Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
From what I've read, it sure sounds like Karlsson is the least of their problems and has actually played well. He's a plus player and on pace for 60 points. And he's 3-4 years younger than their core guys, so theoretically more left to give. Some of the other older guys like Carter, Reilly, Malkin, etc. look to be the main culprits for losing effectiveness.

He's not a 10 mil dman anymore, and it would depend on what else they planned to do there, but we could certainly do worse than a guy that has the puck on his stick more often than not.

I'm gonna go on record and say regardless of the awkward fit some see, we'd still be a hell of a lot better off than a guy like Dumba or the Ceci suggestions, or some of the other names thrown around. Granted, they would all be cheaper too, but EK is capable of a ~25 minute role as opposed to most of them needing to be closer to 18-20 to remain reasonably effective.

Either way, never gonna happen. The ship sailed I think.

Last edited:
Reactions: Loach

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
That was 7 years ago.

and?

he is still a great player. better than Chabot or Chychrun easily, better than many of our forwards. and more than that he would elevate the play of the forwards.

you'd think that people would gain greater appreciation of what Karlsson was able to do with the Senators especially after seeing the trouble Brady, Chabot and Friends are having trouble accomplishing together after signing big ass contracts. but somehow it is the opposite.

like Brady and Chabot are seen as winners to be protected from the loser Karlsson.

makes no sense.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
To be fair Chabot needs 3 seasons to rake as many points as EK got last season
EK's offensive pace really hasn't taken a hit his whole career, despite the criticism. It was staying in the lineup that was difficult for a 4 year period in SJ only hitting 50-56 games each. Some will point to the +/-, but that's tough to draw conclusions from when on such a bad team and has bounced back on a better Pittsburgh team.

He basically puts up a 70-80 point pace his whole career with a couple outliers in either direction and he only needs a small hot streak this year to be right back there.

For all the talk it gets, imo EK is basically the same player he always was, people just fell out of love with the type of game he plays, and he no longer plays for a broke ass budget franchise like the Melnyk Senators that basically used him as a system, in large part due to lack of other effective personnel and holes in the lineup.

Reactions: Alex1234

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Chychrun-Karlsson ($8.5M)
Sanderson-Zub
Who-Cares

Love EK65, of course I would take Karlsson over Chabot or Chychrun, but it doesn't seem realistic. Even at $8.5, we still need good defensive pairs, especially in the top-4. Need to replace Chychrun with that defensive guy (Karlsson's Methot) too besides trading Chabot. Highly unlikely.

Maybe Karlsson comes back here as a veteran after the contract is done if he is still performing/skating well/hasn't lost too much a step. That's the only scenario I see EK65 donning the Sens sweater again as an active player.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Dreger said on TSN radio yesterday that Staois called on Brayden Schenn - didn't elaborate much past that.

Shenn is 32 has 4 years left at 6.5 .. full NTC until 25/26 where it becomes a 15 team no trade M-NTC.

Blues are currently 8th in the West so a TDL move with Shen involved is unlikely for them even if he'd waive his NTC to go from a team with a crack at the playoffs that he has been battling with since 2017/18 to a team that is out of it.

So almost no chance for this year and the chances likely don't improve much with that NTC in the off season.

Last edited:

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I am like 60% sure now that staios is an idiot. And Poulin will back any decision that’s like “hmm this old vet who was once seen as a tough leader”

Sooo many comback wins and impropable playoffs lol.
Brayden Schenn will have just turned 33 at camp next year. It's not like he's a corpse. Keeping Norris' contract could arguably be just as, if not more, risky.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I could maybe see Schenn for Norris.
Could you have seen Zibanejad for Brassard? Only difference here is schenn is locked up as a contract that will be terrible at any point

Brayden Schenn will have just turned 33 at camp next year. It's not like he's a corpse. Keeping Norris' contract could arguably be just as, if not more, risky.
Norris doesn’t make THAT much more than schenn

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Could you have seen Zibanejad for Brassard? Only difference here is schenn is locked up as a contract that will be terrible at any point

Norris doesn’t make THAT much more than schenn
An argument could be that for one, Schenn is a much better player, goal scorer, and producer than Brassard ever was, and surely, none of us should be expecting a Zibanejad like level from Norris ever at any point. I think you would refer to Schenn as a clear top 6 center, at least as of today, whereas when we got Brassard, he was more of a 3rd line guy playing up in that spot.

And not all things are the same. Not every 32 Y/O turns in to mush immediately, nor does every prospect turn into a #1 center. Norris is already being paid like he is a star, unlike that old lame ass Zbad scenario of trading the guy because he's looking to get paid, and making a terrible deal value wise on paper.

I'm not advocating for it, but devils advocate that this at least makes some sense given Norris' career so far and his salary. I still have hope for Norris, but I also feel incredibly confident we would not be giving up the next Zibanejad.

Norris is probably just as at risk to be a 20-25g and 45-55p guy the next 4 years as Schenn is, and will be paid almost 2 mil more. Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: Loach

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Schenn has a NTC and arguably a worse contract than Norris.

Even if they are coming from a position where they view Norris as a negative due to his term+cap and injury history, a buyout this summer gets rid of almost all of his cap. Norris is under 26, so they get back 2/3rds of the cap, they also get a large cap credit because his salary was below his cap for a few seasons.

His buyout would have only 300k on the cap spread over the first 4 seasons and then roughly 1.5M for 8 seasons after that.

The only way that it makes sense is if:
1 - Sens are going to buyout Norris.
2 - There is no trade market for Norris without taking a bad contract.
3 - STL are willing to include multiple assets. So it's a way for the Senators to get something for Norris, but they have to take back what is arguably a bad contract with Schenn.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
An argument could be that for one, Schenn is a much better player, goal scorer, and producer than Brassard ever was, and surely, none of us should be expecting a Zibanejad like level from Norris ever at any point. I think you would refer to Schenn as a clear top 6 center, at least as of today, whereas when we got Brassard, he was more of a 3rd line guy playing up in that spot.

And not all things are the same. Not every 32 Y/O turns in to mush immediately, nor does every prospect turn into a #1 center. Norris is already being paid like he is a star, unlike that old lame ass Zbad scenario of trading the guy because he's looking to get paid, and making a terrible deal value wise on paper.

I'm not advocating for it, but devils advocate that this at least makes some sense given Norris' career so far and his salary. I still have hope for Norris, but I also feel incredibly confident we would not be giving up the next Zibanejad.

Norris is probably just as at risk to be a 20-25g and 45-55p guy the next 4 years as Schenn is, and will be paid almost 2 mil more. Just my 2 cents.
If we are giving them a center 7 years young give or take, I want extra back.

Players like schenn turn to mush quite quickly and suddenly.

Reactions: Alex1234 and Loach

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
and?

he is still a great player. better than Chabot or Chychrun easily, better than many of our forwards. and more than that he would elevate the play of the forwards.

you'd think that people would gain greater appreciation of what Karlsson was able to do with the Senators especially after seeing the trouble Brady, Chabot and Friends are having trouble accomplishing together after signing big ass contracts. but somehow it is the opposite.

like Brady and Chabot are seen as winners to be protected from the loser Karlsson.

makes no sense.
I think you're letting your Karlsson fandom cloud your judgment.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Karlsson for Chychrun only makes sense if they take Korpisalo and if we have a separate move to send Chabot somewhere else for a stable veteran LHD.

It has to be Karlsson taking Chabot's spot. Karlsson for Chabot makes a lot more sense.

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
I think you're letting your Karlsson fandom cloud your judgment.

im letting my I want a complete well balanced team with high skill that can win cloud my judgement.

you're letting dorion and melnyk of all people convince you that karlsson was the real problem with those teams.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
If we are giving them a center 7 years young give or take, I want extra back.

Players like schenn turn to mush quite quickly and suddenly.
I'm sure we all would, but you've had a lot of people here wondering how they're going to get out from under Norris' contract as if it's an albatross in itself, so there's two schools of thought on that. I don't think we can expect to get anything of much value given his performance this year. I wouldn't be surprised if the Blues said no tbh.

Not every player is the rule. I know what the statistics tell us that it is more likely than not.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
im letting my I want a complete well balanced team with high skill that can win cloud my judgement.

you're letting dorion and melnyk of all people convince you that karlsson was the real problem with those teams.
Lmao bro, of all people you could have used as an example that could've clouded my judgment you picked dumb and dumber?

Do I think Chabot is what this team needs to compete and be a legitimate cup contender? Absolutely not. Chychrun? Absolutely not. Would Karlsson help more than those 2? The likelihood is probably yes but given what this team actually needs I don't think he'd be a good target.

A bigger, stay at home defenceman who can clear the front of the net is what is lacking from this team's defence. There is not a single player on defence that can do that and Karlsson wouldn't either so what balance would he bring other than redundancy at a higher age?

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
Lmao bro, of all people you could have used as an example that could've clouded my judgment you picked dumb and dumber?

Do I think Chabot is what this team needs to compete and be a legitimate cup contender? Absolutely not. Chychrun? Absolutely not. Would Karlsson help more than those 2? The likelihood is probably yes but given what this team actually needs I don't think he'd be a good target.

A bigger, stay at home defenceman who can clear the front of the net is what is lacking from this team's defence. There is not a single player on defence that can do that and Karlsson wouldn't either so what balance would he bring other than redundancy at a higher age?

We need an upgrade on Chabot and we need a big stay at home D. both can be true.

Sanderson-Zub
Chychrun-Karlsson
Kleven/Bid D- Big D

Sanderson-Zub
Kleven-Karlsson
Chychrun- Big D

is actually pretty balanced. Karlsson made 6 ft 6 Jaycob Megna look like a legitimate top 4 d so I don't think it would be that hard to find cheaper big d that can make simple plays attached to Chychrun and Karlsson.

Sanderson-Zub take the hardest minutes so you have two other balanced pairs that aren't asked to do too much and will be able to succeed.

That is easier to do than finding another top 4 big RD because none are available.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad