GDT: Free Agency: Dr Strangedubas or How We Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Nerd

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
They factually need to make more moves because the team isn't cap compliant.
We said that so many times last year and then they f***ed it up too. :laugh: I know Hextall was bad and all, but I don’t think it’s a given that we won’t do something incredibly stupid to become cap compliant.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
My major hope is that Dubas can swing some moves as the season goes on but I don’t think we have anything of value to parlay with that we can move.
I don’t know how anyone can have any hope regarding Dubas after today. The Jarry decision alone is enough for me to end my “give him the benefit of the doubt” period. That is going to be a negative value contract within 2-3 years if we’re lucky.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Anybody chanting fire Dubas after he signed a 7 year deal is wholly out of touch with reality. Both in terms of where this team's been at for years, and will be moving forward. :laugh:

I'm not stoked with the moves, but for a team that's been firmly in "play it safe and boring" mode for years, with zero attractive assets to burn via trade, nobody should be surprised by this lukewarm puddle of piss. :laugh:
The same people chanting it will also die to defend Mike Sullivan’s name, so, yea.

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Okay, a few minor moves won't fix the obvious problem of a washed up 35 year old at 3C.

And a washed up 38 year old at 4C too!
And I’ve seen stacked teams on paper be shit. Chemistry and getting hot at the right time are a thing.

Got some bad news for you if you think this team is getting hot. We gonna enter the season with potentially one forward under the age of 30.

Reactions: farscape1

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Another destination for Carter besides Philly that Carter might be willing to waive for could be Anaheim. He could probably just live in the same house as when he was a King, and they seem okay with overpaying for veteran leadership like Chicago.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
My ignore list probably grew by about a factor of 2 today, some of the people in this place desperately need to touch grass :laugh:

Okay, a few minor moves won't fix the obvious problem of a washed up 35 year old at 3C.

The job of the 3rd line is to not get scored on. If Eller can do that, it's whatever.

The 3rd line isn't going to be good as long as Granlund is on it. As long as it's eating shit defensive minutes while not hemorrhaging goals, it's whatever.

We said that so many times last year and then they f***ed it up too. :laugh: I know Hextall was bad and all, but I don’t think it’s a given that we won’t do something incredibly stupid to become cap compliant.

There are not many ways for this team to get cap compliant, though. The worst case scenario is that they trade Pettersson or Petry to become cap compliant, but I'm much more okay with trading either of those guys now that they have Graves.

Reactions: Rave7215

The Grim Reaper

Apr 18, 2017
Hobart, Tasmania
There’s always a chance, sure. I just think the confusing “win, but rebuild” mandate isn’t a viable option and that the coaching staff and team are in denial about the actual state of the roster.
Well, blame Crosby, Malkin, and Letang. Of course we need to rebuild from the ground up, but they still want to try and win.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
There’s always a chance, sure. I just think the confusing “win, but rebuild” mandate isn’t a viable option and that the coaching staff and team are in denial about the actual state of the roster.
The "win but rebuild" thing's been bullshit since they first started saying it a few years ago. What they really mean is "be boring while we wait for Sid to retire". :laugh:

-edit- We agree entirely on the fact that this team, coaches and players alike, thinks way too highly of themselves anymore for a team that's been an afterthought for half a decade running.

Reactions: HandshakeLine

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Another destination for Carter besides Philly that Carter might be willing to waive for could be Anaheim. He could probably just live in the same house as when he was a King, and they seem okay with overpaying for veteran leadership like Chicago.
I think best case scenario is you get Carter to waive at the TDL for a team that wants vet depth for the playoffs. But there’s better vets in who aren’t ancient, so I don’t rate it particularly likely.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
My ignore list probably grew by about a factor of 2 today, some of the people in this place desperately need to touch grass :laugh:

The job of the 3rd line is to not get scored on. If Eller can do that, it's whatever.

The 3rd line isn't going to be good as long as Granlund is on it. As long as it's eating shit defensive minutes while not hemorrhaging goals, it's whatever.

There are not many ways for this team to get cap compliant, though. The worst case scenario is that they trade Pettersson or Petry to become cap compliant, but I'm much more okay with trading either of those guys now that they have Graves.

Defends Jack Johnson contract.
Defends Jeff Carter contract.
Defends the Dubas nightmare UFA scenario.

No surprises here…

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015

Man, Eller at 2.5 is indefensible. Just a waste of cap on a nothing player. There are/were guys out there cheaper to get who would be better.

Reactions: TNT87

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Well, blame Crosby, Malkin, and Letang. Of course we need to rebuild from the ground up, but they still want to try and win.
Nah, they could honestly have tried to hold off the rebuild, but they’d need to be way more active than they have been. Not buying out Granlund was a huge tip off there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad