Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
I haven't watched any of Karlsson on Pittsburgh outside of our game. I watched a lot of his first season in San Jose before he got hurt. On San Jose, it took him 10 or so games to get situated. Then he exploded and played some of the best hockey of his career prior to getting hurt.

It has always been alleged that he doesn't train hard during the off season. I don't know if that is true, or is still true, but in connection with joining a new system, it would explain why it might have taken him a chunk of games to get going.

San Jose until EK was injured was a wagon. Pens have better top end but worse depth, interesting to watch team, definitely have wagon potential.

I think EK starts slow same reason as Stutzle starts slow, the stuff they attempt the margins are so thin it takes a while to hit their timing. they look dumb until they do, but when they get their timing it is like they see things in slow motion.

that training stuff always sounded like melnyk propaganda. EK has had severe injuries and has bounced back every time. I don't think you do that without being incredibly dedicated to training and a passion for hockey.

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
Sens are in good shape regardless with all the dead cap coming off the books but the cap will increases with the increased revenues over the past years due to the flat cap.... and we have the option of letting tarasenko/kubalik walk and replace them with Greig

If you guys really want to create cap (don't know why we need to) then Norris is the more obvious move
The dead cap, plus some of the cap increase, goes to Sanderson. Next year we can, if I saw things right, swap Pinto for Kubalik and ice the same team with about 2m for back up.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Mantipalo and Guenette won’t be waiver exempt next season.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Ughh EK doing generational EK things, Chabot doing... Chabot things.

We would be a contender with EK on this roster right now.

That was the play.
It was never an option. You're gonna have to let it go. They don't have cap space and he really isn't the type of D man they are missing. It's quite obvious with Zubs impact the type of player they need. Sanderson and Chychrun are both more complete players right now.

I think a trade with Seattle around Chabot for Larsson + is a short and long term resolution. The team will be better now and in the future. They have alot of good prospects. The sens system is bare. Gives the team the ability to sign Pinto and have a couple million for injuries. You imagine adding Pinto and Larsson to this team. Would make them way way better.

Reactions: chipsens

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
It was never an option. You're gonna have to let it go. They don't have cap space and he really isn't the type of D man they are missing. It's quite obvious with Zubs impact the type of player they need. Sanderson and Chychrun are both more complete players right now.

I think a trade with Seattle around Chabot for Larsson + is a short and long term resolution. The team will be better now and in the future. They have alot of good prospects. The sens system is bare. Gives the team the ability to sign Pinto and have a couple million for injuries. You imagine adding Pinto and Larsson to this team. Would make them way way better.
You are talking about impact while talking about a generational talent.

Chychrun-Karlsson
Sanderson-Zub

Pairings aren't what we need?

That isn't a d core that wins one cup, it's how many.

Can you guys imagine Karlsson dishing passes to Chychrun and Norris for their bombs with Brady tipping pucks net front. And following that up with a shift from Stutzle, Sanderson and Zub??

It is video game, dynasty Red Wings, Avs, Penguins, Hawks Stuff.

Reactions: NB613

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
You are talking about impact while talking about a generational talent.

Chychrun-Karlsson
Sanderson-Zub

Pairings aren't what we need?

That isn't a d core that wins one cup, it's how many.

Can you guys imagine Karlsson dishing passes to Chychrun and Norris for their bombs with Brady tipping pucks net front. And following that up with a shift from Stutzle, Sanderson and Zub??

It is video game, dynasty Red Wings, Avs, Penguins, Hawks Stuff.
So just ignored the relevant facts like cap space and the fact that San Jose wanted futures and that deal wasn't on the table. Fantasy land is fun and all but this isn't reality based. Chychrun Karlsson pairing would be incredibke down a goal terrible up a goal. There's only one puck to go around. Don't think we get the best version of Chychrun in that situation either. I'm really sorry you've had to go through this, not getting Karlsson has been pretty tragic.

Reactions: Relapsing

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
So just ignored the relevant facts like cap space and the fact that San Jose wanted futures and that deal wasn't on the table. Fantasy land is fun and all but this isn't reality based. Chychrun Karlsson pairing would be incredibke down a goal terrible up a goal. There's only one puck to go around. Don't think we get the best version of Chychrun in that situation either. I'm really sorry you've had to go through this, not getting Karlsson has been pretty tragic.

That cap space stuff would have been easy.

Yea that happens so often where great team players committed to winning hate playing and suck with each other. Especially since there's only that one puck!

C'mon man.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

With Hanifan likely not re-signing in Calgary maybe a Chabot for Weeger. Alternatively a 3 way trade where Chabot winds up in Calgary or SJ.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
With Hanifan likely not re-signing in Calgary maybe a Chabot for Weeger. Alternatively a 3 way trade where Chabot winds up in Calgary or SJ.
I have thought about this one alot. I really like Weegar as a player but the back end of that contract is ugly. Also doesn't give the sens enough space to sign Pinto and have the cap flexibility to sustain injuries. He's a better player than Larsson and Tanev but from a play style perspective i don't know if he's a better fit. If his contract was even 2 years shorter I'd be into it. It's a good idea.

Reactions: GCK

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
That cap space stuff would have been easy.

Yea that happens so often where great team players committed to winning hate playing and suck with each other. Especially since there's only that one puck!

C'mon man.
What are you taking about. They're already in cap hell that they can't get out of and Karlsson makes 3.5 more than Chabot. They literally need to cut cap. That's a huge reason why Chabot is being traded in the first place.

C'mon man. Leave this dream and come back to the real world. Life moves on. Ek did so can you.

No idea what the next sentence means. But the sens quite clearly need another shut down d man. Hard to imagine anyone watching this team consistently can't see it. Look at he the teams shot suppression with and without Zub and how dominant they look with him. Imagine adding another one. Karlsson is an amazing player but just like Chabot it's not the fit. Look at Vegas. That's the best d core in hockey. They have 2 elite two way puck movers and 4 monsters. That's the blue print.

Thats a deep balanced team that can sustain injuries and beat you anyway. What's amazing about this is carrying 23 guys if they have to and they're still cap compliant.

Joseph Stutzle Giroux
Tkachuk Norris Batherson
Kubalik Grieg Tarasenko
Kelly Pinto Chartier
Smejkal Kastelic Jarventie Macewan Highmore

Chychrun Larsson
Sanderson Zub
Kleven JBD
Brannstrom Hamonic

Korpisalo
Forsberg
Soogard

Last edited:

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I'd much rather give Chabot 25 games under a new coach than trade him for some of the names brought up. I don't think Staois and Andlauer are going to rush into any major moves so maybe it's a moot point.
What if we don’t get a new coach this year ?

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
What if we don’t get a new coach this year ?

Than ride out the year and let the new GM make his own decision in the off-season. We don't even have the people in place to make this type of move yet. Unfortunately this season might be more transitory than the fanbase would have wanted.

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
I am not an advocate for trading Chabot but Chabot for Larsson makes a lot of sense assuming Chychrun and Larsson can both be resigned. He is exactly what the doctor ordered for this team.

Reactions: JD1

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
What do mean by better? A better player than Larsson? More term? Lower AAV?

Here's the problem with Chabot. He's not great defensively. Might not ever be above average. Offensively he's lost his PP job to Sanderson and Chychrun

Currently I'd say his rep exceeds his play. @bert said they tried to move him this summer and there weren't any takers. Neither surprises me.

I understand that we only get to trade him once but we might be getting close to not being able to trade him at all.

We now have better players at what he's good at. Moving him without adding to do so is coming quick

In this case, ideally we would be trading Chabot for a RHD who's some combination of (1) better than Larsson (which is a matter of taste, obviously), (2) fits in with the age of the core, be that entering his prime or younger, and/or (3) has more term left.

I understand Chabot's limitations and how Chychrun has made him somewhat redundant. I never said I disagreed with the premise of a Chabot for RHD swap. I also understand that there's a downside risk to holding onto Chabot too long (see Darnell Nurse, as an example), though I haven't seen this speculation that they couldn't move him over the summer and am skeptical.

I'm just of the opinion that we're better off keeping Chabot and seeing what happens - whether that's improved play of Chabot, or Chychrun being unable to stay healthy, or a better trade partner emerging - than trading him now for Larsson.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Than ride out the year and let the new GM make his own decision in the off-season. We don't even have the people in place to make this type of move yet. Unfortunately this season might be more transitory than the fanbase would have wanted.
Absolutely it’s an offseason move if they decide to really shake things up

What if we get a new coach and nothing changes?
That too.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Ughh EK doing generational EK things, Chabot doing... Chabot things.

We would be a contender with EK on this roster right now.

That was the play.
The play is to get a new coach

people keep going on about changing the defense, How many more quality players does DJ need before we are even half respectable?

Karl makes 11 mill. I would take him back but we are fine with the players we have. We need a better coach

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Here is my spreadsheet for 2024-25 with guesses included.

I guestimated:
Salary Cap up $4M to $87.5M
Pinto at $2M
Kelly at his current salary $0.762,500
Greig at 13th F but he will be a regular player.
Brannstrom Replacement at $2M
Tarasenko Replacement at $0 for now.
Kubalik Replacement at $0 for now.
That leaves about $8M.

1700071058839.png

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa

Loach

Jun 9, 2021

I guestimated:
Pinto at $2M
That leaves about $8M.

View attachment 768630
Keep Grieg in, use Pinto as Kubaliks replacement, bring Tank back a 5m annnnnnd throw/give Aragorn a bone and make Ostapchuk the 13th guy. Whats it look like then?

• Love
Reactions: NB613

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus

I guestimated:
Pinto at $2M
That leaves about $8M.

View attachment 768630

Thanks for this Cosmix, as we are not used to being a cap team we don't have a thread where we can maintain this so we can check that thread for any cap related updates. May be worth having a sticky/thread on this.

Reactions: Loach

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad