Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I think he will, eventually, but probably not next year.

The upper cap limit for Ottawa next year will be $88.375M (including the credit from White's buyout).

Currently, we have just over $75M of cap hits for next season. Assuming Pinto gets anywhere from $2.5-3M for next year, we'll have ~$10M of space, with only 2 roster spots to fill. And I bet Crookshank takes one of them.

Staios and Andlauer seem like pretty methodical people. I doubt they're going to go out and sign a top-end UFA or make a splashy trade where they add a significant salary in the same offseason that they need to find and integrate the next GM and coach.
I wish GMs would leave 1 or 2 million in cap available for injuries or TDL deals.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Tarasenko is someone you'd retain on, for sure.

Not Kubalik or Brannstrom. Those guys are going for late-round picks, if anyone wants them at all. Retaining isn't bumping up the return, since they're, at best, injury insurance for whoever acquires them.
Would add retention on kubalik since he has shown to be a streaky point producer and I can see a team take a gamble on him at 1.25 and is getting a 3rd. Without retention we are looking at a late pick at best like you indicated

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
If they deal Chychrun at the deadline, they could take back a contract to make it closer to cap in/cap out. Not necessarily a bad contract, but someone who would be redundant with not a lot of trade value.

For example, something like sending him to Edmonton for picks+prospects, and we take back Cody Ceci in the deal to make the cap work for them. That's not really wasted cap for us, because he will play in our top 6 next year, but it is cap considerations for Edmonton.

I can't see them retaining when his cap hit is already at half of what it should be. If they retain on Chychrun, the return has to be enormously inflated. Similar to how Brandon Hagel got way more than a comparable player would get with his resume at the time, because he was cost controlled at 1.5M. (He more than lived up to what they gave up for him, but I mean at the time.)
Any solution that involves Ceci in a Sens jersey again is a poor solution

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I barely speak French. So didn't try to read that.

But Pittsburgh is definitely going to make Karlsson available with retention. And I guarantee you a Staios and Alfredsson led management will enquire.

Might finally get some championship mentality up in this.
It will be interesting to see what Pittsburgh does from here. They barely gave up anything for EK and the deep dives say he's not the problem there, but that is one very old team that looks like may have run out of magic. Hell, Karlsson's actually young compared to the big trio, so I could see him wanting to go elsewhere yet. When his contract expires, he'll be as old as they are now.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
It will be interesting to see what Pittsburgh does from here. They barely gave up anything for EK and the deep dives say he's not the problem there, but that is one very old team that looks like may have run out of magic. Hell, Karlsson's actually young compared to the big trio, so I could see him wanting to go elsewhere yet. When his contract expires, he'll be as old as they are now.

The Senspiracy theorist in me almost thinks we'll end up with Karlsson.

He is like Alfredsson's Kleven. If Alfredsson has any input, maybe he tries to sway them to move someone and reacquire Karlsson.

Both teams are in a position where they could get away with making a hockey trade where they swap star players, and it would be understandable with both teams underperforming.

I would not re-acquire Karlsson, as much as I love him, but I could see how the opportunity to change the narrative on this season and re-unite two of the most popular figures in franchise history would be enticing for ownership and management. Especially down the stretch with ticket sales and interest likely in the toilet.

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015

They are way too old. Can barely move and Malkin is not 1C anymore which means they have only 1 top line now. Unless Malkin gets hot Stanley cup or even playoffs might be a pipe dream.

Karlsson is not the problem but he also isn't young enough to carry teams anymore, but he sure as hell can still get his team to play cerebral possession hockey.

What is a young team with great legs who have no idea how to play cerebral hockey? Lol

Chychrun-Karlsson imo would be a great pairing that makes them both better.

Chychrun if he had to focus on d and shooting instead of playmaking would be much more effective player. He's a great skater and pretty good physically. Karlsson can focus on playmaking. Both players focus on what makes them good. = Good things and good pairing.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
The Senspiracy theorist in me almost thinks we'll end up with Karlsson.

He is like Alfredsson's Kleven. If Alfredsson has any input, maybe he tries to sway them to move someone and reacquire Karlsson.

Both teams are in a position where they could get away with making a hockey trade where they swap star players, and it would be understandable with both teams underperforming.

I would not re-acquire Karlsson, as much as I love him, but I could see how the opportunity to change the narrative on this season and re-unite two of the most popular figures in franchise history would be enticing for ownership and management. Especially down the stretch with ticket sales and interest likely in the toilet.
Oh boy. I mean, I'd love it, but thems fighting words to some around here.

I do think he's got plenty positive to bring, and never thought much of the internal personality issues some do, so if the right hockey move could be made, why not.
They are way too old. Can barely move and Malkin is not 1C anymore which means they have only 1 top line now. Unless Malkin gets hot Stanley cup or even playoffs might be a pipe dream.

Karlsson is not the problem but he also isn't young enough to carry teams anymore, but he sure as hell can still get his team to play cerebral possession hockey.

What is a young team with great legs who have no idea how to play cerebral hockey? Lol

Chychrun-Karlsson imo would be a great pairing that makes them both better.

Chychrun if he had to focus on d and shooting instead of playmaking would be much more effective player. He's a great skater and pretty good physically. Karlsson can focus on playmaking. Both players focus on what makes them good. = Good things and good pairing.
Ya, Malkin dropping so hard is a problem to their whole hierarchy there. Karlsson, Crosby and Letang sound like the least of their issues. From my brief research, a lot of the rest of the team has been pointed at and numbers support Karlsson as a positive while on the ice. Apparently a lot of their secondary core and depth players are a problem.

Maybe that Chabot for Karlsson deal can be on the table now lol.

Reactions: Agent Zuuuub

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I barely speak French. So didn't try to read that.

But Pittsburgh is definitely going to make Karlsson available with retention. And I guarantee you a Staios and Alfredsson led management will enquire.

Might finally get some championship mentality up in this.
He’s been a winner everywhere he’s been.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I have wondered for some time how the imbalance of LD vs. RD will work out and made that comment a few times during the summer. And I wondered out loud during the pre-trade Chychrun discussions as well as Chychrun was ostensibly being viewed as a RD by some although historical data said otherwise.
Thanks to injuries to Chabot, we really haven't had that imbalance of LD, vs RD,
I think he will, eventually, but probably not next year.

The upper cap limit for Ottawa next year will be $88.375M (including the credit from White's buyout).

Currently, we have just over $75M of cap hits for next season. Assuming Pinto gets anywhere from $2.5-3M for next year, we'll have ~$10M of space, with only 2 roster spots to fill. And I bet Crookshank takes one of them.

Staios and Andlauer seem like pretty methodical people. I doubt they're going to go out and sign a top-end UFA or make a splashy trade where they add a significant salary in the same offseason that they need to find and integrate the next GM and coach.
75 mil is for a 16 man roster though, so 79 once you add crook and Pinto, still have 5 spots to fill,

So say 4 at ~1 mil that leaves 5 to fill Tanks spot or maybe we upgrade RD.

I don't think it's hard for this team to quickly become a cap team next year

Reactions: DrEasy

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Commitment to win games is the most important trait.

Karlssons commitment to wins got us more wins than anyone on the current roster, and it's not even close.
Eh, the biggest issue I had with Karlsson is his level of commitment to playing winning hockey was very inconsistent, particularly in the reg season.

Loved him come playoffs though.

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
Eh, the biggest issue I had with Karlsson is his level of commitment to playing winning hockey was very inconsistent, particularly in the reg season.

Loved him come playoffs though.

i mean we all know how difficult it is to carry teams now.

stutzle, sanderson, and brady together can't do it, let alone with all the other help they have. they are choking in November,

and Karlsson was inconsistent only after injuries.

and still game to game consistency those guys do not touch ek say in 2016 or 2017

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
i mean we all know how difficult it is to carry teams now.

stutzle, sanderson, and brady together can't do it, let alone with all the other help they have. they are choking in November,
Not really the point.
and Karlsson was inconsistent only after injuries.

and still game to game consistency those guys do not touch ek say in 2016 or 2017
Lol, bull. You lose all credibility when you post things that are so blantently untrue. Karlsson was notoriously uneven in his defensive efforts from the moment he entered the league, he was still great since his talent allowed him to turn it up and outscore his mistakes if it came to that but you're rewriting history by suggesting he was consistently playing a winning brand of hockey.

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
Not really the point.

Lol, bull. You lose all credibility when you post things that are so blantently untrue. Karlsson was notoriously uneven in his defensive efforts from the moment he entered the league, he was still great since his talent allowed him to turn it up and outscore his mistakes if it came to that but you're rewriting history by suggesting he was consistently playing a winning brand of hockey.

effort? i think you're thinking defensive performance.

young pre-injury Karlsson would bust ass defensively, literally use any excuse to show off his skating. he was weak, he could puck watch, but he never cheated us of effort pre injury. after he was definitely more selective.

and every defenceman who goes to play in the NHL as teenager will be defensively inconsistent, let alone one who pushed play like Karlsson.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
effort? i think you're thinking defensive performance.

young pre-injury Karlsson would bust ass defensively, literally use any excuse to show off his skating. he was weak, he could puck watch, but he never cheated us of effort pre injury. after he was definitely more selective.

and every defenceman who goes to play in the NHL as teenager will be defensively inconsistent, let alone one who pushed play like Karlsson.
You clearly are only remembering what you want to. Yeah, he'd bust his ass to get back if he turned over a puck, but he'd also get caught daydreaming like his controller was disconnected in zone and look completely disinterested at times. That's not being committed to playing winning hockey,

Reactions: DJB

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
You clearly are only remembering what you want to. Yeah, he'd bust his ass to get back if he turned over a puck, but he'd also get caught daydreaming like his controller was disconnected in zone and look completely disinterested at times. That's not being committed to playing winning hockey,

you think the puck watching was because lack of effort i don't think so.

it was just a bug in his game. no player is perfect.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I wonder when we'll start hearing rumblings about Chychrun and contract negotiations.

Is he wanting to stay here?
Is ownership ready to add yet another long-term, high AAV contract, amid this disaster of a season?

If you can't sign him by the deadline, I think you have to move him. At 4.6M AAV this year and next, he'd be very attractive to a team in the middle of their window, like Vegas or Dallas. And if you were willing to retain some? You'd get an even better price.

Besides, we need more balance on D (having all of Sanderson, Chabot and Chychrun is probably not a recipe for success).

I'd love to get Kaeden Korczak out of Vegas alongside a pick or two. Big, rangy, RD who's a defence first guy.

I wouldn't be surprised if the team is starting to sour on him. For a guy built like a bull, his physical game has been uninspiring. I get he has a long list of injuries, but....damn. Hit something once in a while.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
If the team wants to retool, Chychrun is probably easier to move and get a good return than Chabot.

Things might change with the cap going up, but it might be difficult to get full value for a player signed at 8M for 4 more seasons, who has been up and down the last few years because he has been pushed to play too many minutes on teams with bad defense cores.

The thing is, trading Chychrun doesn't send as much of a message, or really change the core. He has been a Senator for less than a year. Tkachuk, Norris, Stutzle, Chabot, Batherson, etc - those are the players who have been around the entire time. Trading one of them sends a real message and depending on who they bring in to replace them, might change the complexion of the group.

Reactions: Crosside and DrEasy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad