Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
and?

he is still a great player. better than Chabot or Chychrun easily, better than many of our forwards. and more than that he would elevate the play of the forwards.

you'd think that people would gain greater appreciation of what Karlsson was able to do with the Senators especially after seeing the trouble Brady, Chabot and Friends are having trouble accomplishing together after signing big ass contracts. but somehow it is the opposite.

like Brady and Chabot are seen as winners to be protected from the loser Karlsson.

makes no sense.
No one thinks they’re winners. But like. Karlsson isn’t one either?

Lmao bro, of all people you could have used as an example that could've clouded my judgment you picked dumb and dumber?

Do I think Chabot is what this team needs to compete and be a legitimate cup contender? Absolutely not. Chychrun? Absolutely not. Would Karlsson help more than those 2? The likelihood is probably yes but given what this team actually needs I don't think he'd be a good target.

A bigger, stay at home defenceman who can clear the front of the net is what is lacking from this team's defence. There is not a single player on defence that can do that and Karlsson wouldn't either so what balance would he bring other than redundancy at a higher age?
This team needs like 2 strong defensive d men and a good two way forward. Karlsson is none of these and he’s one person and doesn’t improve us at all unless our goalies start not being total garbage.
Oh yeah. That’s ACTUALLY what we need. A goalie will stop easy shots to take their save % above .900

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
No one thinks they’re winners. But like. Karlsson isn’t one either?

Yes Karlsson is a winner.

He has the confidence, the skill, the compete, and the history that shows he is willing to do what it takes to win.

He elevates his game when the stakes are greater. That is the trait of winners. A trait this team badly needs.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Vegas looking for a top 6 forward.

They'll probably go after Guentzel but with how weak their pool is I'm not sure they can afford to trade what it would require to add him.

I could easily see Tarasenko being traded there to join his fellow former Blues teammates Pietrangelo and Barbashev.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Vegas looking for a top 6 forward.

They'll probably go after Guentzel but with how weak their pool is I'm not sure they can afford to trade what it would require to add him.

I could easily see Tarasenko being traded there to join his fellow former Blues teammates Pietrangelo and Barbashev.

If Vegas, I hope Staios absolutely tears those assholes a new hole in a trade.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Ott: Karlsson
Pitt: Korpisalo, Boston 1st 2024, Tyler Boucher, JBD

It should be Karlsson for Korpisalo straight up, unless they are retaining on top of taking Korpisalo.

Here is the reason it makes sense for Pittsburgh:
  • Crosby and Malkin are old. They have 2-3 years left max. That means creating cap flexibility over the next 2-3 years at the expense of long-term dead cap is valuable to Pittsburgh.
  • A Korpisalo buyout would get Pittsburgh out of 94 percent of Karlsson's cap hit over the next 2 seasons.
  • If Pittsburgh can acquire better players through trade of free agency with 9.4M x 2 than Karlsson, the trade makes sense assuming there is no market to dump Karlsson.

Karlsson has 30M remaining on his contract. Korpisalo has 20M. Both are bad contracts. Karlsson is buyout proof. Korpisalo can be bought out this offseason for an average of 1.33M per season.

Given that the Penguins are in 'win now' mode, that makes a lot of sense for them. Korpisalo's buyout cap hit is 333k next season and 833k the season after that.

With that said, there likely have to be more components to the trade in order to allow Pittsburgh to save face. If Boucher has zero-value league wide, or is only worth a mid-round pick, he would be a good throw in because he is a former 10th overall pick. Then maybe a condition that if Pittsburgh misses the playoffs, Ottawa and Pittsburgh swap BOS 1st for PIT 2024 2nd and 2025 3rd. Throw in Brannstrom, and Kubalik to bridge the cap, and Pittsburgh can put over how they got back into the 1st round, didn't have to retain, and they got two blue-chip highly drafted prospects in Brannstrom+Boucher, and a former 40 goal scorer in Kubalik....wait, do they have their own Garrioch who writes their puff pieces?

With all that said, it makes no sense unless we have a deal to send Chabot somewhere else.

Sens Vader

Jan 23, 2016
I wonder if we were scouting Gibson from the Ducks, not really much else there I think Staios would be looking at

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018
To be fair Chabot needs 3 seasons to rake as many points as EK got last season
To be fair, this team doesn't need more offense. It needs better defense.

Sure, the argument can be made that more offense means you're playing less defense, but I don't want a team that out scores its troubles. I want one that plays responsible defensive hockey. Defensive RD or bust!

Reactions: Alex1234

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
I wonder if we were scouting Gibson from the Ducks, not really much else there I think Staios would be looking at
Gudas, Lyubushkin, Henrique (if even just for July 1st for the latter two)

Also, who knows what other moves we have cooking up? If a core player is on the way out, it's very difficult to predict what the "grand scheme of things" really is.
To be fair, this team doesn't need more offense. It needs better defense.

Sure, the argument can be made that more offense means you're playing less defense, but I don't want a team that out scores its troubles. I want one that plays responsible defensive hockey. Defensive RD or bust!
Kinda funny because this is where Chabot provides the vast, vast majority of his value
It should be Karlsson for Korpisalo straight up, unless they are retaining on top of taking Korpisalo.

Here is the reason it makes sense for Pittsburgh:
  • Crosby and Malkin are old. They have 2-3 years left max. That means creating cap flexibility over the next 2-3 years at the expense of long-term dead cap is valuable to Pittsburgh.
  • A Korpisalo buyout would get Pittsburgh out of 94 percent of Karlsson's cap hit over the next 2 seasons.
  • If Pittsburgh can acquire better players through trade of free agency with 9.4M x 2 than Karlsson, the trade makes sense assuming there is no market to dump Karlsson.

Karlsson has 30M remaining on his contract. Korpisalo has 20M. Both are bad contracts. Karlsson is buyout proof. Korpisalo can be bought out this offseason for an average of 1.33M per season.

Given that the Penguins are in 'win now' mode, that makes a lot of sense for them. Korpisalo's buyout cap hit is 333k next season and 833k the season after that.

With that said, there likely have to be more components to the trade in order to allow Pittsburgh to save face. If Boucher has zero-value league wide, or is only worth a mid-round pick, he would be a good throw in because he is a former 10th overall pick. Then maybe a condition that if Pittsburgh misses the playoffs, Ottawa and Pittsburgh swap BOS 1st for PIT 2024 2nd and 2025 3rd. Throw in Brannstrom, and Kubalik to bridge the cap, and Pittsburgh can put over how they got back into the 1st round, didn't have to retain, and they got two blue-chip highly drafted prospects in Brannstrom+Boucher, and a former 40 goal scorer in Kubalik....wait, do they have their own Garrioch who writes their puff pieces?

With all that said, it makes no sense unless we have a deal to send Chabot somewhere else.
Great post. I personally struggle to see a scenario where bringing in Karlsson really makes sense, but this gives a good parameter for one of the routes we can go to get rid of Korpisalo.

Reactions: Sens Vader

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Gudas, Lyubushkin, Henrique (if even just for July 1st for the latter two)

Also, who knows what other moves we have cooking up? If a core player is on the way out, it's very difficult to predict what the "grand scheme of things" really is.

Kinda funny because this is where Chabot provides the vast, vast majority of his value

Great post. I personally struggle to see a scenario where bringing in Karlsson really makes sense, but this gives a good parameter for one of the routes we can go to get rid of Korpisalo.
Lyubushkin good. He will be FA and I think will be a good partner for our lefties.

And cost efficient.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Maybe a chabot or chychrun can actually elevate him? Maybe?
Possible, too, but I like Lyubushkin as a guy to make the 3rd pairing actually hard to play against. I'd also rather someone who can keep up a bit more offensively with those guys. Doesn't necessarily need to be someone better than Boosh

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Fair point. We definitely need a defensive dman and a goalie, which would cost about as much as EK does on his own.
If we had a goalie who saved the easy ones would we be look at another defensive d or would we be talking about how chabot and chychrun are the answer. It’s interesting

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad