Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Probably the same people who were ready to pack Joseph's bags and drive him out of town before the preseason even started.

I try to keep saying it every time I see this come up but you just don't trade guys who skate like Chabot and Joseph.
Joseph and Chabot are not equivalent. For what he is doing this year Joseph 's salary is in line. Chabot on the other hand is paid about $2 million too much for what he brings to the table.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Joseph and Chabot are not equivalent. For what he is doing this year Joseph 's salary is in line. Chabot on the other hand is paid about $2 million too much for what he brings to the table.
being 2 million overpaid is not bad when you can play at a high level.

I only worry when we over pay bottom feeders. The cap is going to explode. Chabot is not really a problem and is more part of the solution. The 5 million dead cap is more of an issue for us

Reactions: Ice-Tray and OD99

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Show examples of guys who make around $6M AAV and bring "what he brings to the table".

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I'd wait until a new coach comes in and maybe a solution can be found to keep Chabby in the fold. The Chychrun trade was pretty good on value but didn't make a tonne of sense with Chabot and Sanderson already here. Yet another somewhat puzzling move by the former regime.

I've always been a big fan of Chabot but it's been more than a year now that he's struggled. I'm also really liking Chychrun's game, for the most part.

I'd bet that the new GM will see two players as movable to reshape the core and find cap space: Chabot and Norris. Greig, given his play, could be seen as better value as a #2C than Norris, as could Pinto when he returns. And Chabot has two guys who can clearly fill his role without much (if any) drop off.

I would not do a Chabot for Tanev deal though. I watch a fair bit of Calgary and, IMO, Tanev has begun to decline. He's still a very good player but I don't see him as a long term solution who ftis with our window of contention.
You know I agree id like to see him under a new coach. I have debated this with some fellow sens fans quite a bit and there are a few reasons why I dont think they can wait. I believe they may have tried to move him this summer already and there was no takers.

A few reasons why I think they have to do it sooner rather than later. His NTC kicks in at the end of the season. So if there already isnt much of a market for him there probably isn't one at all at that point. A few things holding him back from a value stand point is his real dollars, his inability to stay healthy and he appears to have regressed. Its really a crazy situation when you think about how good he used to be. So if they dont have a new coach soon then the window to try that out closes before he maybe an untradeable piece.

I dont think there is any debate he is clearly the 3rd best of Sanderson and Chyrchun. He's the oldest as well. Chyrchun needs a new deal soon, they arent going to pay 3 left d men 24 to 26 million. So one of them wiill have to switch to the right side. It doesnt appear that any of them are any better on that side. Secondly I think seeing Zub's impact shows the type of player this team truly needs in that last top 4 spot. Its another steady eddie hard to play against player as both Sanderson and Chychrun are great offensive players that likely thrive with a solid RD. I dont think that the sens should be forcing Sanderson or Chyrchurn out of positon considering how well they have playing and how good they both look.

I bring up Tanev in Calgary because he is a UFA. Ottawa can get a good look at him this year and if they think they should extend him they can.

Secondly trading Chabot in a Tanev deal opens up the money to sign Pinto this year and for the sens to have the cap flexibility to run a team properly when they have injuries.

I would hope due to Tanev's UFA status they can pull in some sort of future to go along with Tanev. Calgary is against the cap so there would have to be some sort of money in money out equal trade here. The way I see it is a 3 way deal.

Ottawa gets Tanev + future (from team X)
Calgary gets Chabot
Team X gets Zadorov

Either way the sens have to trade someone to make room for Pinto. They cant operate the way they have been this tight to the cap either. To me this is the solution. The Chabot money wont go to waste either they need it to make room to get another RD next year if Tanev isnt the right fit.

Id honestly do this deal right now if its on the table.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
You know I agree id like to see him under a new coach. I have debated this with some fellow sens fans quite a bit and there are a few reasons why I dont think they can wait. I believe they may have tried to move him this summer already and there was no takers.

A few reasons why I think they have to do it sooner rather than later. His NTC kicks in at the end of the season. So if there already isnt much of a market for him there probably isn't one at all at that point. A few things holding him back from a value stand point is his real dollars, his inability to stay healthy and he appears to have regressed. Its really a crazy situation when you think about how good he used to be. So if they dont have a new coach soon then the window to try that out closes before he maybe an untradeable piece.

I dont think there is any debate he is clearly the 3rd best of Sanderson and Chyrchun. He's the oldest as well. Chyrchun needs a new deal soon, they arent going to pay 3 left d men 24 to 26 million. So one of them wiill have to switch to the right side. It doesnt appear that any of them are any better on that side. Secondly I think seeing Zub's impact shows the type of player this team truly needs in that last top 4 spot. Its another steady eddie hard to play against player as both Sanderson and Chychrun are great offensive players that likely thrive with a solid RD. I dont think that the sens should be forcing Sanderson or Chyrchurn out of positon considering how well they have playing and how good they both look.

I bring up Tanev in Calgary because he is a UFA. Ottawa can get a good look at him this year and if they think they should extend him they can.

Secondly trading Chabot in a Tanev deal opens up the money to sign Pinto this year and for the sens to have the cap flexibility to run a team properly when they have injuries.

I would hope due to Tanev's UFA status they can pull in some sort of future to go along with Tanev. Calgary is against the cap so there would have to be some sort of money in money out equal trade here. The way I see it is a 3 way deal.

Calgary gets Chabot
Team X gets Zadorov

Either way the sens have to trade someone to make room for Pinto. They cant operate the way they have been this tight to the cap either. To me this is the solution. The Chabot money wont go to waste either they need it to make room to get another RD next year if Tanev isnt the right fit.

Idk who we could get back in a trade for Chabot but clearly getting a decent physical RD would be the priority

Chabot being the #3 behind Sanderson and Chychrun, his backloaded contract and the no move clause kicking in next July were all reasons I cited for moving Chabot basically the day we acquired Chychrun.

Chabot has had a rough go the past 1.5 seasons but he does bring a lot to the table when he's going well. It's just my view that balance wise we'd be better with his 8 AAV spent elsewhere give the assets we've got on LD now.

Reactions: Alex1234 and NB613

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
If the right deal could be made, I'd be okay with it, but I would hope we would go into it expecting to replace him and not rely on someone like Brannstrom to be a regular top 4 on the team.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011

Calgary gets Chabot
Team X gets Zadorov

All valid points. I just think Tanev doesn't fit age (and career progression) wise with our group. A 28 year old Tanev? Sign me the F**k up. Unfortunately he's soon to be 34.

As for trying Chabot with a new coach? I agree as well. It's just one of the reasons why the time to replace DJ Smith was June 2022.

Reactions: chipsens and NB613

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
If they trade Chabot, they need a very solid #2-#3 or better RHD coming back, or they need to use the assets from Chabot to acquire one.

Maybe they get to the point where they feel they need to move one of the core in order to send a message and shake things up. Although, that would go against their mandate of not causing chaos.

They aren't going to move Stutzle, Sanderson, or Tkachuk. They may not move Norris due to his personal ties to Tkacuk. Chychrun is still very much "new" here, so moving him doesn't accomplish much, Giroux has a NMC and obviously wouldn't be moved anyways.

That leaves Chabot or Batherson as long-time core members who could be moved to accomplish that. Batherson is one of the few right handed wingers, and if Tarasenko doesn't re-sign, they may not have the depth up front to move Batherson. That really leaves Chabot as the only option if they need to make a big change in order to shake up the team.

I also think there is a slight possibility that he could ask for a trade. If they get an inclination in his exit-interview that he might want out eventually, they need to consider what market there would be for him at the draft while their leverage is at a high point (hasn't asked for at trade, trade protection has not kicked in).

He's been here longer than anybody else and has never played in the playoffs. He seems very invested in this team, but you look at Dorion essentially adding someone who plays a similar role to him and boxing one of them over to the right side, and then just the grind of the rebuild supposedly being over 2 years ago and the team still being in the basement. I don't think it is outlandish to speculate that the team should prepare for the possibility that he could eventually want out.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Chabot will be more than fine, and will slide back in as the #1-2 minute guy for the foreseeable future.
At the expense of who? Chychrun or Sanderson? They have debatably been the teams two best players.
All valid points. I just think Tanev doesn't fit age (and career progression) wise with our group. A 28 year old Tanev? Sign me the F**k up. Unfortunately he's soon to be 34.

As for trying Chabot with a new coach? I agree as well. It's just one of the reasons why the time to replace DJ Smith was June 2022.
Yeah I mean of course... No team trades 28 year old tanev for this version of Chabot though. Look at how many RD can lock it down that make less than 5 million that are legit top 4 d men. Carlo, Manson, Zub, Tanev, Cernak, Anderson, Pesce, Larsson. Thats it.

Chabot unfortunately isnt really a fit with the sens current personel and cap situation. They are in cap hell they need to make room. Its a square peg in a round hole at this point. The sens need Chabots cap space more than anything. Tanev gives the team a good well rounded top 4 for this year then they evaluate after as to who they think fits into the final spot. Chabot as a LD who is not a shut down player doesnt fit.

Idk who we could get back in a trade for Chabot but clearly getting a decent physical RD would be the priority

Chabot being the #3 behind Sanderson and Chychrun, his backloaded contract and the no move clause kicking in next July were all reasons I cited for moving Chabot basically the day we acquired Chychrun.

Chabot has had a rough go the past 1.5 seasons but he does bring a lot to the table when he's going well. It's just my view that balance wise we'd be better with his 8 AAV spent elsewhere give the assets we've got on LD now.

As per my list up top there really arent any real available options. Tanev is the only one and he is on the block and they dont have to commit to him long term.

Yeah you have been stressing this. I wasnt fully convinced until I got to see this sample size of Chychrun. He's the teams MVP and has been a legit top 5 d man in the league through the first two months of the seson. His contract is up in a year at 4.6. I want the sens to sign him, long term I dont see how they do that with Chabots money still around.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
At the expense of who? Chychrun or Sanderson? They have debatably been the teams two best players.

Yeah I mean of course... No team trades 28 year old tanev for this version of Chabot though. Look at how many RD can lock it down that make less than 5 million that are legit top 4 d men. Carlo, Manson, Zub, Tanev, Cernak, Anderson, Pesce, Larsson. Thats it.

Chabot unfortunately isnt really a fit with the sens current personel and cap situation. They are in cap hell they need to make room. Its a square peg in a round hole at this point. The sens need Chabots cap space more than anything. Tanev gives the team a good well rounded top 4 for this year then they evaluate after as to who they think fits into the final spot. Chabot as a LD who is not a shut down player doesnt fit.

As per my list up top there really arent any real available options. Tanev is the only one and he is on the block and they dont have to commit to him long term.

Yeah you have been stressing this. I wasnt fully convinced until I got to see this sample size of Chychrun. He's the teams MVP and has been a legit top 5 d man in the league. His contract is up in a year at 4.6. I want the sens to sign him, long term I dont see how they do that with Chabots money still around.
Chychrun if they need to send someone elsewhere, which they shouldn't be doing.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
If they trade Chabot, they need a very solid #2-#3 or better RHD coming back, or they need to use the assets from Chabot to acquire one.
Chabots value is no where near this unfortunately. I wish it was. There just arent very many RHD available that are any good at a manageable cap hit. They dont need a world beater they need a guy who can play in the top 4 effectively and can play in a shut down physical role. Its the most valuable position in hockey.

Chychrun if they need to send someone elsewhere, which they shouldn't be doing.
Chabot has never in his career played anywhere close to the level Chychrun has this year. Theres just no way this should happen. Demoting Chychrun right now would be detrimental to this team.

Larsson has had a slow start to the season maybe Seattle would be open to a Chabot Larsson trade.

Reactions: chipsens

StoicSensFan

ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ
Feb 6, 2014
Chabot has never in his career played anywhere close to the level Chychrun has this year.
Chabot's performance in the 2017 WJ was insane, 43mins and he looked fresh as a daisy at the end of the game. Chych is playing great, if he can keep this going for the rest of the year then I would agree this tops any of Chabot's NHL seasons. Kind of an unfair comparison though, Chabot's never had a fair chance with a decent roster - I think we're just scratching the surface with him.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Chabot's performance in the 2017 WJ was insane, 43mins and he looked fresh as a daisy at the end of the game. Chych is playing great, if he can keep this going for the rest of the year then I would agree this tops any of Chabot's NHL seasons. Kind of an unfair comparison though, Chabot's never had a fair chance with a decent roster - I think we're just scratching the surface with him.
2017 WJC. I assume you're joking?

Chabot played on the team this year....

Chychurn is doing this no matter who his partner is. Hell he went + 4 with Hamonic.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I don't remember where I read or heard it, but Hossa and Chara were close and Chara was pissed at how they treated Hossa. Redden and Chara both stated at the time they would give a home discount to remain competitive, which Redden did, but Chara never received an offer from Ottawa. It just seems too coincidental that Chara was upset about the Hossa deal and is then not even presented an offer. We will never know what happened behind closed doors.
Chars was offered the same deal as Redden, but turned it down. They couldn’t really offer more, because of cap.

StoicSensFan

ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ
Feb 6, 2014
2017 WJC. I assume you're joking?

Chabot played on the team this year....

Chychurn is doing this no matter who his partner is. Hell he went + 4 with Hamonic.
Not kidding at all, so I guess you meant NHL career when you said 'Chabot has never in his career played anywhere close to the level Chychrun has this year'? I assumed hockey career

I still stand on the decent roster comment though, I think Chabot ends up with more points over the course of a full season - injuries or not.

Last edited:

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Chabots value is no where near this unfortunately. I wish it was. There just arent very many RHD available that are any good at a manageable cap hit. They dont need a world beater they need a guy who can play in the top 4 effectively and can play in a shut down physical role. Its the most valuable position in hockey.

Chabot has never in his career played anywhere close to the level Chychrun has this year. Theres just no way this should happen. Demoting Chychrun right now would be detrimental to this team.

Larsson has had a slow start to the season maybe Seattle would be open to a Chabot Larsson trade.

I don't disagree with you about Chabot's value. I think he will be difficult to move in anything but a hockey trade because of his contract and the way the league works now.

Value isn't a constant thing from team-to-team though. It's possible that there could be another defenseman with a lot of term out there on a team who either likes Chabot better, or feels compelled to make a change.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
being 2 million overpaid is not bad when you can play at a high level.

I only worry when we over pay bottom feeders. The cap is going to explode. Chabot is not really a problem and is more part of the solution. The 5 million dead cap is more of an issue for us
That $2 million you are not worried about covers the difference between having Pinto on the roster instead of Zack MacEwen.

• Haha
Reactions: chipsens

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Chabot will not be hard to move whatsoever if they do choose to move him, which I do not think they will be

Lot's of teams would be more than happy to get a 26 year old for another 4 years at 8 million AAV, especially with the contract being the same as a 7 million dollar guy in the new cap era. Term and age is perfect for teams looking to win.

We're going to be upset when we see Chychrun looking at 10+% of the 92+ million dollar cap in another year

Last edited:

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Not kidding at all, so I guess you meant NHL career when you said 'Chabot has never in his career played anywhere close to the level Chychrun has this year'? I assumed hockey career

I still stand on the decent roster comment though, I think Chabot ends up with more points over the course of a full season - injuries or not.
To be fair , in 2017 Chychrun was younger than Chabot and had 20 points in 68 games playing against men in the NHL

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
That $2 million you are not worried about covers the difference between having Pinto on the roster instead of Zack MacEwen.
so does all the dead cap space

I rather lose Kubalik who when we are healthy is the 9th forward on this team

Reactions: ottawagm

ottawagm

May 6, 2023
so does all the dead cap space

I rather lose Kubalik who when we are healthy is the 9th forward on this team
I'm thinking the Sens just push for him to sign a 1 year league min deal for this year and then follow that up with a 2-3 year deal right afterwards for next year +.

He'll need until Feb to get up to game speed even if he's signed and ready as soon as his suspension is up on Jan. 21. I would tell him we're not going to force move someone for 2 months of your service at this point. If you want to sit the rest of the year, that's up to you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad