Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Salva Mea

Apr 4, 2018
zadorov 28 year old russian player who will not return back, last year salary 3.75 +100% sure hi want to live in usa.. we just cant give him 4-5M+ , zero chance hi will come here

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Brannstrom+Kubalik+sweetener clears enough

It doesn't clear enough.

That is 4.5M out for 2 players. With 3.75M in for 1 player. That only leaves 750k for whoever the replacement for Kubalik is.

The Senators cap is so tight that giving up 25k would be an issue. Keeping in mind that not every replacement player is going to be on league minimum, some will be 775k-999k.

If you're Calgary, what do you ask for as a sweetener? Brannstrom just suffered a major injury so there is no guarantee they get any value out of him. He also is arbitration eligible so they may not want to risk qualifying him unless he has a strong season. He's basically a rental because of that.

If they are taking back cap, he isn't going to cost a late pick or something. It's difficult to say what he should cost because there are so few trades to compare to this time in the season. I would say a 2nd or 3rd at minimum if they take back cap.

If they don't take back cap, maybe a 4th or something, because whoever can take him without cap has a huge point of leverage.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
It doesn't clear enough.

That is 4.5M out for 2 players. With 3.75M in for 1 player. That only leaves 750k for whoever the replacement for Kubalik is.

The Senators cap is so tight that giving up 25k would be an issue. Keeping in mind that not every replacement player is going to be on league minimum, some will be 775k-999k.

If you're Calgary, what do you ask for as a sweetener? Brannstrom just suffered a major injury so there is no guarantee they get any value out of him. He also is arbitration eligible so they may not want to risk qualifying him unless he has a strong season. He's basically a rental because of that.

If they are taking back cap, he isn't going to cost a late pick or something. It's difficult to say what he should cost because there are so few trades to compare to this time in the season. I would say a 2nd or 3rd at minimum if they take back cap.

If they don't take back cap, maybe a 4th or something, because whoever can take him without cap has a huge point of leverage.
Calgary's cap situation is almost as bad as ours so it's an even money deal for them or they need to clear cap with the trade. There's no scenario where they take back more cap than they send out.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Calgary's cap situation is almost as bad as ours so it's an even money deal for them or they need to clear cap with the trade. There's no scenario where they take back more cap than they send out.

I never suggested they would take back more cap than Zadorov's cap hit.

I suggested that the trade needed to be cap in/cap out. The previous suggestion I quoted (Bran+Kubalik) was not cap in/cap out because it would require the Senators to spend an additional 25k-250k or so on a replacement body for Kubilik. That trade would be cap in/cap out for Calgary (if Brannstrom is cleared to play) because they would move a player off their roster to the AHL who makes 775k+ to make room for the 2 coming in. So in the calculations with Calgary's roster, you can assume they would clear up an additional 775k+ along with Zadorov.

My earlier suggestion was that Calgary would have to take Kubalik and retain on Zadorov to make it cap in/cap out. Not that Calgary would have to take on additional cap.

When I say Calgary would have to take back cap, I am referring to them taking back cap, not to them taking back excess cap beyond what Zadorov makes. For example, there might be multiple teams who are in on Zadorov, but require them to take back a player to make it work cap wise. There might be a select few teams who will take Zadorov with less or nothing going back to Calgary. The price will vary depending on what Calgary takes back, and the value Calgary places on making a deal that sheds cap vs making a deal that is closer to cap in/cap out for them.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
A pending UFA for a team in the bottom of their division just doesn't make sense. I'd like to see the team turn it around before I'd be interested in paying assets for a UFA likely to walk. As much as I like Zadorov, it's just not the play for this team unless the plan is to re-sign him, which is still risky.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
zadorov 28 year old russian player who will not return back, last year salary 3.75 +100% sure hi want to live in usa.. we just cant give him 4-5M+ , zero chance hi will come here

we have seen Russian's not afriad to commit to Ottawa. Taraesenko, Zub, Daddanov, and even all star Sergei Gonchar from a decade ago.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I don't know. I can't imagine they'd get a higher offer than that from a contender at the deadline, especially if he tells them he's not looking to sign there.
For sure. I just meant that's two upgrades imo, and only Batherson hurts to give up. In the context they both sign, it would be an excellent deal imo.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
According to Friedman we’re only interested in a depth dman. I am curious what type of move that Staios will make.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
According to Friedman we’re only interested in a depth dman. I am curious what type of move that Staios will make.

It makes sense. We're playing AHL guys and don't have the cap to add anybody who makes more than 6 figures because we will need to be compliant when we activate Chabot. We also don't have many assets to burn.

Ekblad is returning to Florida soon. Montour should be back soon as well. Mike Reilly was good for Ottawa in the past. He has been scratched for them almost the entire season. Something like a 7th or an F prospect like Lassi Thomson for Mike Reilly would be the type of trade I could see. Maybe not that exact player, but that's an example of the kind of situation and assets I could see. Nothing major or exciting.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
It seems like the urgency is waning with Zub and Brannstrom back in. Chabot inching there and JBD showing to be reasonably capable. Hamonic's minutes back to normal. Kleven and Mantipalo got a taste to go back and work off of too.

Salva Mea

Apr 4, 2018
we have seen Russian's not afriad to commit to Ottawa. Taraesenko, Zub, Daddanov, and even all star Sergei Gonchar from a decade ago.
im not said , russians hate canada, or something like that, but this man want to live in usa, if you saw his last interview, you can understood,

and anyway hi is not Wall , no worth 4-5 M

also all our cap space with rise going for sandy....

only tarasenkos money and + kubalik is our space, need to lock pinto , maximum what we can to do, add 1-2 average forward with 1-3M salary

there is no space to add good D with 4+ contract, only way is trade chabot.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
im not said , russians hate canada, or something like that, but this man want to live in usa, if you saw his last interview, you can understood,

and anyway hi is not Wall , no worth 4-5 M

also all our cap space with rise going for sandy....

only tarasenkos money and + kubalik is our space, need to lock pinto , maximum what we can to do, add 1-2 average forward with 1-3M salary

there is no space to add good D with 4+ contract, only way is trade chabot.
We have plenty of cap space next year.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
We have cap flexibility next year, but we don't have a lot of space in theory.

11M with Tarasenko, Pinto, Brannstrom, and Kubalik as our key free agents. Then a few six figure roster spots to fill out.

Tarasenko = 5.5M-7.0M
Pinto = 1M-2.5M (term dependent)
Brannstrom = 2M-3M (if qualified)

Even on the low-end, that is all the cap if they retain everybody and fill roster spots.

I doubt they retain all 4, but the point is there isn't really "adding to the roster" next season. Someone has to be strategically subtracted via trade or losing them to free agency in order to add to our current roster.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

11M with Tarasenko, Pinto, Brannstrom, and Kubalik as our key free agents. Then a few six figure roster spots to fill out.

Tarasenko = 5.5M-7.0M

Even on the low-end, that is all the cap if they retain everybody and fill roster spots.

I doubt they retain all 4, but the point is there isn't really "adding to the roster" next season. Someone has to be strategically subtracted via trade or losing them to free agency in order to add to our current roster.
Good chance the only one of the 3 with us is Pinto

Reactions: guyzeur

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
It makes sense. We're playing AHL guys and don't have the cap to add anybody who makes more than 6 figures because we will need to be compliant when we activate Chabot. We also don't have many assets to burn.

Ekblad is returning to Florida soon. Montour should be back soon as well. Mike Reilly was good for Ottawa in the past. He has been scratched for them almost the entire season. Something like a 7th or an F prospect like Lassi Thomson for Mike Reilly would be the type of trade I could see. Maybe not that exact player, but that's an example of the kind of situation and assets I could see. Nothing major or exciting.

Mike Reilly is an interesting name.

Going through most teams depth charts.

PO Joseph from Pitt would be an interesting project
Ben Gleason from Edmonton. He played 3 years for the Hamilton Bulldogs
Robert Bertuzzo is a big RD.
Jani Hakanpaa from Dallas
Connor Carrick from Seattle
Cal Foote from New Jersey

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

Tarasenko = 5.5M-7.0M

Tarasenko and Brannstrom are highly unlikely to be around next year.

Salva Mea

Apr 4, 2018
4.5 cap rise + 1.5625 retained salary ( murray) + 3.458 ( ryan-zotto-white) = total 9.5 M

9.5 - sanderson with 7.125 = 2.375 its our space :D

+ add if tarasenko not singed +kubalik will be free from us, its total add 7.5

TOTAL max cap space =11 M

Team need sing pinto + branny = minimum 5 M,

What left? max 6 M, and you need to add minimum 2 forward ,

Means we cant add any good D and any good Forward, just maximum 2-3 average 3-4 line F

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad