GDT: Free Agency: Dr Strangedubas or How We Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Nerd

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Epic Neal Time

Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
This lineup intrigues me. Hate Granlund in the top 6 but L3 as a shutdown line sounds nice with Smith spreading the offensive wealth a bit.

Biggest problem is finding a fit for Granlund. Dude just looks bad on every line. Especially now that we have a more defense oriented bottom 6

Guentzel - Crosby - Rakell
Granlund - Malkin - Rust
Smith - Acciari - Nieto
DOC - Eller - Nylander
Carter

Graves - Letang
Pettersson - Petry
Smith - Rutta
POJ - Ruhwedel

Dumping Granlund and trading POJ for a similar tier middle 6 LW feels ideal. Maybe you could switch Granlund and DOC to try him in a bigger role.

Jarry
Nedjelkovic

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Expected Metro final standings
Carolina
NJD
Rangers
Isles
CLB
Caps
Pitt
Philly

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Man, Eller at 2.5 is indefensible. Just a waste of cap on a nothing player. There are/were guys out there cheaper to get who would be better.

Yeah I agree. I said it at the time. You can have a nuanced opinion though.

The 3rd line isn't good because Granlund stinks and Eller is a 4C. But if the 3rd line can just not hemorrhage goals against, it's whatever.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
"Touch grass" is starting to slide into "rent free" territory when it comes to annoying overused phrases.

Not that it doesn't have some merit in this case.

Reactions: Gurglesons

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015

The 3rd line isn't good because Granlund stinks and Eller is a 4C. But if the 3rd line can just not hemorrhage goals against, it's whatever.
You'd have to move out Granlund and improve on him to have a passable 3rd line with Eller and whoever else on it.

DOC - Eller - ???

Doesn't look so good.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Well, we can still do Granlund, Petry, 1st, for EK, add another team to eat 2M and we add a pick. ;)
How about Petry ,Granlund and POJ in stead? Clearly they were in on him. Maybe they can pick the convo up again?

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Look at what LA did with their goalie situation. By no means is Rob Blake a smart GM, but he’s not a moron.

He saw the same mediocre group of goalies available and said well, we’ll just sign a couple of these idiots for 1 year because we literally have to.

Maybe a trade will become available later in the summer or midseason. Maybe one of those idiots will somehow do what goalies do and randomly become good for a bit.

However, they didn’t **** the bed by signing a crappy goalie for 5 years because “who else is better right now!????????”

Dubas is a fool.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ

I think that’s a good microcosm of the problems facing this team— it can easily tread water, sure. But it’s not the kind of roster that can go white hot and pile on a 12 game undefeated run in February when things matter, or reel off 3 straight games in a tough playoff series in April. It’s going to hang with the wildcard teams all season long, and quite possibly not even make the postseason again.

Dubas can certainly try to fix it. But again, we are now 3 GMs into the Sullivan era and it’s pretty clear that this roster is what he likes. I just don’t think it’s good enough.

Reactions: Andy99

Josey Wales

May 16, 2022
I don’t know how anyone can have any hope regarding Dubas after today. The Jarry decision alone is enough for me to end my “give him the benefit of the doubt” period. That is going to be a negative value contract within 2-3 years if we’re lucky.
Because The season starts tomorrow?

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Surprised by the number of signings. But I fail to see how free agency was gonna solve our problems anyway.

Was still holding out hope our 14th could have been packaged for an impact wing for next season.

Reactions: Andy99

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
"Gentlemen, it's been an honor"

titanic-band.gif

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
You'd have to move out Granlund and improve on him to have a passable 3rd line with Eller and whoever else on it.

DOC - Eller - ???

Doesn't look so good.

Again, the 3rd line isn't going to be good. It just has to not lose them games. It's not the end of the world to have a bad 3rd line as long as it's not hemorrhaging goals against.

I think that’s a good microcosm of the problems facing this team— it can easily tread water, sure. But it’s not the kind of roster that can go white hot and pile on a 12 game undefeated run in February when things matter, or reel off 3 straight games in a tough playoff series in April. It’s going to hang with the wildcard teams all season long, and quite possibly not even make the postseason again.

Dubas can certainly try to fix it. But again, we are now 3 GMs into the Sullivan era and it’s pretty clear that this roster is what he likes. I just don’t think it’s good enough.

I don't think there is any way realistically out of this. The Penguins are the late stage Red Wings at this point.

The only way you are going to change that is either a time machine to age the core back 10 years or just nuking the team and rebuilding.

Reactions: HandshakeLine

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Expected Metro final standings
Carolina
NJD
Rangers
Isles
CLB
Caps
Pitt
Philly
Buddy, the Caps and Jackets? C'mon now, that's overly dramatic even for you.

NJ
Carolina
NYR
NYI
Pittsburgh
Washington
Columbus
Philly

I wish this team would be bad enough to suck shit like you think they will, but they're gonna be mediocre and a borderline wild card team--which is the *much* worse outcome.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Again, the 3rd line isn't going to be good. It just has to not lose them games. It's not the end of the world to have a bad 3rd line as long as it's not hemorrhaging goals against.

I don't think there is any way realistically out of this. The Penguins are the late stage Red Wings at this point.

The only way you are going to change that is either a time machine to age the core back 10 years or just nuking the team and rebuilding.
I mean, there’s always the long shot chance of us stumbling on a rookie Marino-esque gem in the rough, or two, and letting them contribute, but yeah, that’s not realistic at all.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

And we just signed our Abelkader and Ericsson deals with Jarry and Graves.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Buddy, the Caps and Jackets? C'mon now, that's overly dramatic even for you.

NJ
Carolina
NYR
NYI
Pittsburgh
Washington
Columbus
Philly

I wish this team would be bad enough to suck shit like you think they will, but they're gonna be mediocre and a borderline wild card team--which is the *much* worse outcome.

I'd flip the Islanders and Penguins but yeah this looks about right otherwise.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015

You trust DOC and Eller to not bleed goals?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad