to be and build around the core to fit that. Dorion was poor at that if we want size and a bit of sandpaper then players like DBC, Tarasenko, Chychrun, Branny Paul should not have been moves that have been made

on the flip side he was probably banking on Formenton and Boucher.

I think have a decent amount of assets to make some moves. Like moving for a guy like Tanev might not cost an arm and a leg and would be a significant piece for what we need or wait till free agency where you can find players to fill gaps like that.

Another name brought up by 32 thoughts was Michael Bunting who I do not believe would cost a huge amount

Lets see what we have when Joseph and Pinto are back and start to make some easy moves like Kubalik and Senko

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
Friedman on 32 Thoughts Podcast:

"The players went to management and said that this organization is too crazy, there was too much drama. Everything that management has done was to remove the drama. They held on to Smith longer than I think some of other teams might have because they respected the players wishes on that."

"I am wondering if NOW what the organization is saying, is that if these players are too comfortable."

"What I see happening in Ottawa is that they think their guys are too comfortable"

"I think they want to send a lightning bolt through their roster, and they want to see how their players react to it."
Stamkos

• Haha
Reactions: armani

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I think Pinto being back will help give us a different mix upfront too. Right now Greig and Norris aren't playing like 2nd line centers. Norris is recovering i guess so I will give him the rest of the season to see. Greig is still green.

Pinto might add some pressure and give us the option of moving Norris down with Greig and say Batherson and we can have Pinto with Brady and Senko or something

If Pinto proves he has developed more that kinda makes things a bit more interesting for us. Also the sens are discussing a longer term deal with Pinto which is good we have more leverage right now

Joseph - Stuztle - Giroux
Tkachuk - Pinto - Tarasenko
Greig - Norris - Batherson

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
At this point I would just want to keep Stutzle/Sanderson and that's it. Start over

Are you nuts? You want to rebuild for another 5 seasons...

I think Pinto being back will help give us a different mix upfront too. Right now Greig and Norris aren't playing like 2nd line centers. Norris is recovering i guess so I will give him the rest of the season to see. Greig is still green.

Pinto might add some pressure and give us the option of moving Norris down with Greig and say Batherson and we can have Pinto with Brady and Senko or something

If Pinto proves he has developed more that kinda makes things a bit more interesting for us. Also the sens are discussing a longer term deal with Pinto which is good we have more leverage right now

Joseph - Stuztle - Giroux
Tkachuk - Pinto - Tarasenko
Greig - Norris - Batherson

Pinto isn't going to waltz into that 2C spot. That's wishful thinking,

Reactions: Cosmix

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Are you nuts? You want to rebuild for another 5 seasons...

I am talking more after he has a month of games in.

give him about 15 games to get going and see where he is at. I think he can be more effective than Norris

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

It will certainly take some time for him to get back into his groove after missing 41 games.

That said, he plays the game the way a coach like JM would want, and should be receptive to a defense first message. He gives us flexibility to run with the line that's on, and potentially have 3 capable scoring lines

I think the two biggest things that threw this season off the rails were not starting with a fresh coach from day one (ideally have a new coach hired around the draft, giving him time to build up his staff and develop a system that aligns with the roster), and Pinto getting suspended taking away what was supposed to be a real strength of the team, center depth (though Greig filled in very well).

Reactions: HSF

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
If new management are moving core pieces to rebuild/assemble their own team this season, it's going to be Chychrun or Batherson who is moved. Batherson would be very, very highly sought after, and Chych only has a year remaining.

Norris is the guy who "should" be moved, to get out of the contract, but I am not sure there would be any market.
I think it’s gotta be Chabot.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
It will certainly take some time for him to get back into his groove after missing 41 games.

That said, he plays the game the way a coach like JM would want, and should be receptive to a defense first message. He gives us flexibility to run with the line that's on, and potentially have 3 capable scoring lines

I think the two biggest things that threw this season off the rails were not starting with a fresh coach from day one (ideally have a new coach hired around the draft, giving him time to build up his staff and develop a system that aligns with the roster), and Pinto getting suspended taking away what was supposed to be a real strength of the team, center depth (though Greig filled in very well).
Yes being weak down the middle has been part of the issue with this team. Not sure if that improves significantly with Pinto but worth a shot. Not much experience there

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
FzkwQsmWcBs9Qlg.jpeg

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Yes being weak down the middle has been part of the issue with this team. Not sure if that improves significantly with Pinto but worth a shot. Not much experience there
Well, he pushes Greig to the wing in all likelihood, so the improvement is likely felt more there since the net difference at center will be less, however it gives us a big upgrade at the dot, another penalty killing option (where that faceoff ability will be valuable), a two way mentality which is lacking, and another shooter for the PP (2nd unit).

All that and he's still growing as a player, he was a rookie last year after all. He projects to be the type of player we need right now.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Well, he pushes Greig to the wing in all likelihood, so the improvement is likely felt more there since the net difference at center will be less, however it gives us a big upgrade at the dot, another penalty killing option (where that faceoff ability will be valuable), a two way mentality which is lacking, and another shooter for the PP (2nd unit).

All that and he's still growing as a player, he was a rookie last year after all. He projects to be the type of player we need right now.
ya def in the future all these guys need more experience if anthing so we may need to be patient

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
ya def in the future all these guys need more experience if anthing so we may need to be patient
One other thing I just thought about,

Pinto is our only RH center in the top 9, Giroux is the only other RH guy that takes draws. Having a 2nd option for faceoffs on the right side could help improve everyone's results at the dot since we're less likely to have guys taking draws on their weak side.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Vladimir Tarasenko to Vancouver for Vasily Podkolzin or the Kings Alex Turcotte.
better off getting a pick if those are the options. Maybe use that pick to move Forsberg in the offseason to clear more cap and use the extra cap in free agency

Reactions: Senator Stanley

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I'd keep Stu/Sand/Chabot/Tkachuk

Everything else can go. Get some more classy veterans like Giroux, overpay if you must and let's go.

The loser culture has set. This roster needs emergency surgery.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Any chance Colorado could be interested in Norris?

I think he could be a good fit for a contender looking for a 2C. The contract is not great but it is locked in and could prove useful to a current contender.

Reactions: BradyTkachucky

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I am talking more after he has a month of games in.

give him about 15 games to get going and see where he is at. I think he can be more effective than Norris
I am not as high on Pinto as others on this board. I see him as a competent 3rd line center. He does not seem to have the playmaking and puck carrying abilities I want in a top 6 center. The only young C we have who does is Stutzle. I think this is a team weakness.

As Norris is coming back from a year long injury, I am willing too wait on him; however, he does not seem to be a playmaking, puck carrying centre either. He seems to be more a shooter.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I think moving Norris because people aren't enamored with his level of play coming off missing an entire season to injury is a recipe for sellers remorse.
I don't disagree, I like him and would rather keep him.

It is just that the only players I'd absolutely keep are Stu/Sand/Chabot/Tkachuk. In my mind, if the goal is to shake things up, he is the most expendable core piece that could get us the best return despite the not-great contract.

Something has got to give.

Reactions: HF Reader

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad