Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
He's definitely not a big D.

He's a rock defensively, great skater, and can move the puck. Would be perfect for either Sanderson or Chabot. Definitely isn't going to be throwing guys around, but I'm expecting Kleven to be here for that kind of game next season.

One of the smartest D in the league, thinks the game quicker than most. One of the steadiest D in the league, that's exactly what I'd personally be looking for.

Would be very open to adding a ~2 million-ish size guy like Lybushkin to pair with Kleven next year on the bottom pairing, with JBD interchangeable.

He's perfect for the ~19/20 mins role flanking Chabot.
Trying to find an iso video or something but nothing

Hockey fans need to get on soccer fans level. I need videos on every player

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

Freidman is as tied in as you can get as an insider, but his own speculation is the opposite of reliable

A day before the Sens were docked a 1st he and Marek speculated and explained why they would not face harsh punishment.

How them going after Tanev (a defensive RD making a small amount) to them bringing in Karlsson because he plays the right side and Alfreddson is back is as fill in the blank, build with lego blocks as you can get

Starts by saying I'm speculating they might want to go after him, ends by saying I think they might stay the course

Last edited:

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Nashville has a few forwards to fill in the middle six that are UFAs this offseason that may not be too pricey.

Joseph being a guy who can properly support top 6 guys is amazing for us.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Erik Karlsson will be an Ottawa Senator again..but the time is not nigh!

Can see him come back at the tail end or the end of that contract if he is still able to skate as well as he does nowadays. Doubt Pens will retain enough to make a trade SENSible for Ottawa. He is still a special player, deployed a bit weird by Sullivan in Pittsburgh.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Karlsson (No retention)
2024 1st (Via Guentzel trade)
2025 1st or 1st Round prospect

For

Chychrun
Korpisalo (Bought out in July)

It's Korpisalo for Karlsson (swap of bad money, read my post a few pages back to see why this makes sense for PIT).

Then it's Chychrun for a late 1st (via Guentzel being traded) and a protected 1st.

It gets Pittsburgh out of 94 percent of Karlsson's cap over the next two years when it's their window.

They replace him with Chychrun, who they can try to extend. If he won't stay, they can move him next year if they are out of the playoffs again and recoup assets.

It lets both teams save face on two bad trades. Ottawa doesn't less in draft value back than what they have up for Chychrun, and Pittsburgh doesn't get back the 1st they gave up for Karlsson but the two trades being built into one big trade obfuscates that.

That gives Ottawa Sanderson/Zub as the shutdown pair. Then they experiment with Chabot/Karlsson, but probably need to find a #4 defensive type who can skate with Karlsson or Chabot.

The way I see it, Sanderson will play big minutes in his prime, so he could take some minutes beside Karlsson without it being a shutdown type of deployment.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Karlsson (No retention)

For

Chychrun

I don't think the Pens consider this at all.

Maybe Chychrun has the value of a couple 1sts if we retain on his contract, but he's not going to return 1sts from the Pens, who could finish low in the standings if they do indeed re-tool.

Karlsson may not have much value but I don't think he has significant negative value like Korpisalo.

He's still a top pairing defenseman with 41 points in 54 games on a bottom 10 team in goals scored, while Korpisalo has been one of the worst goalies in the league according to advanced stats.

I hate to keep banging on this drum but if we're acquiring Karlsson there really isn't a place for Chabot on this team. If Karlsson bumps him off the top PP permanently he's not going to justify his 8M cap hit or 9.5M average salary at all. It makes him redundant.

Could say the same for Chychrun to, but I'd argue to a lesser extent than Chabot. While not ideal, a Chychrun-Karlsson pairing would probably work better than a Chabot-Karlsson pairing.

Reactions: BonHoonLayneCornell

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Karlsson (No retention)

For

Chychrun

It's Korpisalo for Karlsson (swap of bad money, read my post a few pages back to see why this makes sense for PIT).

Then it's Chychrun for a late 1st (via Guentzel being traded) and a protected 1st.

It gets Pittsburgh out of 94 percent of Karlsson's cap over the next two years when it's their window.

They replace him with Chychrun, who they can try to extend. If he won't stay, they can move him next year if they are out of the playoffs again and recoup assets.

It lets both teams save face on two bad trades. Ottawa doesn't less in draft value back than what they have up for Chychrun, and Pittsburgh doesn't get back the 1st they gave up for Karlsson but the two trades being built into one big trade obfuscates that.

That gives Ottawa Sanderson/Zub as the shutdown pair. Then they experiment with Chabot/Karlsson, but probably need to find a #4 defensive type who can skate with Karlsson or Chabot.

The way I see it, Sanderson will play big minutes in his prime, so he could take some minutes beside Karlsson without it being a shutdown type of deployment.
Idk about the Karlsson for Korpisalo logic;

Essentially, you're saying Karlsson with 1.3 in retention so at 8.7 for 3 years, is worth Future considerations to another team, I'm not sure I can buy that. He's still 12th in 5v5 pts among D in the league, and won the Norris just last year.

I also don't think the Penguins are in need of immediate cap relief, particularly as you have them moving Guentzel. They'll have 17 mil in cap space next your to fill out 6 spots and I don't think anybody is expecting a big raise (maybe I'm wrong?)

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Pittsburgh is on the verge of bottoming out - they aren't going to trade their 1st rounders at this stage.

I hate to keep banging on this drum but if we're acquiring Karlsson there really isn't a place for Chabot on this team. If Karlsson bumps him off the top PP permanently he's not going to justify his 8M cap hit or 9.5M average salary at all. It makes him redundant.

Could say the same for Chychrun to, but I'd argue to a lesser extent than Chabot. While not ideal, a Chychrun-Karlsson pairing would probably work better than a Chabot-Karlsson pairing.

We don't have enough Zub's for all the Karlsson's on this team. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: LiseL and DrEasy

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Idk about the Karlsson for Korpisalo logic;

Essentially, you're saying Karlsson with 1.3 in retention so at 8.7 for 3 years, is worth Future considerations to another team, I'm not sure I can buy that. He's still 12th in 5v5 pts among D in the league, and won the Norris just last year.

I also don't think the Penguins are in need of immediate cap relief, particularly as you have them moving Guentzel. They'll have 17 mil in cap space next your to fill out 6 spots and I don't think anybody is expecting a big raise (maybe I'm wrong?)

A Karlsson/Korpisalo swap with a Korpisalo buyout frees up an average of 9.4M in 24-25 and 25-26 (18.8M total). Karlsson is buyout proof, and based on how limited the market was last offseason when he came off of a legendary season, there is almost certainly nowhere that would take him in a trade after this ho-hum season.

A Korpi/Karlsson swap assumes:
-Pittsburgh wants to win with Crosby still around.
-Therefore, Pittsburgh values cap over the next few seasons more than future cap down the road.
-Nobody will takes Karlsson in a trade without considerable short-term cap considerations.
-Pittsburgh can make their team better with 9.4M in open cap in 24-25 and 25-26 than they could with Karlsson at 10M in both of those seasons.

It makes perfect sense for Pittsburgh. It's less likely that Ottawa would want to do the trade than Pittsburgh. Ottawa could buyout Korpisalo and benefit from the same short-term cap flexibility. It is a get out of jail free card for Pittsburgh.

The only reason it remotely makes sense for Ottawa is because Karlsson coming back could be a very positive thing for the marketplace and help with season ticket renewals. Which is always going to factor in. They did well with tickets just based on the marketing campaign that they aren't Eugene Melnyk, but with the team missing the playoffs again, that goodwill will only take them so far.

Karlsson is buyout proof, nobody is going to want him because of his contract, and his NMC will ensure that they can't move him anyways unless he wants to go to the team that wants him.

It's not about cap relief. It's not like they need to move guys to get under the cap. It's about opening up cap to re-tool with and try to build a winner in Crosby's last few years. A Korpisalo buyout might as well be free cap for them, because when the actual dead cap hits their books starting in 2026-27, their window is probably closed for good and they are going to start a rebuild. Korpi's cap hit with a buyout is 333k next year and 666k the year after that. The 2Mish hits only start in 2026-27.

They could obviously broaden a Korpisalo/Karlsson swap with other pieces to help both sides save face. Something like swapping the BOS 1st for PIT 2nd and a roster player or prospect that bridges the gap between both picks, so Ottawa doesn't lose value but Dubas can claim he only took back cap similar to what he originally dumped, and he got back into the 1st round (Just like we did with Duchene! lol). The optics then look a little bit better for Pittsburgh.

Throwing Chychrun into the deal is more in the realm of throwing something at the wall. I don't think that makes all that much sense, but this is a discussion thread.

I do think the Korpisalo for Karlsson swap makes perfect sense given how it leverages the cap to help Pittsburgh in the short-term and Ottawa's ties to Karlsson, who is basically untrade-able anywhere else. I think that if Pittsburgh could take a mulligan on the Karlsson trade, they would do it. Korpisalo for Karlsson is about as close to a mulligan as they are going to get. I don't think Ottawa would add a 1st or major assets.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Would Sens fans consider moving Batherson and if so, what would the cost be?

The Senators have very few right handed forwards in their top 9. Unless I am missing someone, Pinto and Giroux are the only two other righties. Batherson is also signed to a cap hit that is below market-value for him when he plays at his best, and at worst market value when he plays less than his best. He has been up and down the last two years, but prior to getting hurt a few years back, he was the Senators best forward. He is also a late bloomer at every level so even know he is turning 26 this year, he might have another gear.

Maybe the new management would move him since he isn't their guy who they drafted and developed, but I think they would need to get a good piece back. It makes more sense to move Norris because from a team makeup POV, Sens don't have an internal replacement for Batherson but already have Stutzle/Pinto/Greig down the middle.

They need a defensively responsible veteran RHD, a starting goalie, a top 9 scoring winger to replace Tarasenko, and if they move Norris or Batherson, they need another top 9 forward as well.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
As much as I don't trust Korpisalo I think they almost have no choice to give him a shot next year. I looked at his metrics year over year and I don't know how he is this bad after being so good last year.

No one is taking him clearly. A buy out looks OK now but 6, 7, 8 years from now its ugly.

I'd sign Brossoit. 2 years 5 million total. Waive whoever is the worst goalie come training camp.

P.s the guys on tsn 1200 think this teams going to turn over half the roster this summer. They must be drunk.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad