Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Doubt it happens in season but if we miss the playoffs (and it’s looking like it), this could be a ‘shakeup’ type of move that the sens could make. Has to be Chabot or chychrun going the other way though. My preference is Chabot only because he’s been here the longest and a message likely needs to be sent (plus he’s more derivative with karlsson and Sanderson in the fold)

Bringing back a larger than life former captain would undermine the leadership group they built. Especially if Chabot goes the other way. It would be a big FU to the current core, which would either be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on where their mindset is, and whether you think that kind of kick in the ass could shape them into a better group.

Basically, voting one of them off the island, and then bringing in someone to compete for capital as a leader in the room.

People will bring up Giroux, but I don't think it's the same as bringing in Giroux, because Giroux didn't have the baggage of being the top guy here before. There was also no direct subtraction from the core to bring in Giroux.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Regardless of where you stand on the guy, he did win the Norris last year. Here's what I could find regarding the standards for that trophy...

The James Norris Memorial Trophy is presented annually to the defenseman who demonstrates the greatest all-around ability in his position.

Apparently, he's the first guy since Lidstrom to win 3 of these puppies!?!? Here is the link to the list for those unaware.

In 2015-16 they put in the wrong name. Says "Drew Doughty". No clue what that's about.

Reactions: Cosmix

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
Bringing back a larger than life former captain would undermine the leadership group they built. Especially if Chabot goes the other way. It would be a big FU to the current core, which would either be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on where their mindset is, and whether you think that kind of kick in the ass could shape them into a better group.

Basically, voting one of them off the island, and then bringing in someone to compete for capital as a leader in the room.

People will bring up Giroux, but I don't think it's the same as bringing in Giroux, because Giroux didn't have the baggage of being the top guy here before. There was also no direct subtraction from the core to bring in Giroux.

what kind of losers are they if bringing in a good player who has shown us how badly he wants to win would undermine the leadership?

i mean just that we have to think that shows you how fragile and mentally weak this core is.

bashbros32

Jan 12, 2014
Brockville, Ontario
Injuries happen. That’s why you build cheap depth

I don't think you trade Chabot until you see how he performs under the new coaching staff... and hopefully with hella less TOI/GP...

and Chychrun is 4.6M for this year and next and is pacing for damn near 70 points currently... also a hometown boy who will likely take less than market to stay... that and add the cap going up over the next few years and all the money coming off the books... there is no need to trade either.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
I didn't mind Simmer even though he does have an ego. I just appreciate host's who go against the grain to illicit real tangible conversation instead of waving the teams pom poms.

I thought Simmer was a funny dude, and still wish him all the best. But his ego prevents him from walking back any of his bad takes - and he's so sure he's right that he doesn't give himself any wiggle room to play with. And then he just pretends like it never happened (until it becomes convenient for him to mention it again if/when the pendulum swings in his favor again).

He doesn't watch any hockey other than the Senators (and the leagues highlights) like a true pro analyst like Dave Poulin or Mike Johnson does. And you could honestly tell that having to watch the Sens games seemed like more of a chore for him than anything, and that he almost resented his situation in life.

Reactions: NB613

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Regardless of where you stand on the guy, he did win the Norris last year. Here's what I could find regarding the standards for that trophy...

The James Norris Memorial Trophy is presented annually to the defenseman who demonstrates the greatest all-around ability in his position.

Apparently, he's the first guy since Lidstrom to win 3 of these puppies!?!? Here is the link to the list for those unaware.

In 2015-16 they put in the wrong name. Says "Drew Doughty". No clue what that's about.
Quite a few Voters (including a dumb as a stump named Dreger) screwed up the Norris voting in 2015-16!

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Leave it to Kypreos to find a way to throw shade on Ottawa.

The article doesn't include the original quote. You should take it with a grain of salt given you did not hear the original radio piece yourself.

Those write-ups usually aim to generate clicks. If Kypreos said "I would think that Ottawa might explore trading Chychrun, Chabot is going to be difficult to move, and they have too many left-hand defensemen" that gets written up as "Ottawa putting Chychrun on the trade block?", not as "Kypreos speculates that Ottawa should consider trading Chychrun at the deadline" because the former generates more clicks.

With the above said, it shouldn't be surprising either way if they do shop him. Chabot might be impossible to move with his contract. There is no guarantee Chychrun stays with a basement team that as of now looks to possibly be in need of a major re-tool.

Even with how excited he was to come to his hometown, he spent his entire career on a non-playoff team. He may want to finally move to a contender.

He was also the big acquisition of the former GM. With a new GM coming in this summer, they may feel the need to give him some flexibility with both cap and assets to re-tool the team in the image of his choice. Moving Chychrun would get them long-term cap by proxy through not re-signing him, and it would also get them multiple 1st and 2nd round picks that they could use to re-tool with this summer.

With the cap going up, and Chychrun almost a point per game as a top pairing D, in a worst-case scenario to re-sign him, you're looking at 9.5M x 8 years with an NMC and signing bonuses. This isn't to say they shouldn't or won't keep him at that number, but with all of the above considered, it shouldn't be a big shock if they shop him at the deadline or in the summer. They clearly need to make changes.

Reactions: NB613

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
Karlsson wasn't even that good in the last game we played them but the way he played is something this team badly needs.

He was able to systematically drive possession not by any individual play but by subtly QBing the play and putting his teammates in positions to succeed. He is like an on ice coach out there.

The pairing of Karlsson-Graves had 23 shot attempts to 6 shot attempts against. Corsi of 80 percent and a expected goals of 93 percent.

This was a mediocre Karlsson game but still we got absolutely dominated when he was on.

Now imagine Karlsson playing with Chychrun and feeding Stutzle in stride, sending one timer passes to Norris and putting in pucks for Brady to deflect. With depth like Batherson-Greig-Pinto-Joseph.

That would be an elite team that would have made the playoffs last year, this year, and next year.

Also im not saying Karlsson doesn't have flaws he definitely does especially at this age. His legs aren't what they used to be but our team if anything is legs, and while our legs are fine this team has no idea how to play slow.

So this team can cover up Karlsson's worst weakness while Karlsson can help with this teams worst weakness.

The benefits far outweigh the negatives.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Karlsson wasn't even that good in the last game we played them but the way he played is something this team badly needs.

He was able to systematically drive possession not by any individual play but by subtly QBing the play and putting his teammates in positions to succeed. He is like an on ice coach out there.

The pairing of Karlsson-Graves had 23 shot attempts to 6 shot attempts against. Corsi of 80 percent and a expected goals of 93 percent.

This was a mediocre Karlsson game but still we got absolutely dominated when he was on.

Now imagine Karlsson playing with Chychrun and feeding Stutzle in stride, sending one timer passes to Norris and putting in pucks for Brady to deflect. With depth like Batherson-Greig-Pinto-Joseph.

That would be an elite team that would have made the playoffs last year, this year, and next year.

Also im not saying Karlsson doesn't have flaws he definitely does especially at this age. His legs aren't what they used to be but our team if anything is legs, and while our legs are fine this team has no idea how to play slow.

So this team can cover up Karlsson's worst weakness while Karlsson can help with this teams worst weakness.

The benefits far outweigh the negatives.
Apply for a front office job Zub. You've got this thing all figured out.

Karlsson in. Tkachuk out.

You got this.

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
Apply for a front office job Zub. You've got this thing all figured out.

Karlsson in. Tkachuk out.

You got this.

Na it's Karlsson in Chabot out.

Brady was only if we could get Rantanen or Draisaitl (2 big body 50 goal 100+ point playoff monsters aka we plainly get better), which isn't really realistic.

Karlsson in Chabot out is very realistic and I'm sure will make for an interesting summer.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Na it's Karlsson in Chabot out.

Brady was only if we could get Rantanen or Draisaitl (2 big body 50 goal 100+ point playoff monsters aka we plainly get better), which isn't really realistic.

Karlsson in Chabot out is very realistic and I'm sure will make for an interesting summer.
In the event that we have to choose between Chychrun or Chabot (for Karlsson, or any other player), I'm picking Chychrun only if he signs for $7 million long term. He's too injury prone and not as good as Chabot 5on5 to warrant a salary above that. Could change under JM.

Reactions: Sen sational

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
In the event that we have to choose between Chychrun or Chabot (for Karlsson, or any other player), I'm picking Chychrun only if he signs for $7 million long term. He's too injury prone and not as good as Chabot 5on5 to warrant a salary above that. Could change under JM.
I prefer Chabot to Chychrun as well, but I have a feeling Chychrun wasn't utilized properly or maybe he needs some coaching to figure out how to fit in with this team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad