Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Chabot will not be hard to move whatsoever if they do choose to move him, which I do not think they will be

Lot's of teams would be more than happy to get a 26 year old for another 4 years at 8 million AAV, especially with the contract being the same as a 7 million dollar guy in the new cap era. Term and age is perfect for teams looking to win.

We're going to be upset when we see Chychrun looking at 10+% of the 92+ million dollar cap in another year
I dont know if this is true. Unfortunately.

Chychruns play right now is of an 8 to 10 million dollar d man. Id take this version of Chyc at 10 over Chabot at 8. Their defensive games are not remotely close, Chychruns size, reach and strength just make him so much harder to play against. Chyc is also way more dangerous offensively his ability to score from distance is incredibly unique.

Not kidding at all, so I guess you meant NHL career when you said 'Chabot has never in his career played anywhere close to the level Chychrun has this year'? I assumed hockey career

I still stand on the decent roster comment though, I think Chabot ends up with more points over the course of a full season - injuries or not.
Chychrun was already in the NHL when Chabot was at the WJC. That also happened 7 years ago playing against under 20's I dont see how its comparable.

Chabots been on this roster at the same time as Chychrun he was even playing with him and wasnt close to makin the same impact at either end of the ice.

But hey maybe he turns it around. Would be a great problem to have. I just dont see it and the clock is ticking. Moving Brannstrom doesnt give the sens enough money to sign Pinto and have roster flexibility. Chabots NTC kicks in at the end of the year.

With Chabot here they still dont have a legit top 4 D as someone plays out of position if they have everyone in the line up.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
so does all the dead cap space

I rather lose Kubalik who when we are healthy is the 9th forward on this team
The dead cap disappears after this year but regardless there is nothing the Sens can do with the dead cap so its irrelevant to mention it. Chabot's salary is for another 4 years after this year and they can trade him tomorrow if they wanted to.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
The cap is going to explode.
I wouldn't be so sure. A huge regional TV network in the US went bankrupt (I should research that, happened last season) and people are spending lessdue to "high" interest rates which will lead to less bums in seats.

I'm not worried, but I'm not sure the cap will rise dramatically (and I think that is a good thing).

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Thoughts on this deal.

To Ottawa: Adam Larsson, David Goyette/Lukas Dragicevic and a 3rd round pick 2024

To Seattle: Thomas Chabot

Reactions: JD1

StoicSensFan

ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ
Feb 6, 2014
I dont know if this is true. Unfortunately.

Chychruns play right now is of an 8 to 10 million dollar d man. Id take this version of Chyc at 10 over Chabot at 8. Their defensive games are not remotely close, Chychruns size, reach and strength just make him so much harder to play against. Chyc is also way more dangerous offensively his ability to score from distance is incredibly unique.

Chychrun was already in the NHL when Chabot was at the WJC. That also happened 7 years ago playing against under 20's I dont see how its comparable.

Chabots been on this roster at the same time as Chychrun he was even playing with him and wasnt close to makin the same impact at either end of the ice.

But hey maybe he turns it around. Would be a great problem to have. I just dont see it and the clock is ticking. Moving Brannstrom doesnt give the sens enough money to sign Pinto and have roster flexibility. Chabots NTC kicks in at the end of the year.

With Chabot here they still dont have a legit top 4 D as someone plays out of position if they have everyone in the line up.
I want Chych to be what you see him as, but he's still a unknown commodity because of his injury issues. I hope he stays at a 10mil dman level, but if he's hurt 30% of the time he won't be worth a contract more than Chabot's. We need this level of defensive depth regardless of their handedness

Reactions: NB613

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Chabot will not be hard to move whatsoever if they do choose to move him, which I do not think they will be

Lot's of teams would be more than happy to get a 26 year old for another 4 years at 8 million AAV, especially with the contract being the same as a 7 million dollar guy in the new cap era. Term and age is perfect for teams looking to win.

We're going to be upset when we see Chychrun looking at 10+% of the 92+ million dollar cap in another year
I think knowing the situation with Chychrun is the trigger on any potential Chabot deal at this point.

Prior to the season starting i would gave done it. Not now though. Various guys have pointed out the possibility of losing both and that's a risk. I think Chychrun stays because he likes it here, but that's a wait and see

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
Thoughts on this deal.

To Ottawa: Adam Larsson, David Goyette/Lukas Dragicevic and a 3rd round pick 2024

For me, that's not nearly enough for the Sens to consider trading Chabot. If this team were in a two year window to contend and Larsson was seen as the perfect complimentary RHD, maybe I could see the argument, but we're not.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
For me, that's not nearly enough for the Sens to consider trading Chabot. If this team were in a two year window to contend and Larsson was seen as the perfect complimentary RHD, maybe I could see the argument, but we're not.
Larsson played almost 24 minutes a night on a playoff bound Seattle team last year. He's a big man and he'd instantly be our most physical D. He's exactly what we need in our top 4.

I doubt Seattle takes the deal Bert offered.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Not even close.
For who?

Larsson played almost 24 minutes a night on a playoff bound Seattle team last year. He's a big man and he'd instantly be our most physical D. He's exactly what we need in our top 4.

Yeah i dunno they're struggling to create offense and Chabot would help. Seems like people are split on it so the value might he close. Larsson is 2 years from UFA.

Seattle has alot of good prospects. Goyette is pretty good. Sens have no prospect depth. Larsson is a very good player that fills a massive team need. Seems like a win win deal.

Last edited:
Reactions: chipsens

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
The reality is that Chabot makes 8M a year and there has been a decline in his play since his sophomore season. If he's not being fed #1 PP minutes, should Sanderson continue to run the top unit, his numbers will probably drop from the 50P/82GP pace he's produced the past two seasons to maybe 40P/82GP.

That would be fine if he was making a positive difference in the defensive zone, but he's been prone to far too many defensive mistakes. It may be the unfortunate by-product of playing way too much in previous seasons, but his his attention to detail and overall effort level is pretty terrible.

I want to see Chabot play under a head coach that actually demands accountability and has a stronger defensive structure in place before trading him, but I am skeptical that Chabot's lazy inattentive play can be coached out of his game. He's probably always going to be a guy that can't be counted on to play mistake free hockey in the defensive zone.

If he's not putting up big numbers (ala Chychrun) and isn't performing well defensively (ala Zub), he's not justifying his contract and therefore should have little value around the league.

This isn't even getting into the plight of offensive defensemen right now. With the new leaguewide PP set-up requiring just 2 defensemen with some talent and puck moving ability, instead of 4 previously, their value has never been lower. Very few teams are missing a PP QB, and those that are don't want one that costs 8M. The teams that could use another offensive D can turn to cheap options like Ghost, Gustafsson, DeAngelo, Klingberg, etc.. who are routinely available for significantly less money.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
being 2 million overpaid is not bad when you can play at a high level.

I only worry when we over pay bottom feeders. The cap is going to explode. Chabot is not really a problem and is more part of the solution. The 5 million dead cap is more of an issue for us
I don[t agree that he is over paid by $2M but I agree that gambling on top end players and having (potentially) a slight overpay is fine.

When you hamstring your team with high averages in the bottom 6 is when you really start to have trouble. As we saw with MJ, those contracts can become albatrosses.

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site

I didn't say Larsson isn't a good player and I didn't say he wouldn't be a good fit on this roster. I'm also not against the basic premise of trading Chabot for a top 4 RHD.

This return - largely due to Larrson's age and the term left on his contract - just isn't good enough for me to pull the trigger on Chabot. We only get to trade Chabot once, and I'm holding out for better.

LiseL

Sponsor
Sep 25, 2023
Chars was offered the same deal as Redden, but turned it down. They couldn’t really offer more, because of cap.
There was an article in the Globe & Mail where Chara's agent stated he didn't receive an offer for same $$ as Redden but there was no guarantee that Chara would've accepted it. The article also stated that Redden was willing to negotiate further to keep Chara.

Also here's the link to a Reddit question where one of the respondents details what Chara said during a TSN 1200 interview.

I have no way of knowing if the info is accurate, just that I knew I had read it somewhere.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Chara had established himself here as a leader on the team. It was often noticeable when he would carry the team. And he was about to become a ufa and had the credentials to set the new bar for the top defenceman. And like EK and all the best, he wasnt about to take a discount. Mucks on the other hand could see the cap crunch coming. And he needed them to both come to him and offer to help the team out by both taking $6mil deals. This was the evident framework for discussions. Redden agreed. Chara, especially after being locked out a year to get a salary cap, rightly scoffed. And he did indeed set a new bar. And he deserved it.

Reactions: DrEasy and slamigo

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I wouldn't be so sure. A huge regional TV network in the US went bankrupt (I should research that, happened last season) and people are spending lessdue to "high" interest rates which will lead to less bums in seats.

I'm not worried, but I'm not sure the cap will rise dramatically (and I think that is a good thing).
Sens are in good shape regardless with all the dead cap coming off the books but the cap will increases with the increased revenues over the past years due to the flat cap.... and we have the option of letting tarasenko/kubalik walk and replace them with Greig

If you guys really want to create cap (don't know why we need to) then Norris is the more obvious move

Last edited:

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I didn't say Larsson isn't a good player and I didn't say he wouldn't be a good fit on this roster. I'm also not against the basic premise of trading Chabot for a top 4 RHD.

This return - largely due to Larrson's age and the term left on his contract - just isn't good enough for me to pull the trigger on Chabot. We only get to trade Chabot once, and I'm holding out for better.
What do mean by better? A better player than Larsson? More term? Lower AAV?

Here's the problem with Chabot. He's not great defensively. Might not ever be above average. Offensively he's lost his PP job to Sanderson and Chychrun

Currently I'd say his rep exceeds his play. @bert said they tried to move him this summer and there weren't any takers. Neither surprises me.

I understand that we only get to trade him once but we might be getting close to not being able to trade him at all.

We now have better players at what he's good at. Moving him without adding to do so is coming quick

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
I want Chych to be what you see him as, but he's still a unknown commodity because of his injury issues. I hope he stays at a 10mil dman level, but if he's hurt 30% of the time he won't be worth a contract more than Chabot's. We need this level of defensive depth regardless of their handedness
Chabot has as many or more injury issues as Chychrun. That being the case I'll take Chychrun's game over Chabot's.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Thoughts on this deal.

The issue with Larsson is that he is a UFA in 2025. If we trade for him in the offseason, he will be approaching 32 years old with nearly 1000 NHL games under his belt. While defensemen tend to have a slower decline, he has played a lot of tough minutes throughout his career, and he plays a physical style. An extension would need to be part of the trade for it to make sense, and I would be reticent to lock him down to a big money extension that would not start until he is almost 33.

He will likely want a mid-term deal. He has played big minutes the past few years and will be in a position to ask for something like 6.XXM. There is a pretty established market that top pairing D who aren't on the franchise or superstar tier seem to get something in the 6M range.

Without an extension, the trade only makes sense if the idea behind the trade is that Chabot is a net negative because of his contract, and even renting Larsson for one year is beneficial because dumping Chabot is a positive. I would disagree with that though.

I think Seattle would absolutely do something around Larsson for Chabot. If Larsson was younger with more term, they would not. In the above scenario, they would trade 1 year of Larsson for 4 years of Chabot, and it isn't like Larsson is going to be much cheaper than Chabot if they extend him. He might end up 1.5M cheaper at the expense of being signed through his projected age-related decline.

Chabot would be a good fit for them. They have a big strong defense, and Chabot coming in as a transition guy and possible superstar (if he finds his game) could be huge for them. Acquiring a younger more exciting player this offseason would certainly help change the narrative about their step back this season.

I don't know anything about those two prospects, so I can't really comment on that aspect of the trade. Assuming they aren't blue chip top 10 talent type prospects, and they are the typical 4th or worst best organizational prospect that get thrown into these trades, I think they would do it.

Reactions: Senator Stanley

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
Ughh EK doing generational EK things, Chabot doing... Chabot things.

We would be a contender with EK on this roster right now.

That was the play.

Reactions: NB613

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Ughh EK doing generational EK things, Chabot doing... Chabot things.

We would be a contender with EK on this roster right now.

That was the play.

I haven't watched any of Karlsson on Pittsburgh outside of our game. I watched a lot of his first season in San Jose before he got hurt. On San Jose, it took him 10 or so games to get situated. Then he exploded and played some of the best hockey of his career prior to getting hurt.

It has always been alleged that he doesn't train hard during the off season. I don't know if that is true, or is still true, but in connection with joining a new system, it would explain why it might have taken him a chunk of games to get going.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I haven't watched any of Karlsson on Pittsburgh outside of our game. I watched a lot of his first season in San Jose before he got hurt. On San Jose, it took him 10 or so games to get situated. Then he exploded and played some of the best hockey of his career prior to getting hurt.

It has always been alleged that he doesn't train hard during the off season. I don't know if that is true, or is still true, but in connection with joining a new system, it would explain why it might have taken him a chunk of games to get going.
He didn’t train hard in the summer when he was here, he didn’t have to, he was/is a freak athlete. There a number of negative things you could say about EK but his fitness was never, ever, anything but exceptional.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad