Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
If the team wants to retool, Chychrun is probably easier to move and get a good return than Chabot.

Things might change with the cap going up, but it might be difficult to get full value for a player signed at 8M for 4 more seasons, who has been up and down the last few years because he has been pushed to play too many minutes on teams with bad defense cores.

The thing is, trading Chychrun doesn't send as much of a message, or really change the core. He has been a Senator for less than a year. Tkachuk, Norris, Stutzle, Chabot, Batherson, etc - those are the players who have been around the entire time. Trading one of them sends a real message and depending on who they bring in to replace them, might change the complexion of the group.
It’s not about easier to move or better return. If the team decides to move one of Chychrun or Chabot it should be based on which one the team wants to keep.

ottawagm

May 6, 2023
I think we would probably be better off sending one of our D to another team and then using some of that package for Karlsson... he won't get too much more than a 1st+prospect if he's coming with a 10M hit.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I always find it weird when people shit on arguably the best Senators ever and HHOF lock.

We could definitely use him. The contract is a solid argument against but no one on this roster would out match him even at this age.

More players on this team could use the drive that Karlsson has

I would go after Tanev. Apparently Toronto already knows they can sign him.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
IMO this is going to be a slower burn wrt to player changes. There could be a move when Pinto comes in, but I think they go to the TDL ; move the UFAs , try to move Brannstrom and wait it out to the summer.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
The deal that makes the most sense would be Chabot+Forsberg for Karlsson+Nedeljkovic.

There needs to be an equalizer in there for cap, and Pittsburgh is unlikely to retain. With Sogaard knocking on the door, Forsberg makes the most sense to move out. That makes it close to cap in/out in 24-25 (Chabot+Forsberg out, Karlsson+Sogaard recalled in).

The only reason that I think Pittsburgh would say no would be if they are going to rebuild. The liability of Karlsson's decline seems greater to me than the liability of Chabot's current struggles. Chabot also might be easier to move if they decide to go into a rebuild after Crosby, since Chabot doesn't have a NMC.

I am not endorsing this trade, but if the ownership group wants to make a splash with the season ticket holders, while also sending a message to this (so far) failed core, moving out the longest tenured member of the core while bringing back the former captain would certainly be a shakeup.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Batherson + Chychrun vs Karlsson

the best thing about karlsson is that you're getting a world class talent who makes his linemates better for not very much.

always find it weird when people shit on arguably the best Senators ever and HHOF lock.

We could definitely use him. The contract is a solid argument against but no one on this roster would out match him even at this age.

More players on this team could use the drive that Karlsson has
Last year the Penguins record after 30 games was 18-8-4 and this year with Karlsson is 14-13-3 .
I don't think he is the "needle mover" you all think he is.

Reactions: Dionysus

dpw

Jul 29, 2004
I just have this feeling it's inevitable with Alfie in the fold now. Either this season or the off season.

Chabot for Karl + 2nd.

Reactions: Agent Zuuuub

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA
Doubt it happens in season but if we miss the playoffs (and it’s looking like it), this could be a ‘shakeup’ type of move that the sens could make. Has to be Chabot or chychrun going the other way though. My preference is Chabot only because he’s been here the longest and a message likely needs to be sent (plus he’s more derivative with karlsson and Sanderson in the fold)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad