Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Didn't you know, Chabot is the new whipping boy, this generations Spezza.
Probably the same people who were ready to pack Joseph's bags and drive him out of town before the preseason even started.

I try to keep saying it every time I see this come up but you just don't trade guys who skate like Chabot and Joseph.

Reactions: Dionysus

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
Probably the same people who were ready to pack Joseph's bags and drive him out of town before the preseason even started.

I try to keep saying it every time I see this come up but you just don't trade guys who skate like Chabot and Joseph.
Context man. People wanted to trade him to fit in Pinto. He was also abysmal last season, so it made him an easy target. I'm glad he has bounced back, and I'm sure no one wants to trade him now.

Last edited:

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Playoff game - must win. Can only play one of the two.
Who are you playing, chabot or zub?

I argue that chabot is our 4th best dman. (At least until we find out if a new coach can help him significantly)
I don’t think you can answer that question without context. On this current team I’d take Zub, on a team with a bunch of steady D that don’t generate offence then it’s Chabot all day.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I don’t think you can answer that question without context. On this current team I’d take Zub, on a team with a bunch of steady D that don’t generate offence then it’s Chabot all day.
Ok so you agree on this team he’s number 4.
That’s not good for chabot with his contract.
Basically we’re saying we need to trade him.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Definitely true that we're better off with Chabot than without but in my view he's also the 3rd best LD. I'd prefer to move him for a competent RD.

Joseph looking good.

LiseL

Sponsor
Sep 25, 2023
That's not the reason Chara left. The Senators could only sign one of either Wade Redden or Chara and made the choice to sign Redden. Not signing Chara turned out to be a huge mistake and he became a free agent..
I don't remember where I read or heard it, but Hossa and Chara were close and Chara was pissed at how they treated Hossa. Redden and Chara both stated at the time they would give a home discount to remain competitive, which Redden did, but Chara never received an offer from Ottawa. It just seems too coincidental that Chara was upset about the Hossa deal and is then not even presented an offer. We will never know what happened behind closed doors.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Ok so you agree on this team he’s number 4.
That’s not good for chabot with his contract.
Basically we’re saying we need to trade him.
I’m saying that a trade might make sense after the season if we are reshaping our roster.

Reactions: Icelevel

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
In my opinion we simply don’t need to trade Chabot to free up money. We don’t need to reallocate money to the lower pairings and lines; we already have enough money to spend on those players.

The way we have been able to sign all of our stars to around 8 mill means that we have an extra chunk that other teams don’t have access to to keep an extra star player at 8.

We could literally sign everyone for next season, including Tank, and be under the camp with a full deep roster.

You can’t really have guys on the fourth line making 4-5 million because they don’t play enough, so we’re much better off having 3 star defenders making 8, one making 5, and the bottom pairing making bottom pairing money.

Same with the forwards. We have a solid top 9 with good distribution of salary dollars on each line, and we have some rookies and toughness to fill out the fourth line.

Chabot isn’t a luxury, or a salary that needs redistribution, he is a star player that makes our D so much deeper.

If we roll with three solid pairings with each star LD paired with a much cheaper defensive defender we’ll be rolling.

Just my two cents.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Context man. People wanted to trade him to fit in Pinto. He was also abysmal last season so it made him the easy target. Glad he has bounced back though and I'm sure no one wants to trade him now.
Which makes the urge to move him even more perplexing. Even if you wanted to trade a premium skating two-way forward like him, you wouldn't do it at the absolute bottom of his value. Some things just don't make sense regardless of how much context you use. Trading Chabot is another one of those things.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
Which makes the urge to move him even more perplexing. Even if you wanted to trade a premium skating two-way forward like him, you wouldn't do it at the absolute bottom of his value. Some things just don't make sense regardless of how much context you use. Trading Chabot is another one of those things.
I never wanted to move Joseph for the sake of moving him. I just understand why others were quick to point him out as the odd man out to fit in with Pinto. I personally would have rather flipped Kubalik to fit in Pinto. I also agree and hate the idea of moving any player to the bottom of their value. Moving Chabot makes sense if he is moved for the right package or player(s). Again, I would rather keep Chabot since, when he's playing at the top of his game, he is very valuable. Chabot is currently the "whipping" boy because of his contract and poor play, combined with Sanderson and Chychrun being better than he is on the left side.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The big thing about people wanting to move Joseph was more about what was the least bad option.

Move Brannstrom who we don't really have a great option to replace, Kubalik who we just traded for and gives our top 9 some real depth, or Joseph who appeared to be overpaid.

I was against moving Joseph because I thought he was important to our PK, but it's not like there was any clearly best option.

Reactions: Relapsing

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
The "What's context?" post was a joke and when you answered with stuff..well ...I didn't know what to say. Lol
I don't know how asking me what's context is a joke. So I guess I missed the joke?

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I don't know how asking me what's context is a joke. So I guess I missed the joke?
You said ‘context matters’ in response to another poster, Loach sarcastically said ‘what’s context?’.

You then answers the sarcastic question which rendered the joke moot, so he was left with nothing left to do but thank you for your service.

:)

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Forsberg to Colorado for a late round pick.

Frees up cap space, Colorado gets a better goalie to replace the one that is done for the season.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Unfortunately I just don't see any alternative other than trading Chabot. They need his money next year so they can carry a real NHL roster to handle injuries. They need his money to sign Pinto. They'll need his money to extend Chychrun. They need his money for another top 4 RD who can play a shut down role.

I think a deal around Chabot leaving and Tanev coming back is what this organization should he looking at. Seeing how important Zub is to this team just shows how they need a similar player. Solid stay at home RD who make less than 5 million who can eat minutes basically don't exist. It has to be the most sought after position in hockey.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I don't disagree that Chabot is the odd man out but with Chychrun not extended and no GM, we really shouldn't be in any hurry to do this.

There may come a time to pull the trigger on a Chabot trade but I don't think it will be this season.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
The reason people wanted Joseph gone had more to do with Pinto and not Joseph. Not that he was just a whipping boy.
The reason was that Pinto performed very well during the 2022-23 season and cap dollars were needed to sign him, whereas Joseph did not perform very well nor consistent with his salary during the 2022-23 season and his salary savings if traded was sufficient to sign Pinto with a bit to spare for injury callups.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I don't disagree that Chabot is the odd man out but with Chychrun not extended and no GM, we really shouldn't be in any hurry to do this.

There may come a time to pull the trigger on a Chabot trade but I don't think it will be this season.
No chance we move Chabot in season. After the season the management will start making moves to shape the roster to fit the style they want. They will have a clear idea whether they will/can re-sign Chychrun, so what do they want for their D composition. My personal opinion is that they will want more size and balance which will lead to filling out around Sanderson, Chychrun, Zub and Klevin. I’m not saying this is the right or wrong direction, simply what I think they will do.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Unfortunately I just don't see any alternative other than trading Chabot. They need his money next year so they can carry a real NHL roster to handle injuries. They need his money to sign Pinto. They'll need his money to extend Chychrun. They need his money for another top 4 RD who can play a shut down role.

I think a deal around Chabot leaving and Tanev coming back is what this organization should he looking at. Seeing how important Zub is to this team just shows how they need a similar player. Solid stay at home RD who make less than 5 million who can eat minutes basically don't exist. It has to be the most sought after position in hockey.

I'd wait until a new coach comes in and maybe a solution can be found to keep Chabby in the fold. The Chychrun trade was pretty good on value but didn't make a tonne of sense with Chabot and Sanderson already here. Yet another somewhat puzzling move by the former regime.

I've always been a big fan of Chabot but it's been more than a year now that he's struggled. I'm also really liking Chychrun's game, for the most part.

I'd bet that the new GM will see two players as movable to reshape the core and find cap space: Chabot and Norris. Greig, given his play, could be seen as better value as a #2C than Norris, as could Pinto when he returns. And Chabot has two guys who can clearly fill his role without much (if any) drop off.

I would not do a Chabot for Tanev deal though. I watch a fair bit of Calgary and, IMO, Tanev has begun to decline. He's still a very good player but I don't see him as a long term solution who ftis with our window of contention.

Reactions: NB613

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad