Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Send Forsberg down to the AHL to figure things out. Recall Sogaard and give him a few games to see if his strong play in the AHL can translate to the NHL and help spark the team. They can't really make any trades due to the cap, and they apparently do not want the chaos of firing DJ Smith. This would be a short-term internal move that would be easy to pull off, and might help spark the team by giving them someone different in the room in a prominent role.

Sending Forsberg down doesn't have to be a big controversy, he had a double knee injury last year. It's a chance for him to reset and come back up in a few weeks. Nobody will claim him from waivers, so waivers are irrelevant.

They have had multiple call ups, but it isn't like Highmore or Matinpalo playing a few minutes a night is going to change the complexion of the team. 1B goalie is a big role. It's something that could be a shock to the system of the team, and while there is potential for things to get messy with Forsberg, it's at least possible that in the long run it works out better if Forsberg can find his game in the AHL and come back up later.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Send Forsberg down to the AHL to figure things out. Recall Sogaard and give him a few games to see if his strong play in the AHL can translate to the NHL and help spark the team. They can't really make any trades due to the cap, and they apparently do not want the chaos of firing DJ Smith. This would be a short-term internal move that would be easy to pull off, and might help spark the team by giving them someone different in the room in a prominent role.

Sending Forsberg down doesn't have to be a big controversy, he had a double knee injury last year. It's a chance for him to reset and come back up in a few weeks. Nobody will claim him from waivers, so waivers are irrelevant.

They have had multiple call ups, but it isn't like Highmore or Matinpalo playing a few minutes a night is going to change the complexion of the team. 1B goalie is a big role. It's something that could be a shock to the system of the team, and while there is potential for things to get messy with Forsberg, it's at least possible that in the long run it works out better if Forsberg can find his game in the AHL and come back up later.
Forsberg would get claimed IMO.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Personally I'd be ok with that, long term we bet on Korpisalo with that contract, short term I don't see Forsberg as the solution.

Forsberg getting claimed would be a short term problem, because you don't want to get boxed into starting Sogaard if he comes up and it doesn't spark the team in front of him to adjust. You don't want a scenario where Sogaard gets absolutely killed in the NHL and cannot be sent back down due to their being no alternative.

With that said, Forsberg is going to be a buyout candidate since he isn't playing well and it looks like Sogaard may be ready for the #2 job sooner rather than later. He was just okay last season, and he has not been good in a short sample size this season. I understand the team in front of him is a factor, and it isn't entirely fair to blame him.

To put things into perspective, there are 7 teams who could take Forsberg's cap hit without making adjustments to their roster. Out of those 7 teams, a few are already set in net, and a few are budget teams who might be tapped out. A 2.75M cap hit would present a huge opportunity cost when you consider how cap can be accrued towards the trade deadline and allow GMs to make big moves (either as a dumping ground for picks, or to improve their roster a lot more than a below average goalie would).

I admit, proven NHL goalies are very difficult to find. Even with that in mind, it is highly unlikely that Forsberg would be claimed.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
How would you fit Draisaitl under the cap?

Hypothetically, if Edmonton was rebuilding, they could take back Forsberg and/or retain on Draisaitl.

If the Senators acquire Draisaitl, it would be very similar to the Duchene trade. Ill-advised and badly timed. He is in the awkward position where he has 1.5 years left, so we cannot talk an extension. We also aren't a strong team. If we acquire Draisaitl now, we're likely going to have to turn around and trade him at the 2025 TDL for a package where the best piece will be a late 1st. Similar to what most rentals get, even great players.

Also, he has a 10 team NTC. Based on the teams that are usually placed on those, we would likely be on it.

I think that package would be better than any package Edmonton would get for Draisaitl right now. Our 1st this year might be a lottery pick. We're a shit show, so who knows about next year. Pinto is a legitimate top prospect. Maybe he isn't Connor Bedard or a 1st overall type talent, but he is certainly the equivalent of a top 10 talent in the draft.

Edmonton isn't going to trade Draisaitl right now because the way they maximize the return is to do a sign-and-trade ala Matthew Tkachuk. That would require waiting until July 1st.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Personally I'd be ok with that, long term we bet on Korpisalo with that contract, short term I don't see Forsberg as the solution.
Either way we would need to find a replacement as Sogaard is developing very nicely and I’d be loathe to risk his development by bringing him up.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Either way we would need to find a replacement as Sogaard is developing very nicely and I’d be loathe to risk his development by bringing him up.

There aren't any goalies available that aren't crap shoots. There has been a shortage of NHL goalies for years. It's part of why it was reasonable to give Forsberg the term and money he got after such a small sample size.

Cap is also a major issue, because it isn't like we can just point out a struggling goalie who is a pending UFA and take them. We need to shed a contract, and the other team has to want to do that. Cap is the big reason why Forsberg is highly unlikely to be claimed despite the shortage of goalies.

I agree that we shouldn't risk Sogaard's development, but I think swapping Forsberg and Sogaard after the Sweden trip could be played as a short-term move. Forsberg is coming off of a big injury, so going down to the AHL doesn't have to be seen as a punishment, but rather a collaborative move to work on his game. Of course, that is easier said than done, players can take that sort of thing personally.

They can't make a trade, they don't want to fire the coach, this would be something internally that they could do to shake things up without causing too much controversy. Forsberg getting a few NHL games over a span of a few weeks isn't the same as what happened last season when he was forced to carry the team in net during a playoff push.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
If there is a trade to be made its with the Flames and Andersson or Tanev. If they want to get younger and rebuild we have Branny and the DET 1st rounder to offer.

I still think it is a coaching issue and not a player one and would not make a trade rn

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
If there is a trade to be made its with the Flames and Andersson or Tanev. If they want to get younger and rebuild we have Branny and the DET 1st rounder to offer.

I still think it is a coaching issue and not a player one and would not make a trade rn

Andersson isn't going anywhere. He's a core guy, praised for his leadership, and is signed for two more years after this one on a steal of a contract. If they try to retool, he's not a guy going out the door.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
They would probably want a similar return for Andersson to what we gave up for Chychrun.

It is a very similar situation, except Andersson is a RHD.

Until he asks for at trade, or Calgary officially blows it up, the cost to acquire him is likely sky high. Arizona only traded Chychrun for what they did because they couldn't take back money to facilitate a bigger return (sounds familiar) and they had exhausted the amount of time a player is willing to have their name in trade rumours. They needed to pull the trigger on the best offer.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

I think that’s a cop out. DJ hasn’t held the players accountable so yes that’s on him. You may not like DJs system, that’s also fair. The players, some in particular, are also to blame. Stutzle’s giveaways in his own zone aren’t system issues, Batherson repeatedly turning the puck over at the opposition blue line isn’t a system issue, these are things that are taught from minor hockey on. We need a new coach but we need to shake up the roster as well.

JaredCowen4Norris

Jul 9, 2020
How about Draisaitl?

Pinto
Batherson
2 1st rounders?

I would guess that Edmonton would be looking for help on D vs. more forwards. Would probably have to be centered around Chabot.

Chabot
Pinto or Batherson
2x Firsts

Still don't think it would be enough, but it could be a starting point.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Get a new coach before making roster changes
We already have a new POHO who can be the previous GM.

I would guess that Edmonton would be looking for help on D vs. more forwards. Would probably have to be centered around Chabot.

Chabot
Pinto or Batherson
2x Firsts

Still don't think it would be enough, but it could be a starting point.
Perhaps we could trade then DJ as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad