Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Definitely. But can kleven hop into the top 4 when there’s an injury? I have serious doubts.
JBD has been looking just as, if not better, slotting into the top 4 when asked too. Neither one has really been asked to ply actual top 4 minutes.

Brannstrom has played less than 18 minutes a game in 27 out of his last 30 games, he hasn’t been asked to play top 4 minutes, at all. He’s averaging 15 over that time frame. JBD has played over 18 in 3 of his past 6.

They’re both slotting into a top 4 role when asked, and playing bottom pair minutes, for the most part, JBD did play 20+ last night though.

Do we consider last night Brannstrom playing well in the top 4 because he slotted next to Chabot? He still played close to 3 minutes less than JBD who was 4th in icetime for the Sens D.

Last edited:

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
JBD has been looking just as, if not better, slotting into the top 4 when asked too. Neither one has really been asked to ply actual top 4 minutes.

Brannstrom has played less than 18 minutes a game in 27 out of his last 30 games, he hasn’t been asked to play top 4 minutes, at all. He’s averaging 15 over that time frame. JBD has played over 18 in 3 of his past 6.

They’re both slotting into a top 4 role when asked, and playing bottom pair minutes, for the most part, JBD did play 20+ last night though.

Do we consider last night Brannstrom playing well in the top 4 because he slotted next to Chabot? He still played close to 3 minutes less than JBD who was 4th in icetime for the Sens D.
Eh I think brannstrom looks a bit better than jbd. Brannstrom did it last year with chabot out. And the year before with chabot out.

Which guy out of Sanderson, Chabot, Zub, or Chychrun get hurt where you call on Brannstrom over JBD? I can see a bit of an argument if two of them are hurt, I guess...
I think brannstrom is better. Ideally I replace both.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
I didn't even know his advanced stats were that good but just from the eye test you could tell he is one of our smartest d and drives possession and overall helps the team offensively and defensively.

The numbers just back up the eye test.

Okay but Chychrun and Chabot both at 8m is unsustainable. One of them has to go.

So we actually need a versatile Brannstrom type that gives us solid 3rd pair depth and injury insurance.

You keep calling Brannstrom one of our smartest D but the guy has 62 points in 239 games. Hes a black hole offensively and usually just shoots the puck up off the glass and doesn’t have a great first pass. He lacks the size and physicality to play in the bottom pair as well .

He needs to be replaced and upgraded for next season

Reactions: bert

NB613

Jul 26, 2013
Ottawa
You keep calling Brannstrom one of our smartest D but the guy has 62 points in 239 games. Hes a black hole offensively and usually just shoots the puck up off the glass and doesn’t have a great first pass. He lacks the size and physicality to play in the bottom pair as well .

Yes, I too would like to upgrade as many positions as we can for next season.

However, there are multiple more pressing areas to prioritize upgrading.

Reactions: DJB and DrEasy

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015

I don't need points confirmation to tell me he has high iq when he is making smart decisions 200 ft of ice. and callling him a black hole offensively is crazy.

He does need to work on his shot though, that will make him a much more dangerous offensive zone player instead of just a good facilitator.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
He's listed at 5'10 pretty much everywhere and was measured as 5'9 at the draft combine, so not sure why you're claiming he's 5'8.

He's a decent bottom pairing D but I definitely wouldn't pay him 2.5M.

In fact if there are teams out there who think he's a good enough player to pay him anywhere close to that we should be dealing him at the deadline.
Brannstrom wasn’t measured at the draft combine, he missed the measurements, check the asterisk beside his results. He is 5’7”. The issue with him is he is paid 2M as a bottom pairing, extremely sheltered D. The kid has a ton of heart but he can’t win a puck battle. His supporters are likely the same people who liked Tyler Ennis, guys who look super active but accomplish nothing.

Reactions: bert

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Detroit with Rafalski perhaps? Hard to track them down because most guys that size will still be listed at 5'10".
With all due respect to Brannstrom he is also not Rafalski. There's a reason he doesnt play when they are protecting a lead, there is a reason he was moved to forward etc. He is a utility player at the NHL level and thats fine pretending he is a guy who you win with as a contender and using your argument is advanced stats says someone is not watching the games or doesnt know what they are watching.

He's listed at 5'10 pretty much everywhere and was measured as 5'9 at the draft combine, so not sure why you're claiming he's 5'8.

He's a decent bottom pairing D but I definitely wouldn't pay him 2.5M.

In fact if there are teams out there who think he's a good enough player to pay him anywhere close to that we should be dealing him at the deadline.
I have seen him I am 6'1 if he is 5'9 he's wearing lifts.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

I’m sorry but if he lacked anything to play bottom pair you would see that reflected in the numbers.

He’s a fine bottom pair d man. The stats say so. Last year he led in +\- Maybe we do need someone more physical. But saying he can’t do this or that is lying

Reactions: DrEasy

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

JBD has an element of physicality that Brannstrom does not. He is also a better defender in general he makes some great reads. That will continue to improve with reps. He has been able to catch players with their heads down and knows when to force a player to make a decision at the blue line. He has been playing really well lately. He is what he is a defensive third pairing D man but he is usefull.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Brannstrom should have stayed up on wing.

His size is less of an issue there, and it's easier for him to assert himself as the forechecker rather than being the guy trying to contain the forecheck.

He will be in the KHL this time next year. His size and skating will hold him back from being a star at the NHL level. He is going to be the typical AHL/international superstar who simply can't do it in league as big and fast as the NHL.

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
What's hilarious is that JBD is regarded as some great physical presence and board guy just because his height starts with 6.

Guarantee if they both played the exact same way but JBD was 5 ft 10 and Brannstrom was 6 ft but their play and output is the exact same JBD would be seen as unable to play and Brannstrom great.

Heck same thing if we switched Brannstrom and Chabot size but kept the output same.

You guys are way too hung up on size and ignoring the results and on ice output.

Reactions: NB613

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
Brannstrom wasn’t measured at the draft combine, he missed the measurements, check the asterisk beside his results. He is 5’7”. The issue with him is he is paid 2M as a bottom pairing, extremely sheltered D. The kid has a ton of heart but he can’t win a puck battle. His supporters are likely the same people who liked Tyler Ennis, guys who look super active but accomplish nothing.

That's the thing though. If you value smart puck moving, positive team flow, possession, competitive d, team chemistry.

Brannstrom accomplishes all of that.

The results are that the team looks good when he is on because of his hockey IQ.

Reactions: DrEasy and NB613

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Was looking to see how Connor Brown was doing … that injury really screwed things up. Obviously there is a butterfly effect but the sens dodged a bullet

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
That's the thing though. If you value smart puck moving, positive team flow, possession, competitive d, team chemistry.

Brannstrom accomplishes all of that.

The results are that the team looks good when he is on because of his hockey IQ.
Brannstrom never recovers pucks because he can’t win a board battle or pin a forward, he is a huge liability. If someone gets the puck and gets it to him then he can get out of the zone. He’s just become this mythological D who fans make excuses for and it’s always someone else’s fault.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Brannstrom never recovers pucks because he can’t win a board battle or pin a forward, he is a huge liability. If someone gets the puck and gets it to him then he can get out of the zone. He’s just become this mythological D who fans make excuses for and it’s always someone else’s fault.
there’s nothing mythological about him. Most just think he’s a decent bottom pairing defensmena. Which by every metric he is

Reactions: JD1 and DrEasy

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020

Handedness surely factors in here though,as a right not shot, especially when Zub is out

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Bruce says that we can get a 2nd plus a prospect for Tarasenko, with more if Ottawa decides to retain.

Says that Staois talked to Vegas about Tarasenko. Oilers are also interested.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
He's redundant. He's done pretty well in his role and I'm not entirely against keeping him but I'd rather allocate his $ to filling a greater need.

He's redundant if we keep Chabot AND Chychrun... If we trade Chychrun for futures (or for a more defensive RHD)

Sanderson - Zub
Chabot - RHD
Brannstrom - JBD
Guenette

When Kleven is ready, you either trade Brannstrom or move him to RD, depending on JBD (or even Guenette) progression

Brannstrom give us more leeway than people think and he's a nice insurance policy when someone in the Top-4 gets hurt

As long as he's not too expensive, I don't see the reason to rush to trade him.

What we need is a guy in the Top-4 who plays physical to complement the D-squad nicely, also somewhat who holds his stick with 2 hands :sarcasm:

This is a prime example of why the eye test matters.

Both the eye test and metrics say he is doing fine. And without both the eye test and metrics you only get one part of the portrait.

Swear to Alfie if Branny was 6'2'' and played the exact same game we'd never hear these constant trade proposals.

For sure there is some cognitive bias regarding him. But there's also the fact that Dorion sold him to us like the next Karlsson and he was the (only) piece we got for Mark freaking Stone. As usual, Dorion's "management" not helping :laugh:

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
They got the donuts? Excellent....
With all due respect to Brannstrom he is also not Rafalski. There's a reason he doesnt play when they are protecting a lead, there is a reason he was moved to forward etc. He is a utility player at the NHL level and thats fine pretending he is a guy who you win with as a contender and using your argument is advanced stats says someone is not watching the games or doesnt know what they are watching.

I've not claimed Brannstrom is Rafalski. Only that Rafalski is (possibly) an example of a 5'8" dman who played a big role on a team that went deep.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Brannstrom is a guy lots of teams will look at, but not in the $2mil range. I suspect lots of teams will offer him $1.2-$1.5m, possibly with multiple years, but I don't think anyone is carving his name into their lineup in stone. If there's a team out there that feels otherwise, we should probably trade them Brannstrom.

Jacob Bryson was extended at 1.85 AAV in 2022 and Brannstrom is much much better

I think there's way too many biases surrounding Brannstrom for hockey fans in general to have a proper read on him. There's still people calling him a bust or "struggling". lol the guy has played 239 NHL already at 24 y/o and will play a bunch more. He's been quality for 2 seasons now.

Matt Grzelcyk is a good comparable actually, currently on the last year of a 4 years x $3,687,500 contract. Guys I have compared with Brannstrom before were Tobias Enstrom and Toery Krug, although he'll probably never be as productive as they were in their peaks as his shot doesn't create enough offense.

Show me a winning team that has gone deep with a 5'8 d man playing a prominent role. I'll wait.

But who is talking about having Brannstrom playing a prominent role on our (wishful) contending team?

And maybe we should target making the playoffs first lol, as we're about missing them for the 7th year in a row.

Jared Spurgeon is quite smaller and has been a beast all his career. Brannstrom is a lesser version from the 3rd pair

I have seen him I am 6'1 if he is 5'9 he's wearing lifts.

Why would the NHL and Senators lie about his size? I don't see the purpose of such a conspiracy

Reactions: Senator Stanley

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
IMG_4517.png
IMG_4517.png

What the hell is this? Oh lord.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison

They have 1 more season until his NMC kicks in. He has had six straight seasons without playoffs or any real progress here. Now there is a change in ownership and a lot of "chaos".

It is absolutely reasonable to think that either in the summer or next summer (if we lose again) he might use his impending NMC as leverage to go to a different situation.

While it would be shocking to see him moved this early, it makes complete sense to expect it as a possibility. If someone blows their socks off with an offer that has a different superstar with a greater level of control (ELC or RFA years, doesn't have a NMC) - you have to think they would at least consider it.

If they do trade him, I guarantee it isn't entirely their choice. Which doesn't mean Tkachuk asked out, but it means they know it is a massive risk next season and if they wait a year whatever return on Tkachuk they get, while it might be large, it won't be as large as the return will be if a team thinks they have to pry Tkachuk out of Ottawa like they might think right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad