Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Brannstrom is okay but he is far overpaid. JBD makes 1.2M less and is at least as good if not better. We can get someone who can play 3LD for less than than buriable amount who can be as serviceable as Branny.

Far overpaid at 2.0?

He has the best metrics on the Sens last 2 seasons combined but looking around the league, among 258 D-men with at least 500 mins at ES :

CF/60 : 52th
CA/60 : 64th
SF/60 : 52th
SA/60 : 44th
xGF/60 : 51st
xGA/60 : 50th

Goals/60 : 147th
Primary assits/60 : 129th
Points/60 : 83rd
Takeaways/60 : 37th
Blocked Shots/60 : 74th

Which other stats you'd like to see? He's pretty decent

Not sure what you expect from a 2.0 D-man

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Well I think the Chychrun Chabot situation is the biggest dilemma in front of the team right now. But it really doesn't need to be solved right now either. I just don't think that we can sign Chychrun to a new deal and commit that much cap space to LHD. So what they do about that and when is the biggest thing in front of Staois right now.
Yes, the big question is what to do with Chychrun.

I want to keep him and would do so at $7-$8M, which is doable if we run a 20 man roster (12F + 6D + 2G = 20).

We would then have a solid set of 3 LD and could run 3 D pairs at ES.

At RD we do need to add some size, strength and physicality, provided that it does not cost too much.

Chabot - Zub
Chychrun - (Brannstrom, Bernard-Docker or a big physical RD)
Sanderson - (Brannstrom, Bernard-Docker or a big physical RD)
7th D = Hamonic (buyout or preferably trade with another asset to another team)

Mark Stones Spleen

Trouba's elbow
Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
Sign Pesce
Trade Chych (If that's the decision) for futures
Buyout Korpi
Go after Broissoit in UFA, running whoever is hot between him and Forsberg, OR use the Chych futures on a goalie
re-sign Tank.

Reactions: SensFactor

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Sign Pesce
Trade Chych (If that's the decision) for futures
Buyout Korpi
Go after Broissoit in UFA, running whoever is hot between him and Forsberg, OR use the Chych futures on a goalie
re-sign Tank.
Pesce would be awesome but not sure Carolina will push hard to resign him

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Far overpaid at 2.0?

He has the best metrics on the Sens last 2 seasons combined but looking around the league, among 258 D-men with at least 500 mins at ES :

He's redundant. He's done pretty well in his role and I'm not entirely against keeping him but I'd rather allocate his $ to filling a greater need.
Pesce would be awesome but not sure Carolina will push hard to resign him
Carolina has a lot of decisions to make.

Jarvis, Necas, Teravainen, Martinook, Noesen, and Drury all need new contracts up front.

Skjei, Pesce, and Chatfield on the back end.

They have $32mil to make it work, but that's their 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 7th, 8th, 9th, & 11th leading scorer (plus Pesce & Chatfield); their 2nd, 4th, 6th, 9th, 12th, 13th, 16th & 17th leading TOI...

Lots of different ways it could shake out.

Last edited:
Reactions: bert

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
If Brannstrom comes in at 2.5 ish will be great value, especially since our d are walking bandages and Brannstrom has shown he can play both sides.

Plus everyone has chemistry with Brannstrom and he raises his game the more responsibility he is given.

A lot of bottom pair d struggle badly when they get put up in the top 4, Brannstrom becomes better.

You can have a Brannstrom-Zub top pair and at the very least be confident you will get solid high iq hockey. Invaluable versatility from a bottom pair d.
You're gonna be real disappointed when they don't qualify him. 2.5 million for a number 6/7 is insane.

Far overpaid at 2.0?

This is a prime example of why the eye test matters.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
If Brannstrom comes in at 2.5 ish will be great value, especially since our d are walking bandages and Brannstrom has shown he can play both sides.

Plus everyone has chemistry with Brannstrom and he raises his game the more responsibility he is given.

A lot of bottom pair d struggle badly when they get put up in the top 4, Brannstrom becomes better.

You can have a Brannstrom-Zub top pair and at the very least be confident you will get solid high iq hockey. Invaluable versatility from a bottom pair d.

B-b-but he's smalllllll. :cry:

They expect about 4 more inches in height.

Swear to Alfie if Branny was 6'2'' and played the exact same game we'd never hear these constant trade proposals.

...but size queens gon' size queen.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Swear to Alfie if Branny was 6'2'' and played the exact same game we'd never hear these constant trade proposals.

And if my aunt had a Weiner she'd be my uncle.

Show me a winning team that has gone deep with a 5'8 d man playing a prominent role. I'll wait.

The concept of size queen is hilarious. Using tangible positive results to build a roster. What a concept

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
what about your step-aunt?

Might as well weigh in. Brannstrom the little cutie is a goner we will want to beef up our D with Big Mobile players ... I think Brannstrom has performed well but they will move on from him. If they can move him at the TDL they will .. They won't re-up him.

I think they move Chychrun at the TDL or in the off season. I'd like to see a big futures return for him that includes a 1st round pick. A big name hunting move that was misguided. Sens will lose on what they paid.

Some good UFA RD candidates to pursue in the off season; We have to try hard to nail one of them.

Tanev, Pesce, Roy, Demelo, Hakanpaa, Carrier

Last edited:
Reactions: DrEasy

BrawlFan

Apr 17, 2009
Call me crazy but I see some truth to the chucky rumours. I think they can maybe, MAYBE, keep him around one more year without a playoff run. And maybe 2 unless they win a round.

I just don’t see him wanting to be the man here anymore.

Now, I am one of the delusional fans who still thinks we can make a run here and make the show. If we do that I think he rounds out. But if we sputter to 9-12th positioning I wouldn’t be surprised if he asks for a trade.

I don’t think the sens ever move him unless he wants out

Sens in Process

Oct 1, 2012
Call me crazy but I see some truth to the chucky rumours. I think they can maybe, MAYBE, keep him around one more year without a playoff run. And maybe 2 unless they win a round.

Now, I am one of the delusional fans who still thinks we can make a run here and make the show. If we do that I think he rounds out. But if we sputter to 9-12th positioning I wouldn’t be surprised if he asks for a trade.

I don't blame him for wanting out. The fans never wanted him here in the first place and that must sting. They also quickly turned on him when he was protecting his coach.

It would set this team back for years if he was moved.

With that being said, I hope the rumors are untrue.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

Show me a winning team that has gone deep with a 5'8 d man playing a prominent role. I'll wait.

The concept of size queen is hilarious. Using tangible positive results to build a roster. What a concept

He's listed at 5'10 pretty much everywhere and was measured as 5'9 at the draft combine, so not sure why you're claiming he's 5'8.

He's a decent bottom pairing D but I definitely wouldn't pay him 2.5M.

In fact if there are teams out there who think he's a good enough player to pay him anywhere close to that we should be dealing him at the deadline.

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
You're gonna be real disappointed when they don't qualify him. 2.5 million for a number 6/7 is insane.

This is a prime example of why the eye test matters.

I didn't even know his advanced stats were that good but just from the eye test you could tell he is one of our smartest d and drives possession and overall helps the team offensively and defensively.

The numbers just back up the eye test.

He's listed at 5'10 pretty much everywhere and was measured as 5'9 at the draft combine, so not sure why you're claiming he's 5'8.

He's a decent bottom pairing D but I definitely wouldn't pay him 2.5M.

In fact if there are teams out there who think he's a good enough player to pay him anywhere close to that we should be dealing him at the deadline.

Okay but Chychrun and Chabot both at 8m is unsustainable. One of them has to go.

So we actually need a versatile Brannstrom type that gives us solid 3rd pair depth and injury insurance.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison

What rumors?

I don't think there are any rumors he wants out.

I have speculated a lot on this board that his NMC will be a choke point that could cause a trade if they miss again next year, but most people tell me that I have Sens PTSD.

With that said, I was told the same thing a few months ago when I said that I thought we would move a big names including Chychrun and maybe a core guy.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Brannstrom is okay but he is far overpaid. JBD makes 1.2M less and is at least as good if not better. We can get someone who can play 3LD for less than than buriable amount who can be as serviceable as Branny.
The Athletic had an article not long ago rating players and the value they bring versus their contract.

Joseph and Brannstrom led the Sens. I think Brannstrom was providing +3M value iirc.

Reactions: NB613 and DrEasy

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal

You are a size queen my man.

Also, Brannstrom is quite literally not a "prominent role" player. He does his job more than adequately and steps up into the top-4 when needed. How many teams can say their 6th dman can do that, and do it well? Not many. Throughout this last winning stretch he's been nothing short of rock solid. You just refuse to see it because your eyes glaze over when players are under 6' tall lol.

Reactions: NB613

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Ya Im warming to keeping Brannstrom, but the cost is a factor for sure. He has played well lately imo.
He can hop up the lineup which is really valuable. But so can chychrun or chabot on the bottom 4

I like the idea of Sanderson and zub playing against top comp and the other two pairs taking it to the opposition. But money and cap

You are a size queen my man.

Also, Brannstrom is quite literally not a "prominent role" player. He does his job more than adequately and steps up into the top-4 when needed. How many teams can say their 6th dman can do that, and do it well? Not many. Throughout this last winning stretch he's been nothing short of rock solid. You just refuse to see it because your eyes glaze over when players are under 6' tall lol.
We’ve also seen brannstrom hop into the top 4 full time with chabot out and he was great.

Saying that. I don’t know how much father we can go with him

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Keeping Brannstrom is especially important if (hopefully) we trade Chychrun. He's sound defensively, and can play in the top 4 in a pinch if (when) there's an injury to Chabot or Sanderson. Why do we want to get rid of cheap depth when we have it?

Brannstrom is not perfect, of course. Sure, I wish he was stronger defensively, but he gets the job done. How often does he give away the puck? Compare with Chychrun... Branny carries the puck well out of the zone. If anything, my beef with him is more about what he does with the puck when he gets into the O-Zone. I don't see much vision or assertiveness there, and I think that this is something he can get still get better at. But if he could do all of that, he would be worth a lot more than $2M or $2.5M/yr.

Reactions: NB613 and Crosside

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020

I’m just mildly concerned about how his size will translate in playoffs, but I can’t wait for that concern to materialize. Plus, lots of small players have proved people wrong.

Reactions: L'Aveuglette

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa

He's not the man right now. He's on the second line and having the best season of his career as a result.

I guess what do people see in him that they think "wow we need this guy around" when I just see a grittier DeBrincat or a younger and more expensive Nazem Kadri?

If he wants to go, we trade him. If he wants to stay he can be useful giving us a solid second line. I don't hate the guy, I don't want him traded but if he wants out I don't see the point in hanging on. He's not about to bloom into a superstar. I think we've seen the best he has to offer and it gives us a very strong second line.

Last edited:

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Keeping Brannstrom is especially important if (hopefully) we trade Chychrun. He's sound defensively, and can play in the top 4 in a pinch if (when) there's an injury to Chabot or Sanderson. Why do we want to get rid of cheap depth when we have it?

Brannstrom is not perfect, of course. Sure, I wish he was stronger defensively, but he gets the job done. How often does he give away the puck? Compare with Chychrun... Branny carries the puck well out of the zone. If anything, my beef with him is more about what he does with the puck when he gets into the O-Zone. I don't see much vision or assertiveness there, and I think that this is something he can get still get better at. But if he could do all of that, he would be worth a lot more than $2M or $2.5M/yr.
Pretty good analysis of Branny's game. I think there is one scenario that makes sense in terms of moving forward with Branny:

1) Trade Chychrun, as you said.
2) Bring in a legit top 4 RD, OR a #4D + a #5D.
3) Sign Brannstrom for max $2mil, be that through extending him or leaving him unqualified and signing him at/below his QO.

Roll with a D that looks like:

Sanderson - Zub
Chabot - 4/5RD
Brannstrom - 4/5RD
Kleven/JBD/Hamonic

Brannstrom is a guy lots of teams will look at, but not in the $2mil range. I suspect lots of teams will offer him $1.2-$1.5m, possibly with multiple years, but I don't think anyone is carving his name into their lineup in stone. If there's a team out there that feels otherwise, we should probably trade them Brannstrom.

• Love
Reactions: DrEasy and NB613

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
Brannstrom is our best bottom pair defenceman in the last 10 years probably.

I mean when was the last time we actually had a good 3rd pair? 06/07? The last time we were a contender.

The fact that Brannstrom has chemistry with everyone makes his potential to be part of a very solid bottom pair very high.

Like a 3rd pair you can actually be confident in at ES/PK.

Depth is good, especially defensive depth. You'd think our fan base of any would appreciate that the most.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad