Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I just don't understand what even warranted Korpisalo being in line for such a deal. I was so confused this summer when it happened, and I'm still confused. If a guy like Korpisalo is deserving of a 5 year deal, there must be a line up of others. Were other teams prepared to go there? His track record was flat out not very good, and incredibly inconsistent.

For all the shit the Jack Campbell deal gets, he actually put up stellar numbers every year leading up to that. And at least Husso didn't have a track record of not being very good on top of his one good year, plus not a lot of term.

There was probably a fair bit of demand given how many teams don't have a clear #1 goalie, but I'd be willing to bet we were the only team willing to throw out more than 3 years of term.

Husso is a good comparable as far as what he should have gotten. Yeah Detroit isn't happy paying him 4.75M but he's off the books after next season.

Probably had to overpay with term to get him to sign in Ottawa, which is why we shouldn't have signed him, but again Dorion didn't give a crap about risk/reward when he signed it. Just wanted to add the best goalie on the market in his eyes in a desperate attempt to save his own skin.

Reactions: bicboi64 and Cosmix

Beech

Nov 25, 2020
It's the typical deal signed by a desperate GM who knew that the contract wouldn't be his problem long term, it would be the problem of the next GM.

The way the goalie market is, 4M x 2 or 3 years for Korpisalo would have made sense. It wouldn't surprise me if he had higher AAV offers but they were 1-2 year contracts. The goalie market is difficult right now, there are not enough goalies to go around.

5 years is a ridiculous term for a goalie like Korpisalo. I don't know if I can even think of a comparable signing. Usually, teams go 2-3 years with goalies like that. Dorion likely didn't care because it ensured he got his goalie at a cap hit that worked and he was never going to have to deal with the fallout of the term.
2013, 2nd round: Marcus Hogberg.. for the duration of time he was here, a bust
2015, 7th round, Joey Dacord.. for the duration of time he was here, a bust
2017, 6th round, Jordan Hollett.. a bust
2018, 6th round, Kevin Mandolese, heading towards being a bust. will most likely be waived.
2019, 2nd round, Mads Soggard.. appears to be taking the scenic route to the NHL
2020, 3rd round, Leevi Merilianen.. as with Soggard. he is on the tourist plan and will get here sometime after they tour Parliament and the Byward Market. Don't heat supper just yet, it could take a while.

What were they to do? They had failed at acquiring goalies through FA or trades, from 2018-2023.. now they were desperate.

6 guys drafted, 8 year period.. zero successes.

2012 and back in time to 2008.. 3 guys drafted. One success.. Robin Lehner...

So, 13 years.. 9 drafts. One guy.... One guy in 13 years.

you have to go back to 2003 and Brian Elliot.

Since 2000.. 24 years.. 3 guys.. Emery, Elliot and Lehner. And with those 3 being 4-5 years part.

2004-2023.. 23 years.. ONE GUY

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
I think this off-season has proved that goalies are an absolute crapshoot and giving term to them is usually a mistake.

LA passed up Korpisalo in favour of a goaltending trio (Talbot, Rittich and Copley) and it's worked out well. Copley has sucked but Talbot and Rittich have save percentages above .910 and cost next to nothing at 1.875M for both.

Detroit regretted giving Husso 4.75M x 3YRs and signed both Reimer and Lyon as insurance in case he sucked again, which he has. Meanwhile Reimer has been solid and Lyon has saved their season, with both costing a total of 2.4M.
And what's worse is giving term to TWO of them. Once we signed Forsberg, we should have committed to using our young goalies in the pipeline + one of the Alex Auld types who always show up on waivers to complete the roster. Heck, Forsberg himself was one of them. We had Hellberg.

Or, don't sign Forsberg, and sign someone like Korpisalo (or hopefully, much better than Korpisali). BUT NOT BOTH.

On any given day we have at minimum Forsberg's salary sitting on the bench contributing nothing.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
It's the typical deal signed by a desperate GM who knew that the contract wouldn't be his problem long term, it would be the problem of the next GM.

The way the goalie market is, 4M x 2 or 3 years for Korpisalo would have made sense. It wouldn't surprise me if he had higher AAV offers but they were 1-2 year contracts. The goalie market is difficult right now, there are not enough goalies to go around.

5 years is a ridiculous term for a goalie like Korpisalo. I don't know if I can even think of a comparable signing. Usually, teams go 2-3 years with goalies like that. Dorion likely didn't care because it ensured he got his goalie at a cap hit that worked and he was never going to have to deal with the fallout of the term.
Ya, some good points there. One last hail mary he wouldn't have to deal with anyways. He decided he was the one he was going after and basically threw caution to the wind to get it done. Maybe another team went 4 and we had to go 5, but I find it all a bit perplexing when you analyze his career numbers, even with these valid points.
There was probably a fair bit of demand given how many teams don't have a clear #1 goalie, but I'd be willing to bet we were the only team willing to throw out more than 3 years of term.

Husso is a good comparable as far as what he should have gotten. Yeah Detroit isn't happy paying him 4.75M but he's off the books after next season.

Probably had to overpay with term to get him to sign in Ottawa, which is why we shouldn't have signed him, but again Dorion didn't give a crap about risk/reward when he signed it. Just wanted to add the best goalie on the market in his eyes in a desperate attempt to save his own skin.
I have to assume that's what drove the term up so much. As I mentioned above, maybe he went 5 to beat another willing to go 3. Plus the Ottawa tax you mention.

I guess I just look at his career numbers and they look more like waiver wire fodder than big contract, even in a starved market. It looks like it's basically the one good season and being tenured in the NHL with mild blips of moderate success that got him that.

Agreed on Husso. Good call. If that's what Korpisalo got, it would be a heck of a lot easier to clean up, and would have at least felt like it made sense at the time.

It's just crazy. We finally navigate away from all this dead cap and he left us one more doozy that has people talking seriously about taking on an 8 year dead cap hit.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
They might have to do that for 1 year or 2 if they decide to buy Korpi out
A mix of Stolarz Brossoit Quick or something while waiting for the 2025 UFA crop
We’re gonna have to play money ball with our goalie next year. Who’s the cheapest dude that can save .905

Need to hope that Norris has a Joseph like recovery this summer to regain some trade value.
If he has a Joseph like recovery he becomes a very very good top 6 center and we keep him

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
We’re gonna have to play money ball with our goalie next year. Who’s the cheapest dude that can save .905

If he has a Joseph like recovery he becomes a very very good top 6 center and we keep him
I wouldn't be surprised if Forsberg could climb his way back up to .905 If he gets the reigns to finish off the season as #1. Not saying he absolutely will, just that it's not that high of a bar for him to play 20 or so games at the .915 level required to get him there,

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Ceci is going to play 1000+ games in the NHL, and thus far all in a top 4 role. That's a ridiculously hard thing to do, and you would be sorted out extremely fast if you were not up to the task, like happens every year with guys

He's a very nice 2nd pairing D man to play for 19/21 minutes a game in a defensive role.
One of my personal HF all time favourites was a goal against on the Sens and the Ceci lol that followed. I remember explaining exactly how that goal was scored and why it wasn't Ceci's fault to one of our the high volume HF Sens posters that was part of the pretty prominent Ceci lol crowd. Intermission comes. Our very own Dave Poulin is doing commentary for TSN. He explains the goal exactly as I explained it, including emphasizing the goal wasn't Ceci's fault.

And our prominent poster replied? I don't need someone on TV to explain how a goal was scored

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Oh, well theres where we disagree. Not particularly interested in keeping him and not convinced its much of an option unless we pay him a stupid amount
dont think he makes a stupid amount. probably 7mill range

We still have another year at his lower cap

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
And what's worse is giving term to TWO of them. Once we signed Forsberg, we should have committed to using our young goalies in the pipeline + one of the Alex Auld types who always show up on waivers to complete the roster. Heck, Forsberg himself was one of them. We had Hellberg.

Or, don't sign Forsberg, and sign someone like Korpisalo (or hopefully, much better than Korpisali). BUT NOT BOTH.

On any given day we have at minimum Forsberg's salary sitting on the bench contributing nothing.
Forsberg is not "always on the bench"; he seems injury prone!

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

I see Norris as more of a shooter than a playmaker and line driver. We need another playmaking puck carrying center. Ridley may turn out to be that Center.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
2013, 2nd round: Marcus Hogberg.. for the duration of time he was here, a bust
2015, 7th round, Joey Dacord.. for the duration of time he was here, a bust
2017, 6th round, Jordan Hollett.. a bust
2018, 6th round, Kevin Mandolese, heading towards being a bust. will most likely be waived.
2019, 2nd round, Mads Soggard.. appears to be taking the scenic route to the NHL
2020, 3rd round, Leevi Merilianen.. as with Soggard. he is on the tourist plan and will get here sometime after they tour Parliament and the Byward Market. Don't heat supper just yet, it could take a while.

What were they to do? They had failed at acquiring goalies through FA or trades, from 2018-2023.. now they were desperate.

6 guys drafted, 8 year period.. zero successes.

2012 and back in time to 2008.. 3 guys drafted. One success.. Robin Lehner...

So, 13 years.. 9 drafts. One guy.... One guy in 13 years.

you have to go back to 2003 and Brian Elliot.

Since 2000.. 24 years.. 3 guys.. Emery, Elliot and Lehner. And with those 3 being 4-5 years part.

2004-2023.. 23 years.. ONE GUY

7Th round bust daccord who just got better every year... What?

Need to hope that Norris has a Joseph like recovery this summer to regain some trade value.
Trading Norris at a loss or buying him out at his lowest value would be so dumb.

Chabot tho I've seen enough time to go. Especially to keep chychrun.

Reactions: Alex1234

ottawagm

May 6, 2023
Korpisalo + Brannstrom + BOS 1st -> Vejmelka + Dumba

Gets us out of the Korpi contract for a price and gives us a look at Dumba before UFA.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Thinking about a deal around Chychrun @ 50% and Romanov. I think there could be something there
Would be unbelievable if he were playing on the right side, I'd take him over Chychrun without thinking twice.

As is, the team has it's puckmovers on the left side, and shutdown/defensive guys on the right. Not sure there's a fit for him with the current roster construction, but he's exactly what we need on the right side.

They won't be getting anything back as good as Romanov though, that would be very surprising.

BrawlFan

Apr 17, 2009
I really really hope we keep chych. 7.5x8. Keep him on the right. The chemistry will come. Once chych gets comfortable here long term he will play well.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
They shouldn't buy Korpisalo out. We aren't in cap trouble and he could bounce back next season.

I would look to add a reliable consistent backup who isn't a game stealer but can provide a save percentage starting with .9 in case Korpisalo sucks again.

Reimer is a good example. He isn't a #1 but 14 of the 15 years he's been in the league he's had a save percentage at .900 or higher.

Compare that to Korpisalo who is 5/10. Can be top 10/15 in save percentage one year and the next he'll sink your team.
I agree with the point your making. Even a low .900 goaltender is better than what we have. Having said that, I hope we go after higher character guys like Reimer. No need for homophobes here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad