Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
If Tank’s family loves it here, and he settles in with Norris and Brady, I could see him staying.

Depends on if he wants to settle and build with the team, or straight up Merc to a cup.

I like him though, good star vet to add to the group. You can see he talks a lot in the bench to the kids too.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Mike Reilly is an interesting name.

Going through most teams depth charts.

PO Joseph from Pitt would be an interesting project
Ben Gleason from Edmonton. He played 3 years for the Hamilton Bulldogs
Robert Bertuzzo is a big RD.
Jani Hakanpaa from Dallas
Connor Carrick from Seattle
Cal Foote from New Jersey

PO Joseph would obviously be a great story due to his brother playing here, but I don't think Pittsburgh has the depth at the bottom of their lineup to the point where they will want to move a defenseman.

I also think the Sens prefer a veteran. I don't think they want to fill a role where they will have to work with and develop someone. They have enough projects. Similar to Minnesota acquiring Bogosian.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
If Tank’s family loves it here, and he settles in with Norris and Brady, I could see him staying.

Depends on if he wants to settle and build with the team, or straight up Merc to a cup.

I like him though, good star vet to add to the group. You can see he talks a lot in the bench to the kids too.

Dorion was the one who originally offered him the long-term contract. He is now gone.

While Tarasenko has been a great addition, we have greater needs than to retain him at what he will likely cost. He is not the superstar he was a few years ago. He is effective as a secondary scorer, but he isn't going to get top PP minutes here, and there is always the risk that he will decline with age.

Greig looking like the real deal and Joseph finding his game makes it a lot easier to move on from Tarasenko. When Dorion signed Tarasenko, he was in the process of trying to push Joseph out of a moving car, and while expectations were high for Greig he hadn't shown last season what he did this season prior to getting hurt.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Dorion was the one who originally offered him the long-term contract. He is now gone.

While Tarasenko has been a great addition, we have greater needs than to retain him at what he will likely cost. He is not the superstar he was a few years ago. He is effective as a secondary scorer, but he isn't going to get top PP minutes here, and there is always the risk that he will decline with age.

Greig looking like the real deal and Joseph finding his game makes it a lot easier to move on from Tarasenko. When Dorion signed Tarasenko, he was in the process of trying to push Joseph out of a moving car, and while expectations were high for Greig he hadn't shown last season what he did this season prior to getting hurt.
I don’t think we have a single decent RW prospect at the moment or someone who’s even close to playing. I think Greig will take kubaliks spot next year. Brannstrom likely out for kleven.

We willl have a tiny bit of cash for tarasenko IF he really wants to stay

Reactions: NB613

Dionysus

Oct 7, 2007
Around the bend
A pending UFA for a team in the bottom of their division just doesn't make sense. I'd like to see the team turn it around before I'd be interested in paying assets for a UFA likely to walk. As much as I like Zadorov, it's just not the play for this team unless the plan is to re-sign him, which is still risky.

Agreed. If he was a RD, maybe. No chance they bring in another LD. Would be a waste.

Good physical player, but he is exposed frequently. Batherson made him look silly on Chartier's goal.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
I don’t think we have a single decent RW prospect at the moment or someone who’s even close to playing. I think Greig will take kubaliks spot next year. Brannstrom likely out for kleven.

We willl have a tiny bit of cash for tarasenko IF he really wants to stay

Unless Pinto switches to wing, someone would have to play on their off wing.

We already have 8 of the 9 players for the top 9: Stutzle, Tkachuk, Norris, Giroux, Batherson, Joseph, Greig, and Pinto.

If Tarasenko and Kubalik both walk, we likely need to look to a trade or free agency to add someone else. The point is that Greig breaking out and Pinto added to the lineup means that we only need to plug in 1 top 9 forward next season, not 2. If we were in a scenario where we had two open spots in the top 9, then it becomes more tempting to overpay in term or dollar to keep Tarasenko.

Trade Tarasenko at the deadline. Because of trade protection, he probably doesn't get a huge return. Maybe a 2nd or 3rd round pick. Then take that pick and use it on his cost-controlled replacement during the week leading up to July 1st when trade prices for players are at their lowest. For example, Pittsburgh got Smith for a 3rd.

You will say, why not just keep Tarasenko. If you keep Tarasenko you probably have to commit to 3-4 years of term. If you acquire a veteran, you can acquire someone with less term and a more favourable AAV than what Tarasenko will get.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Unless Pinto switches to wing, someone would have to play on their off wing.

We already have 8 of the 9 players for the top 9: Stutzle, Tkachuk, Norris, Giroux, Batherson, Joseph, Greig, and Pinto.

If Tarasenko and Kubalik both walk, we likely need to look to a trade or free agency to add someone else. The point is that Greig breaking out and Pinto added to the lineup means that we only need to plug in 1 top 9 forward next season, not 2. If we were in a scenario where we had two open spots in the top 9, then it becomes more tempting to overpay in term or dollar to keep Tarasenko.

Trade Tarasenko at the deadline. Because of trade protection, he probably doesn't get a huge return. Maybe a 2nd or 3rd round pick. Then take that pick and use it on his cost-controlled replacement during the week leading up to July 1st when trade prices for players are at their lowest. For example, Pittsburgh got Smith for a 3rd.

You will say, why not just keep Tarasenko. If you keep Tarasenko you probably have to commit to 3-4 years of term. If you acquire a veteran, you can acquire someone with less term and a more favourable AAV than what Tarasenko will get.
I think Jarventie will push for a top 9 spot next year.

Doesn't Tarasenko have a full no trade clause?

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
J

i don’t much care about what Dorion wanted or didn’t want. It’s complete speculation that he was trying hard to move Joseph, rendered even more of a dubious rumour now that we know the team was aware of Pinto’s potential situation before camp.

Regardless, I’m saying that I like Tank for what he is and what he costs and would open to keeping him for more seasons at a similar cost. Him wanting much more is again just speculation at this point.

Grieg is a rookie and I’d like him to be healthy and in the line up, but he isn’t competing for a spot with Tank at this point. we have money and space to have all of Tank, Grieg, Joseph, and Pinto in the lineup, and don’t have any glaring holes that need filling beyond depth.

Tank proved a few things that this team absolutely needs: cup winning veteran presence (key player in that team), experienced secondary scoring both on the PP and at ES, can play in any line and has been responsible in all zones.

If he keeps up his current play I’m happy with keeping him.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Agreed. If he was a RD, maybe. No chance they bring in another LD. Would be a waste.

Good physical player, but he is exposed frequently. Batherson made him look silly on Chartier's goal.
Ya the LD thing could be a factor.

I can't say I'm concerned with his play though. I've watched too much Calgary the last few years and he's as steady as they come imo. Everyone gets walked a few times a year. Lol maybe he was confused Batherson actually put in a solid effort for a moment?

Reactions: Dionysus

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
I think Jarventie will push for a top 9 spot next year.

Doesn't Tarasenko have a full no trade clause?

He has a full NTC.

I am assuming a trade would be considered as mutually beneficial if an extension is not in the cards and the Senators are not in a playoff position. He is a UFA, so going to a contender gives him a chance to boost his value by being part of a playoff run.

Obviously, there is no guarantee he would be open to a trade. He may want to finish the year in Ottawa for other reasons.

I don't think the Senators would get a lot back for him because of the NTC. Probably a 2nd or a 3rd with maybe another small piece. I don't think they get a 1st like St.Louis got for him last year.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Tarasenko and Brannstrom are highly unlikely to be around next year.
It's possible but for forwards we can take the kubalik money and use it towards extending tarasenko

On defense kleven hasn't shown yet that he is worth handing the third pairing spot. Plus a high chance that we buy out Hamonic

Don't know if we want to be replacing two defenseman the same offseason

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
My guess is that Tarasenko will explore the free agency market again this summer. He signed with Ottawa after not getting a good $, multi-year contract in free agency this past summer. He circled back to Ottawa so he could get the best $ amount he could on a one-year so he could give it another whirl this upcoming summer.

It doesn't mean that it's impossible for the Senators to sign Tarasenko. But, if its likely going to take a "market rate" contract, and if Tarasenko is looking for term which I'd guess he will be, I'm not sure the Senators will be where he lands.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bileur

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
It's possible but for forwards we can take the kubalik money and use it towards extending tarasenko

On defense kleven hasn't shown yet that he is worth handing the third pairing spot. Plus a high chance that we buy out Hamonic

Don't know if we want to be replacing two defenseman the same offseason
Klevin looks very close so it’s fairly safe to assume he is on the roster next year.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I think JBD has been getting better every game this season, but he needs some man strength and he could be a solid defender in my opinion.

I don’t think his decision making is as bad as some are saying, I think he just can’t absorb the hits and physicality to make his next play like he wants to in most cases.

The boy needs to hit the gym in a serious way. Personally I see that UND defence all over his game.

Dionysus

Oct 7, 2007
Around the bend
I think JBD has been getting better every game this season, but he needs some man strength and he could be a solid defender in my opinion.

I don’t think his decision making is as bad as some are saying, I think he just can’t absorb the hits and physicality to make his next play like he wants to in most cases.

The boy needs to hit the gym in a serious way. Personally I see that UND defence all over his game.

Just needs to move the puck a bit quicker. Has been looking much more confident at the NHL level lately though which is nice to see.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
The biggest thing they need to figure out this off season is Chychrun. They have a problem with 3 of their top 4 being LHD, and none being particularly good on their offside. So they either need to acquire a RHD who alongside Zub can play with those 3 LHD, or they need to balance out the D by trading one of Chychrun or Chabot, not Sanderson since he plays a different role than those two.

I would rather they take that 11M of cap flexibility and add a RHD with part of it. But if Chychrun isn't open to re-signing, or wants to play out the season, that makes the decision for them. I'd like to think he will want to re-sign here due to how excited he was to come here, but he also has spent his entire career on a team that was mostly in the basement, so he might be reticent to commit to this team that has not shown enough forward progress towards getting out of the basement.

If they acquire a RHD, I am not saying any of those 3 should never play on their offside, but there is a difference between slotting in on the offside a few minutes a night or in specific situations vs most of the ES minutes they play. I don't think they would acquire a superstar RHD, probably a mid-pairing type who is complimentary to Chychrun and Chabot.

Maybe they will luck out and JBD will cement himself in that role, but I am not sure I see it.

Reactions: NB613

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
He has a full NTC.

I am assuming a trade would be considered as mutually beneficial if an extension is not in the cards and the Senators are not in a playoff position. He is a UFA, so going to a contender gives him a chance to boost his value by being part of a playoff run.

Obviously, there is no guarantee he would be open to a trade. He may want to finish the year in Ottawa for other reasons.

I don't think the Senators would get a lot back for him because of the NTC. Probably a 2nd or a 3rd with maybe another small piece. I don't think they get a 1st like St.Louis got for him last year.
I don't think he's movable at all. He has the full NTC. He has a young family that's settled. He's won a cup, there's no need to chase. He's not going anywhere unless he agrees with it and I suspect he won't agree.

If he likes it here, maybe he signs on for a few years at a decent AAV. I'd be fine with that

Reactions: LiseL and Loach

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
I don't think he's movable at all. He has the full NTC. He has a young family that's settled. He's won a cup, there's no need to chase. He's not going anywhere unless he agrees with it and I suspect he won't agree.

If he likes it here, maybe he signs on for a few years at a decent AAV. I'd be fine with that
It looks like he is enjoying himself, especially when he was playing with Ridly. It wouldn't suprise me if he did a 2 or 3 year deal. Giroux might do another 2 as well. When can Giroux do an extention? After Jan first or is it the summer?

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013
Chabot to Calgary for Zadorov (as long as Z agrees to 4yr+ deal, cuz he's upcoming UFA).

We now have better D so Chabby is expendable...time to move on imo. Sell Flames on the idea that Chabby is the new #1D they need!

Last edited:

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
I’d love to move Chabot and previously I’ve said there was no chance of it happening under Dorion. Well Dorion is gone so at least the possibility exists now.

I’d much rather keep Chych.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad